ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Regular season finale - San Jose at UNLV

SJSU at UNLV, who wins?

• UNLV in OT

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • UNLV by 1 to 5

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • UNLV by 6 to 10

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • UNLV by 11-19

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • UNLV by 20+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SJSU in OT

• SJSU by 1 to 5

• SJSU by 6 to 10

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • SJSU by 11 to 19

• SJSU by 20+

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com

Let's hear who you got ....

Line up your predictions, post updates, info, insights, stats, embed tweets, videos, pics, whatever you want … make your picks and post as the game progresses, this will serve as the game thread. Anything you want related to the UNLV vs San Jose game, Saturday afternoon at Allegiant.

I say UNLV 37 SJSU 31

DATE: Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023
KICKOFF: 12:05 pm PT
SITE: Allegiant Stadium (61,000/Artificial) Las Vegas
TV: SSSEN (Matt Neverett & Steve Cofield)
RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Langer, Herring & Cordasco)
STREAM: Mountain West Network
SPREAD: UNLV -2.5 O/U 58.5

30-27 Rebels, first place all by ourselves w/ a date against Boise in the Championship. REEEE-BEEELLLLLSSSSS!!

Reactions: 220reb
Question:
Any word on Jerrae Williams or Johnathan Baldwin? I thought Jerrae would play last game, but didn't see him and he didn't make the box score. Same with John-o
It would be really nice to get back 2 of our best defenders for the new biggest game in school history.

It's crazy to think that Odom already has 2 more wins than Arroyo had in 3 years. Also with another win, Odom would double Sanford's 2 best seasons' win total combined. He also already tied Hauck' 2 combine best and Sanchez's 2 combined best seasons .

Reactions: 220reb and ckfitz
I am more worried about this game that I was the last. SJSU has been playing the best ball in the conference, including us in the past 5 games. Should be a good match up. We have struggled with mobile QBs some, so giving up a spy in coverage will open up more passing lanes for them. Hopefully we can create pressure that doesn't lead to big QB runs.
We also need to fine our groove running the ball. It has been ineffective the past few games, though teams have been stacking the box. Curious to see if that trend continues.
I'm going to believe and say my final score will be
UNLV 39 SJSU 35

Question:
Any word on Jerrae Williams or Johnathan Baldwin? I thought Jerrae would play last game, but didn't see him and he didn't make the box score. Same with John-o
It would be really nice to get back 2 of our best defenders for the new biggest game in school history.

It's crazy to think that Odom already has 2 more wins than Arroyo had in 3 years. Also with another win, Odom would double Sanford's 2 best seasons' win total combined. He also already tied Hauck' 2 combine best and Sanchez's 2 combined best seasons .
Game to game. I honestly expected to see them last game.

Game to game. I honestly expected to see them last game.
me too. Odom seems to be big on being able to practice at a high level in order to play in games. I'm guessing they haven't quite been there yet.

I am more worried about this game that I was the last. SJSU has been playing the best ball in the conference, including us in the past 5 games. Should be a good match up. We have struggled with mobile QBs some, so giving up a spy in coverage will open up more passing lanes for them. Hopefully we can create pressure that doesn't lead to big QB runs.
We also need to fine our groove running the ball. It has been ineffective the past few games, though teams have been stacking the box. Curious to see if that trend continues.
I'm going to believe and say my final score will be
UNLV 39 SJSU 35
This one worries me too. As does the next one. Time to see how far we’ve come.

I’m very worried about this game. Not just bc of the quality of the opponent but bc so much is riding on it. Lots more pressure on the Rebels at home than SJSU. Agree we need our run game to get going again to eat up clock and keep their QB sitting on the bench. 3rd down and red zone efficiency will be critical. I’m not expecting our defense to completely stop their QB but a bend don’t break defense that ties up SJSU in the red zone and holds them to more field goals than TDs is certainly doable. Finally, we can’t afford to turn it over like we did at AFA. Need to be net positive in that area.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I’m very worried about this game. Not just bc of the quality of the opponent but bc so much is riding on it. Lots more pressure on the Rebels at home than SJSU. Agree we need our run game to get going again to eat up clock and keep their QB sitting on the bench. 3rd down and red zone efficiency will be critical. I’m not expecting our defense to completely stop their QB but a bend don’t break defense that ties up SJSU in the red zone and holds them to more field goals than TDs is certainly doable. Finally, we can’t afford to turn it over like we did at AFA. Need to be net positive in that area.
We won't have to put with those same f*cking refs right? If they ty that shit in Allegiant, I hope the fans let them know how we feel.

Air Force plays at Boise today at 4pm EST. Will be a good preview of our likely next opponent.
So, are we in the MWC Championship game now? Beating SJSU is just to host the game? We have gotta win this game, if anything...I want to see UNLV ranked just once in my lifetime.

Maybe, but in reality it is not.

We can lose and likely be in the championship game, and probably still host.

They have to win for even a chance to get in.

Also a win for them would bring them to 7 wins. a 6-6 team is no guarantee for a bowl game. 7-5 isn't either, but much more likely to get an invite.

Also a win for them would bring them to 7 wins. a 6-6 team is no guarantee for a bowl game. 7-5 isn't either, but much more likely to get an invite.
That SJSU team will probably get in at 5 wins. They are a solid team. The committee can see that.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
That SJSU team will probably get in at 5 wins. They are a solid team. The committee can see that.
Well they have 6 wins already soo...

Also they travel very poorly, like us really, but probably worse. Bowl committees care more about making money than whether a team deserves it or not.

Point being, the reality is that they have much more to play for in this game than we do.

Reactions: unlove
IMO, the Rebels are playing with house money right now. Nobody expected them to be playing for a chance at the MWCCG much less hosting it. Like was stated earlier, even if UNLV loses to SJSU, UNLV is so far ahead in the rankings than the other 3 teams, that it is very likely that not only do they still make the MWCCG, but it’s more than likely they’ll still host it. If you ask me, all the pressure is on the Spartans and they would have to win by like 55+ to even come close to jumping the Rebels in the rankings.

Well they have 6 wins already soo...

Also they travel very poorly, like us really, but probably worse. Bowl committees care more about making money than whether a team deserves it or not.

Point being, the reality is that they have much more to play for in this game than we do.
They are in and they will murder some lower bowl team that they will play. Their scheduling was brutal and they are overestimating themselves at the beginning. They have a good but not great coaching staff. Now they are in full strengths and we are not. We still have some key players missing to injuries. UNLV will win this because O-staff know what and how to do it. MVP for this season at UNLV is the staff.

Don’t have a good feel for how I think this game will go, which means no outcome would surprise me. Going to go with the scenario I want to see and that is playing our most complete game of the season without a bad quarter that we’ve seen recently.

UNLV 38-24

Reactions: goraphareb
I trust the process and the system

UNLV 45
Sand Hole Say 27

We are the real deal.

Outside of Fresno game, San Jose beat nobody!

There on the road, UNLV wins!

This is new UNLV with coach and team with tough mental approach.

MWC is not good people, there probably 6 teams in PAC that clean MWC in football this yr.

feels like a let down game. (Im sooo jaded) SJST may be our toughest opponent to date outside of Michigan -

I really don't know what to think - I cant judge from experience because we have never been in this position before

The coach - is earning trust fast but IDK ? I picked us to win in OT

Man it would be fun to get the Football team ranked -

Go Rebels

6-6 isn't a guarantee but most likely they would get in. Last I checked there were still quite a few spots open.

UNLV is playing for a lot:

Top 25 ranking
10th win of the season
Guarantee home field for MWC championship
Best record every for UNLV as a division 1 school (11-2 record was removed)
I agree. But we are playing with house money since all of those things you listed are still in play with a loss besides a top 25 ranking. Which could still be possible with a MW championship game

Unm might just steal a bowl bid for USU. In a tight one on OT right now

A little tangent.

Danny Gonzales was a finalist for job during Arroyo search. Took Alma mater job at New Mexico. Results haven't been great but I think he deserves some credit. After they were eliminated from bowl eligibility, his team didn't quit on him. Went out smoked Fresno on the road and just lost in OT to USU who was fighting for a bowl eligibility.

I liked him over Arroyo. Think he would have done a better job here than Arroyo did. The results wouldn't look like what Odom has done this year. I think it would have been the dreaded slow build. But with the facilities he has here vs what's available in New Mexico I think he would have done enough to still be the coach here. Something like 4-8, 5-7, 5-7 and reach eligibility this year.

My opinion, I think UNM might be the toughest job in the conference now for football.

Glad it worked out the way it did though...🙂

Don’t have a good feel for how I think this game will go, which means no outcome would surprise me. Going to go with the scenario I want to see and that is playing our most complete game of the season without a bad quarter that we’ve seen recently.

UNLV 38-24
This right here, we've had alot of bad quarters {CSU 1st Q, Fresno 3rd, WYO 2nd Q, AF 2nd Q) if we can not give them a huge quarter I think we have this game. If we let them put up 17+ in a Q we might have a hard time.

Don’t jinx anything u fux.. but SJSU scares the crap outta me. They got a mobile QB and a decent RB.

We have to stay focused

what scares me a bit is the line is not moving much. U would think a lot of SMART money would be on SJSU.