• Poll closed .

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Opening line: AFA -10 Saturday night at Allegiant 630 PM PST CBSSports

Line up your predictions, post updates, info, insights, stats, embed tweets, videos, pics, whatever you want … make your picks and post as the game progresses. Anything you want related to UNLV at UNLV.

This is a game that I can see going several different ways and wouldn’t be shocked by any outcome. Been awhile since we successfully defended the option though, so I think the likeliest outcome is Air Force winning comfortably. Hoping Hayward has a good game plan and Brumfield is ready go

Reactions: j. spilotro
UNLV by 10, 34-24. Air Force will score early but the Rebels will figure out the triple option by the late 2nd quarter and then start to shut down the Falcons. Offensively, UNLV will cash in on better athleticism which isn't always the case when they play Air Force.

AFA is beat up and coming off a L against a not-very-good USU. Brumfield is still a question mark (of course maybe some of you guys with local radio ears heard something I didn't). Air Force runs a 3-3-5 which has given us fits at times and we haven't had a good showing against the triple option since JRob. In fact since we last beat AFA in 2013 they have averaged 413 rushing yards per game at 5.97 yards per carry, and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think that we've got that figured out.

I think Dougie B comes back but I don't think he's quite ready and gets nicked up again, and UNLV turns the ball over and despite a decent comeback in the 2nd half doesn't cover.

AFA: 31
UNLV: 20

Reactions: RebelScrub
The 1st quarter will likely determine the outcome, IMO. If we can't stop the triple option, and they get 10-14 points up on us, it'll be really hard to come back from. If we can have a small lead, or at least be close, I think we have a good shot

Reactions: j. spilotro
Even with an injured af team we need more discipline on D than we have shown this year for this offense.

UNLV 24
AF 35

Looking back at AFA for this season, they beat up on some bad teams ( like us) and lost to decent and 1 bad team ( not like us).
Arrigo say Brum is out, which I totally believe so that sucks. We got crushed last year from them, but apparently UNLV they put extrawork in the spring, fall camp, and recently prepping for UNM to defend the Air force and option in general. And they absolutely smothered UNM against theie traditional option plays.
SO i have a little tentative confidence this week.

I say UNLV 24 AFA 20

I will also add with Brum out, I think UNLV commits to the run game. Which will probably mean another slow start. But I can see AFA wearing down with our large O line and Aidan's power running style and getting bigger chunk plays in the second half.

Also I like they are calling cut block penalties more this year, even against the defense. I think that helps us as well.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If we were healthy I'd probably reverse this score, but...

AFA - 38
UNLV - 31

Hey, it's a cover!

Our defense will withstand that triple threat they got.
Arrival of Friel.

28-24 UNLV

I had a bad feeling going into SJSU. I just felt like they were a better team than perceived by most. Throw in the fact that it was our first conference road game, and I just didn't feel great about it. Of course, I didn't expect the disastrous result that ensued.

However, for some reason, I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. We're better at home. AF has played worse on the road. Even though we're presumably without QB1, I like our size advantage on the line and with Robbins. I think that'll help us run the ball with increasing effectiveness as the game progresses. And while it wasn't AF's version of the triple option, the Rebels looked they're absolute best against UNM when the Lobos tried to run the option.

With that said, I've talked myself into a sneaky win for the Rebs. I'll go with 33-27.

Last edited:
I had a bad feeling going into SJSU. I just felt like they were a better team than perceived by most. Throw in the fact that it was our first conference road game, and I just didn't feel great about it. Of course, I didn't expect the disastrous result that ensued.

However, for some reason, I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. We're better at home. AF has played worse on the road. Even though we're presumably without QB1, I like our size advantage on the line and with Robbins. I think that'll help us run the ball with increasing effectiveness as the game progresses. And while it wasn't AF's version of the triple option, the Rebels looked they're absolute best against UNM when the Lobos tried to run the option.

With that said, I've talked myself into a sneaky win for the Rebs. I'll go with 33-27.
Are you in my head? Lol. I feel exactly the same.

The part to this story, Air Force's schedule has not been great. They lost to Wyoming big, who aren't great. They lost to Utah state who have sucked.

Not the same team this year.

Of course I would feel more confident if we had Doug, but I think whichever QB goes into this game, they will have a full week to prepare and I feel pretty good about either guy.

I have a decent feeling about this one. I wouldn't bet on it though, that is for sure.

Been mulling this one over. We’re not “the rebels” anymore. We’re a logo now whether you like to live in the past or not.

A falcon has very good eyesight. A gazillion falcons can take a gigantic crap on a logo from miles on high and crap with precision.

They are going to “carpet bomb” the hell out of us with Brumfield not in the game. And this is the assumption that Brumfield is sitting out.

Where does that leave Friel and the other guy from TEnnessee? They are going to get lots of playing time. Hell, I even think they’ll both get snaps..

Can’t wait to see The TEnnessee Dude’s arm in an indoor stadium. Easy 7 points.

Air Force Academy 42- UNLV Logo 7.

If Brumfield in the game..look out

Last edited:
AFA 34
UNLV 21

But, If the Rebs can avoid the trickery/big pass plays that usually give the falcons 1-2 TD’s a game & somewhat slow the running game, I could see the score flipped.. Unlikely, but if the defense comes prepared, I think they have a decent chance of pulling one out..

Last edited:
Agreed. Not the first time we had a big time QB not produce....
Not sure he got a fair shake in his first game though. Curious to see who gets the snaps this game, or if it's an alternating thing between the two. My guess is that if whoever starts the game as QB isn't effective, we'll see the other QB as well. Hopefully the defense is up to the task against the AF option game, but I'm not overly confident this game.

I guess I’m the bad guy here.

AFA 38
UNLV 14
You're not the bad guy. I'll be the bad guy. I say we don't win another game till brumfeld comes back. If he comes back this season. Just can't see freil getting it done.

I don't feel good about this one, but let say they pull it out, even with the injuries, where do you think that puts us (generally speaking)?

Been mulling this one over. We’re not “the rebels” anymore. We’re a logo now whether you like to live in the past or not.

A falcon has very good eyesight. A gazillion falcons can take a gigantic crap on a logo from miles on high and crap with precision.

They are going to “carpet bomb” the hell out of us with Brumfield not in the game. And this is the assumption that Brumfield is sitting out.

Where does that leave Friel and the other guy from TEnnessee? They are going to get lots of playing time. Hell, I even think they’ll both get snaps..

Can’t wait to see The TEnnessee Dude’s arm in an indoor stadium. Easy 7 points.

Air Force Academy 42- UNLV Logo 7.

If Brumfield in the game..look out
The 3 falcon's and their cadet handlers are staying at my bosses house this week end.

I think you are on to something here. Someone should release a flock of pigeons in Allegiant. Needless to say, the falcon will be preoccupied with all you can eat pigeon, greatly improving your chances of winning the game.
I think you are on to something here. Someone should release a flock of pigeons in Allegiant. Needless to say, the falcon will be preoccupied with all you can eat pigeon, greatly improving your chances of winning the game
The 3 falcon's and their cadet handlers are staying at my bosses house this week end.
Good to hear from you gripple!!

falcons are magnificent creatures. I feel bad for the guy in the video that lost his falcon to the truck. That was his bird that he trained for years. There’s a backstory to it somewhere in the YT comments…had a gut feeling.

Are you watching the USU vs CSU game? UNLV beat USU at their home by a nice margins. Now USU have some weaknesses but they are sure shit a good team. AFA is a small team. They are quick but they are small. UNLV need to win this one, have to win this one just base upon physical statures alone,

We have everything to win this one convincingly. Without Brum is a little different but damn it, this is a win for UNLV!

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000