• FAU by 6-13

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • FSU by 14-20

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • FSU by 21+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was a team loss with all the mistakes not a dropped pass. But for the love of god, McKie has been dropping passes all year. Not sure it's a good idea to have him in the game in that spot. I think it was Reno or CSU he dropped like 3 passes in the game as well. Even with the mistakes, we played better than I thought they would and moving forward I think every game is pretty much winnable except AF esp. with Wyoming getting waxed. And that fumble call was some ridiculous bullsh*t.
That fumble call was shit

Reactions: goraphareb
We just dropped a heart breaker, but even with how we been playing we were not supposed to be in this game by any longshot. The team is resilient even after that 3rd quarter. We need to figure out a way to keep Odom here. The old rebels would have folded and lost by 28+

How anyone can not love what we are seeing out there would be crazy
Yep I agree. Even that Caleb Herring team I felt wasn’t that good (especially on defense). This team is legit good and by that I mean the second best team in the conference. This definitely is not the same old Rebels. I haven’t enjoyed watching UNLV football this much in a long time. Even that JRob team they may have been better but these guys are fun to watch.

And Oliver had himself a game! He has some hands. Maybe play him at TE lol.

Everyone wants to talk about losing Marion in the offseason, but play calling like that on 1st and goal isn't going to get you many phone calls. Still shows alot if inexperience trying to force Lester up the middle when Fresno stopped that all night. It wasn't there vs CSU either and he couldn't get away from it. If the entire offense hinges on dives up the middle, I don't see P5 schools knocking down his door
They didn’t lose because of coaching but that said all three handoffs went to the short side of the field not a fan of that. The third handoff there they should have tried a naked bootleg I think the D would have bit on the handoff. Or at least ran to the other side.

First time I’ve ever lost sleep over a UNLV Football loss. Had many sleepless nights after a MBB loss (although none over the last 10 years). Kept replaying the final two drives in my head. The loss definitely sucks but I’m already feeling more proud of the team and the progress the program has made than feeling upset over the loss. I have a feeling the loss is going to motivate this team and they’re gonna take their game to another level.

I just can't help but think...

What if we kicked on 4th down and took the 3 points or if he's not tripped at the 5...
Down 4 and we don't get picked or have a dropped TD.. Tied, were settingup for another FG to win...

Margins man

Part of the NIL buildup should be to extend Odom asap, he could be the coach that can do his part to get us to the P5!

I just can't help but think...

What if we kicked on 4th down and took the 3 points or if he's not tripped at the 5...
Down 4 and we don't get picked or have a dropped TD.. Tied, were settingup for another FG to win...

Margins man

I was ok not taking three.

You still needed a TD either way.

If you take the three and kick off Fresno gets ball at 25. Even with a three and out you are likely needing 20 plus more yards with a little less time.

Fresno got conservative being inside their own 5. Odom got what he needed, a quick three and out.

I understand the other view point that you would win with a TD vs tie.

I just think it was a time plus field position decision thing.

Got exactly what we need just couldn't punch it in.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I was ok not taking three.

You still needed a TD either way.

If you take the three and kick off Fresno gets ball at 25. Even with a three and out you are likely needing 20 plus more yards with a little less time.

Fresno got conservative being inside their own 5. Odom got what he needed, a quick three and out.

I understand the other view point that you would win with a TD vs tie.

I just think it was a time plus field position decision thing.

Got exactly what we need just couldn't punch it in.
Good point regarding pinning FSU at their own 5 if we failed to score. I thought we should have taken the 3 points but didn’t consider the impact on playing calling by placing them deep in their own territory.

Are you referring to the extension or the P5? Because unless we fall apart they should definitely give him a raise and add a fat buyout in it.
There just aren't too many people like Coach O around. He is energetic, he is smart, he is young....a bunch other stuffs. UNLV found our coach, do whatever we need to do to keep him here and to help him being successful and grows as a learner.

Man some people just don’t get it and not arguing with someone to dense to see! But you Boston do get what I’m saying, and Odom should be retained at all costs, NOW, not later!
Yeah we have waited decades for that needle in a haystack and don’t see a reason to F around.

It won't matter... the only thing we buy with an extension after year 1 is a higher buyout... In the end if we pull a repeat next year and them up the record, he's going to get offers back to his roots, which I'm perfectly fine with. The point of it being, him Winning and turning the trajectory of the program in its head in 2-3 years will make the job attractive to the next candidate and open the door to other competent HCs... it's alot easier to sell "hey come coach in Vegas with our facilities" when your program has 2 years of 8-10 wins each and bowls than 6 wins over 3 years...

The McKie drop is easy to point to, since it was right there for the taking.

But failing to punch it in the previous drive is worth noting. Fresno is pretty stout in the middle and we tried to punch it through the arguable strength of the defense over and over again.

Red zone rushing TDs have been our bread and butter so I get it, but a little more variety would have been nice.

And we forget we had another shot after the drop, which was a pick of all things.

This was a team loss, and it really is on those 3 turnovers. That fumble? I'm not convinced it was a fumble, but I'm not convinced it wasn't either. We just did not have a good view of it, and neither did the refs.

The good. We did practically dominate the game. we were on our heels and struggled their first drive. Then it was a 3 and out bonanza. We were moving the ball too. In game adjustments were fantastic.

Giving them 2 short fields is hard to overcome.

And we still had 2 shots of tying it up, or even winning with a 2 pt conversion ( I wonder what we have done if we scored).

We are legit in this league. Curious how Fresno fairs the rest of the way too. They did have nearly an identical schedule to us in terms of difficulty. I can see them winning out, or losing to at least Boise.

How they do against SJSU will also be telling for us.

I feel good about this week. And pretty good about Wyoming. Air Force? Considering how much better we have gotten against the run as the season has gone on and how we have fast LBs that can fill up the gaps? I think we have a shot.

Man some people just don’t get it and not arguing with someone to dense to see! But you Boston do get what I’m saying, and Odom should be retained at all costs, NOW, not later!
Ok - first off the power 5 will not exist by the time we get a “shot”. We have already had our shot and this topic has been discussed at length. It’s a power 4 now and we are outside looking in

Second….too dense? Instead of hopping on the blame train how about waiting for my reply to his original question. Odom needs retained obviously.

Welcome, newest member of my ignore list!

That could potentially be a big deal, especially if the success continues. Having an extra 5-6 million to put towards your next coach is how you make the most of your gains and getting your coach poached.
My thoughts exactly he WILL get poached IF he has another good year next year. Increase his salary to make it easier to keep him here until a big school comes so maybe doesn't jump to Indiana but waits for a better big school job and also because that buyout can be used to hire a much better coach than you could afford without it.

Did the HC of Tulane get hired somewhere else after last season? They were top 25 and he would have been at the top of the list for most P5’s.

If he wasn’t, then even a second successful season with us doesn’t mean that Odom is hired away from us.

Reactions: rebel5280
Did the HC of Tulane get hired somewhere else after last season? They were top 25 and he would have been at the top of the list for most P5’s.

If he wasn’t, then even a second successful season with us doesn’t mean that Odom is hired away from us.
I know we are all worried about Odom, but I think it will take more than just moderate success here for him to be poached.

Even winning the MW this season if we can pull it off? It's an overall down year for the league. We didn't have one of those attention grabbing wins, unless we get a motivated bigger name school in a bowl game or something.

Turning this program into a MW title contender every year, with some head turning noncon wins? Sure, maybe. But I don't think that many people care about him turning around our snake bitten program like we do. People will look to the amenities, the location, and say "you should win there"

Turning a loser into a winner is good. But I don't know if there are many P4 programs that have sucked in their conference, but also have a relative advantage in terms of facilities out there. We have sucked despite our advantages. That doesn't happen very option.

See UNLV fans? We ARE special.

Last edited:
Reactions: InZoneU
I know we are all worried about Odom, but I think it will take more than just moderate success here for him to be poached.

Even winning the MW this season if we can pull it off? It's an overall down year for the league. We didn't have one of those attention grabbing wins, unless we get a motivated bigger name school in a bowl game or something.

Turning this program into a MW title contender every year, with some head turning noncon wins? Sure, maybe. But I don't think that many people care about him turning around our snake bitten program like we do. People will look to the amenities, the location, and say "you should win there"

Turning a loser into a winner is good. But I don't know if there are many P4 programs that have sucked in their conference, but also have a relative advantage in terms of facilities out there. We have sucked despite our advantages. That doesn't happen very option.

See UNLV fans? We ARE special.
I think if he takes us to back to back bowl games for the first time in school history he will get poached. Based on the current contract. If he were an assistant from somewhere maybe it would take more. But he also was an HC at a large school in a tough conference and had success there and was fired after one bad season. I think that will be taken into consideration along with immediate turnaround of a dog crap program.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
But failing to punch it in the previous drive is worth noting. Fresno is pretty stout in the middle and we tried to punch it through the arguable strength of the defense over and over again.

Red zone rushing TDs have been our bread and butter so I get it, but a little more variety would have been nice.

And we forget we had another shot after the drop, which was a pick of all things.
If you watch Marion on the timeout he is chewing Maiava's ass after the 2nd run play. I think he gave it to Lester on the belly and the QB or the pitch option were there to the far side of the field. However, I will say that the FSU defensive ends/OLBs in general were really solid on their option defense and the DTs owned their gaps most of the night. So Marion went with strength on first and goal, called 2 plays that should have scored there and then Maiava made a bad throw to DeJesus (who I'm not sure gets in anyway) with the LB who was showing blitz fell back into the zone.

Edit: Now I'm worried I'm confusing the 2 different goal line series--but I don't want to rewatch it yet. But I distinctly remember trying to read Marion's lips after the time out so I think it was the final one--but who can say. It was 2:15am here and way too old for that stuff.

Last edited:
If you watch Marion on the timeout he is chewing Maiava's ass after the 2nd run play. I think he gave it to Lester on the belly and the QB or the pitch option were there to the far side of the field. However, I will say that the FSU defensive ends/OLBs in general were really solid on their option defense and the DTs owned their gaps most of the night. So Marion went with strength on first and goal, called 2 plays that should have scored there and then Maiava made a bad throw to DeJesus (who I'm not sure gets in anyway) with the LB who was showing blitz fell back into the zone.

Edit: Now I'm worried I'm confusing the 2 different goal line series--but I don't want to rewatch it yet. But I distinctly remember trying to read Marion's lips after the time out so I think it was the final one--but who can say. It was 2:15am here and way too old for that stuff.
I thought Marion was yelling at him because the defense was struggling to get set and Jaden didn't snap the ball when they could have snuck a play in with the D out of position.

I thought Marion was yelling at him because the defense was struggling to get set and Jaden didn't snap the ball when they could have snuck a play in with the D out of position.
I'll try the lip reading again haha, you could be right--i just remember how open the field side looked. I just can't watch it again yet...gotta wait a few more days for the pain to abate.