ADVERTISEMENT

Pregame Talk UNLV at San Jose

San Jose did look pretty good against Wyoming. They have a rivalry game next week against Fresno, so seems like a good time to be playing them. Certainly capable of winning, but going to have to play solid, clean football. Winner will have a leg up in the west division

SJSU plays super solid defense especially against passing (a lot worse rushing, but some of that was from playing @ Auburn and them running all over them) and holding teams to field goals. On offense they like to stretch the field--they have 4 receivers averaging more than 14 yards a reception including all 3 starters. They also take care of the ball--only 2 turnovers in 4 games.

I think we'll be competitive, but we'll need to run the ball consistently and take care of the football to have a real shot...sadly, I think the line is just about right here.

Really tough games to call! Based on the media, we are playing the two best teams in the MWC over the next two weeks! If UNLV plays their best, they could win both games. If UNLV plays like it did in the first quarter against NM, UNLV could end up losing both games. I don't think we could spot either of those teams 17 points and come back!

Last edited:
Personally, I am curious how good this Rebel team truly is. Objectively I think they could be as good as 40-90 in terms of FBS rankings.
Let's face it, the overall competition has not been great up to this point. They can beat the other bad teams, even the lower middle tier teams.
Legit good teams don't blow everyone out they are supposted to. They have lapses and find their way to win. Something that we have done. I also think some of score totals aren't terribly indicative of the actual games as well.
I am worried about our secondary giving up big plays down field and giving away short stuff.
I think the O line has been a huge improvement over the past few seasons, especially pass protection (most of the time), but run blocking has been a little disappointing. Not wearing down teams in the second half as much as you would exepct given our usual size advantage.
I think the next few weeks will really show where we are this season.
Even if we go 0-3 the next few games, I will likely still be happy with how this season goes ( I thought 5-7 or 6-6 preseason).
For this school, I think any type of wins are huge, even if they aren't going to set the world on fire. Anything to get a little buzz in the Valley, reward the players and coaches for playing hard, help recruiting etc.

Personally, I am curious how good this Rebel team truly is. Objectively I think they could be as good as 40-90 in terms of FBS rankings.
Let's face it, the overall competition has not been great up to this point. They can beat the other bad teams, even the lower middle tier teams.
Legit good teams don't blow everyone out they are supposted to. They have lapses and find their way to win. Something that we have done. I also think some of score totals aren't terribly indicative of the actual games as well.
I am worried about our secondary giving up big plays down field and giving away short stuff.
I think the O line has been a huge improvement over the past few seasons, especially pass protection (most of the time), but run blocking has been a little disappointing. Not wearing down teams in the second half as much as you would exepct given our usual size advantage.
I think the next few weeks will really show where we are this season.
Even if we go 0-3 the next few games, I will likely still be happy with how this season goes ( I thought 5-7 or 6-6 preseason).
For this school, I think any type of wins are huge, even if they aren't going to set the world on fire. Anything to get a little buzz in the Valley, reward the players and coaches for playing hard, help recruiting etc.
"I think the next few weeks will really show where we are this season.
Even if we go 0-3 the next few games, I will likely still be happy with how this season goes ( I thought 5-7 or 6-6 preseason)."

Unfortunately for me and my psyche I'm totally amped for a really good season and a decent bowl. I'm not mentally prepared for a collapse.

"I think the next few weeks will really show where we are this season.
Even if we go 0-3 the next few games, I will likely still be happy with how this season goes ( I thought 5-7 or 6-6 preseason)."

Unfortunately for me and my psyche I'm totally amped for a really good season and a decent bowl. I'm not mentally prepared for a collapse.
Wow. Evolving at your age? That’s pretty good.

I’ve already (pretty much) surrendered to the idea that we will collapse mightily and struggle to get across the finish line. I can’t just “undo” decades of futility just like that.

But it is sort of a moment to moment thing. At 1:31, I think we are going to win conference. At 1:32, I think we will end up .500. Guess I haven’t bought in completely just yet, even though my eyes are saying things look pretty good with the team. Aside from our history, part of what’s holding me back is looking good against meh to poor teams so far. I do think, win or lose, strong showings the next couple of weeks would galvanize things in my mind.

If UNLV does 2-1 or better over the next 3 games, I could see the possibility of record breaking crowds at the home game (that is UNLV home attendance records). If the stars align and UNLV goes 3-0 and somehow beats Notre Dame (there is a 1 in a million chance, so there is a chance?) then the home crowd at the next game could be amazing!

I think 1 - 2 is a real possibility. to do that we need to play really well, limit penalties and turnovers. The secondary needs to show with the pass rush. Another words...we need to show up in all facets of the game....

Reactions: CRhodes1983
I agree that 1-2 in the next 3 games is possible and really would not be a bad result. Will we be favored at home against AFA? How do we match up? I do feel our front 7 is athletic. If they can stay gap sound and win individual battles we can win that one. We can score with anyone in the league, imo, especially if our receivers are healthy.

Does anyone know the status of Williams and Weimer? Having three legit wideout threats stretches the defense that much more for the RBs. BTW, does anyone else feel C. Reese should get a few more touches? He's averaging almost 7/carry vs Robbins almost 5/carry. I know it's a bit situational and sample size realted, but Reese is a little more dynamic than he's getting touches for, imo. I'm still not totally sold on Robbins. Sometimes he doesn't seem to see it well. Sometimes his run finishing is a little soft for his size. I can see why he'd not start in a decent P5 program.

The real key is keeping Dougie B on his feet. Too many more "Moon shots" and we're left with backup QBs. He's kinda frail and a conscious effort needs to be made to limit his body shots. Love him as our QB though and I'm already rating him in our top 3 QBs all-time.

Also, dating back to last season, we are 6-3 in our last 9 games. Since we've scarce had a 9 game stretch like that in program history, does the AD extend and raise salary/buyout. Since I'm sure coach is probably using us as a P5 stepping stone, might as well make sure we collect as much as we can on the back end since the P5 seems to have unlimited funds.

Really tough games to call! Based on the media, we are playing the two best teams in the MWC over the next two weeks! If UNLV plays their best, they could win both games. If UNLV plays like it did in the first quarter against NM, UNLV could end up losing both games. I don't think we could spot either of those teams 17 points and come back!

Definitely not Air Force. With the way they eat up clock, if you get down by 3 scores, you're going to struggle to get enough possessions to come back..

Last edited:
I agree that 1-2 in the next 3 games is possible and really would not be a bad result. Will we be favored at home against AFA? How do we match up? I do feel our front 7 is athletic. If they can stay gap sound and win individual battles we can win that one. We can score with anyone in the league, imo, especially if our receivers are healthy.

Does anyone know the status of Williams and Weimer? Having three legit wideout threats stretches the defense that much more for the RBs. BTW, does anyone else feel C. Reese should get a few more touches? He's averaging almost 7/carry vs Robbins almost 5/carry. I know it's a bit situational and sample size realted, but Reese is a little more dynamic than he's getting touches for, imo. I'm still not totally sold on Robbins. Sometimes he doesn't seem to see it well. Sometimes his run finishing is a little soft for his size. I can see why he'd not start in a decent P5 program.

The real key is keeping Dougie B on his feet. Too many more "Moon shots" and we're left with backup QBs. He's kinda frail and a conscious effort needs to be made to limit his body shots. Love him as our QB though and I'm already rating him in our top 3 QBs all-time.

Also, dating back to last season, we are 6-3 in our last 9 games. Since we've scarce had a 9 game stretch like that in program history, does the AD extend and raise salary/buyout. Since I'm sure coach is probably using us as a P5 stepping stone, might as well make sure we collect as much as we can on the back end since the P5 seems to have unlimited funds.

The thing with AF (Army and Navy as well) is..

1) You just don't see that offense all that much.

2) Its tough to simulate in practice (You really don't want to be cut blocking your own dudes in practice)

3) You have to be absolutely assignment sound against it.

Everyone matches up well physically with the Academies. 4 years ago? Army went into Oklahoma and lost to Kyler Murray lead team by a FG I think. In no way is Army anywhere near Oklahoma in terms of athletes. Shouldn't have been a game. But that offense shortens the game, keeps their defenses rested and off the field. It allows them to compete despite being undersized on the O-Line.

One misconception is that they run the triple option. There are elements of it, and people still call it that but it really isn't the same as the wishbone.

It still relies on the FB. But they don't rely on the option near as much as years past. Seems like it should be easy to defend. On its surface it doesn't look all that diverse. But they run multiple plays off of similiar motions...It actually is as complex as some of the high powered passing attacks like Mike Leach runs, they just run the ball 90% of the time vs pass..

Downside to that offense is if they fall behind it makes it difficult to come back.

Last edited:
It is looking like the winner of the SJSU/UNLV game could very well be the winner of the west division! It is sad the both BSU and Fresno State lost to Oregon State. Oregon State is 0-2 in conference play. They did play USC close, but Utah beat them by 26.

It is looking like the winner of the SJSU/UNLV game could very well be the winner of the west division! It is sad the both BSU and Fresno State lost to Oregon State. Oregon State is 0-2 in conference play. They did play USC close, but Utah beat them by 26.

Probably right.

Lot of football left, but if you lose the H2H then you need help.

This is a tough game and my honest opinion is Unlv has not played that good the last two games. The passing game has struggled so I am hoping we get some of our receivers back. If I had to pick I would say San Jose and they cover but hopefully Rebs surprise me.

OSU is a good team, they were close with Utah at the half, but their starting QB went down early. They threw 4 picks which didnt help either.

I'm kind of hoping Souders stepping up in the second half last game will give us that reliable slot target. He ran some nice routes and looked to have reliable hands--he's not as big a target as Weimer but he's 6'2" 200 so it's not like he's a little fella. Getting Kyle back is arguable more important from a shifting coverage off of Ricky than Weimer.

Yeah, that's a blow against SJSU. Beating UNM without them is one thing. This makes SJSU on the road THAT much harder.

BTW, I love Cam Oliver.

Teams are going to continue to float coverage to Ricky White's side until Williams gets back.

It opens some other things up. Guys will get a lot more 1v1..The WR room is deep, but losing what amounts to your 1a and #3 WR really tests that depth.

UNLV put Kyle Williams on the depth chart yet tweet contradicts it? Let's just say it "questionable" for the moment.

Arroyo and Brennan are close friends, might be a chess game going on between those two coaches?

If you go and read some of the SJSU fans' posts, Brennan won't even put or talk about any injured players or their possible returning.

Last edited:
This guy is sharp. I dont think this dude change his clothes or shower since UNLV starts winning.

The boys are mentioning the coaches. Hayward is special. UNLV is actually 2nd in the country in Turn overs margin at +11? I might be wrong...

I am starting to feel that Hansen may have not left on his own accord.

UNLV up to +7 now up from +5.5 in this video. Initial line was 3.5. Tough bet. LOL

I am not a betting man. I dont have that kind of money to bet but if I have unlimited $$$...$100 millions bet on UNLV please at +7.