ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

It should be announced any time now. It’s a done deal

I think it's a good fit.

We've seen Rocky Long do this for years in the MWC mentoring former players and bringing them up as DCs.

Notably Zach Arnett and Danny Gonzales. Arnett now the HC at Missippi State and Danny Gonzales who got the DC job at ASU and then the HC job at New Mexico. (Feel for Gonzales, the UNM job might be one of the toughest in the country. His defenses play hard but they have nothing on offense at all.)

I like the idea of Odom bringing on Scherer despite lack of DC experience. Odom has plenty. Will have his hands all over the defense. So The lack of DC experience doesn't bother me at all..

Back on the topic of Long, I think he and Odom both prefer to run odd man fronts and play 3 high safety. ( 3-3-5). I like it in today's football with so many spread offenses. Get as many athletes on the field as possible. I'm not sure schematically how similiar they are, but Long's defenses have been an absolute nightmare for QBs in the MWC for years. Was really great at making QBs not trust what their eyes see pre snap with so many different looks. Disguised blitzes well, brought pressure from all different spots. And despite being a seemingly 'light' defense by playing only 3 DL and a SF vs a LB, Long's defenses have been good vs the run by just swarming to the ball.

It does help to have a Casey Hampton (former Steeler) type NT that can occupy multiple OL guys. Not sure we have that guy on the roster right now.

Last edited:
I think it's a good fit.

We've seen Rocky Long do this for years in the MWC mentoring former players and bringing them up as DCs.

Notably Zach Arnett and Danny Gonzales. Arnett now the HC at Missippi State and Danny Gonzales who got the DC job at ASU and then the HC job at New Mexico. (Feel for Gonzales, the UNM job might be one of the toughest in the country. His defenses play hard but they have nothing on offense at all.)

I like the idea of Odom bringing on Scherer despite lack of DC experience. Odom has plenty. Will have his hands all over the defense. So The lack of DC experience doesn't bother me at all..

Back on the topic of Long, I think he and Odom both prefer to run odd man fronts and play 3 high safety. ( 3-3-5). I like it in today's football with so many spread offenses. Get as many athletes on the field as possible. I'm not sure schematically how similiar they are, but Long's defenses have been an absolute nightmare for QBs in the MWC for years. Was really great at making QBs not trust what their eyes see pre snap with so many different looks. Disguised blitzes well, brought pressure from all different spots. And despite being a seemingly 'light' defense by playing only 3 DL and a SF vs a LB, Long's defenses have been good vs the run by just swarming to the ball.

It does help to have a Casey Hampton (former Steeler) type NT that can occupy multiple OL guys. Not sure we have that guy on the roster right now.
Like big Howie Fuimaono back in the day!

I think it's a good fit.

We saw firsthand how impactful TCU’s defense was (under the coach at Texas whose name I can’t remember right now) by getting speed on the field. Do the Rocky Long/Odom defenses employ that same philosophy? Or is it too early to know about Odom until we see it in action?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I think it's a good fit.

I don't care what defense we run but can we please stop Air Force.

Like big Howie Fuimaono back in the day!

Yeah something like that..

It's a tough thankless job. Hampton made a couple Pro Bowls with pretty low tackle numbers and maybe 2 or 3 sacks, but players around the league realized how important/dominance he was for that defense. His ability to handle double teams and keep OL guys from getting to the 2nd level freed up LBs to make plays. Not a lot of guys built to do it..

We saw firsthand how impactful TCU’s defense was (under the coach at Texas whose name I can’t remember right now) by getting speed on the field. Do the Rocky Long/Odom defenses employ that same philosophy? Or is it too early to know about Odom until we see it in action?

I know Odom said in interview he likes the odd front and 3 high safety look. Long did the same formation, but his 3rd safety was always a rover/hybrid guy. Could play in the box but was athletic enough to play in space/coverage.

A guy that plaid here recently Javon White would have fit that role well.

I'm not sure if Odom approaches his defense the same way. Sorta like Dick Lebuea ran a 3-4 zone blitz scheme where other 3-4 defenses employed more man to man. Same alignment different approaches.

I think it's a good fit.

Odom has a history of hiring guys without a ton of experience who went on to bigger things. For a guy with 4 years at Mizzou, his coaching tree isn't bad.

Josh Heupel - Had 1 year as full OC at Utah State (did have a few years of co-Offensive coordiantor but he wasn't the play caller at Oklahoma). 2 years with Odom and got the UCF head job which he turned into a Tennessee Head Job.

Ryan Walters - 2 years as DC with Odom with no Coordinating experience before, stayed on for 2 years after Odom was let go at Mizzou, did a lateral move to Illinois and is now the HC at Purdue.

In general, it seems like he puts together pretty solid staffs. And this staff even without Scherer is probably the deepest and most complete at UNLV.

Buddy if it were only that simple. The only defenses that typically are able to contain that offense consistently are the other academies because they practice against it every day.

I'd be happy just slowing it down.
I think you can stop parts of it. First and foremost you have to take away the fullback dive, especially on first down. If you can force the triple option into 2nd and long you force them to have to open up their playbook more and attack the edges, where you should have a speed advantage.
But all that is super easy to say, defending the triple option requires great discipline and gap control from your front 7. And while AFA will. always be at a size and athletic disadvantage in the trenches, they have amazing unit cohesion and stupendous cardio. If you let them run tempo where they start to string together 12 plays in a row with 4 ypc, they're super content to wear you down and then start to attack the edges.

The last few years we couldn't stop the FB dive. They'd get 4-6 yards every time through the A gap. You're going to have a long, long day if that's the case.

I think you can stop parts of it. First and foremost you have to take away the fullback dive, especially on first down. If you can force the triple option into 2nd and long you force them to have to open up their playbook more and attack the edges, where you should have a speed advantage.
But all that is super easy to say, defending the triple option requires great discipline and gap control from your front 7. And while AFA will. always be at a size and athletic disadvantage in the trenches, they have amazing unit cohesion and stupendous cardio. If you let them run tempo where they start to string together 12 plays in a row with 4 ypc, they're super content to wear you down and then start to attack the edges.

The last few years we couldn't stop the FB dive. They'd get 4-6 yards every time through the A gap. You're going to have a long, long day if that's the case.
Truth!

Thing is though it's not triple option based anymore. Sure there are elements of it. But it's a lot more QB designed runs vs the old wishbone.

You're right stopping the dive is paramount. But it's still not easy considering a lot of dive is with the QB now, meaning there's an extra blocker.

It's also a bitch to prepare for. Coaches are pretty reluctant to run cut blocks on their own guys in practice.

It really comes down to LBs and safeties being correct on their keys and reads and DL guys winning up front.

Using a basketball analogy. I always laugh when people say why can't we beat the zone! If beating a well executed zone defense was easy nobody would run zone defense.

The other team has as much say in the result as you do.

They execute better, they win. You execute better you win. (Provided all else is equal of course)

Reactions: reagan21

You can stop parts of any offense. The issue is that they shorten games because of the length of their possessions.

This has a trickle down impact on the game.

First it tends to wear down defenses. And their defense stays fresh.

This gets compounded if they come off a 10 play 9 minute drive and your team goes three and out.

Also if they put up 7 it puts stress on your offense, because you know you aren't going to see the ball a lot.

4-5 years ago Army went into Norman Oklahoma and damn near beat OU with Kyler Murray at QB. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger disparity in athletes than OU and Army.

That offense despite seeming to be one dimensional is really diverse.

It's like what Princeton use to do against more athletic teams.

'Why can't we stop the back door cut!'

It shortens the game. Puts pressure on you offensively. You can't waste possessions.

Obviously it's not unstoppable, nothing is, but if it were simple to stop, Army, Navy and Air Force wouldn't be top 10ish every year running the ball.

All I know is that other MW teams seem to have less trouble than we do with it.
No question it can get better.
Also doing SOMETHING offensively helps

How does that work contractually? I'm assuming that he was under contract with UNLV. Do assistants have buyout clauses, etc, similar to head coaches? Will TA&M (or Petrino himself) have to pay UNLV for his contract amount?

I am surprised by this. Both Jimbo and Petrino are stubborn offensive minded coaches that want offensive control. That's why I thought he didn't go there initially.
Then agin I'm sure the money would just be ridiculous. Probably more rhan what Odom is making

Reactions: LVRebel2000
How does that work contractually? I'm assuming that he was under contract with UNLV. Do assistants have buyout clauses, etc, similar to head coaches? Will TA&M (or Petrino himself) have to pay UNLV for his contract amount?
I was just thinking the same thing. Surely there is a buyout, right? I mean... sure TAMU would pay it, but that should mean UNLV gets money

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Smells like Petrino used us as a soft reception to returning to D1 ball, got a positive reaction, and then jumped at next call he got... such BS amongst coaches
Petrino had interviewed at A&M days before accepting UNLV offer. It’s going to be alright. Petrino can draw up a great gameplan but he simply does not recruit. BO will hire another good one. Don’t panic

Isn't there a former OC / HC in the high school ranks in Vegas that put up good offensive stats but complained a little about the facilities at UNLV? I think his name started with an S. Lol

Reactions: RebelinWA
I am surprised by this. Both Jimbo and Petrino are stubborn offensive minded coaches that want offensive control. That's why I thought he didn't go there initially.
Then agin I'm sure the money would just be ridiculous. Probably more rhan what Odom is making
Yeah I do not see this working out well. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. They will but heads and I can’t wait

Petrino had interviewed at A&M days before accepting UNLV offer. It’s going to be alright. Petrino can draw up a great gameplan but he simply does not recruit. BO will hire another good one. Don’t panic
Is he looking at Chip Long?

This doesnt make me feel any better. If he was hired knowing that there was a much larger pursed team he was essentially negotiating with than its real bad faith and kind of feels like Coach Odom and his people didn't do his own due diligence to make sure Petrino was locked into being a part of his staff.
Money aside, that's a huge lack of commitment from a pretty key part of the staff, and I get taking a better job offer, but that seems like something you should figure out before he gets hired, not 3 weeks later, especially knowing there were pretty close to making that move right before UNLV hired him.

This doesnt make me feel any better. If he was hired knowing that there was a much larger pursed team he was essentially negotiating with than its real bad faith and kind of feels like Coach Odom and his people didn't do his own due diligence to make sure Petrino was locked into being a part of his staff.
Money aside, that's a huge lack of commitment from a pretty key part of the staff, and I get taking a better job offer, but that seems like something you should figure out before he gets hired, not 3 weeks later, especially knowing there were pretty close to making that move right before UNLV hired him.
Petrino didn’t have an offer at the time. Bobby P doing Bobby P things isn’t surprising. It isn’t the end of the world. UNLV is in great hands.

Petrino didn’t have an offer at the time. Bobby P doing Bobby P things isn’t surprising. It isn’t the end of the world. UNLV is in great hands.
He left the NFL Atlanta Falcons mid season. The guy has no shame.

We are far from the NFL so we can’t be surprised. He was scummy when we hired him and he is scummy now.

He left the NFL Atlanta Falcons mid season. The guy has no shame.

We are far from the NFL so we can’t be surprised. He was scummy when we hired him and he is scummy now.
I was hoping and wanted to believe he had changed and was rooting for him to do great things at UNLV. Now, not so much. Hope him and Jimbos egos clash and fail miserably together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT