ADVERTISEMENT

Merger?? Really

The ACC is going through another vote on Stanford and Cal, rumor has it Stanford will get in the ACC and Cal is an unknown if they will or not. Some people are saying SMU would go with Stanford. Others say SMU, Cal, Stanford and one other from the AAC. IF these scenarios occur there won't be a merger with the AAC. But as of now all just rumor.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The ACC is going through another vote on Stanford and Cal, rumor has it Stanford will get in the ACC and Cal is an unknown if they will or not. Some people are saying SMU would go with Stanford. Others say SMU, Cal, Stanford and one other from the AAC. IF these scenarios occur there won't be a merger with the AAC. But as of now all just rumor.
Yeah, I heard that they're having a vote today. Hopefully a lot of this stuff will take shape sooner than later.

If you look back through the merger posts on all the boards, there have been at least 30 different potential scenarios. I won’t believe a thing anyone says until I can see a tweet with a signed document.

Yeah, I heard that they're having a vote today. Hopefully a lot of this stuff will take shape sooner than later.
So, this is interesting. Looks like Stanford and SMU are still looking at ACC and I would guess that the ACC is still looking at them as well. Stanford according to the article below is looking at funding their athletic department from their endowment. They are nuts but maybe this will help us get to some movement sooner rather than later.

So, this is interesting. Looks like Stanford and SMU are still looking at ACC and I would guess that the ACC is still looking at them as well. Stanford according to the article below is looking at funding their athletic department from their endowment. They are nuts but maybe this will help us get to some movement sooner rather than later.

This is confusing to me. Volunteering to join the ACC at a reduced rate or even "free", just to fly across country for every single athletic event? Why?
Staying in a p5 conference is nice and all, but at least as of now it is not the only path to getting into the college football playoff. You put your team at a huge competitive disadvantage having to travel cross country so frequently. And if you care so much about academics, how does that help your student athletes?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Ya to be honest if Stanford creates a new PAC. They would have the best chance to win it. The conference won’t get an automatic bid anymore, but they would have best non-power conference

This is confusing to me. Volunteering to join the ACC at a reduced rate or even "free", just to fly across country for every single athletic event? Why?
Staying in a p5 conference is nice and all, but at least as of now it is not the only path to getting into the college football playoff. You put your team at a huge competitive disadvantage having to travel cross country so frequently. And if you care so much about academics, how does that help your student athletes?
Academic Snobs! They don't want to lower themselves with the likes of the MWC and AAC G5. Let the idiots go to the ACC. We can then move forward with whatever the 3 remaining schools want to do.

I believe it is to UNLV's advantage for this to drag out as long as possible, allowing UNLV to show improvement in football and basketball performance, attendance and viewership.

Bush and Condolezza Rice are still working the Presidents of the ACC to get them to change their mind and accept Stanford, Cal, and SMU. It doesn't feel like a closed door yet. I hope we get a clear picture by the end of the month. From another reporting yesterday where Stanford was going to their board to see about getting athletic department funding from their endowment I would have to think they are still seeing an opportunity. Hard to tell how this is going to end.

Nothing has changed....latest update.

Could be that both schools were coming all along and just had to look like they were doing due diligence for optics

Reactions: 220reb
WSU and Oregon st would be great additions.

Hopefully MW can put this together. Can be the difference of the best non power conference.

While they could help in elevating the MWC slightly in the short term, it will hurt those two schools significantly and just make them pretty irrelevant on a national level. Neither have fantastic athletic departments or are consistently good in football, they usually are really bad in basketball, are both a very distant 2nd place in their own states as far as interest goes. If this were to happen Most of their best athletes in every sport with the maybe the exception of OSU baseball will be in the portal the day it’s announced.

The MWC shouldn’t stop with OSU and WSU the conference should seek out other schools in the AAC or other good teams from the Sunbelt or Conference USA to bolster what’s left of the MWC and tie them up to avoid going the way of the do do!

The MWC shouldn’t stop with OSU and WSU the conference should seek out other schools in the AAC or other good teams from the Sunbelt or Conference USA to bolster what’s left of the MWC and tie them up to avoid going the way of the do do!
More than likely we expand if our media contracts give us more money for any perceived value of any potential candidate. Let's not dilute our media revenue to where we are making what we are making now. Gets us nowhere.

Would love expansion. Hopefully the new commissioner gets it. Was on here 2 years ago saying we should add 2 texas schools either UTSA, North Texas or Rice and MW did nothing and let the AAC raid Texas.

Hope we dissolve to 9 and merge with pac wash st, cal and Oregon st. Think stanford will go independent before merging.

Reactions: rebel5280
From late this morning there wasn't much talk anywhere about ACC picking up the 2 Pac schools. This afternoon a lot of talk going on. Now an article from ESPN:

I'm starting to see this happening. OSU and WSU to the MWC. The AAC might be interested as well but, why would OSU and WSU want all that travel expense. I never think I know what is going to happen because as soon as I do I'm wrong.

The MWC needs to add the Beavers and the Cougars and add some beef from the AAC, Sunbelt and Conference USA!
I'd like us to go after St. Marys and Zags for basketball. OSU and WSU will help in football but they don't add much in basketball. I'd even be happy with St. Marys and Wichita State because the Zags seem like arrogant pricks.

I understand smu and standford to ACC if they are ok with not being paid for 5 years. I don’t understand Cal. They’re in debt and need money.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
This also maybe why Oregon st and Washington st are on hold. They can keep the pac name and then just merge with MW.
Good thinking. With Cal and Stanford out of the way it sure would make it a lot easier to merge with the entire MWC joining the new Pac14. I wonder if that is what the AAC is thinking as well. It's going to get interesting even if we get OSU and WSU into the MWC adding some new blood.

MW needs to make it happen. Next up is Gonzaga. This could be potentially top non power football conference and a top 5 college basketball conference.

I'd like us to go after St. Marys and Zags for basketball. OSU and WSU will help in football but they don't add much in basketball. I'd even be happy with St. Marys and Wichita State because the Zags seem like arrogant pricks.
Why would the Zags and St Mary’s leave the WCC for the MWC? Lateral at best. Unless there was a big pay day they would have no reason to join the MWC.

Why would the Zags and St Mary’s leave the WCC for the MWC? Lateral at best. Unless there was a big pay day they would have no reason to join the MWC.
I don’t understand why they would.

Hell, if our basketball today was the same as it was 30 years ago, we’d be fine with the Big West. Why give up when you have a stranglehold on something good as they do? I don’t get it.

Now if a real p5 came knocking (they won’t), that’s different.

I don’t understand why they would.

Hell, if our basketball today was the same as it was 30 years ago, we’d be fine with the Big West. Why give up when you have a stranglehold on something good as they do? I don’t get it.

Now if a real p5 came knocking (they won’t), that’s different.
It would be a better basketball conference for them specifically. Especially with BYU now gone, the rest of the WCC does hurt them overall. They would probably get more TV money as well.
It's not a huge upgrade for them, but it is an upgrade that's for sure.

The MWC has a better NET rating than the WCC. Also, the Gonzaga Net was 6 last year and St Mary’s Net was 11. Huge additions for the MWC on the basketball side and along with OSU and WSU it would turn the MWC from a 3-4 bid league into a 5-6 bid leauge. At that point I don’t think you could call the MWC a mid-major basketball conference. It would be similar to the Big East IMO. Also, if ESPN wants it it will happen. Lastly, the add PAC name and call it the PAC 16. There is value in keeping the PAC name.

The MWC has a better NET rating than the WCC. Also, the Gonzaga Net was 6 last year and St Mary’s Net was 11. Huge additions for the MWC on the basketball side and along with OSU and WSU it would turn the MWC from a 3-4 bid league into a 5-6 bid leauge. At that point I don’t think you could call the MWC a mid-major basketball conference. Also, if ESPN wants it it will happen. Lastly, the PAC name and call it the PAC 16. There is value in keeping the PAC name.
I’d jump at taking both, no question. Just don’t know why they would do it. They were just fine before BYU anyway. They have complete “control” of their conference ….

I’d jump at taking both, no question. Just don’t know why they would do it. They were just fine before BYU anyway. They have complete “control” of their conference ….
On the basketball side there could be more $$$$. St. Mary’s at the T&M vs UNLV or Gonzaga at the Pit against the Lobos sure beats playing LMU or USD for interest and potential viewership.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
On the basketball side there could be more $$$$. St. Mary’s at the T&M vs UNLV or Gonzaga at the Pit against the Lobos sure beats playing LMU or USD for interest and potential viewership.
Maybe it’d be more, don’t know how much more … but the Zags reached a point where they are essentially shoo ins for the NCAAT. Like UNLV in the past.

No one cares about basketball as it relates to conference expansion. Gonzaga would have its pick of suitors if so and playing with the rest of the MWC teams is essentially a lateral at best from the WCC. They arent going anywhere, same with St. Mary's.

This article came out this afternoon and I think it lays out the MWC options very well. It aligns in thought with how some of us see it as well.

If lines come out before players start announcing that they aren't playing in bowl games, bet whoever draws OSU and WSU HEAVY! Those players, and coaches, aren't sticking around for one day after their season's final regular season game. All of those players and coaches were attracted to the P5, not to WSU and OSU.

That's why those schools won't be their current selves should they join our league. They'll have the appeal of Wyoming in the middle of winter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT