ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid Pac-2 just screwed the reverse merger....

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
By appointing Deputy Pac-2 Commissioner Teresa Gould as the permanent Commissioner. As opposed to the obvious move, making her interim/acting, placeholding the slot for Gloria. Whose resume leaves Teresa far in the dust. Absolutely another totally idiotic move by my President and OSU's.

Gee how motivated will Gloria be now to embrace a reverse merger? IMHO, not very. Or more likely, not at all. It'll be like "hey Pac-2, when you are ready to come crawling to join the Mtn West, I guess we will open the door".

Sorry guys. If only they would listen to the all-knowing Loyal Coug. :(

We're heading to the Big 12 anyways so good luck, lol...

But for conversations sake, I think holding on to the "Pac 2" is ridiculous as there's no way anyone is signing a media deal for 2 teams and that significantly reduces the brand and the reality of any hope it still holds at being a P5... and simply combining with MW and maybe a few others isn't going to really elevate the conference anymore that the MW currently is...

We're heading to the Big 12 anyways so good luck, lol...

But for conversations sake, I think holding on to the "Pac 2" is ridiculous as there's no way anyone is signing a media deal for 2 teams and that significantly reduces the brand and the reality of any hope it still holds at being a P5... and simply combining with MW and maybe a few others isn't going to really elevate the conference anymore that the MW currently is...
There are reasons for the Pac-2 to stay alive for the 2-year grace period - financial among them. While I don't agree that joining the Pac-2 wouldn't elevate the MW, it certainly would not diminish it.

Anyway, we screwed the pooch.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There are reasons for the Pac-2 to stay alive for the 2-year grace period - financial among them. While I don't agree that joining the Pac-2 wouldn't elevate the MW, it certainly would not diminish it.

Anyway, we screwed the pooch.
The big difference is that the MWC is currently set up to kiss the ass of Boise State. Paying them an extra $1.8 million in perpetuity was a stupid move.

By appointing Deputy Pac-2 Commissioner Teresa Gould as the permanent Commissioner. As opposed to the obvious move, making her interim/acting, placeholding the slot for Gloria. Whose resume leaves Teresa far in the dust. Absolutely another totally idiotic move by my President and OSU's.

Gee how motivated will Gloria be now to embrace a reverse merger? IMHO, not very. Or more likely, not at all. It'll be like "hey Pac-2, when you are ready to come crawling to join the Mtn West, I guess we will open the door".

Unless Gloria is working for all of the schools in the MWC, I have no doubt she would end up in civil court if she had anything to do with a merger into the PAC that didn't take all of the schools. She is an employee of all of the schools in the MWC, and any deal she makes that is detrimental to some of the schools would be easy pickings for an attorney. She will need to stay on the sidelines regarding any merger deal into the PAC.

This could be a sign of a PAC rebuild vs a merger situation. A new PAC makes the most sens in terms of maximizing revenue long term, but it would definitely be trickier.

But on the flipside, a merger could still happen, and Gloria could be the new commish of that league. And they could still call it the Pac I'm guessing if that is part of the deal once the MW absorbs the remaining PAC schools.

But that BSU clause is a tricky one. Not sure on the language of that deal if that is going to live as long as they are in the "MW" or not. Could a brand new TV deal restructure that as long as they don't lose annual TV earnings?

The writing was on the wall when the Pac didn't agree to play basketball against us.

Does the TV contract end in 2026 with no cost for any member school to leave the conference at that time? Why can't it become a free-for-all at that point with the most desirable schools (SDSU, etc) all leaving for the Pac?

The writing was on the wall when the Pac didn't agree to play basketball against us.

Does the TV contract end in 2026 with no cost for any member school to leave the conference at that time? Why can't it become a free-for-all at that point with the most desirable schools (SDSU, etc) all leaving for the Pac?
That's what I am not sure about. The buyout got jacked up again with the agreement for this year. I don't know how you can have a TV buyout penalty with no TV deal to base it off of.

It is very possible that the PAC are biding time and will try to strike before any new TV deal is agreed upon then snatch up all of the desirable (to them) MW schools to create a new PAC without the fees.

I just don't see the MWC get to 2026 without a new media contract. Gloria is not going to let the MWC fall apart without a media contract. She isn't going to fumble the ball like the Pac-12.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I just don't see the MWC get to 2026 without a new media contract. Gloria is not going to let the MWC fall apart without a media contract. She isn't going to fumble the ball like the Pac-12.
I agree here.. If shes not trying to get a new deal put together this year to try and get positioned for a 2025 negotiation and movement then she is really falling behind. You cant get into the last year of your deal and then start the process, especially if theres more movement next year around the Country. All it takes is one or 2 of your key programs and your money dries up. Get it put together, have the ADs vote on it and get the new deal in place to start when current deal expires.

I don't think this move will hurt any potential merger in the future. Gloria's resume is far above that of Teresa. To me Teresa is like UNLV hiring a Head Coach without any Head Coach experience. We've done that more than once. It hasn't been pretty. I'm not concerned in that Teresa was hired. She will be the #2 in our merger. What I am concerned is that we rush to join the Pac-2 and we still don't have a clear picture of all the liabilities the Pac-2 still faces. There are lawsuits ongoing among other issues. Do they even have a clear picture of the finances? Seems like that is a huge gray area. I'm not an accountant but one thing troubles me is those pensions the Pac-12 funds. How many millions of dollars is that costing per year? An organization as old as the Pac-12 must have a lot of former employees on pension. Those pensions are probably an after thought compared to the money the Pac-12 brought in but to the MWC it would be devastating based on the money we bring in.

Any school that wants to blindly jump into a Pac conference would be foolish at this time when no one knows the clear financial picture.

I don't think this move will hurt any potential merger in the future. Gloria's resume is far above that of Teresa. To me Teresa is like UNLV hiring a Head Coach without any Head Coach experience. We've done that more than once. It hasn't been pretty. I'm not concerned in that Teresa was hired. She will be the #2 in our merger. What I am concerned is that we rush to join the Pac-2 and we still don't have a clear picture of all the liabilities the Pac-2 still faces. There are lawsuits ongoing among other issues. Do they even have a clear picture of the finances? Seems like that is a huge gray area. I'm not an accountant but one thing troubles me is those pensions the Pac-12 funds. How many millions of dollars is that costing per year? An organization as old as the Pac-12 must have a lot of former employees on pension. Those pensions are probably an after thought compared to the money the Pac-12 brought in but to the MWC it would be devastating based on the money we bring in.

Any school that wants to blindly jump into a Pac conference would be foolish at this time when no one knows the clear financial picture.
I would think things are going on behind the scenes. I'm sure that the PAC will be contacting desirable schools if they haven't already to gauge interest on a potential new PAC. With that I'm sure they are floating hypotheticals with TV partners to get ball park figures on what markets would warrant the maximum revenue.
I doubt anyone makes any move completely blind.

I would think things are going on behind the scenes. I'm sure that the PAC will be contacting desirable schools if they haven't already to gauge interest on a potential new PAC. With that I'm sure they are floating hypotheticals with TV partners to get ball park figures on what markets would warrant the maximum revenue.
I doubt anyone makes any move completely blind.
It's possible. I don't have as much confidence in the PAC. Their two previous Commissioners were disasters imo. This new one has next to zero experience at this level to deal with what they have to deal with. Look up her experience. It's not someone I would hire to lead a P5 conference if that is what they intend on building.

I am not sure why this would be a surprise. If you had been reading different interviews and statements from the 2 schools remaining you can see they never have had intentions to merge with the MWC. They are looking to make the PAC as strong as possible. There will be MWC teams invites but not all. As well as teams from other conferences incited also.

It's possible. I don't have as much confidence in the PAC. Their two previous Commissioners were disasters imo. This new one has next to zero experience at this level to deal with what they have to deal with. Look up her experience. It's not someone I would hire to lead a P5 conference if that is what they intend on building.
Good points. But they did cut out the cancers with their last commish and to be honest Stanford and their crony Cal. So many bad decisions due to academic snobbery and just being dumbasses. I would imagine the AD's/presidents of the remaining 2 have had several conversations already before the new commish being named.

Good points. But they did cut out the cancers with their last commish and to be honest Stanford and their crony Cal. So many bad decisions due to academic snobbery and just being dumbasses. I would imagine the AD's/presidents of the remaining 2 have had several conversations already before the new commish being named.
Is there a difference between academic snobbery and athletic snobbery? I see it as two sides of the same coin!

Reactions: RebelScrub

Well I never thought that there was a big rush - nothing will happen in 24-25. 25-26? Hard to tell.

Pensions - good question. I started to type based on State of Washington Higher Ed rules (pensions only apply for lower paid staff and are actually obligations of the State. Management participates in a 403(b), basically a 401K.) But wait, the Pac-12 Conference people are in California (probably bad), and aren't actually Higher Ed (probably good). Hmm. Most of them should be laid off pretty soon anyway, so it will resolve itself IMHO.

Is there a difference between academic snobbery and athletic snobbery? I see it as two sides of the same coin!
Academic snobbery for athletic unions is the main point of dumbassery. Also their refusal of a near 30 mil per school TV contract when they had a chance, mostly from the NoCal schools.

So they now have to travel across country to play their sports, for free no less.

Its a little different than trying to be in a good athletic conference. Turning down SDSU that had just gone to a championship game and had been at the top of the MW in football in the previous years.

Last edited:
Academic snobbery for athletic unions is the main point of dumbassery. Also their redusal of a near 30 mil per school TV contract when they had a chance, mostly from the NoCal schools.

So they now have to travel across country to play their sports, for free no less.

Its a little different than trying to be in a good athletic conference. Turning down SDSU that had just gone to a championship game and had been at the top of the MW in football in the previous years.
Yep. If you don't know the back story, AFTER FUSC and FUCLA announced their pending departures, the remaining Pac had a $30M/team TV offer on the table from ESPN. Some dipshit professor, I forget if it was ASU or Utah, talked his President into believing that the Pac was worth $50M (we weren't). The rest of the Pac Prez's and Commissioner got talked into that, and we put it on the table. ESPN promptly said "goodbye" and gave basically the same deal to the Big-12. That was the beginning of the end. The streaming heavy, less money proposal fell on flat ears, and bye-bye the other 8 traitors. And the dipshit school now gets the same money that the Pac was offered in the Big-12!

Did I read correctly that bracketology (link below) has 6! MW teams in the BB tournament? The Pac only has 2. One of which being WSU, who plays the other, Arizona, for 1st place on Thursday.

And yes we should have taken SDSU, maybe in placeholder status until their buyout went down or away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT