ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

I was hoping and wanted to believe he had changed and was rooting for him to do great things at UNLV. Now, not so much. Hope him and Jimbos egos clash and fail miserably together.
Any idea if this caught the staff by surprise, or if this was one of those "agree now, but if T A&M offers, I'll have to jump" sort of things? Either way, any insight into a timeframe when we'll get an OC on board? We need to be hitting the portal, so missing a big piece like OC may affect us.

Any idea if this caught the staff by surprise, or if this was one of those "agree now, but if T A&M offers, I'll have to jump" sort of things? Either way, any insight into a timeframe when we'll get an OC on board? We need to be hitting the portal, so missing a big piece like OC may affect us.
I think it will move quick. Portal window for visits opened today so this wasn’t timely.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Petrino wasn’t then only person who interviewed for the OC job. I’m kind of pissed because it was an amazing hire, but Petrino was going to bite us at some point. I just didn’t think it would be this soon. Oh well.

He probably tripled his salary.

Can't really blame the dude..
My problem isnt the money. Dude came in and got locker room buy in from players, had recruits and portal guys lined up and poof, gone. And then you leave Odom sitting there having to now go find another coach and figure out who hes still got in the locker room... Its a really F'd up thing to do to a coaching buddy.

My problem isnt the money. Dude came in and got locker room buy in from players, had recruits and portal guys lined up and poof, gone. And then you leave Odom sitting there having to now go find another coach and figure out who hes still got in the locker room... Its a really F'd up thing to do to a coaching buddy.
Is this accurate regarding locker room buy in, as well as having portal guys lined up? Or just speculation?

Is this accurate regarding locker room buy in, as well as having portal guys lined up? Or just speculation?
Speculation mostly, but considering we just had signing day and that Broda kid sign, and itd be coaching mismanagement if they werent trying to attract for players in the portal, and as for locker room, well QB1 sure was excited by the new hires... We also had that Arkansas QB in his top 3, assume hes out...lots of moving parts that you hoped you had settled and now you will have to reidentify targets or offers based on new OC system

Probably caught everyone by surprise. No way any program hires him if he wants "but I'm waiting for this job" clause

Speculation mostly, but considering we just had signing day and that Broda kid sign, and itd be coaching mismanagement if they werent trying to attract for players in the portal, and as for locker room, well QB1 sure was excited by the new hires... We also had that Arkansas QB in his top 3, assume hes out...lots of moving parts that you hoped you had settled and now you will have to reidentify targets or offers based on new OC system
Yeah, I hear you. Based on @AA Insider comments, he's saying Petrino isn't much of a recruiter though, so maybe that wasn't his area of focus, but more on the player development and running the offense. Seems like you'd want to be in on both, and I'm just going off of his comments (AA). I guess we'll find out soon, but hopefully Coach Odom has some other OC's in mind and will be able to get them in soon.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

I don't love it but...

It's no different than me or you being at a job, and getting offered 3x more at another place. I can pretend that loyalty would keep me there. It likely wouldn't.

Isn't there a former OC / HC in the high school ranks in Vegas that put up good offensive stats but complained a little about the facilities at UNLV? I think his name started with an S. Lol
Spill the beans my memory sucks.

UNLV: Miles Fishback, who spent last season as the special teams coordinator / running backs coach at Morehead State, has accepted the lead offensive analyst position and will work with the receivers, per source.
Annnnd he's gone.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Damn this is pretty wild.

Texas A&M just seeing what UNLV offers and then just outbids us..

All is fair in love and war.
You can do that with a new T.V. contract with ESPN and an attendance of 97,000 per game. Haven't done the math but I'd be surprised if they don't make more from football in one year than we do in 15 years.

On a positive note about that staff that remained with us, there's a lot of activity on Twitter showing the coaches at the local high schools. This is a very SOLID look by the staff prioritizing Las Vegas.

Hopefully they spent 95% of the day at Gorman and Liberty (and whoever else is good) and then sped through the parking lots of the other schools. **Sarcasm font... sorta**

On a positive note about that staff that remained with us, there's a lot of activity on Twitter showing the coaches at the local high schools. This is a very SOLID look by the staff prioritizing Las Vegas.

Hopefully they spent 95% of the day at Gorman and Liberty (and whoever else is good) and then sped through the parking lots of the other schools. **Sarcasm font... sorta**
Pulls into parking lot, "This is Valley High School." Pulls out of parking lot

Hey, big 'ol #0 on national Champs Georgia attended Desert Pines so there is SOME talent in other parts of the valley.

Gorman
Liberty
Arbor View
Desert Pines
Centennial

...are about it. All the other schools together is like a needle in a haystack.

Hey, big 'ol #0 on national Champs Georgia attended Desert Pines so there is SOME talent in other parts of the valley.

Gorman
Liberty
Arbor View
Desert Pines
Centennial

...are about it. All the other schools together is like a needle in a haystack.
2022 a total of 28 3* or above for 247 Sports (a bunch from Northern Nevada).
Silverado 3* Jayden Thrower
Faith Lutheran 3* Jordan Pollard
Coronado 3* Noah McKinney
Coronado 3* Ike Nnakenyi
Canyon Springs 3* Ryan Henderson

With the exception of Liberty and Gorman who are normally loaded, there are also a dozen different local schools that put out quality players a lot more often than looking for a needle in a haystack. There are enough quality players in Nevada that we could easily get over half the players locally if they made it a priority!

What is sad is that UCLA, USC, SDSU, CSU, Fresno State, unr, Michigan State, Arizona, North Texas, Air Force and BYU all do a better job of recruiting 3* or above players out of the state of Nevada than UNLV. It is obvious that these schools believe the state of Nevada has quality players to recruit!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT