ADVERTISEMENT

Merger?? Really

The majority of the remaining nine Pac-12 members have better financial options with other conferences than to consider a Merger with the MWC.

George will be out of a job faster than he could spell all MWC schools.

I'm hoping that the MWC Media partners see value in adding WSU and OSU and increase our payouts should they be invited. I for one especially would like to get WSU in the conference. They have for some time been an excellent travelling school. I see those fans travelling to Vegas as a value added bonus.

The majority of the remaining nine Pac-12 members have better financial options with other conferences than to consider a Merger with the MWC.

George will be out of a job faster than he could spell all MWC schools.

I'm hoping that the MWC Media partners see value in adding WSU and OSU and increase our payouts should they be invited. I for one especially would like to get WSU in the conference. They have for some time been an excellent travelling school. I see those fans travelling to Vegas as a value added bonus.
OSU has a great baseball program as well.

The majority of the remaining nine Pac-12 members have better financial options with other conferences than to consider a Merger with the MWC. .
The majority of the 9 teams remaining (Utah, AZ, ASU, Washington and Oregon) are going to be in the Big 12 or Big 10 by the end of the week likely.

So the merger would be the MW with Cal, Stanford, OSU, and WSU. A merger would make sense for both conferences at that point.

I mean once the heavies leave- UO, UW, Utah, Stanford, Cal, ASU/UA, does adding OSU and WSU really improve the TV market value for MWC media partners? I would be highly suspicious that it does enough so that they increase revenue enough to make us care...

Reactions: CRhodes1983
It all depends on how many PAC schools are left. If it’s just WSU and OSU that get left behind a full merger seems pretty likely. If there’s still 4 or 5 PAC schools that don’t get Big12/Big10 invites then I think they cherry pick the best of MWC and the AAC and try to salvage the PAC.

It all depends on how many PAC schools are left. If it’s just WSU and OSU that get left behind a full merger seems pretty likely. If there’s still 4 or 5 PAC schools that don’t get Big12/Big10 invites then I think they cherry pick the best of MWC and the AAC and try to salvage the PAC.
That would be the best option for UNLV (outside of a miracle b12 invite). You keep OSU, WSU, Cal, and Stanford plus add UNLV, Boise, SDSU, CSU, Fresno, SMU, Memphis and Tulane. A mix of those schools is pretty solid and a definite step up from the current MW

I don't see anyone going to big 10, until ND decides, I heard there's split among schools, some want UVA/UNC, get into South both very good academic schools, one of reasons MD is in big ten now.

I don't see anyone going to big 10, until ND decides, I heard there's split among schools, some want UVA/UNC, get into South both very good academic schools, one of reasons MD is in big ten now.
IMO, the only way that the BIG 10 makes sense is if they want to have a whole west region. Already have USC and UCLA, so if they wanted to have a 4 or 6 team west division, it would make sense to add some more. Otherwise, just stay with the 2 LA teams

I maybe the Lone Ranger and way out in left field but I believe UNLV and the Vegas market could be a contender option still for the Big 10 or Big 12.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I maybe the Lone Ranger and way out in left field but I believe UNLV and the Vegas market could be a contender option still for the Big 10 or Big 12.
Yea B10 in 10 years if UNLV goes on a Boise state football run and basketball finds a Time Machine back to 1989

Big 12 seemed more likely before, assuming that the Pac 12 could have signed a decent media deal. Unfortunately, if the Big 12 grabs 4+ teams from the Pac, I don't see them needing any more schools in the immediate future. Who knows about 4-5 years down the road, but it's looking like the wheels are in motion for major shake ups across the whole country. It's the Big 10, the SEC, and then everyone else at this point.

Reactions: RRebel
Big 12 seemed more likely before, assuming that the Pac 12 could have signed a decent media deal. Unfortunately, if the Big 12 grabs 4+ teams from the Pac, I don't see them needing any more schools in the immediate future. Who knows about 4-5 years down the road, but it's looking like the wheels are in motion for major shake ups across the whole country. It's the Big 10, the SEC, and then everyone else at this point.
Only way I see it would be SEC coming for all the Texas markets.. TCU, Baylor, Houston.. That puts BIG 12 into the small media markets slots again and needing to go shopping for something thats going to excite the add executives- like Vegas. Otherwise, theyre left to Aimes, Manhattan, Morgantown, Lawrence/KC etc... not exactly large markets.

Only way I see it would be SEC coming for all the Texas markets.. TCU, Baylor, Houston.. That puts BIG 12 into the small media markets slots again and needing to go shopping for something thats going to excite the add executives- like Vegas. Otherwise, theyre left to Aimes, Manhattan, Morgantown, Lawrence/KC etc... not exactly large markets.
I think SEC, would want Miami, UNC, UVA, Clemson or flip FSU over Miami. Texas/Texas AM, don't care for Houston or tech, TCU/Baylor are both religious schools.

I do have question did Thompson moonlight as consultant on how to F PAC up, because he sucks in MWC!

We will all know by tomorrow night. ASU, AZ, and/Utah/UConn to Big 12. North Carolina leaves for SEC or Big 10 freezing out CAL and Stanford. Their research is as good as Cals and huge Alumni. If this comes true, WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford won't have a conference. Therefore, MWC could take their pick and freeze out elite academic schools with no fan base. Clemson and FSU are left out cutting bait. If this happens, we end up on streaming channels and CBS Sports. No need for MW in the evening time slot. We would probably get a football playoff spot and would be fine in basketball.

We will all know by tomorrow night. ASU, AZ, and/Utah/UConn to Big 12. North Carolina leaves for SEC or Big 10 freezing out CAL and Stanford. Their research is as good as Cals and huge Alumni. If this comes true, WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford won't have a conference. Therefore, MWC could take their pick and freeze out elite academic schools with no fan base.
AZ Board of Regents meeting is over. We should hear their decision anytime with a press conference tomorrow.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Just waiting to hear the line..

“UNLV to the SEC”

We could be the SEC’s Hawaii..

Those hillbillies can travel to Vegas.

o_O

• Haha
Reactions: RebelsDen
We will all know by tomorrow night. ASU, AZ, and/Utah/UConn to Big 12. North Carolina leaves for SEC or Big 10 freezing out CAL and Stanford. Their research is as good as Cals and huge Alumni. If this comes true, WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford won't have a conference. Therefore, MWC could take their pick and freeze out elite academic schools with no fan base. Clemson and FSU are left out cutting bait. If this happens, we end up on streaming channels and CBS Sports. No need for MW in the evening time slot. We would probably get a football playoff spot and would be fine in basketball.
UCONN won't be invited... they aren't a big enough market/draw for football. That's the reason why Gonzaga isn't going anywhere either. Conference realignment is about football $$, basketball success is secondary

Big12 fans are shortsighted pointing to their basketball dominance overall as a league. They don't care about football as much, which will come back to hurt them.

While I'm a bigger college basketball fan than I am football fan, this was my thinking as well for many years. "If UNLV can have a better basketball team then we can build up football." I was shortsighted as well (since I didn't know, growing up, that football ran the roost).

They want UConn over ASU and Utah despite ASU and Utah having much better football programs.

Depends on the Big 12 fans you talk to...
Those I know from Kansas while they like the idea of adding UA, Gonzaga, and UCONN for super basketball conference also get that football is moving in the right direction and that it drives the bus. KU is putting in some 300 million dollars to renovate entire stadium area building a new "district" with hotels and convention space around it...
With Oregon staying put or at least not going to Big 10 per reports, Im assuming they had their friends at Nike call and get a better media package or assurances to keep other schools around..

Big12 fans are shortsighted pointing to their basketball dominance overall as a league. They don't care about football as much, which will come back to hurt them.

While I'm a bigger college basketball fan than I am football fan, this was my thinking as well for many years. "If UNLV can have a better basketball team then we can build up football." I was shortsighted as well (since I didn't know, growing up, that football ran the roost).

They want UConn over ASU and Utah despite ASU and Utah having much better football programs.
They are definitely falling behind in football. But...

They are still good enough for at least a playoff autobid.

Also if a separation occurs from the NCAA in the future, their absolute dominance in basketball assures that they will be a big part of the NCAAT.

So bottom line they will not be left out.

Also there is the whole competitive balance angle.

Football has such a low degree of allowed failure that teams are going to Cannibalize themselves a bit. Being in a conference with 8 of the top 15 teams makes that tough.
The SEC arguably has that now, but only 2-3 teams have been able to break through to the playoffs. That has hurt some of the other teams' chances.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The San Diego paper is saying a merger has been discussed. Might be a full merger or they could cut a little fat from the MWC and get rid of SJSU, UNR, and Hawaii

But what if the Pac-12 schools want a smaller conference with membership that augments media rights value?

Or put another way: What if they don’t want all the Mountain West schools?

Mountain West bylaws contain procedures for suspending members but not outright eliminating them, although rules can be changed with nine of 12 votes from its presidents. The founding Mountain West members would not be in immediate jeopardy, sources indicated, but San Jose State, Nevada and Hawaii might be.

It will be interesting to see if Stanford comes. I am not sure they can survive as a independent in Football. Not sure if the MWC will accept them unless Football is included. I understand that they really don't want to associate with universities that are not on their level Academically but what other choice do they have.

I think Stanford would struggle being independent as well. The thing is they have 37.8 billion endowment. So basically they could do what they want lol.

Air Force, SMU, Tulane, Rice and Colorado st are all good academically. Maybe they’re all invited to compromise.

There won't be any academic considerations in the new iteration of whatever conference forms... The remaining 4 Pac 12 teams offer very little than existing P5 agreements and if your following along the new P4s are going yo quickly change that format, payouts, etc. The merger is an attempt to keep Pac 12 pay outs and CFP invite, but they 4 schools bring no real value in existing tv deals and markets, which is why they're not getting invites elsewhere. (Note Stanford brings value of prestige and successful other athletic programs, but it's a headache that other conferences seem to have avoided for all appearances)

If we do merge it's only for 2 years. Then the Pac 4 teams will try to jump to other conferences.

It will be interesting to see if Stanford comes. I am not sure they can survive as a independent in Football. Not sure if the MWC will accept them unless Football is included. I understand that they really don't want to associate with universities that are not on their level Academically but what other choice do they have.
I would like to see us take their non-football sports. Their Women's sports add value to the conference. Women's Soccer, Volleyball, and especially basketball would add a higher level of talent to our competition.

But, if we merge into the Pac12 it won't matter what the MWC says.

If we do merge it's only for 2 years. Then the Pac 4 teams will try to jump to other conferences.

if UNLV wants to have any chance at ending up in the B12 eventually they need to get in the knockoff PAC imo. Being in a “P5” should make it a little bit easier to possibly get a Big 12 invite in a few years rather than rotting in the MW

Board of regents here might block any move that splits UNLV and unr.
BOR only has a say if there's a contractual obligation that's not being met. The vote would be merely procedural as they gave up alot of their power after botching a couple hiring processes. If a school president and Chancellor present the path to a new conference, the Board votes to accept request, but a negative vote by a Reno stumper would be eviscerated for costing an NSHE school lets say Pac 12 @ 8-10 million a year more than current deal... they might voice disapproval for leaving Reno behind, but not at the flow of money to the states university system and prestige academically it would appear to bring...

If you have two years to have them in conference, it is two years to demonstrate improvements in W/L record, market share, viewership, attendance, NIL, etc. If (big if), La Rocque, Kruger, Odom, Harper, the players, and the donors step up to the challenge, those 4 will worry that UNLV will jump after 2 years. Utah had the opportunity and executed in the past. In my not so humble opinion, UNLV still has a window. If it executes, UNLV can pass SMU, SDSU, all four pac schools, uconn, csu, memphis, usf, etc. Had the Pac 12 added SDSU and SMU and kept the others and the Big 12 added UConn and someone else, UNLV would have been in much worse shape.

If you have two years to have them in conference, it is two years to demonstrate improvements in W/L record, market share, viewership, attendance, NIL, etc. If (big if), La Rocque, Kruger, Odom, Harper, the players, and the donors step up to the challenge, those 4 will worry that UNLV will jump after 2 years. Utah had the opportunity and executed in the past. In my not so humble opinion, UNLV still has a window. If it executes, UNLV can pass SMU, SDSU, all four pac schools, uconn, csu, memphis, usf, etc. Had the Pac 12 added SDSU and SMU and kept the others and the Big 12 added UConn and someone else, UNLV would have been in much worse shape.
No way UNLV can jump any of the remaining PAC schools, especially not Stanford. All are vetted P5 schools that have significantly more fan interest than UNLV. UNLV could win the conference this year in both sports and it still wouldn't matter.
They could, however, raise up to be right behind SDSU in the best of the rest, at least out west. Memphis probably is ahead of us especially for Big 12.

No way UNLV can jump any of the remaining PAC schools, especially not Stanford. All are vetted P5 schools that have significantly more fan interest than UNLV. UNLV could win the conference this year in both sports and it still wouldn't matter.
They could, however, raise up to be right behind SDSU in the best of the rest, at least out west. Memphis probably is ahead of us especially for Big 12.
I mean, being honest, if it wasn't for their luck of the draw conference alignment (and Nike dollars), Wazzu and OSU would be either Big Sky or MWC teams. As for Cal and Stanford, their affiliation with California probably keeps them above water but none were attractive enough to garner the same immediate jump and were left behind because of it. That means that whatever happens next, UNLV has just as much a chance at being in line as the other 4 remaining schools.
*research $$ aside, purely on a football/TV deal standpoint

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT