ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

Expect Michael Scherer to be the DC. Played under Odom at mizzou and came on here at arkansas as analyst in 2020 and elevated to LB coach the past 2 years. 29 years old and very good recruiter. Didn’t want to lose him here.
I know both Odom and Scherer were LBs, so that makes sense.

I didn't get to watch much Arkansas this year, the Cincinnati game and the Liberty game, but I didn't really get a good feel for how the LBs played as a whole.

What packages did you guys run for most of the year? From what I saw it looked like a lot of nickel with 2 or 3 backers but I don't know if that was a product of the offenses you were facing or not.

Which recruits was Scherer responsible for the last few seasons?

I appreciate any info you can share!

Ken Niumatalolo from Navy just became available. I think he was an Assistant Coach under Robinson.

Expecting James Shibest to join the staff. Former player and coach at Arkansas. Has served as Special Teams coordinator and TE coach for many years at various stops, most recently Virginia Tech. Very sound and fundamental guy.
As far as you're aware, have any additions to the staff been made public yet? I don't remember seeing anything other than from you on this board.

C'mon now, coach can't spill the beans here until contracts are finalized. Can't count your chickens until they have hatched.

Will add that I wouldn’t expect anything official on Scherer until after the Arkansas Bowl game Dec 28. He is expected to call the defense. Keyword expected, like I mentioned, things change very quickly.

Shibest was also a target for the newly opened TE position at Arkansas.

Will add that I wouldn’t expect anything official on Scherer until after the Arkansas Bowl game Dec 28. He is expected to call the defense. Keyword expected, like I mentioned, things change very quickly.

Shibest was also a target for the newly opened TE position at Arkansas.
Understood. I'm just thinking that UNLV is going to want to get some key pieces in place ASAP to help with recruiting and the portal.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Understood. I'm just thinking that UNLV is going to want to get some key pieces in place ASAP to help with recruiting and the portal.
That’s everywhere right now. Something to keep in mind is most assistant coaches have bowl bonuses written in their contracts that they want to collect so a lot of movement will not start happening until bowl games are completed. It really puts a damper on programs going through changes. That’s why I wish the early signing period would go away and the transfer portal wouldn’t open until after bowl games are completed. Bowl games are becoming more and more meaningless with coaching changes, players opting out, transferring out, etc. This is something I could rant on and on about for hours.

That’s everywhere right now. Something to keep in mind is most assistant coaches have bowl bonuses written in their contracts that they want to collect so a lot of movement will not start happening until bowl games are completed. It really puts a damper on programs going through changes. That’s why I wish the early signing period would go away and the transfer portal wouldn’t open until after bowl games are completed. Bowl games are becoming more and more meaningless with coaching changes, players opting out, transferring out, etc. This is something I could rant on and on about for hours.
Yeah, that makes sense with regards to the bowl bonuses. Thanks AA...glad to have you sharing with us.

Expecting James Shibest to join the staff. Former player and coach at Arkansas. Has served as Special Teams coordinator and TE coach for many years at various stops, most recently Virginia Tech. Very sound and fundamental guy.
Coach, will he be able to teach the punt team how not to get a punt blocked? Twice. Within their own 30?

Coach, will he be able to teach the punt team how not to get a punt blocked? Twice. Within their own 30?
For realz, special teams were... special last year.

One of our deeper teams in recent years, though had zero confidence in returning a Kick off, even from the freaking 10 yard line.

Absolutely terrified of kicking to their returners, preferring to squib it so they can start at the 35-40 yard line.

Then the blocks, ugh.

Atrocious, absolutely atrocious. Even for us!

I just hope there is a lot going on behind the curtain in regards to recruiting and staff.
Apparently CA had shortcomings. Local recruiting? I think Odom will do considerably better with overall recruiting. I WOULD be shocked if we do not have our best recruiting classes ever over the next few years. Top 60 at the minimum. I am including transfers. Any competent coach should kill it here. In MWC terms.

Apparently CA had shortcomings. Local recruiting? I think Odom will do considerably better with overall recruiting. I WOULD be shocked if we do not have our best recruiting classes ever over the next few years. Top 60 at the minimum. I am including transfers. Any competent coach should kill it here. In MWC terms.

For all his faults (and there were a number).Arroyo did bringbin UNLVs two highest rated classes ever. I think one was in the 60s.

If Odom can even match that and is better at pre game preparation and in game management, we should see the Rebs go bowling.

For all his faults (and there were a number).Arroyo did bringbin UNLVs two highest rated classes ever. I think one was in the 60s.

If Odom can even match that and is better at pre game preparation and in game management, we should see the Rebs go bowling.
Yeah, agreed. Other than overcoming our history, there's no reason that UNLV shouldn't be in contention for winning the league on a yearly basis. That certainly doesn't mean that we will or should win it, but that we have the ability to win in each year. We have a great location, great facilities, and it appears, finally, that the administration is making football a priority. Hopefully Coach Odom can hit the portal hard and make some positive strides, even in his first year.

Wow just saw the article.
He has been the head coach at Missouri St (FCS) the last few years and actually came into Fayetteville this year and jumped out to a 17-0 first half lead on us. Though there were emotions involved about his return here he still proved he can call a great game. His first few series are always planned out and 95% it works to perfection. He was ready to return to the FBS level as he was interviewed for the Texas A&M OC position but him working with Jimbo doesn’t make near the sense as it does working with BO. Time to get excited guys. Time to start working the portal and filling up the early signing period class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT