• Vandy by 6-15

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • UNLV by 16+

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Vandy by 16+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This game was a better comparison than previous in game comparisons. At Michigan, they brought in the 2s and were playing less aggressive. Bryant was also a lopsided game.

But even in this game we protected much better for Jaden over Doug. He did have much better protection for whatever reason.

Was is our O line adjusting protections after watching Doug get rocked? Was it the fact that the film tells us that Doug isn't good identifying blitzes or making quick throws and/or play calls to adjust for it? It could be both.

Apparently Doug has been cleared to play after the game?

I honestly could either QB start next game. Sure it looks obvious to US from the outside looking in, but there may be other factors we aren't aware of.

Jaden also struggled handling the ball with run plays basically killed parts of the running game as well.

I'm not saying Doug should start. From what I've seen Jaden and the offense has looked much better overall this season. But I could also see Doug continue to get the start just because there may be reasons that we aren't privy to that would make that happen. But if he does he needs to show me something. Thats for sure.

JM has a very good arm. But Doug does as well. Also Doug did throw for 65% last year so saying he isn't accurate is also a bit misleading. He has not shown it this season for whatever reason.
Last year, Doug was very accurate but most of his passes are less than 10 yds. JM proved last night he has feel and accuracy for passes over 10 yds which is needed if we want to move the ball down the field.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Has to be Maiava moving forward, no?

I don’t think this was a game where Maiava got lucky or played over his head. He looks confident and poised, throws a nice ball.

Usually a QB controversy it’s relatively close … but we keep waiting for Doug to come around, for the line to play stronger for him … it happened last season too. And I get it, because when he has what he needs, he’s pretty good. But Maiava looks better and more ready to go.
Especially for a freshman.

Reactions: j. spilotro
This game was a better comparison than previous in game comparisons. At Michigan, they brought in the 2s and were playing less aggressive. Bryant was also a lopsided game.

But even in this game we protected much better for Jaden over Doug. He did have much better protection for whatever reason.

Was is our O line adjusting protections after watching Doug get rocked? Was it the fact that the film tells us that Doug isn't good identifying blitzes or making quick throws and/or play calls to adjust for it? It could be both.

Apparently Doug has been cleared to play after the game?

I honestly could either QB start next game. Sure it looks obvious to US from the outside looking in, but there may be other factors we aren't aware of.

Jaden also struggled handling the ball with run plays basically killed parts of the running game as well.

I'm not saying Doug should start. From what I've seen Jaden and the offense has looked much better overall this season. But I could also see Doug continue to get the start just because there may be reasons that we aren't privy to that would make that happen. But if he does he needs to show me something. Thats for sure.

JM has a very good arm. But Doug does as well. Also Doug did throw for 65% last year so saying he isn't accurate is also a bit misleading. He has not shown it this season for whatever reason.
Personally, I think that Doug has lost his starting position for two reasons. First, his passing is not as good as Jaden. Secondly, he has had to be taken out of all three games played. I think he should come in a reliever.

Last year, Doug was very accurate but most of his passes are less than 10 yds. JM proved last night he has feel and accuracy for passes over 10 yds which is needed if we want to move the ball down the field.
I don’t mind the peck offense, playing it safe, as long as it’s an element to the offense, not the whole offense. You have to get vertical at times.

There is no question that Jaden has looked much better throwing the ball overall this season in games.

I guess what I am getting at, that I can see Doug start the next game for a couple of reasons.

1. we still have not seen him settle into a game. At least not a competitive one.

2. He makes much fewer mistakes with the ball. NO question Jaden has made more positive plays, but he has made way more mistakes. The fact that the Michigan game was much cleaner is probably not a coincidence.

Doug may not see the field again, and I would totally understand why.

But if he does get his job back, not because of injuries, I'm not going to rip a part this coaching staff for doing so.

I don't think this is Sanchez that promised Rogers that he would start. This staff wants to win, and wants to win now. They have much more information than us, also of course experience.

Personally, I think that Doug has lost his starting position for two reasons. First, his passing is not as good as Jaden. Secondly, he has had to be taken out of all three games played. I think he should come in a reliever.
Him being "taken out" of the first 2 games is a bit misleading. The first game we were up big and the second we were down big. There was no need for the starter to be in those situations, especially the first game.

He has an injury history. You can't deny that. Probably why he was taken out of the second game, when you might expect the starter to finish.

But you can't worry about that too much if your are the staff. They need to put the guy out there they feel gives us the best chance to win. Make sure the back up is ready to fill in if necessary.

Reactions: rebelzzz
There is no question that Jaden has looked much better throwing the ball overall this season in games.

I guess what I am getting at, that I can see Doug start the next game for a couple of reasons.

1. we still have not seen him settle into a game. At least not a competitive one.

2. He makes much fewer mistakes with the ball. NO question Jaden has made more positive plays, but he has made way more mistakes. The fact that the Michigan game was much cleaner is probably not a coincidence.

Doug may not see the field again, and I would totally understand why.

But if he does get his job back, not because of injuries, I'm not going to rip a part this coaching staff for doing so.

I don't think this is Sanchez that promised Rogers that he would start. This staff wants to win, and wants to win now. They have much more information than us, also of course experience.
How long do you wait for #1 to happen? There’s no preseason, there are no settle in games. Not when you are a fringe team.

That doesn’t mean Maiava will be perfect or even the ultimate answer, it may be the wrong answer. Doesn’t look that way to you, me or anybody else.

We don’t see practices, we don’t know the inside. So we don’t know what they’re showing, how they’re acting/reacting, all of that stuff that DOES influence decisions. We aren’t blind as fans, but we will never be 20/20.

If Doug hadn’t shown such a strong propensity to “get going” whether it be within a season or within a game, I’d be more gray. When he does get going, I like him. But we also gotta realize, sometimes it takes too long.

It does appear, at least to my eye, that the effort shoots up when Maiava enters or at least when Doug departs. I don’t know how much confidence the offense has in him. Now that should never be negotiable, but it’s human nature to a large degree … especially with his age group.

How long do you wait for #1 to happen? There’s no preseason, there are no settle in games. Not when you are a fringe team.

That doesn’t mean Maiava will be perfect or even the ultimate answer, it may be the wrong answer. Doesn’t look that way to you, me or anybody else.

We don’t see practices, we don’t know the inside. So we don’t know what they’re showing, how they’re acting/reacting, all of that stuff that DOES influence decisions. We aren’t blind as fans, but we will never be 20/20.

If Doug hadn’t shown such a strong propensity to “get going” whether it be within a season or within a game, I’d be more gray. When he does get going, I like him. But we also gotta realize, sometimes it takes too long.

It does appear, at least to my eye, that the effort shoots up when Maiava enters or at least when Doug departs. I don’t know how much confidence the offense has in him. Now that should never be negotiable, but it’s human nature to a large degree … especially with his age group.
I'm just saying I'm good with what the coaching staff picks. At least right now I am.

Doug does hold on to the ball too much, but that wasn't the problem yesterday or at Michigan. He had very little time to do anything.

There are factors that we don't know that could play a role. Maybe Jaden is better at recognizing things pre snap. Picks better audibles. Etc.

He also isn't as good of a runner so he is more likely to throw it quick or away. So far that has helped him.

it may have looked better with him yesterday because we adjusted our play calling because our number 1 qb got crushed twice and had to be taken out of the game. thatll make you change things.

Either way, the coaching staff knows exactly what is going on.

As for you first question. IF Doug gets his job back, I'd like to see him after a few possessions with a more competitive opponent. We didn't get to see that yesterday. He had a rough start no doubt.
He is a better runner, FWIW.

Though I would pick the more effective passer over the runner any day of the week.

As for you first question. IF Doug gets his job back, I'd like to see him after a few possessions with a more competitive opponent. We didn't get to see that yesterday. He had a rough start no doubt.
He is a better runner, FWIW.

Though I would pick the more effective passer over the runner any day of the week.
He is a better runner. Sometimes that can hurt you too. He might be looking to bust out of the pocket instead of holding patience because he knows he has the legs.

I'm just saying I'm good with what the coaching staff picks. At least right now I am.

Doug does hold on to the ball too much, but that wasn't the problem yesterday or at Michigan. He had very little time to do anything.

There are factors that we don't know that could play a role. Maybe Jaden is better at recognizing things pre snap. Picks better audibles. Etc.

He also isn't as good of a runner so he is more likely to throw it quick or away. So far that has helped him.

it may have looked better with him yesterday because we adjusted our play calling because our number 1 qb got crushed twice and had to be taken out of the game. thatll make you change things.

Either way, the coaching staff knows exactly what is going on.
Watching Marion's interaction with Maiava is interesting. Marion seems more vocal and engaged.

He is a better runner. Sometimes that can hurt you too. He might be looking to bust out of the pocket instead of holding patience because he knows he has the legs.
That for sure happens with him. But again not the problem yesterday. If he throws 65% and opens up the playbook more with his legs then he would be the better option. He is certainly capable, it just hasn't gotten close this season.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
But I’m being told by somebody I trust that there ARE NOT the trust issues that I suspected might not be there. The offense is fine with Doug, there’s no division among the ranks. It’s just not clicking for him.
I believe it. Brum looks stoned. He's not himself.

But I’m being told by somebody I trust that there ARE NOT the trust issues that I suspected might not be there. The offense is fine with Doug, there’s no division among the ranks. It’s just not clicking for him.
It looks like to me that the team is all in on Doug. Or at least was. The team picks the captains. Now sure unlikely they wouldn't pick DB as a starting QB. But still.

Or it can hurt you literally you run too often and get injured which he certainly has a history of.

What is one of the only thing left in this program that represents Arroyo and the SOR? Doug Brumfield.

We’ve seen enough of him, he’s not good simple as that. Add in the injury history why even start him? So Maiava can come in the 2nd quarter of every game after Doug gets hurt.

Doug’s days as starter should be done. Let Maiava get the practice reps with the starters and let’s start a new era of UNLV football.

What is one of the only thing left in this program that represents Arroyo and the SOR? Doug Brumfield.

We’ve seen enough of him, he’s not good simple as that. Add in the injury history why even start him? So Maiava can come in the 2nd quarter of every game after Doug gets hurt.

Doug’s days as starter should be done. Let Maiava get the practice reps with the starters and let’s start a new era of UNLV football.
Cool idea and all. Maiava is an Arroyo's player. He's a red-shirted freshman. This is his second year with the program.

Cool idea and all. Maiava is an Arroyo's player. He's a red-shirted freshman. This is his second year with the program.
fair enough but like you said he red shirted, never played a down for Arroyo. We saw plenty of Brumfield last year, even through his injuries.

Look at his stats from last year. In MW conference games last year he threw 3 TD’s, THREE. He had more INTs than passing TDs (4).

Brumfield hasn’t looked good/comfortable/settled/competent whatever adjective you want to use in the 3 games. Not even against FCS Bryant, he looked rough in that game also.

If Odom and Marion want a chance to have a very good season they’ll go with Maiava. He hasn’t even gotten practice reps with the 1s and he looks miles ahead of Doug.

That for sure happens with him. But again not the problem yesterday. If he throws 65% and opens up the playbook more with his legs then he would be the better option. He is certainly capable, it just hasn't gotten close this season.
I think he’s way too concerned with his completion percentage and that’s why he makes such easy, unproductive passes. How often has he thrown a ball beyond 10 yards in his career?

Reactions: RRebel
fair enough but like you said he red shirted, never played a down for Arroyo. We saw plenty of Brumfield last year, even through his injuries.

Look at his stats from last year. In MW conference games last year he threw 3 TD’s, THREE. He had more INTs than passing TDs (4).

Brumfield hasn’t looked good/comfortable/settled/competent whatever adjective you want to use in the 3 games. Not even against FCS Bryant, he looked rough in that game also.

If Odom and Marion want a chance to have a very good season they’ll go with Maiava. He hasn’t even gotten practice reps with the 1s and he looks miles ahead of Doug.
Never a play a down for Arroyo in real game, yes. You're all over the place...Yes, Jaden Maiava is a good QB and he is moved to Vegas for his senior

Never a play a down for Arroyo in real game, yes. You're all over the place...Yes, Jaden Maiava is a good QB and he is moved to Vegas for his senior
I’m all over the place? It’s cool that Maiava moved here for his final year of high school but what does that have to do with the conversation between Doug and him at all? Where either of them attended high school is completely irrelevant. What is relative is how they’ve both looked this season and it’s evident which one gives UNLV a better chance to win.

Sometimes I think the situation with Doug and Armani were similar. I do think Doug is an actual better quarterback … but Armani was a good football player, just don’t think he was best suited for QB. But as QB, he showed some flashes with his arm … and he was good with his legs … but they were just flashes … we were waiting for things to click both within game and within season. And it rarely came. Zero consistency on the positive side of the ledger.

Reactions: gcunlv and RRebel
I’m all over the place? It’s cool that Maiava moved here for his final year of high school but what does that have to do with the conversation between Doug and him at all? Where either of them attended high school is completely irrelevant. What is relative is how they’ve both looked this season and it’s evident which one gives UNLV a better chance to win.y
Yes man, that is the conversation. I feels like I lost a few brain cells talking with

I think he’s way too concerned with his completion percentage and that’s why he makes such easy, unproductive passes. How often has he thrown a ball beyond 10 yards in his career?
Remember his MO before was unable to make the easy pass and was better with deep balls. Especially 2 years ago. He has improved there. Not perfect of course.
This offense is meant to stretch the defense downfield. No question the staff wants to utilize the speed we have
The protection has been mostly awful so far. That for sure has played a role.
I don't the staff will pick a qb that won't try to push the ball downfield.