ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-2 finally firing Commissioner Kliavkoff

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
Here Gloria. Come here Gloria..........

Heh heh. Just kidding, sort of. I have made no bones about Gloria becoming the new Commissioner of the reverse mergered Pac-12/13/Whatever. Heck, we can keep Colorado Springs as HQ. I was born there. Kind of an odd outpost, but so what.

Thoughts?

Pac-12 officially moving on from commissioner George Kliavkoff​

Jon WilnerFeb. 13, 2024 at 2:12 pm
The Pac-12 has begun the process of separating from commissioner George Kliavkoff, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The move has been anticipated since the Pac-12 collapsed on Aug. 4, when five schools bolted for other leagues after Kliavkoff failed to negotiate a satisfactory media rights contract.

Kliavkoff reports to the Pac-12 board of directors, made up of the presidents of the two remaining schools, Washington State’s Kirk Schulz and Oregon State’s Jayathi Murthy.

Under the terms of a court order, Schulz and Murthy are required to notify the 10 departing schools of any board action.

Few details are available at this point, including whatever severance package might be in line for Kliavkoff, who was hired in the spring of 2021.

Less than three years later, the 12-team conference he inherited is down to two members.

The other 10 will join new leagues this summer.

Kliavkoff’s contract is believed to have at least two years remaining with an expected salary of approximately $3.5 million annually, based on data from the Pac-12’s tax filings for the 2022 fiscal year.

According to a mediated settlement between the two remaining schools and the outbound 10, conference liabilities are considered a shared expense. Kliavkoff’s contract seemingly would fit under that category.

The Pac-12 office released the following statement in response to a request for comment:

“The Pac-12 Conference Board has given the departing 10 schools notice of a proposed leadership transition with an invitation to provide comment. We expect to provide more information following a decision in the coming days.”

That “transition” seemingly will include the appointment of a replacement for Kliavkoff.

Teresa Gould, the Pac-12’s deputy commissioner, is well respected by the schools and considered a likely option — not only as an interim commissioner through the spring but perhaps to manage a scaled-down version of the conference for the 2024-25 school year and beyond.

WSU and OSU plan to operate as a two-team conference in football, under the Pac-12 banner, for the next two seasons; their basketball teams and many Olympic sports will be housed in the West Coast Conference.

By the fall of 2026, the ‘Pac-2’ must expand, or the Pac-12 will no longer be recognized as an official conference.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Take a minute. Right decision nevertheless. Sheesh. The damn conference evaporated.

Here Gloria. Come here Gloria..........

Heh heh. Just kidding, sort of. I have made no bones about Gloria becoming the new Commissioner of the reverse mergered Pac-12/13/Whatever. Heck, we can keep Colorado Springs as HQ. I was born there. Kind of an odd outpost, but so what.

Thoughts?

Pac-12 officially moving on from commissioner George Kliavkoff​

Jon WilnerFeb. 13, 2024 at 2:12 pm
The Pac-12 has begun the process of separating from commissioner George Kliavkoff, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The move has been anticipated since the Pac-12 collapsed on Aug. 4, when five schools bolted for other leagues after Kliavkoff failed to negotiate a satisfactory media rights contract.

Kliavkoff reports to the Pac-12 board of directors, made up of the presidents of the two remaining schools, Washington State’s Kirk Schulz and Oregon State’s Jayathi Murthy.

Under the terms of a court order, Schulz and Murthy are required to notify the 10 departing schools of any board action.

Few details are available at this point, including whatever severance package might be in line for Kliavkoff, who was hired in the spring of 2021.

Less than three years later, the 12-team conference he inherited is down to two members.

The other 10 will join new leagues this summer.

Kliavkoff’s contract is believed to have at least two years remaining with an expected salary of approximately $3.5 million annually, based on data from the Pac-12’s tax filings for the 2022 fiscal year.

According to a mediated settlement between the two remaining schools and the outbound 10, conference liabilities are considered a shared expense. Kliavkoff’s contract seemingly would fit under that category.

The Pac-12 office released the following statement in response to a request for comment:

“The Pac-12 Conference Board has given the departing 10 schools notice of a proposed leadership transition with an invitation to provide comment. We expect to provide more information following a decision in the coming days.”

That “transition” seemingly will include the appointment of a replacement for Kliavkoff.

Teresa Gould, the Pac-12’s deputy commissioner, is well respected by the schools and considered a likely option — not only as an interim commissioner through the spring but perhaps to manage a scaled-down version of the conference for the 2024-25 school year and beyond.

WSU and OSU plan to operate as a two-team conference in football, under the Pac-12 banner, for the next two seasons; their basketball teams and many Olympic sports will be housed in the West Coast Conference.

By the fall of 2026, the ‘Pac-2’ must expand, or the Pac-12 will no longer be recognized as an official conference.

Our previous commisioner was pretty bad.

But good lord how do implode a P5 conference.

Smart move at this time so that the departing schools share in his "separation" cost. The guy seems like dead weight now anyway since no one has any confidence in him.

Smart move at this time so that the departing schools share in his "separation" cost. The guy seems like dead weight now anyway since no one has any confidence in him.
Would have been a smarter move months ago. But yeah the shared buyout is a positive. As I posted on my board, we need to put this Teresa Gould in as interim, saving the permanent place for Gloria when we merge.

And we need to gut the organization's staff ASAP to save money. Most of them are unneeded. Save a few of the good ones and look to the Mtn West folks. Keep the best on both sides. Sorry to the lower-level folks.

Season 4 Singing GIF by The Simpsons

What’s that gotta do with us?
Well, for starters the Pac-2 might covet your Commissioner as a replacement.

Next, if you have been reading, a merger, or preferably a reverse merger between the Pac-2 and MW is a distinct possibility, some would say probability. Which would likely mean onboarding Gloria and probably much of her team. Getting Kliavkoff out of the way is a next step.

Well, for starters the Pac-2 might covet your Commissioner as a replacement.

Next, if you have been reading, a merger, or preferably a reverse merger between the Pac-2 and MW is a distinct possibility, some would say probability. Which would likely mean onboarding Gloria and probably much of her team. Getting Kliavkoff out of the way is a next step.
UNLV is a joke..

Sorry u guys got ditched. Just join our crappy conference and call it a day.

Nobody is going to join a crappy conference that gives bsu $1.8 million are year more than the rest of the teams. Time to merge into the Pac12/2 if it can be worked out to the advantage of all that join, not just one school!
I can't believe it will be worked out. OSU/WSU will want 5 times what the rest of the conference gets.( at least) I think the Conference has already had enough of that crap with BSU.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I can't believe it will be worked out. OSU/WSU will want 5 times what the rest of the conference gets.( at least) I think the Conference has already had enough of that crap with BSU.

Are they really in a position to demand?

Life as an independent is tough unless you're Notre Dame.

Unless BIG10/BIG12 reach out they have no home.

Join some MW/PAC hybrid creating arguably the top G5 conference. Win it, and with expanded playoffs you have a shot at the playoffs.

I think schools come together, figure out TV deal. Boise can complain all they want but unless Big12 comes calling their best situation is to remain in MWC even if a new deal isn't so sweet...

UNLV waking up in football will have a lot to do with why BSU will either join with the merge on the same level as the rest of the teams, or be kicked to the curb!

No no no. The Pac-2 (responding to Bull's post as well) is not in some position of superiority here. We are twisting in the wind. A couple of somewhat rural, land-grant institutions? Shit we are a better fit with the MW than we ever were in the Pac-8/10/12.

The whole reverse merger concept is not about us, it is about keeping/raising the profile of the conference. Good for everyone.

No no no. The Pac-2 (responding to Bull's post as well) is not in some position of superiority here. We are twisting in the wind. A couple of somewhat rural, land-grant institutions? Shit we are a better fit with the MW than we ever were in the Pac-8/10/12.

