ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread UNLV at UNR

Who wins the Battle for the Fremont Cannon?

• UNLV in OT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNLV by 1-5

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • UNLV by 6-10

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • UNLV by 11-19

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • UNLV by 20+

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • UNR in OT

• UNR by 1-5

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • UNR by 6-10

• UNR by 11-19

• UNR by 20+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Still another week plus until kick at UNR. Line up your predictions, post updates, info, insights, stats, embed tweets, videos, pics, whatever you want … make your picks and post as the game progresses, this will serve as the game thread. Anything you want related to the UNLV at UNR game, Saturday afternoon (10.14.23 at 2 pm PST) in Reno.

I'm going with UNLV 37 UNR 21

• Haha
Reactions: 1Tripoda
Always feel tenuous about this prediction. There isn't a ton of debate that UNLV has been the better team here through the five weeks.

But what the outcome is and how the team shows up and those first 5 mins of performance... unknown.

I expect if UNLV gets the ball first, it'll be an opening drive touchdown. Something like 6 or 7 plays, 75 yards, 4:15. If the next drive is a unr 3 n out, I expect it to snowball. If reno gets 7, I think it is a rock fight through 3 qtrs amd UNLV depth takes over.

Fortunately, I don't think unr scores on their first drive and it falls apart for them quickly.

UNLV 48, UNR 13.

Maybe it is just the multiple years of being let down by UNLV football but I am a little worried about this game.
This is the only thing left for UNR to play for this year.
I hope UNLV is focused and comes to play and doesn't overlook them. If so we should beat them soundly.
I know it is a different team and different coaches but we were also 4-1 last year.

Let's go Rebels!
UNLV 45
UNR 27

Maybe it is just the multiple years of being let down by UNLV football but I am a little worried about this game.
This is the only thing left for UNR to play for this year.
I hope UNLV is focused and comes to play and doesn't overlook them. If so we should beat them soundly.
I know it is a different team and different coaches but we were also 4-1 last year.

Let's go Rebels!
UNLV 45
UNR 27
Multiple .... years? Aren't we into the decades here?

UNLV 70
RENO 21...

Reno is a mess across all 3 aspects of their game. Qb play isn't good, they don't know who the starter should be. Defense can't stop the run..

Jet gets 4TDs, Maiava throws 3, Dejesus runs one back, Defense gets a pick 6...

UNLV 70
RENO 21...

Reno is a mess across all 3 aspects of their game. Qb play isn't good, they don't know who the starter should be. Defense can't stop the run..

Lordy I hope we put up 70 😂😂

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I feel like we will win by at least 2 TD's. I missed the start of the Fresno unr game but when I tuned into the game Fresno was just getting the ball for the first time in the first quarter and there was just 5 minutes remaining. I don't know what unr did for 10 minutes but they didn't score. If anyone watched and can tell us how unr held onto the ball for 10 minutes I would love to hear it. Keeping the ball from the other teams offense might be the only strategy they have. I don't know.

UNLV 70
RENO 21...

I dont think our coach would run the score up that high. About 40 pts, you will see 2nd or 3rd strings playing.

Like the good lord and greatest American ever Jesus Christ intended.
iu

UNLV 70
RENO 21...

Jet gets 4TDs, DOUG throws 3, Dejesus runs one back, Defense gets a pick 6...
I fixed it for you.

I jest, but not really.

I think that Doug more than likely starts against Reno.

First Odom said that he still was our QB1 and he will play when healthy enough at their last press conference.

Now coach could be being deceptive. Arroyo loved to play games with deception in the media, but I'm not sure Coach Odom is the same. He seems to not be a bullshtter. He is careful what he says, ( he seemingly almost complained about the Rebel Turnout last game), and I don't think he would straight up lie about that.

Second, it's not like Maiava has been tearing it up. He has been solid, no question. But we have been a one dimensional offense the past 2 weeks. You could say that was the plan all along. We had 2 weak defenses and we knew we could win the game with the ground game. However, in both press conferences Coach O talked about not having the vertical passing game as a concern. It was the first thing he said in the last one. He also has been a bit critical with some of the mistakes that JM has done. He has made some bad decisions. Also some misreads according to coach. We also seem to have more presnap penalties with him FWIW.

If he has been throwing it all over the field, getting big plays off play action, then I don't think we necessarily see Doug again.

But Doug dressed out last game though coach said he wasn't quite game ready. Though I think he would have come in as a back up as needed. He has the bye weak to heal up. I think he starts next game.

Also if we stay the same offense, why not use the QB who is the better runner if you aren't stretching the field? Also the QB that has been more careful with protecting the ball this year.

If Doug doesn't start next week, then I think he is officially the back up and will only get the keys if Maiava gets hurt or really effs up.

But that would mean Odom is purposely trying to be deceptive with the media. Which is fine btw, but it also means we can't believe what he says in public.

If Doug gets the start, I don't know how we look. I know our offense hasn't been at its full potential the past 2 weeks. It seems like the coaches are a bit frustrated at that.

It is still possible that Doug isn't healthy enough by then. We know it is a rib injury, we know he was cleared to practice medically the Sunday after the Vandy game. So that probably means it is a hairline rib fracture that is stable, and/or bruised ribs. Which can still be extremely painful and definitely limiting. But if he wasn't close, I don't think he dresses last game. Being a month removed from the injury means that he is probably close if not already there.

If there was ever a time for UNLV to destroy UNR in Reno this is it. Every cannon win for us recently has been a real nail-biter. JRob was coaching the last time I got to see a nice easy blowout win. I’m hoping this one isn’t too stressful but @Reno is a tough place for us to play. The UNR offense has been down right terrible but their defense has actually played pretty decent and kept them in some games. We have scored 40+ points in all 4 wins this year. If we put up 40 on UNR we win easy. If not it might be a stressful 4th quarter. I think Coach Odom has the Rebels ready to play.
UNLV 41
UNR 20

I think we jump out to a big a league, but Reno fights back to make it closer on the box score than it really was

UNLV: 34
UNR: 24

Thats lame if he doesnt want to. If he doesnt, then he doesnt understand how much hatred we have for them.
It is a mercy killing, Lobby. Reno with a lame duck coach and the team is just out there with no direction. Their defence gives Fresno fits, so we may not have a chance to run it up anyways.
UNLV just score enough to win and get out off there injury free. Prep for CSU Sheep.
One more edit: As an encounter, sort of like a quickie with an ex. No snuggling.

Last edited:
If UNR is as bad as yall are saying it is AND we murder them in their crib, their coach cant make it to the end of the season, right?

If UNR is as bad as yall are saying it is AND we murder them in their crib, their coach cant make it to the end of the season, right?
He's 2-15 so not likely but I don't know if Reno has the money to pay for a coach that hasn't already been in the program... Wilson's there for a second time after coming up under Ault for years. Their only choice would be rehiring an 77 year old Ault for a 4th time.

I dont think reno gives him the Dave Rice treatment.

They aren't as dumb as TKM and Co. But by end of calendar year, I could see it.

According to Fresno's fans, Reno's D "balls out"! The way, I think, to beat this kind of team is to tired their defensive players out.

According to Fresno's fans, Reno's D "balls out"! The way, I think, to beat this kind of team is to tired their defensive players out.
What's thay you say? 4 extremely capable RBs of various sizes and WRs that can stretch the field if passing is relatively decent??

What's thay you say? 4 extremely capable RBs of various sizes and WRs that can stretch the field if passing is relatively decent??
Our offence definitely have the components, how the coaching staff chose to utilise it is up to them. 1st play on the first offensive drive, I would bomb one to either White or DeJesus. That should lose up the D a little if completed. If they still coming, do it again and again.

Our offence definitely have the components, how the coaching staff chose to utilise it is up to them. 1st play on the first offensive drive, I would bomb one to either White or DeJesus. That should lose up the D a little if completed. If they still coming, do it again and again.
I didnt do my intent justice, but I was angling for "we have these, and should do harm upon unr" 🤣

Notice that most sans.for Michigan, of UNLV opponents defense are gassed at the end of 2nd quarter. Keep an eye on Reno's D players near the end of the 2nd quarter.
That requires we make our third down conversions. I suspect Reno will load the box and force UNLV to pass to try to get 3 & outs. Whichever QB plays needs to be accurate.