• UNLV by less than 10

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • UNLV between 11-20

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • UNLV by more than 20

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Am ugly win is still a win they don’t have a different column for good wins vs bad. In the past UNLV loses this game. That they played like crap early down 17-0 and played well enough to come back and win it says a lot to me. I am also impressed with the defensive coaching adjustments every game our second half D is much better than the first. People talking about Arroyo leaving Heyward may be gone before he is.

Good teams are ones that can play poorly and find a way to win..

Anybody who thinks UNLV should have just walked through UNM really isn't paying attention.
If we don’t have a facemask on their first scoring drive, a horrible drop by Williams on our first drive, or the Williams “fumble” on our second drive. We walk through UNM. You can’t give any D1 team momentum or confidence.

it is nice to see a UNLV team actually have capable coaching and the inner drive to come back after a horrible start. That’s three bad starts and we’ve come back to dominate USU, have a chance to beat Cal on the road, and beat UNM. It shows we have real leadership on this team. Onto the next one.

So I am sitting in the stands watching this skinny #16 running great routes, making great catches and converting first downs and I say “who is this guy, I’ve never seen him before?” Kalvin Souders may not get the game ball but the Rebs don’t win that game without him.
Showed up huge. Had some great catches over the middle. This WR corps is deep.

If we don’t have a facemask on their first scoring drive, a horrible drop by Williams on our first drive, or the Williams “fumble” on our second drive. We walk through UNM. You can’t give any D1 team momentum or confidence.

it is nice to see a UNLV team actually have capable coaching and the inner drive to come back after a horrible start. That’s three bad starts and we’ve come back to dominate USU, have a chance to beat Cal on the road, and beat UNM. It shows we have real leadership on this team. Onto the next one.
It’s nice to have “fixable concerns” while still putting up W’s. Obviously, we are a second half team. That’s just what they’ve shown us.

Fix the smaller problems … slower starts and stupid penalties … but given what you typically expect as a UNLV fan, you have to be pleased right now.

I was at the game but then when I got home was able to find a youtube link with TV stream (since been removed it seems). That scrum happened at 8:09.

I try to be measured and, for arroyo, have been down on him as UNLV head FB coach to this point (well, 2020 and 2021... hasn't had many head scratchers yet this year). That scrum was one of the first times I said "okay, I'm firmly on this guys side" ... he got in front of the UNM players, blocking off brumfield. Ran over from a dozen or so yards out. Then to see two Rebels players get in front of him, as if to guard Arroyo from the Lobos players was the sealing moment. They all have each others back.

It was really cool to see that.

Excellent comeback. To basically no-show for the first 20 minutes of the game, be down 17-0, and only give up a FG while scoring 24 unanswered and 31 overall. Color me impressed.
Glad someone saw it.. Obviously much easier to see the moment on tv, as they zoomed in on the scrum.. But ya it was a beautiful thing to see, that stuff fires me up..

Also may have shut them out in the 2nd half if their one scoring drive wasn't aided by a blown call by officials.

They completely missed an intentional grounding...

Reactions: reagan21
It’s nice to have “fixable concerns” while still putting up W’s. Obviously, we are a second half team. That’s just what they’ve shown us.

Fix the smaller problems … slower starts and stupid penalties … but given what you typically expect as a UNLV fan, you have to be pleased right now.

Agree..

I will say this though..

I'm guilty of it as well..Fair amount of 'Rebs didn't play well'...

UNM had something to do with that...

Reactions: reagan21
I was at the game but then when I got home was able to find a youtube link with TV stream (since been removed it seems). That scrum happened at 8:09.

I try to be measured and, for arroyo, have been down on him as UNLV head FB coach to this point (well, 2020 and 2021... hasn't had many head scratchers yet this year). That scrum was one of the first times I said "okay, I'm firmly on this guys side" ... he got in front of the UNM players, blocking off brumfield. Ran over from a dozen or so yards out. Then to see two Rebels players get in front of him, as if to guard Arroyo from the Lobos players was the sealing moment. They all have each others back.

It was really cool to see that.

Excellent comeback. To basically no-show for the first 20 minutes of the game, be down 17-0, and only give up a FG while scoring 24 unanswered and 31 overall. Color me impressed.

Agree, except I don't think they no showed. I think that 3-3-5 defense just gives QBs and OL guys fits trying to determine where pressure is coming, who's dropping into coverage etc.

Rebs eventually adjusted to it and were able to string some drives together.

UNM gave some different looks early on offense, showed a few new wrinkles. After about midway through the 2nd quarter they couldn't muster much at all.

DC has been excellent this year in adjusting to what other teams are doing. Especially after halftime.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Am ugly win is still a win they don’t have a different column for good wins vs bad. In the past UNLV loses this game. That they played like crap early down 17-0 and played well enough to come back and win it says a lot to me. I am also impressed with the defensive coaching adjustments every game our second half D is much better than the first. People talking about Arroyo leaving Heyward may be gone before he is.

No such thing as a sexy loss..

So in my book no such thing as an ugly win..(Ok it wasn't a work of art, not neccesarily pleasing to the eye..) But not ugly..

After the 17-0 start by UNM... I definitely had doubt creeping in... felt like same ole Rebels for a bit. I think the 3 FGs before half time steadied the boat. I went into half time thinking we were going to win the 2nd half and the game.

Against a team like Air Force who can control the clock starting slow like that will kill us. I hope we can break out of the slow start funk real soon.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Agree, except I don't think they no showed. I think that 3-3-5 defense just gives QBs and OL guys fits trying to determine where pressure is coming, who's dropping into coverage etc.

Rebs eventually adjusted to it and were able to string some drives together.

UNM gave some different looks early on offense, showed a few new wrinkles. After about midway through the 2nd quarter they couldn't muster much at all.

DC has been excellent this year in adjusting to what other teams are doing. Especially after halftime.
I saw it the same way. UNM was “more ready” early on, mainly because you just can’t practice well against their quirkiness. UNM threw some knuckleballs and the Rebels didn’t handle it well early on. The key was not letting frustration set in and try to force things - and I thought they did well with that part of it. Didn’t see panic or the “oh no, here we go again” by the Rebels that we have been accustomed to. To me, that’s mindset, that’s coaching and it’s not in game coaching, that’s just foundational prep work. And the players trusted enough to stick with it - so often a coach says and does the right things, but players - and it doesn’t take a lot of them to make things go south - can just crack. This team hasn’t. Been some great efforts and focus so far, even when it isn’t pretty.

Question, did UNLV ever beat any team coached by Rocky Long? I dont remember..

11pm start my time means I can never watch the whole thing live.

This is a game in the last 5 years we fold and get curb stomped. This team handles adversity much better than I'm used to in my recent lifetime. I'm having a hard time accepting that this team is pretty solid.
I thought this team was about a year away. Then we lose our OC and DC. I took it back. Then we lost Windmon. Then they signed Aidden and Bailey. I said OK. Then they got new DC Heyward, my optimism went went. Then we lost Scott at practice. F@!! The rumors about Austin Asiakje and Adams Plant. Some optimism…saw the first game. Saw how Brum runs the team, I’m good.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I saw it the same way. UNM was “more ready” early on, mainly because you just can’t practice well against their quirkiness. UNM threw some knuckleballs and the Rebels didn’t handle it well early on. The key was not letting frustration set in and try to force things - and I thought they did well with that part of it. Didn’t see panic or the “oh no, here we go again” by the Rebels that we have been accustomed to. To me, that’s mindset, that’s coaching and it’s not in game coaching, that’s just foundational prep work. And the players trusted enough to stick with it - so often a coach says and does the right things, but players - and it doesn’t take a lot of them to make things go south - can just crack. This team hasn’t. Been some great efforts and focus so far, even when it isn’t pretty.

My seats are in the endzone..It gives an interesting perspective of what the QB is seeing. The 5th DB in that defense is a hybrid. Plays at the line, blitzes, shows blitz and drops into coverage. All three DL guys stood up at one point. Dropped a DL guy into coverage but brought a LB and DB on the blitz...Its has to be tough on a QB.

Another thing they do/did well was limit big runs. At least 5-10 times it looked like Robbins had a good crease to run through and one of their DBs or LBs would fly in to make a tackle. What looked like an easy 5 maybe 10 yard gain ended up only going for 2-3 yards.

What I did like was Arroyo kept pounding the ball. Gave Reese a few more touches..I think he did that because of Reese' quickness.

I don't want to wax to poetic, but it appears we are looking at not only a team finding it's way, but a HC in his third year starting to really figure it out..

Last edited: