ADVERTISEMENT

Forgotten Man

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
He came back home 2+ years ago after playing sparingly at West Virginia and had to redshirt way back then. Battled shoulder injiries for a year and then foot injuries for the last year. So we have a 6’11” redshirt sophomore that really hasn’t played or practiced much in over 2 years.
I must admit I was hoping for a lot more from him earlier in the year, his feet were slow and he just didn’t seem ready to play. Looking back at what he has been through the last 2+ years is it any wonder?
Last night Cottrell played a huge role in taking down CSU. He looked quicker, much more active and was the preferred big over Boone down the stretch. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he becomes what we had hoped for. With or without Whaley in the next couple games he could be a big piece for the Rebs.
Gotta love the home town boys that came back to represent.

I was impressed with Cottrell as well. Admittedly I was not expecting much from him so it was easy to exceed my expectations, but he looked the part of a guy with his size and strength. I actually thought Cottrell was a senior (confused him with Jalen I think) so my expectations were to in line with his experience and certainly not his playing history. Hoping he continues to grow just as Whaley and Hicks have. Next year could look promising with who we have returning. Still need an impact transfer big and consistent shooter.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I was impressed with Cottrell as well. Admittedly I was not expecting much from him so it was easy to exceed my expectations, but he looked the part of a guy with his size and strength. I actually thought Cottrell was a senior (confused him with Jalen I think) so my expectations were to in line with his experience and certainly not his playing history. Hoping he continues to grow just as Whaley and Hicks have. Next year could look promising with who we have returning. Still need an impact transfer big and consistent shooter.
Hard to say what to expect from Cottrell. If healthy I think he could be a nice piece, still likely off the bench.
As for a transfer big? I don't know. Bear, Pape, Whaley, Cottrell? That could be pretty good. I think we need a wing defender like LuRod. A back up point and a shooter. (One player could fill a couple of those roles.)

We need two guys with some length who can create! Dudes like Harkless, Hamilton or Donovan Williams types to flank DJ with. Also a backup PG wouldn’t be bad either!

Those 3 guys are fringe pro, you want two of them? How about giving more time to Brooklyn Hicks and see how he will develop and bring a back up PG.

Hard to say what to expect from Cottrell. If healthy I think he could be a nice piece, still likely off the bench.
As for a transfer big? I don't know. Bear, Pape, Whaley, Cottrell? That could be pretty good. I think we need a wing defender like LuRod. A back up point and a shooter. (One player could fill a couple of those roles.)
Pape seems like another Diong-style project. Hope I’m wrong on that. I haven’t heard of Bear. What’s the scoop on him?

Reactions: RRebel
Pape seems like another Diong-style project. Hope I’m wrong on that. I haven’t heard of Bear. What’s the scoop on him?
I agree about Pape. I think Bear is either going to be a nice find like Whaley, or a complete miss like Jones, no in between.

Bear is the No. 2 ranked juco in the country. I will add the Juco Recruiting top 100 is pretty accurate. Last year Whaley was ranked No. 12. Shakur Juiston was no. 1. Karl Jones was unranked. Historically their top 25 transition very well to D-1.

2024 JUCO TOP 100 PLAYER RANKINGS​

RANKINGNAMEHT.JUCOCOMMITTED
1Malique Ewin6'10South Plains
2Jeremiah Cherry6'10NMJCUNLV
3Jabori McGhee6'2South PlainsUAB
4Mostapha El Moutaouakkil6'6Indian River
5Nakavieon White6'5National Park
6CJ Luster6'3Salt Lake
7Jeff Nwankwo6'7Cowley
8Jeremiah Davis6'5Fullerton
9Tavion Banks6'6Northwest Florida
10Dez Lindsey6'5Florida SouthwesternOregon

Last edited:
Bear is the No. 2 ranked juco in the country. I will add the Juco Recruiting top 100 is pretty accurate. Last year Whaley was ranked No. 12. Shakur Juiston was no. 1. Karl Jones was unranked. Historically their top 25 transition very well to D-1.

2024 JUCO TOP 100 PLAYER RANKINGS​

RANKINGNAMEHT.JUCOCOMMITTED
1Malique Ewin6'10South Plains
2Jeremiah Cherry6'10NMJCUNLV
3Jabori McGhee6'2South PlainsUAB
4Mostapha El Moutaouakkil6'6Indian River
5Nakavieon White6'5National Park
6CJ Luster6'3Salt Lake
7Jeff Nwankwo6'7Cowley
8Jeremiah Davis6'5Fullerton
9Tavion Banks6'6Northwest Florida
10Dez Lindsey6'5Florida SouthwesternOregon
Thanks for the info. Sounds like old school Rebels with a front court of hungry, hard-nosed JC players. I’ve always liked JC transfers. DJ, Hicks, Cottrell, Whaley, Cherry. Need a back-up PG and a shooter.

Hard to say with Barnarbie. He has been hurt, correct? I think I've heard he has been in a boot or knee brace at points this season.
If he is a healthy RS, hard to say. Those just doesn't happen much this year, and we have had some injuries with our bigs. Plus you get a few games for free without losing a RS.
If he has been a healthy scratch. it is hard to comfortably pencil him in the lineup next year.

Hard to say with Barnarbie. He has been hurt, correct? I think I've heard he has been in a boot or knee brace at points this season.
If he is a healthy RS, hard to say. Those just doesn't happen much this year, and we have had some injuries with our bigs. Plus you get a few games for free without losing a RS.
If he has been a healthy scratch. it is hard to comfortably pencil him in the lineup next year.
I can't find any info where Barnarbie is hurt. I thought he was a redshirt from day 1.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I can't find any info where Barnarbie is hurt. I thought he was a redshirt from day 1.
I didn't see it, since I was not there. But my dad said he saw him a boot and/or a knee brace for a portion of this season I can't remember which. He wasn't familiar on who he was to be fair since he was asking me who he was after the fact. Unless we were hosting another player about his size that happened to have a knee brace at the time. I think it was in December or early January?

Last edited:
I vaguely recall @lobbybuu or someone else that he mightve also had some academic eligibility issues which led to his late recruitment status as well..

Reactions: TimothyC3
He is at the games. Does not participate in pre games. So he is a redshirt for sure.

Here's what I know on Barnaby. He was enrolled for one year at Donda Academy to play hoops which was Kanye West's school. Not a surprise.... Donda Academy didn't even have accreditation and was closed down. Consequently, he lost an entire year which negatively impacted his eligibility and why he was red shirted. The kid is a legit 6'9", solid skill set. motor and a really good athlete.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...hool-basketball-season-cancelled/10672542002/

We are going to have the most intimidating airport team in recent Rebel history!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT