ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the Pac 12

Bottom line, it’d be a positive step to add both to the MWC (or PAC-whatever it’s called).

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The PAC with OSU and Wassu plus a bunch of MWC schools doesn’t move the needle in any sense of the word so is their talk of adding schools from somewhere outside the MWC? If there is I haven’t heard anything.
I believe the original idea was they would take a few of the better AAC schools (i.e. Memphis, Tulane, UTSA) and leave a few of the MW dregs out. I haven’t heard anything like that recently though. I think it’s likely just a full merger with the MW now. And yeah, that does not move the needle at all.

I believe the original idea was they would take a few of the better AAC schools (i.e. Memphis, Tulane, UTSA) and leave a few of the MW dregs out. I haven’t heard anything like that recently though. I think it’s likely just a full merger with the MW now. And yeah, that does not move the needle at all.
That’s what I was thinking would be the only thing that makes any sense try to form the strongest left over league you can, still a huge step down for OSU and Wassu better than talking all the schools from one conference try and get the best options from each G5 league.

It would be wise for the Pac2 to take the best of the MWC. The "Break Away Eight" would agree with that. Leave reno, unm, sjsu, and utah state, and Hawaii to some other conference.

OSU and WSU will say fck Boise and their special deal. If Boise doesn't like it then they are welcome to find their own home. If anyone thinks they are that special then they haven't been following MWC football the last several years.

It would be wise for the Pac2 to take the best of the MWC. The "Break Away Eight" would agree with that. Leave reno, unm, sjsu, and utah state, and Hawaii to some other conference.

OSU and WSU will say fck Boise and their special deal. If Boise doesn't like it then they are welcome to find their own home. If anyone thinks they are that special then they haven't been following MWC football the last several years.
Wait I thought sentiment was that it was all or nothing with the Mtn West. And guys, it is WAZZU. That said, I would not be opposed to cherry picking, but is that even possible? Exit fees, etc. on your end? And we have one poster on our board who is fixated on USF, Memphis, Tulane, etc. from the East Coast. To which I am adamantly opposed to. F this coast to coast league concept. I think the traitorous 10 in the Pac will tire of their non-football programs flying clear across the country to play. Cougs and Beavs need to stay out West where we belong.

And BSU's special deal would go out the window in the Pac-XX. I hate the BSU trucking school.

Wait I thought sentiment was that it was all or nothing with the Mtn West. And guys, it is WAZZU. That said, I would not be opposed to cherry picking, but is that even possible? Exit fees, etc. on your end? And we have one poster on our board who is fixated on USF, Memphis, Tulane, etc. from the East Coast. To which I am adamantly opposed to. F this coast to coast league concept. I think the traitorous 10 in the Pac will tire of their non-football programs flying clear across the country to play. Cougs and Beavs need to stay out West where we belong.

And BSU's special deal would go out the window in the Pac-XX. I hate the BSU trucking school.

A lot of things to consider.

Do you bring in Hawaii as a football only school? No way anybody wants that travel with Olympic sports.

I agree, expansion East would be a drain on everything besides football and basketball.

Problem if you want to expand there aren't a lot of options out West that would help raise conference profile.

New Mexico State makes some sense. Pair with New Mexico. Grant it's a small market but you'd have the two biggest schools in the state locked up. I've been pretty down on the future of UNM football, but they did just make a solid hire in Bronco Mendenhall.

SMU is an interesting case. Just left for ACC but the deal they made was pretty awful to get in the way I understand it.

Regardless how it falls out, it should be a decent football conference

Try and poach UTSA? Rice? Utep to get into Texas market? I don't know know.

Don't disagree but I could see some merit for keeping some of those schools.

I think you keep USU. They are a small fish but for TV purposes you'd like to stay in the Utah market I would think.

I think I'd keep SJSU. I know they aren't a huge draw but they've been solid for a few years in football.

Not opposed to saying bye bye to Reno. But I think financially for UNLV it possibly makes more sense for that to remain a conference game. It keeps an OOC game open.

UNM you keep but only if you are looking expand/add NMSU. Otherwise probably not.

Going to be some tough designs made over the next year for sure.

It seems like everything is based off the current MW contract ending in 2 years.
The exit fees could be non existent if they want to move quickly. Not sure if the same 17 mil fee will exist 2 years from now, but if they pick schools now there will be no fee in 2 years or at least a much smaller one.
The current MW commissioner has to say what she is saying, and it is true if it will be a merger. But if the PAC wants to create a new PAC, then they can do whatever they want.
Creating a new PAC makes the most sense when it comes to maximizing TV revenue. There are many schools that hurt the bottom line vs helping. They really only need 6 more schools to create a new conference. They can go for the top 6 MW markets or even fewer and try to add UTSA Tulane etc.
Creating a new PAC is definitely messier. But ultimately more profitable IMO. So far money seems to be the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd reasons all of the realignment has happened so there is that.

This will be interesting how it all pans out.

If I’m the PAC I’m just adding the top MW football programs. Fresno, San Diego St, Boise, Col. St UNLV and Air Force.

If they decide to merge in some way. Hawaii is the only obvious program to get rid of. Wyoming has a good football program. Utah st is small market but always competes. San Jose has a great market and good in football & Olympic sports. Reno basketball program is up and coming with the new arena. New Mexico has great bball program.

The only obvious potential add I could see is UTSA. But they may view PAC/MW as a laterally move. Depending upon how it all shakes out.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
This will be interesting how it all pans out.

If I’m the PAC I’m just adding the top MW football programs. Fresno, San Diego St, Boise, Col. St UNLV and Air Force.

If they decide to merge in some way. Hawaii is the only obvious program to get rid of. Wyoming has a good football program. Utah st is small market but always competes. San Jose has a great market and good in football & Olympic sports. Reno basketball program is up and coming with the new arena. New Mexico has great bball program.

The only obvious potential add I could see is UTSA. But they may view PAC/MW as a laterally move. Depending upon how it all shakes out.

Really kind of depends on how big they want the. conference to be. It really will be interesting. Have to imagine there are current MWC teams extremely nervous. I wouldn't be surprised if WSU/OSU have kicked the tires at looking outside MWC as well.

12 TEAM conference. MWC teams only.

WSU
OREGON STATE
FRESNO STATE
BOISE STATE
SDSU
SJSU
CSU
WYO
AFA
UNLV
USU
RENO

That's not a bad looking conference at all. SDSU was way down this year but have to think they can get that corrected some. Boise even in a down year is still a pretty damn good G5 school.

Last edited:
Rice could be an interesting add as well.

Great academics and market in Houston.

Have a massive endowment and big alumni base, so can compete in a NIL world.

Not exciting, but they have that Baylor potential.

Also would be doing everything to get Gonzaga in to help with basketball.

Really kind of depends on how big they want the. conference to be. It really will be interesting. Have to imagine there are current MWC teams extremely nervous. I wouldn't be surprised if WASU/OSU have kicked the tires at looking outside MWC as well.

12 TEAM conference. MWC teams only.

WASU
OREGON STATE
FRESNO STATE
BOISE STATE
SDSU
SJSU
CSU
WYO
AFA
UNLV
USU
RENO

That's not a bad looking conference at all. SDSU was way down this year but have to think they can get that corrected some. Boise even in a down year is still a pretty damn good G5 school.
Who is WASU?

Damn guys get our name right. Once again, it is either WSU or Wazzu.

Not Wasu, not Wazzo, not Wassu.

I read an article on what we call Brand X, which explores our history with pretty much your entire league . Hawaii actually leads the series with WSU 3-2. USU, 2-2. SJSU 8-4-1 Cougs. Mtn West has help it's own.

It's a no-no to link articles from Brand X or Brand Y on our site, but I guess I can get away with it over here once. Anyway, a good read.

• Haha
The fact that the ACC is about to implode like the Pac12, they will feed the BIG12 and SEC before the rest. The ONLY logical move is a MWC & PAC 2 merger. My whole concern is who is left managing us. The Conference that destroyed the great PAC12 or the MWC admin that we've been questioning for years.

Well, the reality is that the scheduling alliance may come back to bite us all in the ass. I wouldn't be surprised to see the MWC renegotiate the media rights contract for one year that include Wazzu and OSU which drives our payout to as much as the $10 million dollar range. Now we would be looking at an exit fee of $30 million with one year notice. Less notice is would be $60 million. That will pretty much end any talk of WSU and OSU poaching the best MWC schools.

It's looking more like 9 Presidents vote to either end the conference or ask OSU and WSU for a reverse merger. The other possibilities are OSU and WSU join the MWC and end the Pac12 or seek teams elsewhere and we are out of the picture. Out of those options a full reverse merger may ultimately be the only option.

Personally, I would be more in favor of a conference that did not have USU, reno, Hawaii, and SJSU. But, my opinion isn't worth much based on what I've written above.

Last edited:
Who is WASU?

I read an article on what we call Brand X, which explores our history with pretty much your entire league . Hawaii actually leads the series with WSU 3-2. USU, 2-2. SJSU 8-4-1 Cougs. Mtn West has help it's own.

It's a no-no to link articles from Brand X or Brand Y on our site, but I guess I can get away with it over here once. Anyway, a good read.

DOHH..

My bad. There was a large amount of beer consumption last night..

A little foggy this morning.

WSU...

Good thing there's an edit feature..

Who is WASU?

FIXED!

What do you think makes the most sense?

12?

14?

16?

I can see some merit to going to 16 but that would possibly water it down. Adding just to add doesn't make sense.

I think TV markets are obviously in play.

Weird example I think in a 12 team scenario UNM is possibly out.

You go to 16, it might make sense to add NMSU and keep UNM. New Mexico is not a big market but you'd have the state/market wrapped.

School like USU makes sense to keep. Geographically and having a team in a Utah market. It's also a state that is recruited pretty heavily in conference.

Hawaii...It'sa travel nightmare (cost) and would be football only.

Try and get into Texas market with UTSA possibly Rice or UTEP?

I don't know...A lot of ways this could go.

Reactions: 220reb
I'd like to say that's what happened to save face.

It wasn't.

It was the after affects of Stella Artois.
47ae94a7a57e6c054e8f9856dfcc4f5a.jpg

I would
What do you think makes the most sense?

12?

14?

16?

I can see some merit to going to 16 but that would possibly water it down. Adding just to add doesn't make sense.

I think TV markets are obviously in play.

Weird example I think in a 12 team scenario UNM is possibly out.

You go to 16, it might make sense to add NMSU and keep UNM. New Mexico is not a big market but you'd have the state/market wrapped.

School like USU makes sense to keep. Geographically and having a team in a Utah market. It's also a state that is recruited pretty heavily in conference.

Hawaii...It'sa travel nightmare (cost) and would be football only.

Try and get into Texas market with UTSA possibly Rice or UTEP?

I don't know...A lot of ways this could go.
I would say PAC 8. Remaining MW add Utep and NM St. Have a schedule partnership between the conference. Best football and basketball from each conference play each other, so levels up both conferences.

Rice could be an interesting add as well.

Great academics and market in Houston.

Have a massive endowment and big alumni base, so can compete in a NIL world.

Not exciting, but they have that Baylor potential.

Also would be doing everything to get Gonzaga in to help with basketball.
Rice is located in Houston but they hardly get anybody at the games. It literally looks like a couple hundred. They don't have Baylor potential because they're not willing to cheat their balls off like Baylor did.

Reactions: 220reb and dcut03
Rice is located in Houston but they hardly get anybody at the games. It literally looks like a couple hundred. They don't have Baylor potential because they're not willing to cheat their balls off like Baylor did.
Rice averaged over 20k this year and went to a bowl game. They averaged more fans than half the MW teams. Located in Texas would be good for recruiting. I get it though not sexy. And agree probably won’t sell their soul like Baylor did. Just thought if you want a travel partner with UTSA and big market area. I’m not excited about the bottom half of the MW. What would maximize the new TV deal for the PAC. Doesn’t sound like they want a full MW merger and why would they.

Rice averaged over 20k this year and went to a bowl game. They averaged more fans than half the MW teams. Located in Texas would be good for recruiting. I get it though not sexy. And agree probably won’t sell their soul like Baylor did. Just thought if you want a travel partner with UTSA and big market area. I’m not excited about the bottom half of the MW. What would maximize the new TV deal for the PAC. Doesn’t sound like they want a full MW merger and why would they.

Agree

It's almost a both or neither scenario.

I can see dropping UNM.

But.

In the event you were looking at going 14 teams it might make some sense keeping them if you also added NMSU.

Again both or neither.

Or if UTSA is off the table, but your desperate to get into Texas market, Rice and UTEP maybe?

Not advocating for any of that, just throwing out scenarios.

Rice has an $8 billion endowment and top 20 academically.

To give a comparison they have more money than USC.

No other team in the potential new PAC//MW even has more than $1 billion.

If they committed to be competitive in sports they have the means to do it.

Baylor and SMU have $2 Billion

Agree

It's almost a both or neither scenario.

I can see dropping UNM.

But.

In the event you were looking at going 14 teams it might make some sense keeping them if you also added NMSU.

Again both or neither.

Or if UTSA is off the table, but your desperate to get into Texas market, Rice and UTEP maybe?

Not advocating for any of that, just throwing out scenarios.
I would say utep and Tulane. Close enough to be a travel partner

UTEP and Tulane? That’s, literally, like saying UNLV and UTSA as travel partners

Tulane makes sense for new PAC. Good football program recently, market place and academics.

Utep may get into the new MW, if the top breaks away from bottom.

Could also see a new MW with potentially Montana, Montana st. South Dakota st and North Dakota st.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT