• SJSU by 1-5 points

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • SJSU by 6-10 points

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • SJSU by 11 or more points

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t know. Maybe the extension talks and poaching talks will go on hiatus. UNLV has been outmatched in every phase of the game, getting their asses smoked without much of a fight.

Will it be a magical second half? Or are the Rebels simply a product of playing bad teams up until now?

It's blowout city, no need to worry about P5 taking our coach not happening.

Defense just horrible, you think they be ready to play this type of offense, granted San Jose is way better then garbage UNM is.

Clearly UNLV not ready for top MWC teams, but at least conference is so bad,

4 and 2 is not bad. Game is over

AFA next week

Reactions: j. spilotro
Brum, concussion? Or his back. He grabbed his head early and looked pretty shaky afterward

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It's blowout city, no need to worry about P5 taking our coach not happening.

Defense just horrible, you think they be ready to play this type of offense, granted San Jose is way better then garbage UNM is.

Clearly UNLV not ready for top MWC teams, but at least conference is so bad,

4 and 2 is not bad. Game is over

AFA next week
Well - I hope there is some pride and some fight. I’d hate to see that compromised because that IS, sadly, a program trait …

It's disappointing that they didn't even show up. A chance to take control of the division. They were crap on both sides of the ball from the beginning. The defense couldn't tackle worth a damn on their first drive. Our second possession we had someone open on 3rd down for a 1st down and nice gain and Doug wasn't even in the same state with the ball. His accuracy was horrible early.

It's disappointing that they didn't even show up. A chance to take control of the division. They were crap on both sides of the ball from the beginning. The defense couldn't tackle worth a damn on their first drive. Our second possession we had someone open on 3rd down for a 1st down and nice gain and Doug wasn't even in the same state with the ball. His accuracy was horrible early.
A complete no show, no compete, low effort, crappy fundamental type of game. Typical UNLV football reared it’s ugly head tonight.

It’s not like SJSU is a juggernaut, though we made them look like it. It’s the first decent team we’ve played and we got our asses completely handed to us and this wasn’t because Doug got hurt.

Hopefully they shake it off and find a different form. I don’t think AFA will be much easier.

The next 2 are 0-2 at best! We are not a good enough team to beat AFA or ND on the road. Next best chance is SDSU.

This UNLV game is brought to you by McDonalds McFlurry machine sometimes it works but it’s mostly broken. Always broken.

Reactions: RebelScrub
We r a Top 75ish team. Missing our 2nd and 3rd receiver hurt a bit! We are lucky our division is very weak this year. yea we r getting better. Still no excuse why we should not have our pick of the TOP MWC talent or other conferences close to it. NONE OF THE EXCUSES.

Completely disappointed by the showing tonight. As stated, can’t even blame the Brumfield injury as this was a dud from the very beginning. Reminded me of the Reno game last year. Really hope they can just forget about this loss and move on. Lay an egg next week (and ND the following week) and this season could go south in a hurry,

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Ouch.. Couldn’t watch the game, but a loss wasn’t surprising.. Coridero is the real deal, from a MW perspective.. I expected a better fight tho.. What’s the word on Doug, how serious is it?

I haven’t heard how serious it is … but it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, he gets injured quite a bit.

This really did look like the old Rebels. UNLV didn’t top them in one area and simply were not competitive from the opening minute. We allowed Cordeiro to do whatever he wanted, when he wanted. We weren’t sure if the secondary was strong because they really hadn’t been tested - we did well with deep coverage, some tight coverage by Nohl. But guys were open over the middle and to the sides all night long. He could have picked his target, and he did. Not enough pressure, missed tackles, allowed Cordeiro huge chunks on the ground … had that slippery back corralled several times but he still managed to find yards because UNLV just couldn’t tackle either, another Rebel historic staple.

I figured we’d be able to pound them a bit but Robbins didn’t have many holes at all. And SJSU tackled and swarmed very well. Doug wasn’t effective but he’s started slow before … and then he gets hurt. Friel wasn’t horrible … but let’s face it, a lot of that yardage came via soft underneath stuff that was allowed. A couple nice deep passes but the game had been long decided.

Worst part? The effort was low, perseverance was just as low. They took a jab and folded like a house of cards and just waited for the final whistle to end the misery.

Very disappointing to not compete.

It’s easy to say, eh, just one of those games, they just weren’t focused … and of course that does happen sometimes, even though they shouldn’t, one game is 7% of the entire season. And this was a HUGE game for the Rebels. They weren’t ready at all. Very disappointing.

But it ends that silly poaching or contract extension talk for now.

I had a feeling about this one, that’s why I picked UNLV to lose by 20+. Not that I’m a clairvoyant, it’s just …. history. Until UNLV can completely snap that program defining crap, it’ll be in the back of my mind against decent teams.

A complete no show, no compete, low effort, crappy fundamental type of game. Typical UNLV football reared it’s ugly head tonight.

It’s not like SJSU is a juggernaut, though we made them look like it. It’s the first decent team we’ve played and we got our asses completely handed to us and this wasn’t because Doug got hurt.

Hopefully they shake it off and find a different form. I don’t think AFA will be much easier.
No it definitely won’t be hopefully they keep it close if they get rolled and then again by ND the season could go south. Even if they lose the next two as I suspect they still have a good shot at a bowl game as long as they don’t implode.

No it definitely won’t be hopefully they keep it close if they get rolled and then again by ND the season could go south. Even if they lose the next two as I suspect they still have a good shot at a bowl game as long as they don’t implode.
Eh, the way I handle it is that we will be, at worst, and most probably, 4-4 headed into November with a chance to make a bowl. It’d be a poor bowl, probably the Frosted Flakes Tony the Tiger Bowl vs Bismarck State … one which “matters” at the moment but you forget about in two weeks … but it’s progress.

Nobody thought we’d win the west. We won’t, we blew an opportunity we never thought we’d have in the first place.

Eh, the way I handle it is that we will be, at worst, and most probably, 4-4 headed into November with a chance to make a bowl. It’d be a poor bowl, probably the Frosted Flakes Tony the Tiger Bowl vs Bismarck State … one which “matters” at the moment but you forget about in two weeks … but it’s progress.

Nobody thought we’d win the west. We won’t, we blew an opportunity we never thought we’d have in the first place.
The most important thing about a bowl is the extra practice time. We don’t get that extra 4-5 weeks every year that successful programs do annually.

If we make the Frosted Flakes bowl the UNLV AD will paint that as a huge achievement and a program defining moment. Giving himself a fat raise while we play Surf State Palisades in Basketball.

I would be ok with that because it is progress and we should be poised for even better next season.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We r a Top 75ish team. Missing our 2nd and 3rd receiver hurt a bit! We are lucky our division is very weak this year. yea we r getting better. Still no excuse why we should not have our pick of the TOP MWC talent or other conferences close to it. NONE OF THE EXCUSES.
What scares me on offense without 2 receivers no change instead playing to strengths of kids playing, 28 yrds on 1st run, let's pass it next 3 plays, SJST went to TE early. On defense DE crashed everytime on RB, safeties playing pass just getting killed on run.

AFA is just run, if UNLV plays 2 deep on one play just fire DC coordinator.

UNLV is better this yr, just not top MWC team, next yr in yr 4, they take next step, SJST wouldn't win 3 games in PAC at best.

Anyone worried about this staff leaving for P5 coaching job, not even close to reality.
Next yr if this team doesn't compete for MWC you let him go and bring in top coach to finish job, MWC is garbage, it's worst Div 1 conference on par with MAC.
It's nice we beat garbage, instead of getting beat, but 40 to 7 no way a top coach let's this happen.

I hope at least 30k for AFA shows up, hope staff will make adjustments instead of will do what we do!

Hoops is here

Reactions: rebel5280
AFA is just run, if UNLV plays 2 deep on one play just fire DC coordinator.
Air force is a pass second offense, but if you're consistently putting 9 in the box they will beat you with the play action. They have 7 receivers averaging 15.0 yards a reception and 5 of those averaging 22+ yards a reception and two guys with 40+ yard a reception. They can beat you deep if you get lazy in coverage, and it just takes one or two big plays to make that FS stay out of the box which means you can't stack 9 in the box.

Sanford was the equivalent of that miniature golf hole where the hole is in the top of a volcano. You hit it and it almost goes in but then it comes right back to you or goes to the side. Rocky would have gotten Sanford firmly cemented into UNLV lore, and for the right reasons.

100 emoji, thumbs up emoji, fist bump emoji...

(I hate emoji's but if I were to use them to reply to your post those would have been the ones.)

I think it's clear that the better team won last night. SJSU has a little more talent than us right now, and is definitely healthier than us and they were able to put together drives while our offense seemed to really just want the big play--something SJSU really hasn't given up all year. Poor game planning, and a very poorly called offensive game from Arroyo.

I was disappointed in the product UNLV put on the field. Terrible discipline on defense--you can't rush that far upfield against a dual threat QB, you have to stay in your lane and compress the pocket. Terrible tackling especially from the DE/OLB on multiple occasions their HB was able to break arm tackles AND get outside contain. On the outside, they were able to get into plays that took advantage of our cushions, and then when we snugged up they were able to get tons of openings using double moves. On offense, we again struggled with a defense that was willing to to run blitz and run variety of stunts to make the OL think. The OLine struggled in blitz and stunt pick up all night with or without Dougie B's legs.

This is classic UNLV football. Now, what typically comes after this will be 2-3 more demoralizing defeats (checks schedule--Air Force, @ Notre Dame, @ SDSU, Fresno State...checks out), some compounding injuries and more demoralization and we end up free-falling. It just normally happens after 1-2 games. Now how we perform against AFA will tell me where this program really is, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling that I've seen this before. In 2008 with Sanford after the ASU and Iowa State wins road and being 3-1 and finished 5-7. In 2018 under Sanchez after starting 2-1 and finishing 4-8. 1999 with JRob starting 2-0 including a miracle win at Baylor and finished 3-8. Hell, even in 1997 under Horton when we were at 3-3 and finished 3-8. I just feel like at the end of the day it's in our DNA--Arroyo will have to prove that he's changed that culture before I believe it.

I think it's clear that the better team won last night. SJSU has a little more talent than us right now, and is definitely healthier than us and they were able to put together drives while our offense seemed to really just want the big play--something SJSU really hasn't given up all year. Poor game planning, and a very poorly called offensive game from Arroyo.

I was disappointed in the product UNLV put on the field. Terrible discipline on defense--you can't rush that far upfield against a dual threat QB, you have to stay in your lane and compress the pocket. Terrible tackling especially from the DE/OLB on multiple occasions their HB was able to break arm tackles AND get outside contain. On the outside, they were able to get into plays that took advantage of our cushions, and then when we snugged up they were able to get tons of openings using double moves. On offense, we again struggled with a defense that was willing to to run blitz and run variety of stunts to make the OL think. The OLine struggled in blitz and stunt pick up all night with or without Dougie B's legs.

This is classic UNLV football. Now, what typically comes after this will be 2-3 more demoralizing defeats (checks schedule--Air Force, @ Notre Dame, @ SDSU, Fresno State...checks out), some compounding injuries and more demoralization and we end up free-falling. It just normally happens after 1-2 games. Now how we perform against AFA will tell me where this program really is, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling that I've seen this before. In 2008 with Sanford after the ASU and Iowa State wins road and being 3-1 and finished 5-7. In 2018 under Sanchez after starting 2-1 and finishing 4-8. 1999 with JRob starting 2-0 including a miracle win at Baylor and finished 3-8. Hell, even in 1997 under Horton when we were at 3-3 and finished 3-8. I just feel like at the end of the day it's in our DNA--Arroyo will have to prove that he's changed that culture before I believe it.
I don’t see a collapse at those levels coming I think we beat Hawaii and Reno for sure.

I hope this is just one of those WTF game. I did not recognise the team I watched last night. Onto AFA.

I haven’t heard how serious it is … but it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, he gets injured quite a bit.

This really did look like the old Rebels. UNLV didn’t top them in one area and simply were not competitive from the opening minute. We allowed Cordeiro to do whatever he wanted, when he wanted. We weren’t sure if the secondary was strong because they really hadn’t been tested - we did well with deep coverage, some tight coverage by Nohl. But guys were open over the middle and to the sides all night long. He could have picked his target, and he did. Not enough pressure, missed tackles, allowed Cordeiro huge chunks on the ground … had that slippery back corralled several times but he still managed to find yards because UNLV just couldn’t tackle either, another Rebel historic staple.

I figured we’d be able to pound them a bit but Robbins didn’t have many holes at all. And SJSU tackled and swarmed very well. Doug wasn’t effective but he’s started slow before … and then he gets hurt. Friel wasn’t horrible … but let’s face it, a lot of that yardage came via soft underneath stuff that was allowed. A couple nice deep passes but the game had been long decided.

Worst part? The effort was low, perseverance was just as low. They took a jab and folded like a house of cards and just waited for the final whistle to end the misery.

Very disappointing to not compete.

It’s easy to say, eh, just one of those games, they just weren’t focused … and of course that does happen sometimes, even though they shouldn’t, one game is 7% of the entire season. And this was a HUGE game for the Rebels. They weren’t ready at all. Very disappointing.

But it ends that silly poaching or contract extension talk for now.

I had a feeling about this one, that’s why I picked UNLV to lose by 20+. Not that I’m a clairvoyant, it’s just …. history. Until UNLV can completely snap that program defining crap, it’ll be in the back of my mind against decent teams.
That’s unfortunate.. Was hoping it was going to be different, that they would really take that next step.. Missed opportunity.. But still in good position to go bowling and over achieve honestly.. Need Dougie back healthy tho..

We will be 4 - 4 in 2 weeks. Then 4 win-able games We still go bowling. BUT!!!! This last game was definitely a WTF.

It's the plague of what's called recency bias.

Overreactions to wins and losses..

Based on upcoming schedule, where games are played, opponents etc. the Rebels should be able to get to six wins which would be a sign of progress and building up the program.

If it implodes like it did for Sanford after his 3-1 start and Rebs finish 5-7...(Especially if there is a loss to Reno)

Some discussions about Arroyo and his future will definitely be warranted.

That’s unfortunate.. Was hoping it was going to be different, that they would really take that next step.. Missed opportunity.. But still in good position to go bowling and over achieve honestly.. Need Dougie back healthy tho..

I think if the receiving group is healthy, they can win some games with Friel. I think it may be tough sledding for Robbins the next few weeks (depending on how long Doug is out). Teams are going to stack the box and force Friel to beat them. He's showed flashes last year. He won us a few games as well. Talent around him is improved.

I think if the receiving group is healthy, they can win some games with Friel. I think it may be tough sledding for Robbins the next few weeks (depending on how long Doug is out). Teams are going to stack the box and force Friel to beat them. He's showed flashes last year. He won us a few games as well. Talent around him is improved.
"The next few weeks", I hope Brum is ok. Friel will be fine. I think Kyle Williams should be ok by next week. Tough to win against a team like AFA after a loss. They gonna have to shortened their memory span and forget about this week. Let's GO!!!

"The next few weeks", I hope Brum is ok. Friel will be fine. I think Kyle Williams should be ok by next week. Tough to win against a team like AFA after a loss. They gonna have to shortened their memory span and forget about this week. Let's GO!!!

I'm guessing it was a concussion. And those can be tricky. Mentioned this to Joe.

If you recorded the game, watch the Rebels first drive when Doug got sacked/tripped up. A second defender lands on his upper back/neck and head area. You can see Doug shake his head right after the play as he gets up. I don't think he was concussed then but if it was boxing it was the punch that set up the knockout shot. He later got pushed to the ground after an incomplete pass and laid there for a minute and held his head. I'd be surprised if it wasn't concussion related..

Ya, it really is a shame that Williams/Weimer are out.. I don’t think we win, but it would have been more of a dog fight with them & a healthy Doug.. But ya, I agree, we get Williams/Weimer back, our offense is dangerous.. If SJSU fumbles a couple games, unlikely, we still got a shot at taken the West.. Longshot, but still hopeful for a couple breaks to come our way..

This had zero impact on the game, as well. I understand the need for targeting rules.

I thought Tompkins was a bad call. The runner’s head leaned down to the right quickly after Fred committed. What I’m saying is you could legitimate try to hit a guy with your shoulder in the hip and still get a targeting of he’s swung around. I do think there is targeting with intent and unintentional targeting. Fine line, perhaps and I realize they’re trying to take the helmet out of the game altogether … I mean this stuff is bang bang and once you commit, you can’t defeat physics.

This had zero impact on the game, as well. I understand the need for targeting rules.

I thought Tompkins was a bad call. The runner’s head leaned down to the right quickly after Fred committed. What I’m saying is you could legitimate try to hit a guy with your shoulder in the hip and still get a targeting of he’s swung around. I do think there is targeting with intent and unintentional targeting. Fine line, perhaps and I realize they’re trying to take the helmet out of the game altogether … I mean this stuff is bang bang and once you commit, you can’t defeat physics.

If defenders cannot lower their head to deliver a blow RBs should not be able to either.

(Shouldn't tackle that way anyway its dangerous)

Reactions: Mojo702