• Poll closed .

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Opening line: SJSU -5 Friday night at SJSU 730 PM PST CBSSports

Line up your predictions, post updates, info, insights, stats, embed tweets, videos, pics, whatever you want … make your picks and post as the game progresses. Anything you want related to UNLV at UNLV.

Their QB, Cordeiro is going to be a problem.. Much more mobile than I originally thought.. This game is going to be won or lost based on our defensive ability to create pressure & CONTAINMENT.. Defense has to set the edge & make sure they contain him inside the box.. SJSU’s play action game is nasty, if they fail to do so, Cordeiro has the ability to have a field day.. I think it will be close, but this is a huge test & on the road..

Going to go with SJSU, although I hope the Rebs pull it out & take a stronghold of the division..

SJSU 34
UNLV 24

I think we play our best game of season and get to an almost unfathomable 5-1. It’s possible I’m going with my heart over my head on this one…

UNLV 35
San Jose St 26

Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
I think SJSU's WR corps will end up eating our soft man packages. We will run the ball relatively effectively but lose the turnover battle on the road. It's competitive game late, but we give SJSU a little too much of a lead and we can't 2nd half miracle our way out of the mess we make for ourselves.

SJSU 28
UNLV 21

Reactions: Jay's Rebel's
Bruh..rebels at 6:00 pm at T&M. Game is at 7:30.

this is a tough one.

Couple thoughts for me, 1st, Cal was a 13 pt fav and we nearly won. Now, on the last game, I felt we'd had a 4 quarter 'handover' dating back the the 4th qtr. of the Utah St game, then turned on the jets in the 4th of the NM game. I think momentum from the 4th in the NM game carries and we win by a possession, but we have a flat 3rd quarter and sweat it out.

Granted its a lot of heart talking, my head has me pretty concerned.

UNLV has to be aggressive on D, once they attack UNM they got back in the game, that said Jose passing game scares me alot.

Couple thoughts for me, 1st, Cal was a 13 pt fav and we nearly won. Now, on the last game, I felt we'd had a 4 quarter 'handover' dating back the the 4th qtr. of the Utah St game, then turned on the jets in the 4th of the NM game. I think momentum from the 4th in the NM game carries and we win by a possession, but we have a flat 3rd quarter and sweat it out.

Granted its a lot of heart talking, my head has me pretty concerned.
Fo me I didn't see the start of the UNM game that much of a "hangover". UNM came with some brand new looks and a new QB that we were not ready for. Then we start a drive against a tricky defense and our receiver litterally pitches the ball right into their hands.

Sure it took a while to figure it out on both sides of the ball, but we eventually adjusted.

It will be interesting to see how our defense responds this week. We haven't faced too many pass happy teams this season. Our DB's have been burnt for sure, but it seems like our LB's haven't dropped into coverage (which could help?) . But that stuff is hard to see on TV.

But I agree I hope we bring the momentum of the last half going into this next game.

Fo me I didn't see the start of the UNM game that much of a "hangover". UNM came with some brand new looks and a new QB that we were not ready for. Then we start a drive against a tricky defense and our receiver litterally pitches the ball right into their hands.

Sure it took a while to figure it out on both sides of the ball, but we eventually adjusted.

It will be interesting to see how our defense responds this week. We haven't faced too many pass happy teams this season. Our DB's have been burnt for sure, but it seems like our LB's haven't dropped into coverage (which could help?) . But that stuff is hard to see on TV.

But I agree I hope we bring the momentum of the last half going into this next game.
The no-huddle offence USU and UNM works for a limited time. If YOU AND ELLE WE come and prepare for it, we will be fine.

This will be a good football game, but their offense will spread us out and be too much. Cordeiro will have a big game. The yards per catch their receivers get are impressive. I see us having red zone issues on offense.

UNLV 20
SJSU 31

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I hope the coaching staff is using all of the experts picking SJSU as motivation so UNLV comes out and plays their best game of the year!

Have you ever heard of the ides of October?
They look better than mediocre to me, certainly not top 25, but not even a little close to the bottom 25, which is where we are usually at. My eyes say something, heart says same … brain says - don’t be so fn stupid, you know how this ends, you have multi-decades of proof.

If I were a first year UNLV fan and didn’t know the history, based on what I’ve seen, I’d say they end up with 8 or 9 wins.

SJSU 21
UNLV 17

It'll be a surprising D battle. HOWEVER, I think UNLV can win this with an emphasis on the running game

Reactions: 220reb
SJSU 21
UNLV 17

It'll be a surprising D battle. HOWEVER, I think UNLV can win this with an emphasis on the running game

Agree, Rebs will have to be effective running the ball..Its cliche, but for this game it's true.

I think you may see them actually try to stretch the field early once or twice to loosen things up for the run game...

I think the SJSU QB has yet to throw a pick this year.

He's due...

All the simulations and betting lines that have SJSU winning can't factor in heart! UNLV has a huge ship on their shoulder, and will come out with vengeance for the last three decades on their mind! If the coaching staff have them ready to play, they will get the job done. UNLV by 6.

All the simulations and betting lines that have SJSU winning can't factor in heart! UNLV has a huge ship on their shoulder, and will come out with vengeance for the last three decades on their mind! If the coaching staff have them ready to play, they will get the job done. UNLV by 6.

This is a different team, no doubt (at least so far).

Even a year ago, they go down by 17 to anybody they weren't coming back.

They have found different ways to win (relied on the run game one week, passing game the next) Defense has been very consistent so far.

I like what I see. I think this is a pretty evenly matched game in terms of talent. SJSU doesn't have much in the way of a homefield advantage but they are at home.

Rebs could definitely win this game. Just think SJSU might edge this one in a close game...

UNLV will have to play better than they have the last two games if they are going to win this week. I think a slow start will do us in.

UNLV 27
SJSU 38

Reactions: j. spilotro
Unless Cordiero plays like cordero, I think we're in over our heads in this one. Hope the boys prove me wrong.
UNLV-24 SJSU-31

I watched SJSU play at Auburn close. I think we're going to have our hands full. This would be a huge victory for UNLV. I'm not making any predictions but I can't wait to watch this one!
Auburn isn't very good this year. Harsin is likely gone after the year. SJSU vs Wyoming is good game.
If UNLV jump into an early lead, I think the Rebels will win it.

Reactions: reagan21
Auburn is down right now, still a lot of 4 and 5 star dudes on that sideline though..
Is Robbins alright for the game? I have not seen anybody mentioning anything but the way he ran against UNM...kinda soft.

Auburn isn't very good this year. Harsin is likely gone after the year. SJSU vs Wyoming is good game.
If UNLV jump into an early lead, I think the Rebels will win it.
Auburn is @ #2 Georgia this weekend, @ #9 Ole Miss next week, then a bye before returning home to face Arkansas. The money guys at Auburn want Harsin gone so bad, he'll probably have to find his own ride home from Oxford!

Reactions: LocoRebel
Is Robbins alright for the game? I have not seen anybody mentioning anything but the way he ran against UNM...kinda soft.

UNM plays good run defense. They swarm to the ball well. Robbins needs that extra step to get going. UNM defenders were getting to him a lot before he got turned up field. That's why I think Arroyo gave Reece an extra series in the game. He's a little quicker..

Wasn't so much what Robbins didn't do but more what UNM was doing...

Sometimes the other guys make plays...

UNM plays good run defense. They swarm to the ball well. Robbins needs that extra step to get going. UNM defenders were getting to him a lot before he got turned up field. That's why I think Arroyo gave Reece an extra series in the game. He's a little quicker..

Wasn't so much what Robbins didn't do but more what UNM was doing...

Sometimes the other guys make plays...
SJSU defense seems to be as good as ours statistically. They are definitely ranked better than UNM but that may be due to the Lobos' offence ineptitude? SJSU defense is fast. They blitz a lot against Wyoming. The short pass and screen plays are going to be important as the running game. They are prone to long bombs and we have the WR for that.
Yeah, Robbins never seems to be very comfortable in that UNM game. Rocky Long's defense is something else.

SJSU defense seems to be as good as ours statistically. They are definitely ranked better than UNM but that may be due to the Lobos' offence ineptitude? SJSU defense is fast. They blitz a lot against Wyoming. The short pass and screen plays are going to be important as the running game. They are prone to long bombs and we have the WR for that.
Yeah, Robbins never seems to be very comfortable in that UNM game. Rocky Long's defense is something else.
UNLV had trouble recognizing much of anything against UNM. But that’s Long. I mean, I’ll call it quirky, unorthodox, gimmicky … doesn’t matter if it works. It’s almost akin to the old AFA/Princeton offense or even old LMU offense … it’s rare, it’s something you don’t see often, it’d hard to practice against; you need to get used to it. I wasn’t worried down 17-0. Because they weren’t panicking or pressing … they got used to it and adjusted accordingly.

AFA football offense is the same type of thing.

UNLV had trouble recognizing much of anything against UNM. But that’s Long. I mean, I’ll call it quirky, unorthodox, gimmicky … doesn’t matter if it works. It’s almost akin to the old AFA/Princeton offense or even old LMU offense … it’s rare, it’s something you don’t see often, it’d hard to practice against; you need to get used to it. I wasn’t worried down 17-0. Because they weren’t panicking or pressing … they got used to it and adjusted accordingly.

AFA football offense is the same type of thing.

The impressive thing about Rocky's defense is that it was ahead of it's time and its held up.

He created it because he saw how football was trending with more and more spread offenses. He knew the days of teams playing base 4-3 or 3-4 80% of the time and nickle and dime in long yardage situations was coming to an end.

He designed a defense that could basically stay on the field all the time..

We've talked about this before. Sanford adds him to his staff, I honestly think he makes a few bowls...

And he might have got those locker rooms..