The whole reverse merger concept is not about us, it is about keeping/raising the profile of the conference. Good for everyone.
Agreed.

The addition of Oregon State and Washington State in a reverse merger into the Pac will increase the overall footprint of the conference over that of the MWC alone by the addition of two more states. It is a very good time for UNLV football to come to life, and for the MWC to have their best basketball showing in a decade. The new Pac should be able to set up a much better TV contract than the MWC currently has. Considering how bad the Pac TV deal was going to be, it may not be all that far behind that deal. Of course I know that it will be nowhere near the Big or SEC, but I expect it will be significantly better than that of the current MWC deal.

I don't see a University President giving up over $ 20 million a year. All we'll hear is the Conference exists because of them, they have more attendance yada, yada, yada. I can't believe they will agree to an even split with Wyoming or USU. As an independent in football they could play each other, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Fresno, Stanford and CAL and SDSU.

I don't see a University President giving up over $ 20 million a year. All we'll hear is the Conference exists because of them, they have more attendance yada, yada, yada. I can't believe they will agree to an even split with Wyoming or USU. As an independent in football they could play each other, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Fresno, Stanford and CAL and SDSU.

Here's the issues with being an independent though.

Lose just one game, what do you have left to play for? No conference title. Difficult to right the ship.

You have to find willing opponents. P4s might give you one game but how many P4s gave Boise home and away series.?

So...

As an independent you'll need a solid schedule and at least one 'marquee' win. Probably have to do it on the road.

Beating a bunch of G5s might get you in to playoff, but you'd probably have to go undefeated.

A merger with MW or simply joining MW makes sense. The alternative is worse.

Patience, I know you guys are in a tough spot for 2 years, but keep an eye on the ACC. They have some schools very eager to bolt.

I would not be surprised to see Stanford, Cal and SMU come crawling back. Add the best MWC schools, Tulane etc and you could have a conference reminiscent or better than the early MWC heyday in football and basketball.

The tough part is going to be watching other MWC schools be left behind. SJSU, New Mexico etc probably will have to figure something else out.

Patience, I know you guys are in a tough spot for 2 years, but keep an eye on the ACC. They have some schools very eager to bolt.

I would not be surprised to see Stanford, Cal and SMU come crawling back. Add the best MWC schools, Tulane etc and you could have a conference reminiscent or better than the early MWC heyday in football and basketball.

The tough part is going to be watching other MWC schools be left behind. SJSU, New Mexico etc probably will have to figure something else out.

Let's say ACC collapse happens.

OREGON STATE
WASH. STATE
STANFORD
CAL
SMU
UTSA
TULANE
UNLV
BOISE STATE
SDSU
CSU
FRESNO

?

Tell that to BYU who have a much bigger following and couldn't survive as an independent.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Don't know where your $20 million/yr number comes from. As far as attendance, WSU's stadium only holds 33,000 and we have been averaging much less than that - playing a Pac-12 schedule.

I don't see the Pac-2 cobbling together a conference from scratch. I don't want SMU or UTSA. Cal and Stanford had their chance to stay and they bolted too. Shows what they think of us.

Anyway, lots of things to deal with.

Technically SMU can't come crawling back if they never had been part of the Pac.

Technically SMU can't come crawling back if they never had been part of the Pac.
Well I was going to mention that :).

To another post, I am not at all keen on far-flung teams like UTSA, SMU and Tulane, They may not be all that far from the Colorado schools or NM, but from WSU and OSU? A long ways. And what makes them any better than most of the MW schools? Why the ACC took SMU in the first place is beyond me.

Here's the issues with being an independent though.

Lose just one game, what do you have left to play for? No conference title. Difficult to right the ship.

You have to find willing opponents. P4s might give you one game but how many P4s gave Boise home and away series.?

So...

As an independent you'll need a solid schedule and at least one 'marquee' win. Probably have to do it on the road.

Beating a bunch of G5s might get you in to playoff, but you'd probably have to go undefeated.

A merger with MW or simply joining MW makes sense. The alternative is worse.
Also being in a conference really matters. The top 6 conference champions get into the playoff. Thats the power 4 + 2 more.

It makes it especially tough for independents now. Pretty much have to go undefeated and beat some really noteworthy teams as well.

There is a reason that ND and Army decided to join conferences.

To another post, I am not at all keen on far-flung teams like UTSA, SMU and Tulane, They may not be all that far from the Colorado schools or NM, but from WSU and OSU? A long ways. And what makes them any better than most of the MW schools? Why the ACC took SMU in the first place is beyond me.
$$$$$$
its the reason all of the movement happened. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dallas is a huge market, even if SMU's penetration of it isn't great.

Which is the reason that a new PAC could still be in play over a merger.

That is because SMU bring some value while they agreed to a Tv deal that gives them zero dollars for the first nine years. They cut their own throat to get into a conference that is collapsing. The one thing on their side is if they backed out, I am sure the courts would agree they owe no damages since they are receiving no money.

TV market.

Lot more eyes on TVs in Texas vs New Mexico.

San Jose massive TV market. Unfortunately even when Spartans have been good they don't draw well in attendance.

USU I can see an argument to keep. Decent basketball, football pops up ok every few years. Utah while not an overly populous state is a place a lot of MWC schools recruit from. I don't know if you want to get completely out of that market.

AF football always competitive. But not a major TV draw...Make sense for them to join AAC with Army and Navy.

I get the reluctance of adding Texas schools due to travel, but more eyes watching the better. All this comes down to TV deals and packages etc..

That is because SMU bring some value while they agreed to a Tv deal that gives them zero dollars for the first nine years. They cut their own throat to get into a conference that is collapsing. The one thing on their side is if they backed out, I am sure the courts would agree they owe no damages since they are receiving no money.

Probably hoping ACC implodes to get out..

Don't know where your $20 million/yr number comes from. As far as attendance, WSU's stadium only holds 33,000 and we have been averaging much less than that - playing a Pac-12 schedule.

I don't see the Pac-2 cobbling together a conference from scratch. I don't want SMU or UTSA. Cal and Stanford had their chance to stay and they bolted too. Shows what they think of us.

Anyway, lots of things to deal with.
Media revenue. Undetermined what the future MWC TV deal will be but it looks like these two schools will be giving up well over $ 20 mil per school. Their media income was over $ 30 mil last year. Guaranteed, the Presidents of these schools have already spent this money on pet projects and would do ANYTHING to keep the gravy train on the tracks. To join the MWC is a guarantee that they'll be losing a fortune and they will eventually get the blame when the pet programs get shut down. Each of their Presidents makes over $ 700,000 and will move heaven and earth, grab at any straw to keep it.

Media revenue. Undetermined what the future MWC TV deal will be but it looks like these two schools will be giving up well over $ 20 mil per school. Their media income was over $ 30 mil last year. Guaranteed, the Presidents of these schools have already spent this money on pet projects and would do ANYTHING to keep the gravy train on the tracks. To join the MWC is a guarantee that they'll be losing a fortune and they will eventually get the blame when the pet programs get shut down. Each of their Presidents makes over $ 700,000 and will move heaven and earth, grab at any straw to keep it.

Correct but there are only two of them left. They don't have any power to negotiate anymore.

If they have no conference they have no TV deal.

That's why if you are trying to create/rebrand/merge a new conference I think you consider getting into the Texas market and keep Fresno and SDSU to get some of California market.

Correct but there are only two of them left. They don't have any power to negotiate anymore.

If they have no conference they have no TV deal.

That's why if you are trying to create/rebrand/merge a new conference I think you consider getting into the Texas market and keep Fresno and SDSU to get some of California market.
IMO, they are waiting for the ACC to collapse in the hopes that a new Power conference can be developed with two divisions - East and West. They could possibly get a better TV deal well beyond what the MWC will get on it's own.

IMO, they are waiting for the ACC to collapse in the hopes that a new Power conference can be developed with two divisions - East and West. They could possibly get a better TV deal well beyond what the MWC will get on it's own.

I floated that possibility earlier.

If you went 9 West teams 9 East teams.

You only play your division. (8 games) regular season Champs from each division play each other for conference title.

Not sure if it's feasible outside of football and basketball..

Reactions: Rosegreen1
Echoing Warthog, the Pac-2 will have no media deal as of August 1. So we are starting at zero. Also zero idea how our games with the MW will be handled.

Echoing Warthog, the Pac-2 will have no media deal as of August 1. So we are starting at zero. Also zero idea how our games with the MW will be handled.
As for the media when looking at our side I have to think Gloria is on the clock to make some changes in our media contract. We've essentially added OSU and WSU to our televised schedules in our home games so I'm hoping there is value in that with our media partners. This might be the barometer test to see how much you are worth. Of course if there is an increase in our media revenue then that will impact our exit fees down the road. It may impact the Pac2's attempt to poach from the MWC and rebuild. It could force the reverse merger previously discussed.

Gloria, what the hell are you doing regarding our media contract? We need more money.

As for the media when looking at our side I have to think Gloria is on the clock to make some changes in our media contract. We've essentially added OSU and WSU to our televised schedules in our home games so I'm hoping there is value in that with our media partners. This might be the barometer test to see how much you are worth. Of course if there is an increase in our media revenue then that will impact our exit fees down the road. It may impact the Pac2's attempt to poach from the MWC and rebuild. It could force the reverse merger previously discussed.

Gloria, what the hell are you doing regarding our media contract? We need more money.
This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From what I read, and if there have been recent changes please share;

"The terms of the contract grant CBS Sports and FOX Sports the rights to broadcast 47 Mountain West football games each season. CBS Sports Network will televise 27 games, while FOX Sports broadcasts 17 games. CBS Sports gets further rights to broadcast three non-conference games."

So 44 conference games total is the whole conference schedule, correct? 8 games x 11/2?

And 3 non-con? So WSU and OSU have how many with you guys? The schedules I see shows WSU playing 8 against the MW, OSU shows 7. We both play SDSU, BSU and SJSU. The "scheduling agreement" indicates more like 6, but whatever. It gets better - the MW will play 7 conference games plus 1 non-con with us and OSU? So that means not enough league games to fill the contracted TV 44. And 15 extra OOC games out there in La La Land.

Sorry, the math gets confusing, especially after a few beers. Bottom line IMHO is that there is a need for and room for some (positive?) negotiation with CBS and Fox, preferably for the benefit of the MW and Pac-2.

As an aside, I kind of have the hots for Gloria. Yeah she is getting on in years (53 now?), and looks like she needs to hit the gym, as compared to the pics I see of her from a few years back. But hey, I'd still do her.

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From what I read, and if there have been recent changes please share;

"The terms of the contract grant CBS Sports and FOX Sports the rights to broadcast 47 Mountain West football games each season. CBS Sports Network will televise 27 games, while FOX Sports broadcasts 17 games. CBS Sports gets further rights to broadcast three non-conference games."

So 44 conference games total is the whole conference schedule, correct? 8 games x 11/2?

And 3 non-con? So WSU and OSU have how many with you guys? The schedules I see shows WSU playing 8 against the MW, OSU shows 7. We both play SDSU, BSU and SJSU. The "scheduling agreement" indicates more like 6, but whatever. It gets better - the MW will play 7 conference games plus 1 non-con with us and OSU? So that means not enough league games to fill the contracted TV 44. And 15 extra OOC games out there in La La Land.

Sorry, the math gets confusing, especially after a few beers. Bottom line IMHO is that there is a need for and room for some (positive?) negotiation with CBS and Fox, preferably for the benefit of the MW and Pac-2.

As an aside, I kind of have the hots for Gloria. Yeah she is getting on in years (53 now?), and looks like she needs to hit the gym, as compared to the pics I see of her from a few years back. But hey, I'd still do her.
Well, that's good to know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT