ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the Pac 12

That's not the 12 team playoff... the playoffs are supposed to make it feel like every level has a chance, like March Madness, but that's not exactly a reality of talent gaps
Just a preview of things to come in the playoffs

Saying that doesn't make UNLV look good. We had the championship game IN OUR OWN YARD and barely got more than a normal game. One good season doesn't make a program. I know you guys keep saying the LV TV market, but do we really? Until the Rebels put 5-6 years of bowl winning championship seasons, people in the LV market won't even notice.

For an entire economy built on losing, paradoxically, Las Vegas only care about winners. Until you win consistently, no one cares. And when you stop winning, they'll toss you aside.
Good enough point, but UNLV was on the upper end of the conference with attendance overall. SJSU has been below 18k or worse the past couple of years, which a much better football program within that time.

Also UNLV was 2nd or 3rd in TV viewership in the conference. I think UNLV has better TV viewership than the home attendance numbers may make you believe.

For Mojo: the attendance for the MWC game was about 30% higher than our season average, so it was not a small bump. Also was the highest attended MWC champ game ever.

Regarding the TV numbers, that’s pretty skewed due to the Michigan game. That game definitely inflated our viewership for the season. Don’t think too many were tuning in to see us in that one.

Reactions: Takethat702
For Mojo: the attendance for the MWC game was about 30% higher than our season average, so it was not a small bump. Also was the highest attended MWC champ game ever.

Regarding the TV numbers, that’s pretty skewed due to the Michigan game. That game definitely inflated our viewership for the season. Don’t think too many were tuning in to see us in that one.
For sure w got a big bump against Michigan, but the number one team was CSU, but that was 90% that CU CSU game. Probably one of the most watched regular season games of the season in all of college football.

Most other MW teams had games against good teams. Maybe not Michigan level, but still. It's not like other teams didn't also have a game that bumped their ratings. Wyoming at Texas, SJSU against USC and Oregon State, Boise against Washington, etc. But other than the Colorado game, Michigan was likely the next most watched game in the conference.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Saying that doesn't make UNLV look good. We had the championship game IN OUR OWN YARD and barely got more than a normal game. One good season doesn't make a program. I know you guys keep saying the LV TV market, but do we really? Until the Rebels put 5-6 years of bowl winning championship seasons, people in the LV market won't even notice.

For an entire economy built on losing, paradoxically, Las Vegas only care about winners. Until you win consistently, no one cares. And when you stop winning, they'll toss you aside.
We had the championship game in our backyard and barely got more than a normal game? UNLV had 31,473 people at the game which was the largest ever attended championship game for the MWC. The most to ever attend a BSU home championship game was 26,101. The second most attended game was back in 2013 at Fresno State with a crowd of 31,362. It appeared to me that Las Vegas did a great job of getting people out to the game considering they averaged around 24K during the regular season compared to Fresno State averaging over 40K per game.

Last edited:

Yes and no.

Basketball was a pretty steady decline in attendance. People didn't run after the first sub par season. It had built some equity with Vegas.

VGK missed playoffs one year, it didn't really impact attendance that year or next. They had equity with the community.

Football is in the building equity stage. It will take a few years to do that.

I think your half right about TV market.

Vegas is never likely going to be a UNLV football town. But it doesn't need to be. It's a growing city, it just needs a fraction of the population to start tuning in.

Right now? Nope. Definitely not. But if they start winning maybe.

It's the possibility/potential of the market that's the draw not where it is currently.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

You know expectations for crazy attendance numbers like 45k for a championship game was wishful thinking and I think given the circumstances unlv did very well when you factor in start time etc. Wasn’t unlv drawing 14-16k at SBS? We’ve come a long ways but still a ways to go.

I was watching Montana vs NDSU the other night. The game was in Missoula and ESPN was always panning to their crowd. Optically it looked like 40-50k packed the joint, in reality it was 26k. That’s four-five thousand less than what unlv drew.

but it sold out in 15 minutes.
Did it sell out in 15 minutes, or did all the ticket agencies buy up all the seats? For the UNLV bowl game it is obvious based on the prices of the tickets that the ticket agencies have control of all of the seats and have increased the original ticket prices 2X-5X over the original price.

Did it sell out in 15 minutes, or did all the ticket agencies buy up all the seats? For the UNLV bowl game it is obvious based on the prices of the tickets that the ticket agencies have control of all of the seats and have increased the original ticket prices 2X-5X over the original price.

I was watching the game I thought what I heard them say was that between season ticket holders and those that put a deposit down to become a season ticket holder next season that 90% of tickets were sold before they opened it up to the public?

Reactions: Rebel1986
but it sold out in 15 minutes.
I've been to a Montana game. Really cute and cozy stadium, but unless they expanded since I was there many years ago it holds low 20's. Great game day atmosphere. And cute chicks, which is all that matters.

This thread is interesting. You all talk about attendance (my Cougs with our downsized 33k stadium which we rarely fill is nothing to write home about), But the dichotomy (right word?) between butts in seats and TV viewership - AKA money.

In the Big and SEC, 80, 90, 100K attendance is meaningful. Money-wise. Then you have the TV revenue on top. So we can talk all we want about butts in seats, but the money, sadly, comes from TV. Butts on couches. Not sure what my point is here.... :)

I've been to a Montana game. Really cute and cozy stadium, but unless they expanded since I was there many years ago it holds low 20's. Great game day atmosphere. And cute chicks, which is all that matters.

This thread is interesting. You all talk about attendance (my Cougs with our downsized 33k stadium which we rarely fill is nothing to write home about), But the dichotomy (right word?) between butts in seats and TV viewership - AKA money.

In the Big and SEC, 80, 90, 100K attendance is meaningful. Money-wise. Then you have the TV revenue on top. So we can talk all we want about butts in seats, but the money, sadly, comes from TV. Butts on couches. Not sure what my point is here.... :)
Schools in the BIG and SEC been around a long time. Some are longer than others. I forgot my history which school was the first University in the United States...let me google.

Oldest university ..lol. https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/10-oldest-universities-us

UNLV: 1957 or 1969. when unlv become a university

University of North Carolina is the first public university: https://www.unc.edu/about/history-and-traditions/#:~:text=The University of North Carolina was the first public university,act that established the University.

Kansas University: when did kansas university become a university

UNLV is about 200 years behind those schools as far tradition or mistakes goes?

I knew that Regina's Pizzeria was the oldest pizzeria in the nation. They still have the original brick oven too.

Last edited:

The biggest change at UNLV financially may have been moving into the new stadium. UNLV jumped from losing over a million a year in football to a profit of several million prior to the 2023 season. Ticket sales this year took a significant jump again, and if things go as well next year, UNLV could be flirting with 30K per game compared to under 20K in the old stadium. My expectation is if UNLV continues to improve ticket sales will increase, TV viewership will increase, and finances will continue to improve.

I would be shocked if UNLV doesn't averaged over 30K per game next year. The team is going to come out smashing everyone next year. Maiava is going to improved and so is Ricky White (I wouldn't be surprised if White go to the NFL next year). He is good enough. the NFL development staff and and players developments will help White if he chose that way.

Schools in the BIG and SEC been around a long time. Some are longer than others. I forgot my history which school was the first University in the United States...let me google.

Oldest university ..lol. https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/10-oldest-universities-us

UNLV: 1957 or 1969. when unlv become a university

University of North Carolina is the first public university: https://www.unc.edu/about/history-and-traditions/#:~:text=The University of North Carolina was the first public university,act that established the University.

Kansas University: when did kansas university become a university

UNLV is about 200 years behind those schools as far tradition or mistakes goes?

I knew that Regina's Pizzeria was the oldest pizzeria in the nation. They still have the original brick oven too.
And the Boise State community college and trucking school became a university in 1974. Not sure of the relevance but can't miss any opportunity to put them down.

And the Boise State community college and trucking school became a university in 1974. Not sure of the relevance but can't miss any opportunity to put them down.
They focused on football and UNLV focused on basketball. If you study how UNLV ****ed itself up. Maxson basically took down the UNLV modern Men basketball program.

I still think it was a mistake for Coach Tark to accept Maxson's term and retires from UNLV jut to play another season.

Whoever gets the 12th spot in next years playoff will have to play on the road against a Top 5 team. It's going to be next to impossible to win. I am not really a fan of the way things are setup. But if we get there I will be happy

I would be shocked if UNLV doesn't averaged over 30K per game next year. The team is going to come out smashing everyone next year. Maiava is going to improved and so is Ricky White (I wouldn't be surprised if White go to the NFL next year). He is good enough. the NFL development staff and and players developments will help White if he chose that way.
IMO it will depend on wins. If we're doing well then the 30's is reasonable. If we're a dud, not so much.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Whoever gets the 12th spot in next years playoff will have to play on the road against a Top 5 team. It's going to be next to impossible to win. I am not really a fan of the way things are setup. But if we get there I will be happy

It's definitely not ideal but I actually like it better than what the current set up is to be honest.

Think SDSU a few years ago getting into the top ten (or just outside) They still got boxed out of the playoffs

This system at least they would get a seat at the table.

It's why I think a top end G5 job might be more attractive than a middling P4 program. (Money aside(

Take Indiana for example.

You're probably going to have to play a BIG 10 schedule and beat at least two of these three to get a shot. Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State.

Vs

Let's say a Boise State. Get a P4 scalp in OOC or play a P4 school to within a score and then run the table in the MWC. I think that's an easier path to be honest.

But you're right it's not set up great for G5 schools but at least there's the carrot to chase.

The biggest change at UNLV financially may have been moving into the new stadium. UNLV jumped from losing over a million a year in football to a profit of several million prior to the 2023 season. Ticket sales this year took a significant jump again, and if things go as well next year, UNLV could be flirting with 30K per game compared to under 20K in the old stadium. My expectation is if UNLV continues to improve, ticket sales will increase, TV viewership will increase, and finances will continue to improve.
That's a given. The city supports winners. This season's success will need to be repeated for the next 3-4 years (& hopefully beyond) to start seeing a significant increase in attendance. I say we avg 25k next year

You know I just don't really give a shit about the playoff. In the olden days, you played 11 exciting and fun games, hopefully winning most, And your goal was a bowl game, hopefully a good one. These days, everyone is 100% fixated on the playoffs. It's all about hoping to be the champion.

In the Pac vs Big ten Rose bowls, the pageantry and all that was fantastic. I went to the '97 (Jan 1 98) Rose Bowl when we made it for the first time in 67 years, against Michigan. Unreal atmosphere.

Funny story. We (me, then-wife and her sister and bro in law). We had those pom pom things. So clumsy wife spills her spiked pop below our seats. Not realizing it soaked my pom pom. Next big play, I grab it and start waving, soaking the poor guy behind me in pop, I felt so bad.

Another reason I want to see the reverse merger. Fun games out West where we belong, F the playoffs. Try to get a decent TV deal, with goal one to be a deal where we can watch our teams without having to do all this streaming and buying some random extra channel deal.

And when/if my Cougs show up down there your attendance will be great. Guarantee it.

I think the Pac-14 will be good for the whole league.

Win or lose, Cougs booze. (Klay Thompson quote)

That's a given. The city supports winners. This season's success will need to be repeated for the next 3-4 years (& hopefully beyond) to start seeing a significant increase in attendance. I say we avg 25k next year
If UNLV only averages 25 thousand, that would be a huge failure. UNLV averaged just under 24K without including the MWC championship game with a weak home schedule, so we would be looking at a 4% increase with a much better home schedule.

If UNLV only averages 25 thousand, that would be a huge failure. UNLV averaged just under 24K without including the MWC championship game with a weak home schedule, so we would be looking at a 4% increase with a much better home sc
You know how fickle this town is; win or else. Another couple of years like this year and we'll hit 30k easy.

I think for that to happen next year they would have needed a big name school to come in to help inflate those numbers with a 40-45k game to help off set some games with 20k which they dont. Home non conference schedule next year not exciting Dixie and Army.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT