ADVERTISEMENT

LSU D coordinator Dave Aranda -

Aranda was always out of our league. Big money coming for National Champ Dave.

While what happened at Baylor was bad, I don't believe any of the coaching staff or players were around at the time of all of the problems. To blame the current players and staff would be the same as calling out the UNLV probation of the past.

Who said anything about current, and when did I blame any current players or staff? Baylor (President and AD) knowingly covered up 50+ sexual assaults and knowingly allowed Art Briles to defame a dead player...and they got a slap on the wrist. The cover up was worse than Sandusky because they actually did something about it...just not enough.

Not only did Baylor sit on their hands, but they actively suppressed evidence. That stigma should never leave.

The murder case was basketball coach Dave bliss in around 2003. Art Briles had shameful stuff to be sure, but I do not think murder was part of his misdeeds.

The murder case was basketball coach Dave bliss in around 2003. Art Briles had shameful stuff to be sure, but I do not think murder was part of his misdeeds.
I think he misspoke with that one.

Between Penn State and Baylor, neither should be participating in college athletics, IMO. Infractions are infractions, those can be dealt with easily enough. Widespread and systematic cover ups of nefarious crimes? Shut them down. Even widespread and systematic “cheating” (UNC, Minnesota) can be dealt with, it’s “victimless” in my eyes. But when you are screwing up lives permanently, innocent lives, screw you.

So you get to pick and choose which laws? Sorry, you can clean house, but you don't hold a university permanently responsible for the idiots that ran it! If you did that, I would shut down UNLV today based on past Presidents and the crap they pulled.

So you get to pick and choose which laws? Sorry, you can clean house, but you don't hold a university permanently responsible for the idiots that ran it! If you did that, I would shut down UNLV today based on past Presidents and the crap they pulled.
Systematic implies that it was rampant, that it was well known throughout the department. With Penn State, the entire athletic department, school and even campus police covered up molestation, that's on top of the coaching staff. Molestation, rape, etc... much more heinous than "cheating".

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to draw lines between the two. Were people hurt?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Systematic implies that it was rampant, that it was well known throughout the department. With Penn State, the entire athletic department, school and even campus police covered up molestation, that's on top of the coaching staff. Molestation, rape, etc... much more heinous than "cheating".

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to draw lines between the two. Were people hurt?
"But the people that allowed the rapes are all gone so we shouldn't be hit with any penalties."

The penalty resulted in a one-year ban, or something like that, but that one year hardly makes up for the decades of negligence on the part of the entire campus/city. You seriously cover up the molestation of little boys for decades and you think a one year penalty is a strict enough punishment?

By the way, I loved Penn State growing up. They were "my team." So to think that I was a fan of another school and am kicking them when they are down is untrue.

Reactions: j. spilotro
"But the people that allowed the rapes are all gone so we shouldn't be hit with any penalties."

The penalty resulted in a one-year ban, or something like that, but that one year hardly makes up for the decades of negligence on the part of the entire campus/city. You seriously cover up the molestation of little boys for decades and you think a one year penalty is a strict enough punishment?

By the way, I loved Penn State growing up. They were "my team." So to think that I was a fan of another school and am kicking them when they are down is untrue.
Sometimes are one offs and are relatively innocuous, if somebody is "hurt", it's very temporary and on the surface. Ok, you paid Player X $50K to sign. Who, personally, is hurt? The school and fans of the school that DIDN'T get him? The player next to him who had to take a pay cut to afford Player X? It gives a bad rep to the school, to the alumni? Ok, whatever, big deal. Slap them with infractions.

Raping boys? Raping girls? Covering up a murder and smearing the shit out of a family name while they are grieving? That rape isn't going away, that scarred their little brains for life and the family is severely impacted too. That is ruining lives.

Huge, huge difference.

But, like every other sickening thing in this world, it comes down to money. These schools make money for the NCAA. Money drives everything. Morality is sold out.

Don't get me started. Left, right, in between - I'm still waiting for any politician with influence that hasn't sold out to big business or heavy interest money. It's all a sham and the 99.5% of "normal" Americans are the victims, I can't believe more people don't see it.

Don't get me started. Sorry for the tangent.

I meant Bliss. Confused by the B's. Thanks for the correction.

For reals. The 1993+ Rebels were punished for something that happened when they were like 3 years old. We are being punished, as fans, for something the University did 30 years ago.

In reality if you go to every University at the country you will find things done by either students, staff, or student athletes that could be argued as a reason to completely shut down the school. This also includes most if not all of the high schools in Las Vegas. A good example is ____ high school that in the past covered up numerous sexual assaults and rapes (i will not provide the school name, but it is a public high school from direct knowledge of what happened).

While the punishment should be harsh on those who commit the crimes, and those in charge should be long gone, that is the job of the court system, and it shouldn't be placed on future generations to be punished for what happened in the past. If it was up to me Penn State would have been shut down permanently in regards to athletics, but it didn't happen and to call out the students, student athletes and staff now for the past is wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT