ADVERTISEMENT

Merger?? Really

Their going to have to merge with Someone. I just don't see any MWC schools paying 34 Million to leave.

If the Pac# agreed to pay 50% of the exit fee or more then you will see MWC schools going to the Pac# next season. They can sit on their ass and do nothing or they can grease the wheel and get this thing moving. I'm not saying this because I think we would be one of those going. I don't think we would be one of those schools. This is about saving the Pac# from it's demise. I think the Pac# can still put together a media deal with the new members. It might seem small to the current Pac# members but for the MWC schools it's not going to be any worse than it is now.

Why is no one on these boards screaming about rumors of pac4 to the aac? That would put them in big lead for "the next best" after the power 4 and then the aac would like pick off our biggest brands, like sdsu, csu, and boise and we are farther behind than we are today with even less tv money.

That us why we absolutely need to have 9 mwc schools blow up the mwc exit fees, and get the pac4, and the best of the rest (smu, utsa, tulane). If we wait for crumbs, we will get crumbs.

Why is no one on these boards screaming about rumors of pac4 to the aac? That would put them in big lead for "the next best" after the power 4 and then the aac would like pick off our biggest brands, like sdsu, csu, and boise and we are farther behind than we are today with even less tv money.

That us why we absolutely need to have 9 mwc schools blow up the mwc exit fees, and get the pac4, and the best of the rest (smu, utsa, tulane). If we wait for crumbs, we will get crumbs.
I think with the Oliver Luck hire, consultant, that they are going to look to rebuild the Pac#. When the Big12 lost Texas and OK they hired Oliver as a consultant and he helped them rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired him for their next Commissioner. He was a candidate for the job when they hired George. They will raid the AAC and maybe pay the SDSU exit fee and take them in. I can see that happening if Cal and Stanford don't get into a P5 conference. Stanford does not want to associate with the rest of the MWC.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The PAC will survive this and in the end will take 4-5 teams from the MWC and 3-4 teams from the AAC. Right now UNLV is one of their top 3 choices out of the MWC along with SDSU and CSU. UNLV needs to figure out the exit fee or they will be left behind and become about as relevant as SUU is.

The PAC will survive this and in the end will take 4-5 teams from the MWC and 3-4 teams from the AAC. Right now UNLV is one of their top 3 choices out of the MWC along with SDSU and CSU. UNLV needs to figure out the exit fee or they will be left behind and become about as relevant as SUU is.
You sure Boise and Fresno not ahead of us?

They certainly should. Unfortunately most of the MWC presidents are weak and will stand pat “hoping” good things fall into their lap. If the ACC doesn’t take Cal and Stanford the MWC is screwed. UNLV better be working on an exit plan. We should be working with SDSU on getting the first tickets out of here. Unfortunately our admin will probably work on leading the rebuild of the MWC with UNR and SJSU.

I know many think Boise is one of the top choices but from what I have heard they are closer to 5-6. If Stanford and Cal stay in the PAC they realize academics standards will have to drop a bit from what they have been but they want them to still have certain criteria and Boise doesn't meet those. Also Boise doesn't bring much benefit in viewer rating, they are not the team they use to be. They don't bring to the table what a bunch of people in the MWC think they do and the four teams left in the PAC know that.

I would love to think UNLV is 2nd or 3rd on the list of teams to be added but my gut tells me we are 5th behind SDSU, CSU, Fresno and Boise. My hope is they take 5 from the MWC and we are more than likely the 4th or 5th team!

I know many think Boise is one of the top choices but from what I have heard they are closer to 5-6. If Stanford and Cal stay in the PAC they realize academics standards will have to drop a bit from what they have been but they want them to still have certain criteria and Boise doesn't meet those. Also Boise doesn't bring much benefit in viewer rating, they are not the team they use to be. They don't bring to the table what a bunch of people in the MWC think they do and the four teams left in the PAC know that.
Football rules this whole realignment, I think we may have a good football year, but as a football brand, we are way behind blue field Boise.

Reactions: rebel5280
I agree with you. UNLV, CSU, and SDSU are likely their top 3 choices from MWC.

I would love to think UNLV is 2nd or 3rd on the list of teams to be added but my gut tells me we are 5th behind SDSU, CSU, Fresno and Boise. My hope is they take 5 from the MWC and we are more than likely the 4th or 5th team!
I cannot imagine that a conference with Stanford and UC Berkeley would prioritize Fresno and Boise higher than UNLV, due to academics and Berkeleys desire to omit cal state schools. BefOre the Pac fell apart, UNLV was considered the third choice behind SDSU and SMU amd possibly behind CSSU.

Football rules this whole realignment, I think we may have a good football year, but as a football brand, we are way behind blue field Boise.
10 years ago, maybe. However, UNLV's brand is on the rise and Boise's brand is falling. Boise won the MWC championship 1 time in 5 years and has not appeared in a BCS bowl in many years. So what. In addition to weaker academics, Boise is in a smaller market, has less facilities, and less upside. Furthermore, would OSU and WSU want Boise in the same conder3mce as they may compete geographically for some of the sane recruits. My prediction of priorities of pac from mwc in order (won't necessarily take all of these), if the current 4 stay: sdsu, unlv/csu, air force, unm, boise, utah state. From other conferences: SMU, UTSA/Tulane, Memphis. If they go east coast, consider usf, temple and uconn. Could target all 3 service academies.

Reactions: rebelzzz
Since we’re on the topic of marketshare, Boise has a monopoly in their city. Its a well supported program with flags (that I saw a couple of weeks ago) from Twin Falls to Grangeville.

But that’s that. The program doesn’t have much more market share to take or to grow. This is true for Oregon State, unr, and Washington State as well. Oregon and Washington dominate the markets in both states. unr has their faithful fans, but its not as if Reno is growing quickly as a city.

Tulane, Rice, Smu, and CSU are in markets that are indeed large. The difference is these particular programs aren’t the top of their area. LSU, Texas, Houston, and Colorado all dominate their respective markets.

UNLV has a monopoly in Vegas. We have plenty of people to “support” a successful program. Vegas loves a winner, and I m sure the bandwagon and fair weather fans will come out in numbers if UNLV can win consistently.

Interested to see how this plays out.

I could see them doing a merger like that for football, but it would really suck for all of their Olympic sports. Stanford & Cal specifically have a lot of olympic sports programs, so the travel costs would add up if they did that for all sports. I guess it depends on what they can get in terms of money, and automatic eligibility for bowl playoff games. As it stands, I'd think Oregon State would have a good chance at winning a combined conference like that.

Said it before and I’ll say it again

UNLV will be sitting in whatever the mountain west becomes. We are a nothingburger and the truth hurts. I will never be so happy to be proven wrong, so don’t think I’m anti-Rebs….very proud alumni and I’ll celebrate if we get a promotion

Said it before and I’ll say it again

UNLV will be sitting in whatever the mountain west becomes. We are a nothingburger and the truth hurts. I will never be so happy to be proven wrong, so don’t think I’m anti-Rebs….very proud alumni and I’ll celebrate if we get a promotion
It’s sad that if you don’t feel optimistic about a particular situation, you are considered anti. I don’t think that at all. It means at least you have the guts to be real, because I know you WANT to have the feeling of optimism. It’s easier. Until it’s not.

It’s sad that if you don’t feel optimistic about a particular situation, you are considered anti. I don’t think that at all. It means at least you have the guts to be real, because I know you WANT to have the feeling of optimism. You have to lie to yourself and others for the appearance of being on the “right side”. It’s easier. Until it’s not.

Nailed it. I bleed scarlet and grey but I don’t want to be let down anymore. I’ll still cheer for the Rebs to whip whomever they end up calling a conference rival. That part makes no difference to me as a fan

UNLV definitely hasn't "earned" an upgrade. Other than spending money on a practice facility and now a coach.
But their market and facilities may be enough to get a marginal upgrade into a new PAC. They are desperate enough that they will grab whatever schools that might help their TV contract numbers. Fair or not, UNLV has a good chance of being one of those schools.
Those holding out for Big 12 are going to get upset. That's for sure. Unless we win a conference championship ( in football) in the next 3 years and we start averaging over 30k for games. Then maybe, but only if they are looking to expand again, which would be doubtful at that time.

Interested to see how this plays out.

Yormark pretty much shut the door "today" on expansion at this time on further Pac# schools. And with the ACC voting no to admitting Cal and Stanford I guess this is as good as any place to start. I'm sure his traveling show will also be meeting with Gloria and the MWC as well. So the options are either Cal and or Stanford go independent, they merge with AAC or MWC, or they rebuild. While all that is going on I'm thing the Pac# lawyers are hard at work trying to figure out how much money is left for the four schools.

I don't get a feel for any timeframe as to what direction they go. Still a lot for them to figure out.

Yormark pretty much shut the door "today" on expansion at this time on further Pac# schools. And with the ACC voting no to admitting Cal and Stanford I guess this is as good as any place to start. I'm sure his traveling show will also be meeting with Gloria and the MWC as well. So the options are either Cal and or Stanford go independent, they merge with AAC or MWC, or they rebuild. While all that is going on I'm thing the Pac# lawyers are hard at work trying to figure out how much money is left for the four schools.

I don't get a feel for any timeframe as to what direction they go. Still a lot for them to figure out.
That's something worth discussing.
What happens with all of that NCCAT money with the PAC? Would they forfeit if they joined another conference? The ones that have left so far have seemingly forfeited their shares.
If they merged but kept the PAC name would they keep it then?
If they rebuilt the PAC then for sure you would think that the remaining 4 would get the money, which is significant apparently.
I think they try to rebuild. Get some AAC schools that do not have the ridiculous buyout, maybe just SDSU from the MW to get to the minimum required to actually officially remain a conference for 2024, then add more MW schools for the following year to boost the contract money and to generally round out the conference. They could subsidize the exit fees ( they are usually negotiated down as well) for the first year schools. They could invite all the schools but only officially accept them in up front in 2 phases.

That's something worth discussing.
What happens with all of that NCCAT money with the PAC? Would they forfeit if they joined another conference? The ones that have left so far have seemingly forfeited their shares.
If they merged but kept the PAC name would they keep it then?
If they rebuilt the PAC then for sure you would think that the remaining 4 would get the money, which is significant apparently.
I think they try to rebuild. Get some AAC schools that do not have the ridiculous buyout, maybe just SDSU from the MW to get to the minimum required to actually officially remain a conference for 2024, then add more MW schools for the following year to boost the contract money and to generally round out the conference. They could subsidize the exit fees ( they are usually negotiated down as well) for the first year schools. They could invite all the schools but only officially accept them in up front in 2 phases.
I believe who ever remains in the Pac# effective 8/2/2024 will keep all the money. From what I'm hearing there could be as much as $400 million dollars in the Pac# treasury. I'm sure there are lawyers working on that. As for a merger it would seem to me that if the 4 remain together and have the AAC or MWC merge into the new Pac# they will retain the money. The new Pac# can still select the merge date for 8/2/2024 so the 4 can keep the money and the newbies may share in future NCCAT money combined from both conferences.

As for a rebuild the Pac4, assuming they are together as of 8/2/2024, keep the money. They will make the poached teams start 8/2/2024. The date would make sense especially if they go after MWC teams who will pay less exit money. And, if the Pac4 want to help with exit fees that makes it easier as well. There won't be any new teams coming in earlier than that date anyway since all schools coming in will have to pay some exit fee whether its AAC or MWC and the Pac8 leaving aren't officially out of the Pac12 until 8/1/2024. All that being said all schools getting an invite have one year before they officially join. That also gives the Pac# time to find a media partner marketing the new Pac# conference.

Even in a merger situation I would believe the time frames mentioned would still apply. You don't want to bring in any new members without first getting your Pac4 hands on what ever money remains from the Pac12. 8/2024 would also make the merger easier to form since most of the Pac# money issues would be resolved.

This is just how I see it. I'm sure others have thoughts on this as well.

I believe who ever remains in the Pac# effective 8/2/2024 will keep all the money. From what I'm hearing there could be as much as $400 million dollars in the Pac# treasury. I'm sure there are lawyers working on that. As for a merger it would seem to me that if the 4 remain together and have the AAC or MWC merge into the new Pac# they will retain the money. The new Pac# can still select the merge date for 8/2/2024 so the 4 can keep the money and the newbies may share in future NCCAT money combined from both conferences.

As for a rebuild the Pac4, assuming they are together as of 8/2/2024, keep the money. They will make the poached teams start 8/2/2024. The date would make sense especially if they go after MWC teams who will pay less exit money. And, if the Pac4 want to help with exit fees that makes it easier as well. There won't be any new teams coming in earlier than that date anyway since all schools coming in will have to pay some exit fee whether its AAC or MWC and the Pac8 leaving aren't officially out of the Pac12 until 8/1/2024. All that being said all schools getting an invite have one year before they officially join. That also gives the Pac# time to find a media partner marketing the new Pac# conference.

Even in a merger situation I would believe the time frames mentioned would still apply. You don't want to bring in any new members without first getting your Pac4 hands on what ever money remains from the Pac12. 8/2024 would also make the merger easier to form since most of the Pac# money issues would be resolved.

This is just how I see it. I'm sure others have thoughts on this as well.
What happens if the remaining teams split? Stanford and for the sake of argument, Cal go Indy, and the remaining 2 go to the MW. Would OSU and WSU get 200 mil a piece? With the entire conference splitting up, would the other former PAC teams have a claim since the conference is really gone?
I don't know the rules, but having new members joining probably would not affect the NCAAT payout. I would imagine it would only go to the members that were part of the conference when that money was earned. Also my understanding that is not a lump sum, but gets paid over time? So joining after 8/2/24 may not matter much anyway since it's not like they would get the entire payout at that time.
I think it is to UNLV's favor to have this get drawn out. I really think both Football and Basketball have a chance for a bit of a breakout season with a good chance of some sort of post season for both teams. But fans need to show up. That is the other, perhaps more difficult, part.

I may have some inside news….but I am extremely hesitant to say anything. I have almost no substantial proof and it’d just start more rumors….but I do have a unique tie to someone very high up in UNLV that just gave me a cryptic nugget…don’t read too much into this

Reactions: reagan21
I may have some inside news….but I am extremely hesitant to say anything. I have almost no substantial proof and it’d just start more rumors….but I do have a unique tie to someone very high up in UNLV that just gave me a cryptic nugget…don’t read too much into this
Why even mention it? Doesn't make any sense.

and is it a positive or a negative nugget? I'd assume positive.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
It’s not so much about the MW as it is the Pac - not sure how the MW is affected yet

Plain nugget at the moment from a senior leader. Plain in that we (UNLV) aren’t directly impacted from what they said

• Sad
Again, these are just my thoughts:

What happens if the remaining teams split? Stanford and for the sake of argument, Cal go Indy, and the remaining 2 go to the MW. Would OSU and WSU get 200 mil a piece?
I think it would be foolish of all four to announce any plans prior to 8/2/2024. There is no rush if there is a chance to make all that money and not have to share it with the departing 8.
With the entire conference splitting up, would the other former PAC teams have a claim since the conference is really gone?
That would seem like that is what would happen from my thinking.
I don't know the rules, but having new members joining probably would not affect the NCAAT payout. I would imagine it would only go to the members that were part of the conference when that money was earned. Also my understanding that is not a lump sum, but gets paid over time? So joining after 8/2/24 may not matter much anyway since it's not like they would get the entire payout at that time.
Two different pots of money. 1. Money they have on hand today and money they will be earning from the media rights for the 23/24 season should belong to the P4. 2. NCAAT payouts.

The NCAAT payouts beyond the 23/24 season I would think would have to be negotiated in any realignment between the P4 and new members.
I think it is to UNLV's favor to have this get drawn out. I really think both Football and Basketball have a chance for a bit of a breakout season with a good chance of some sort of post season for both teams. But fans need to show up. That is the other, perhaps more difficult, part.
We agree. We have a huge opportunity to improve our performance. Basketball with the talent assembled we should be top 4 in the MWC. We better see an NCAAT pick, If we start 4 seniors with the talent they promise then we need to do something this year. With football I think there will be some excitement with the new coach and the Go-go offense. We also look to have some good transfers on defense. I'm always hesitant to get over confident based on past history but, I feel good about our team showing some marked improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT