• UNLV by 20+

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Bryant in OT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bryant straight up

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not complaining because we are dominating the scoreboard.

But aside from three or four huge plays … I felt Bryant played us pretty damn even.

Usually we are on the other side of that, looking for a couple breaks here or there or a couple less big mishaps …

Doug’s timing and precision were way off, his legs were good as expected … but I don’t want him running much either.

Not impressed at all.

Going to be a very long season, methinks
Not gonna go undefeated this season. It is a work in process. The offence is pretty good. Just want to see Brum calm down a little and take his time.
Defense is the bend but dont break type. Need a lot of work.

Not impressed at all.

Going to be a very long season, methinks
I don’t know about that. I don’t think it’ll be an impressive season, but I think it could still be good by UNLV standards.

Doug didn’t throw a lot, connected at a decent percentage but nothing about his arm wowed you. I felt like his touch was lousy and his placement was just as poor. We’ve seen this from Brum before. Had he just been a little better in those areas, i think the offense looks much better. He just flat out missed on some.

I’m worried about the D-line, they did nothing.

Special teams was pretty good and we have some good playmakers on the team. Have some speed. Some elusiveness.

After the next two games, we will probably write the team off as “that’s just Rebel football”. But I don’t know about that … stupid penalties? They weren’t there. Too over pumped? No, they seemed relatively poised. Focused? As much as they could be, really. It’s an entirely new offensive scheme and one that is nuanced at that. Defensively, different as well. What I’m saying is these things might take time to come together. I think with more real game reps, Doug will settle in.

I’m not more or less optimistic about the season after this single game. But I want to see it develop and unfold more. It may well be more of the same, but have a feeling that this is just the start of something (maybe not so much this season) pretty good, pretty above typical UNLV.

Not gonna go undefeated this season. It is a work in process. The offence is pretty good. Just want to see Brum calm down a little and take his time.
bryant is about as good as eastern wash who we lost to a couple of years ago. I say we have improved

Bend don’t break is an awful thing to rely upon because not every team is going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Doug still needs to improve on his accuracy. Threw it way behind White and caused him to fall after catching it. If he threw it on the money, it would have been a huge gain.
For sure. A little touch and placement would have taken that a long way. And the end zone toss, should be a TD 10/10 times with how open he was and how much time Doug had.

Those simple things can make a huge difference.

First game so defense could improve we have a lot of new guys. On the other hand less than 100 yards and one pick (I know he only threw 18 times) is less than impressive.

Was hoping for a more dominant performance, but took care of business. Considering I don’t think we played all that well and very inconsistently, yet won by 30, I’ll take it. Biggest improvement in year one under a new coach is typically game 1 to game 2. That’s the good news. Bad news is it will be hard to tell if that holds true with Michigan up next.

Still, if they can come out of that healthy, work out the kinks and be a bit more consistent, I do think we have the ability to win 5-7 games.

First game so defense could improve we have a lot of new guys. On the other hand less than 100 yards and one pick (I know he only threw 18 times) is less than impressive.
Yeah Doug is going to have to step it up but that's been the number 1 issue I had with him being handed QB1 going into this year.. the stats don't lie, he struggles with passing and misses the big plays alot. Good on the shorter stuff which is where his accuracy percentage looks good, but sub 100 yard passing days isnt going to get this team where it had to go.

Maiava looks good... His passing was crisp on the move and he zips a nice ball... looked very comfortable for his time out there
I was watching Maiava standing next to Doug before the game. Maiava is about 1/2 in shorter but built much more solidly. Doug was O.K., but you could not call that performance impressive. Very far from it.

Reactions: 220reb
Maiva will get his shot this year. I can’t see Doug playing all 12 games. Doug still was taking too many unnecessary shots when he’d use his legs. He hasn’t learned to slide. There’s no reason he should’ve taken some of the hits he did up 4 scores against Bryant….

Reactions: 220reb
Doug better play his ass off next week and pray that Maiava doesn't ball out when he comes in. Because if Maiava balls out and Doug looks terrible, there will be whispers for Maiava to start over Doug moving forward.

As some have mentioned, Maiava looks the part and looked good when he was in yesterday. All of this plus his fast ascent in terms of where he stands amongst his teammates that I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago could eventually elevate him into QB1 midway through the season.

It's getting boring seeing Doug's lack of accuracy and touch. Not sure how that hasn't improved these past two off-seasons.

I was watching Maiava standing next to Doug before the game. Maiava is about 1/2 in shorter but built much more solidly. Doug was O.K., but you could not call that performance impressive. Very far from it.
He sucked I was hoping for the white guy from last year…

Dude, I f’n paid 20 bucks to hold my metal container and my Fanny pack.

Doug better play his ass off next week and pray that Maiava doesn't ball out when he comes in. Because if Maiava balls out and Doug looks terrible, there will be whispers for Maiava to start over Doug moving forward.

As some have mentioned, Maiava looks the part and looked good when he was in yesterday. All of this plus his fast ascent in terms of where he stands amongst his teammates that I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago could eventually elevate him into QB1 midway through the season.

It's getting boring seeing Doug's lack of accuracy and touch. Not sure how that hasn't improved these past two off-seasons.
Tbh, it has to be earned … but I’d like to have a season with a clear cut with no looking over the shoulder. That impacts more than Doug, it impacts the level of confidence of the offense.

We’ve seen it before - split camps with who they’re more comfortable with. I think that’s terribly detrimental.

Doug wasn’t awful yesterday but he wasn’t good. I feel like UNLV could have had 14 more easily with just decent throws. Throwing behind people, overthrows with no loft, hitting them anywhere but the numbers … but we forget, there were games where Doug settled in and was pretty accurate. So we know he has it in him.

Maiava looked confident but that was also in garbage time. Not saying he can’t do it, I just prefer a clear cut starter with experience.

Reactions: dcut03
I'm "VERY CONCERNED" about the defensive line. I didn't see anything from that group that showed improvement from spring ball. We gave up 220 rushing yards to a lower division team. In this new 3-3-5 Defense the D-Line must be able to deal double teams and stop runs up the middle. I am not a fan of us playing Michigan next week. It's great that we are receiving a Million dollar payout however the chance of major injuries scares me. We lost Doug on the 2nd play at Notre Dame last year and that killed our season.

I'm "VERY CONCERNED" about the defensive line. I didn't see anything from that group that showed improvement from spring ball. We gave up 220 rushing yards to a lower division team. In this new 3-3-5 Defense the D-Line must be able to deal double teams and stop runs up the middle. I am not a fan of us playing Michigan next week. It's great that we are receiving a Million dollar payout however the chance of major injuries scares me. We lost Doug on the 2nd play at Notre Dame last year and that killed our season.
$1.5 million.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I agree. I had hoped to see some improvement in pass rushing. Didn't happen. Both the offense and defense lines still are in need of improvement. I thought Doug was supposed to have put on some weight. Looks the same to me. Skinny and fragile. I don't see him finishing the season. With Michigan coming up his season might be over next week. Not what I want but those guys are going to turn him into a pretzel. These body bag games won't stop though. Not while our media rights dollars stay what they are.

I don’t think accuracy is super fixable.
Having worked with many throwers in several sports, I've been saying this for years. Armani Rogers was never going to be able to hit the broad side of a barn no matter how much playing time he received.

Doug will accidentally hit his targets once in a while but he should run more than pass.

Michigan has a top rated O Line and the top RB combination in all of college football. Couple that with a strong QB and a good WR group. And they have good TE's.

Other than that, we need to go after their weaknesses on offense.

Um.... we lost Doug vs San Jose. We lost to ND because we couldn't block for punts...

To the other points on Doug, sub 100 yard passing days aren't going to cut it woth either RPO or Go-Go. The whole point is to unbalance a defense but if your QBs tendency over his 3 years has been legs first and then short dump offs I just don't see that changing or taking team to where it needs to go. And accuracy on mid to deep routes is necessary to stretch defense

Couple of comments. IMO this was a very dumbed down version of the offense. Very few odd fronts, not a ton of misdirection. The only weird go go thing was how we stack up double RB's.
Doug missed some throws for sure. Hit some too. He should be better I agree, but I do think they did minimize the playbook because they could in a game like this.
FWIW apparently Doug has looked very good in practice, and he has been known as a gametime player as well in the past (looking better in games vs practice).
I'm glad that our back up looked good. We may need him just because DB hasn't had a healthy season yet.
I was disappointed in the pass rush, but I thought we did well with most running plays. This was a better than expected line, but we should have been better. I also think we played vanilla defense without a lot of crazy pass rush looks either. We played press man in coverage and mostly just manned up with some QB spying. I think the D will be better. But not next week of course.

I'm concerned that Jalen St. John (LT #74) didn't play. Saw him standing on the sideline with a towel over his head. That gave Anton Ambuehl (#75) the start. Then Alani Makihele (LG #73) went down. St. John seemed to be walking around OK Makihele was struggling to walk after the game.

Bryant's #5 had his way with our DBs. Having a hand on their QB then him wiggling away for a 40-yard run needs to be cleaned up. As someone mentioned earlier, 400+ yds given up on D is not going to win a lot of games. Rebs had 400+ as well but it wasn't juggernaut stuff with a ton of 7-15 yard runs and 15-30 passes.

Plenty of nits to pick and things to work on but game 1, mission accomplished. Win the ones you're supposed to win.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

He also seems to need and extra second (than a top quarterback would need) to process what is happening in front of him. That second allows the defenders to respond and it makes things harder for him. I'm not sure that's something you can teach.

I'm concerned that Jalen St. John (LT #74) didn't play. Saw him standing on the sideline with a towel over his head. That gave Anton Ambuehl (#75) the start. Then Alani Makihele (LG #73) went down. St. John seemed to be walking around OK Makihele was struggling to walk after the game.

Bryant's #5 had his way with our DBs. Having a hand on their QB then him wiggling away for a 40-yard run needs to be cleaned up. As someone mentioned earlier, 400+ yds given up on D is not going to win a lot of games. Rebs had 400+ as well but it wasn't juggernaut stuff with a ton of 7-15 yard runs and 15-30 passes.

Plenty of nits to pick and things to work on but game 1, mission accomplished. Win the ones you're supposed to win.
Anyone know what happened with St John? He should be a difference maker for us. Thought I saw him limping on the sideline.