ADVERTISEMENT

LSU D coordinator Dave Aranda -

He is making 2.3 million. He must really want a head coaching job.

I need to read it because all reports I see say his contract is "fully guaranteed" and there's no buyout. Is it fully guaranteed for the life of the contract or is it as long as he's with LSU. I can't imagine it is "fully guaranteed" regardless, but I have seen and written those into the contract.

There is absolutely no effing chance for this to happen. Who is smoking what and where can I get some?

We all know the money is there.

In this community.

But if this is even moderately possible, I would love to know who decided to step up.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-dave-aranda-a-strong-candidate-at-unlv/

When Tony Sanchez was let go at UNLV, sources told FootballScoop that Rebels AD Desiree Reed-Francois was on the hunt for “the next Lincoln Riley and the next Ryan Day“. For a while, it appeared she had her man in Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo.

However, a deal between UNLV and Arroyo has not been done, and sources tell FootballScoop that LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda has emerged as a strong candidate.

From the outside, this would appear a puzzling career move for Aranda. He is the highest-paid assistant in college football, in Year 2 of a 4-year contract that pays him $2.5 million per year. And with LSU in the midst of a 13-0 season, it’s not as if the Tigers will be tight with the purse strings as they work to keep a good thing going. Sanchez made $600,000, by comparison.

Furthermore, UNLV has been a historically difficult place to win. The last coach to leave Las Vegas with a winning record did so in 1985.

However, Aranda has already banked more money than he ever could have dreamed upon entering coaching as a JV coach at Redlands High School in 1995, and head coaching opportunities only come along so often. Aranda spent 2012 as the defensive coordinator at Utah State, where he gained a ground-floor look at what success looks like at a historically downtrodden program.

In fact, sources close to Aranda say the fact that UNLV has had such trouble winning is in part what intrigues him about the job. Those who know him say he is a coach who likes having mountains to climb. Having John Robinson, yes the same John Robinson in the graphic above, on LSU’s staff has to have been a good sounding board for Aranda during this process.

Sources say Aranda is also encouraged by the commitments to UNLV has pledged to the program in terms of money for assistant coaches and support staff. The program will move into the Las Vegas Raiders’ (that’s going to take some getting used to) new stadium next fall and also recently opened a new facility.

Having said all that, a deal is not done, and Aranda is mulling over the opportunity. He is not being encouraged to leave LSU by any stretch.

Pinch me.

I have been in the former HC camp all along and still am! But now I wonder this if all of a sudden someone can assist and pony up money for him and this hire and she (the AD) listens to reason, why wasn't the same thing done for someone like Butch Jones and more importantly why not Thad Matta?

Last edited:
Love the staff part if true. Never thought he was a consideration. Hopefully not being played. Am skeptical....
That’s what I’m having trouble wrapping my head around. Can’t see the HC/AC pool being under 4M per year.

I mean, we DO get more money than we’ve had through the stadium deal, but that’s a major bump. There’s have to be significant booster contributions. But who? Where have they been all these years? More Raider money? It’s hard to fathom. But this is the type of hire I’m talking about, a splash, one that can get you out of the hole that was so deeply dug by UNLV.

It’d be an absolute grand slam.

He is a much better name as a coordinator! He was DC at Wisconsin and LSU's defenses speak for themselves and he has been doing it more than one year at those schools.. interesting name no doubt.

Can she close this deal or is this Mick Cronin all over again?

5 year $12.5 mil, I don't see him considering anything less

I have been in the former HC camp all along and I still think that if all of a sudden someone can assist and pony up money for him and she (the AD) listens why not Butch Jones and more importantly why not Thad Matta?

I've been in the former HC camp as well but this would be a big boy hire. I thought this level of coordinator was well out of our range. This would be a commitment to UNLV football we haven't seen before.

I would have to concede that Dave Aranda is a huge step up from Arroyo and would prefer him instead but man I wish the money would have appeared a few months back when Matta was being bounced around!

Is that a rule or guideline?

The money coming in has to go to football only or could UNLV have taken a fraction of it and thrown a little of it at hoops?

Wasn’t Aranda in discussions to become Texas A&M’s coach the last go around?

No offense to our school, but wtf am I missing here?

I'd this is true it sounds like they found some kind of booster to step up and pay big. I dont see how else this could be possible especially the report about big support for assistants.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
FWIW, I have a good friend who is a big lifelong LSU fan/alum. I asked him about Aranda.

He said, "Meh. He is a good recruiter."

Lol. Sounds a lot like Arroyo and Oregon.

To be fair. Oregon finding a top assistant to run their offense, and especially LSU finding someone to run their defense, is probably not the most difficult task. Those are two of the most premier coordinator jobs in the country especially on the respective sides of the ball. So I take some of the indifference about losing either guy with a grain of salt.

Reactions: RebelinWA
FWIW, I have a good friend who is a big lifelong LSU fan/alum. I asked him about Aranda.

He said, "Meh. He is a good recruiter."

Lol. Sounds a lot like Arroyo and Oregon.

To be fair. Oregon finding a top assistant to run their offense, and especially LSU finding someone to run their defense, is probably not the most difficult task. Those are two of the most premier coordinator jobs in the country especially on the respective sides of the ball. So I take some of the indifference about losing either guy with a grain of salt.

Everybody always blames the coordinators and play calling and the best player is always the backup QB...

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT