ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting QB in portal

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm not saying that UNLV is looking at this guy, because I have no idea. Malik Hornsby is a former top 100 prospect who was at Arkansas for 3 years, prior to transferring to Texas State. He ended up being the backup at TX St behind TJ Finley (LSU, Auburn transfer). Finley threw for over 3,400 yards, and had 24 TDs to 8 INT's, so pretty good stat line for him this past year.

I have no idea how good Hornsby is, as he's barely recorded any stats, but if nothing else, this could be a good depth piece if they have a relationship with him from the Arkansas days.

High School
Four-star prospect coming out of high school, according to 247 Sports and ESPN … Rated as the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the country and 14th overall player in the state of Texas by 247 … Two-year letterwinner at Fort Bend Marshall in Missouri City, Texas … Led the team to back-to-back state championship games in 2018 and 2019 … 25-3 as a starting quarterback in high school … Totaled more than 5,000 yards of total offense in 2 years and scored 82 touchdowns against 4 interceptions (2 in each season) … 115-of-201 for 2,279 yards as a senior in 2019 … 1,587 rushing yards on 130 carries in 2019 as well as 46 total touchdowns (29 passing, 17 rushing) … Helped lead Fort Bend Marshall to the 5A state championship game in 2019, where the team narrowly lost by three points … Played in the 2020 U.S. Army All-American Bowl … As a junior, he passed for 1,969 yards and ran for 772 … Scored 36 touchdowns in 2018, which included 23 passing and 13 rushing … 75-of-128 with 1,969 passing yards and 23 touchdowns as junior … 81 carries for 772 yards and 13 touchdowns also that season … Chose Arkansas out of high school after also fielding offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Mississippi State, Oregon, Tennessee, Baylor, Texas A&M, Purdue and others.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
This is someone that is on the radar.

Guy like this the keys will be...

When the defense gives him favorable looks can he complete the 'easy' pass. (Vs 8 or 9 in the box)

If the run game gets going, can he take advantage of play action and hit some chunk plays.

If he can great.

If not. Armani 2.0.

I don't have any issues with athletic QBs who rely on their legs as much as their arm.

I do however hate QBs that are so inefficient passing that 3rd and 5+ yards becomes a death sentence and drive killer..

When the defense gives him favorable looks can he complete the 'easy' pass. (Vs 8 or 9 in the box)

If the run game gets going, can he take advantage of play action and hit some chunk plays.

If he can great.

If not. Armani 2.0.

I don't have any issues with athletic QBs who rely on their legs as much as their arm.

I do however hate QBs that are so inefficient passing that 3rd and 5+ yards becomes a death sentence and drive killer..

Marion is adding speed and more athleticism so the windows for a QB will not be as tight. Too often, teams were in zone and Maiava threw it right into double or triple coverage because he can’t run.

I know people do not believe it but a dual threat QB makes the gogo offense much more harder to defend. The more options an offense has, the more confusion, hesitance it can create for the defense. Any hesitation for a second, that will create gaps for a runner or separation for a receiver.

Additionally, since there’s more emphasis on speed, you will probably see more no huddles and the offense moving quick next season.

If he can great.

If not. Armani 2.0.

Succinct but spot on …

Id rather see Pavia. I dont want a guy who’s been a backup at a lower level and got beat out at both spots. Give me a proven QB even if it’s not flashy. If it’s a depth add then sure.
We’re probably bringing in 3 QBs and let them duke it out. Obviously a dual threat QB brings more injury risks. So you’ll need depth.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
We’re probably bringing in 3 QBs and let them duke it out. Obviously a dual threat QB brings more injury risks. So you’ll need depth.
Yes, but one is going to be brought in specifically as the clubhouse leader to start, and the others will be "may challenge"... That has to be the case. We do need the depth, but we need someone that is going to be the "top guy" instantly instead of running through spring camp and summer camp right up to week 1...

If he is not a good passer then Hornsby is a depth QB. We need a starter!

Pavia looks like a good prospect, I’m not sure about JDL but maybe someone else can speak to JDL’s prowess?

Just no more Armani or Brumfield types under center, these types make us too easy to defend and against the Kansas’ of the world we will not hold up!

Last edited:
He has been told that his future is at another Position but he refuses to accept it. He was moved to WR at Arkansas then moved back to QB. When he got to Texas State he could not beat out another portal SEC QB. He did however score 6 rushing TD"s.

Marion is adding speed and more athleticism so the windows for a QB will not be as tight. Too often, teams were in zone and Maiava threw it right into double or triple coverage because he can’t run.

I know people do not believe it but a dual threat QB makes the gogo offense much more harder to defend. The more options an offense has, the more confusion, hesitance it can create for the defense. Any hesitation for a second, that will create gaps for a runner or separation for a receiver.

Additionally, since there’s more emphasis on speed, you will probably see more no huddles and the offense moving quick next season.
I do believe you and the play of QB's at both Howard and William & Mary when Marion was the Off Coordinator support the statement on the dual threat QB and the GoGo. At both under schools Marion the QB was the no. 1 or 2 ball carrier in the GoGo offense. After all. the GoGo is a variation of triple option offense.

If we get Hornsby as our QB, we will not win a lot of games next season. Elite athlete and thats all he is. Not fit to be a QB at a high level here. We need someone who will look for Ricky and be able to make throws to him consistently.
Agree. The QB has to do both. One really well- throwing, one just enough to keep defense on toes on 3rd and 5 or short...

I think with Paiva and JDL you have a QB that can nail the short 5-15 yard passes 6/10 times quickly while being able to keep defenses honest while running.

For this specific offense I would rather have a guy that is consistent in the short yard passing game than a 6’5 240 (or however big Nick Sherry was) “pro” qb that can nail the 60 yarder 4/10 times, but is a stone giant in the pocket.

If Armani Rogers could made that short pass consistently, he would have been the best QB in the conference. Sometimes you just need to keep the drive alive. I don’t expect a hero highlight play every series. I just want to be able to march down the field and bleed the clock/ enemy defense.

What I saw from Pavia at the end of the season, he can do a little of both and his legs definitely fit the bill of “keeping the chains moving“ in my opinion. We need that guy that can make teams pay with his legs on 3rd and 7 every now and then. Pavia has that and can pass well enough to keep our WR’s engaged and productive!

Definitely puts more stress on the defense having a QB that can run.

In theory, it definitely should open up passing lanes.

All comes down to if the QB can take advantage of them.

Armani couldn't. And that partly lead to Sanchez' demise.

I'm not saying that UNLV is looking at this guy, because I have no idea. Malik Hornsby is a former top 100 prospect who was at Arkansas for 3 years, prior to transferring to Texas State. He ended up being the backup at TX St behind TJ Finley (LSU, Auburn transfer). Finley threw for over 3,400 yards, and had 24 TDs to 8 INT's, so pretty good stat line for him this past year.

I have no idea how good Hornsby is, as he's barely recorded any stats, but if nothing else, this could be a good depth piece if they have a relationship with him from the Arkansas days.

He’s just an athlete. No no and no.
I think with Paiva and JDL you have a QB that can nail the short 5-15 yard passes 6/10 times quickly while being able to keep defenses honest while running.

For this specific offense I would rather have a guy that is consistent in the short yard passing game than a 6’5 240 (or however big Nick Sherry was) “pro” qb that can nail the 60 yarder 4/10 times, but is a stone giant in the pocket.

If Armani Rogers could made that short pass consistently, he would have been the best QB in the conference. Sometimes you just need to keep the drive alive. I don’t expect a hero highlight play every series. I just want to be able to march down the field and bleed the clock/ enemy defense.

Dude he sucks. I saw him play 2 years ago at Arkansas. It went into like 5 overtime’s in 2021. I watched him on YouTube. Easy pass.

Can’t throw the ball worth a shit. Arkansas lost.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Definitely puts more stress on the defense having a QB that can run.

In theory, it definitely should open up passing lanes.

All comes down to if the QB can take advantage of them.

Armani couldn't. And that partly lead to Sanchez' demise.
It FULLY led to Sanchez’s demise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT