ADVERTISEMENT

LSU D coordinator Dave Aranda -

I'll murder you...
tenor.gif

Can we start a thread about how much we dont trust DRF?
Let’s do this- please ... only because I’m seriously confused with the sentiment that’s expressed on posts.
I have nothing For or Against DRF... from what I’ve seen she has been all in on UNLV, but I’d love to understand the down side, and the hate I hear in this football board... I have nothing close to being inside, but I’d love to understand your inside.

Let’s do this- please ... only because I’m seriously confused with the sentiment that’s expressed on posts.
I have nothing For or Against DRF... from what I’ve seen she has been all in on UNLV, but I’d love to understand the down side, and the hate I hear in this football board... I have nothing close to being inside, but I’d love to understand your inside.

It was a joke thread we started during the basketball search.

There was a lot of talk about her botching things.

So we started a thread of things we trusted more than DRF handling the coaching search.

Things like Sushi from 7-11, the guy who owned the van in the pic earlier in this thread.

There are some here who dislike her because they feel she isn't doing a good job. I'm indifferent at this point.

So we started a thread of things we trusted more than DRF handling the coaching search.

Things like Sushi from 7-11, the guy who owned the van in the pic earlier in this thread.

There are some here who dislike her because they feel she isn't doing a good job. I'm indifferent at this point.
- ok, thanks Bull- that explains a lot, because I have not been on the bb side... dear booster gods... please... make... this... happen..

It will have to be an offer Aranda can’t refuse.
Honestly - that will never happen- unless we seriously have SO MUCH booster support for staff-support, which I personally think is the most important part - please dear booster gods...

- ok, thanks Bull- that explains a lot, because I have not been on the bb side... dear booster gods... please... make... this... happen..

It was actually a pretty funny thread.

Anyway, I'll be as surprised as anybody if the Aranda thing happened. I can't see it...

Her top target and first offer for the UNLV basketball job was to Morton Hoser. Think about that for a second. Chicago State or whatever school it is. Some bum, lifetime .500 coach who fluked into one great season on the wings of a praying nun.

Basketball is UNLV's baby. Our fans are fickle. We need wins.

And she is so disconnected with UNLV, the fanbase and the landscape of college basketball that she offers this do nothing coach a contract? He should not have been the last one on the list. He never, ever should have made any list at all. Not here, not at UNLV.

That says enough about her to me. She doesn't know what she's doing. That was her home run swing. And he said no. And we ended up with Otz.

Maybe she knows more about football, but it's clear she doesn't know thing one about college basketball.

It's always amateur hour at UNLV. Every head coaching search has become a national embarrassment for the University and the city. The funny thing is that I've seen some spin this mess as good publicity because now everybody is talking about UNLV Football. It really is gross.

Last edited:
Reactions: karaoke_jesus
It's always amateur hour at UNLV. Every head coaching search has become a national embarrassment for the University and the city. The funny thing is that I've seen some spin this mess as good publicity because now everybody is talking about UNLV Football.
The mess?

I think this is normal for coaching searches for G5, even more so for schools with no sustained success in any major sport in 27 years. It's unnamed sources whose names are out there (maybe some by folks at university, surely some out by agents). The Boise State's of the world don't go through this because they have a wonderful history full of coaches who are former players that would love their job.

P5 don't go through this because the good G5 coaches want money, better jobs.

Bad G5 and most FCS schools have no choice but to play the game. We don't see all the speculation about Cal Poly because frankly we don't care about Cal Poly.

Most people who care about UNLV football have no idea Dave Aranda's name was ever out there in relation to this job. I work with several UNLV football and basketball season ticket holders who support UNLV and didn't even know Marcus Arroyo was involved. There's a small group of us who follow it this closely and then an extended group of national folks who follow every school's hires.

Sorry for the tanget. Mostly just saying I don't think of this as a mess. UNLV is what it is. It is closer to FCS than P5 at this moment, and that's the truth.

It's always amateur hour at UNLV. Every head coaching search has become a national embarrassment for the University and the city. The funny thing is that I've seen some spin this mess as good publicity because now everybody is talking about UNLV Football. It really is gross.
There are always loyal apologists. For the life of me, with so many examples of utter screw up (not saying that’s the case THIS time), it’s hard for me to believe the level of acceptance from the remaining fanbase.

giphy.gif

Sources have told me that the top coach in the mix is currently 95-25 as HC in the big sky conference. He was responsible for recruiting Dalton Sneed and bringing him to Montana.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Idiot!

You have two options!

You either stand over there with the bed wetting, Menzies loving, DRF apologists!

Or

Over here where we hate everything! And have a fondness for exclamation points!

There will be no middle ground pal....

Pick a hill.

Die on it...
I pick the hill that says this guy has never held a job for longer than two years

Fair.

Also true that coordinators work on two year deals typically. I mean Canada has had like 9 OC jobs. It's not uncommon for them to bounce around a bit.

I hear ya though..
I mean, I get that a coordinator usually has a two year contract, but the only two year job he's held was the Coordinator at Oregon. Everything before that was one pump and dump. Not a bastion of stability

Some numbers on Arroyo as an O-Coordinator.

Offensive rank
SJSU 2006 (Pre-Arroyo) - 47th
SJSU 2007 - 89th
SJSU 2008 - 113th

Wyoming 2008 (Pre-Arroyo) - 108th
Wyoming 2009 - 107th
Wyoming 2010 - 116th

Southern Miss 2012 (Pre-Arroyo) - 109th
Southern Miss 2013 - 116th

Oregon 2016 (Pre Arroyo) - 16th
Oregon 2017 - 30th
Oregon 2018 - 39th
Oregon - 2019 - 25th

Based on those numbers, it seems as if the teams offense got worse when Arroyo took over OC duties.

Good info LuvMeSomeRebs.

I was looking at his SJSU, WYO, and S. Miss numbers the other day and I was very disappointed. He's team didn't even average 20 points per game. He didn't look like some offensive wiz to me. Hopefully he learned a lot during his time at Oregon.

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
But yet he still got the Oregon job, so pure yardage numbers don't tell the whole story. You don't get better jobs by sucking, unless you were Lane Kiffin 10 years ago.

But not going to lie, those numbers don't exactly excite me.

At least he is a OC with a nationally ranked team. Since he only stayed an average of 1.7 years at any one position, means he didn't like the head coach's recruiting ability or the level of athletes on the team after taking the job. SJSU stats are meaningless in my opinion. This is as good as it gets for me. This is the route I wanted, at least he knows what a strength coach looks like. Maybe we can get rid of these devastating injuries that have plagued the program for years.

Offensive rank
SJSU 2007 - 89th
SJSU 2008 - 113th

Wyoming 2009 - 107th
Wyoming 2010 - 116th

Oregon 2017 - 30th
Oregon 2018 - 39th
Oregon - 2019 - 25th

Based on those numbers, it seems as if the teams offense got worse when Arroyo took over OC duties.
I’m sure he didn’t include those rankings on his resume..

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs

Offensive rank
SJSU 2007 - 89th
SJSU 2008 - 113th

Wyoming 2009 - 107th
Wyoming 2010 - 116th

Oregon 2017 - 30th
Oregon 2018 - 39th
Oregon - 2019 - 25th

Interesting.

The Wyoming number don't bug me really. Relatively stagnant. Same with Southern Miss. (Obviously you'd rather see improvement).

SJSU numbers not good on surface. The previous year they were pretty balanced 2k yard passer 1k yard rusher. He took over QB went up to 3k yards but rushing attack way down. Not sure what to make of that..

Oregon #s are still solid despite a dip.

But yet he still got the Oregon job, so pure yardage numbers don't tell the whole story. You don't get better jobs by sucking, unless you were Lane Kiffin 10 years ago.

But not going to lie, those numbers don't exactly excite me.

Uhhhhh its called kingsbury. He sucked at Texas tech while having every quarterback and now he's hc in NFL talk about FAILING YOUR WAY UP

I love you Lane Train

I think Lane takes the cake.

Tennessee, disappointing results PLUS scandal. Bolts for USC, back when they were a top 5 job in the country. Huge disappointment. Somehow parlays that mess for the Raiders job!

He must be the best interviewer of all time.

At least Cliff had good offenses at Tech and developed Pat Mahomes

I see people worry about his job jumping, but let me put this in perspective based on my past experience. I work for myself as a civil consultant in land development now, but when working for other people, I was always loyal to those who hired my until I was laid off or lost the job by other means. While I watched those who job hopped as often as every 6 months or less when things were booming and always thought that was a stupid move that would give them a bad reputation, but I found that those who jumped the most ended up moving up the ranks quickly and ended up in management positions quickly while those who showed loyalty ended up being passed over for promotions. While we would like to see someone stay here long term, they will either leave because they can't coach, or they will leave because they do a good job. The goal is to get us to the point where the program is good enough to have the Pac12 and Big12 come knocking on our door at which point we will then be on an even playing field, until then it is a dog eat dog world!

I see people worry about his job jumping, but let me put this in perspective based on my past experience. I work for myself as a civil consultant in land development now, but when working for other people, I was always loyal to those who hired my until I was laid off or lost the job by other means. While I watched those who job hopped as often as every 6 months or less when things were booming and always thought that was a stupid move that would give them a bad reputation, but I found that those who jumped the most ended up moving up the ranks quickly and ended up in management positions quickly while those who showed loyalty ended up being passed over for promotions. While we would like to see someone stay here long term, they will either leave because they can't coach, or they will leave because they do a good job. The goal is to get us to the point where the program is good enough to have the Pac12 and Big12 come knocking on our door at which point we will then be on an even playing field, until then it is a dog eat dog world!
UNLV athletics, period, is a pit stop if there is success. There’s nothing we can do about that because of limited finances. That’s a bridge we need to cross instead of worrying about.

Tark was unique. Not only did he have the city by the balls, but he was too tainted for a blue blood to ever touch. Nevermind that it was bullshit, that many coaches back then were worse and coaches today make him look like a choir boy. But it’s what rep was. And he was just a great personality fit for the city, larger than life… so he’s different. We couldn’t retain Kruger even if we wanted, we simply cannot compete with P5 money, prestige and opportunity.

Let’s get to that point for a change. At least it’s a fun ride before we all jump off a cliff.

We can't compete NOW because of the shitty history we have. Don't you think that the next 5-10 years of winning seasons and bowls will get us into a bigger conference, thereby bringing in more money, which leads to the ability get a high-quality coach to stay and financial stability? at which time, this will no longer be a pit stop.

We just need to first find that guy to get us there

We can't compete NOW because of the shitty history we have. Don't you think that the next 5-10 years of winning seasons and bowls will get us into a bigger conference, thereby bringing in more money, which leads to the ability get a high-quality coach to stay and financial stability? at which time, this will no longer be a pit stop.

We just need to first find that guy to get us there
I’d say just about every MWC FB/BB job is a pit stop if there’s success. It’s why we are a midmajor. Once you hit P5, even low level, agreed, that’s when you are a final destination.

I’d say just about every MWC FB/BB job is a pit stop if there’s success. It’s why we are a midmajor. Once you hit P5, even low level, agreed, that’s when you are a final destination.
Is it possible to be invited to P5 in the next 3-5 yrs?... would that retain our ‘up and coming coach’- or would we move on. I know that would all depend on results, but such a great transition point for the program right now.

Is it possible to be invited to P5 in the next 3-5 yrs?... would that retain our ‘up and coming coach’- or would we move on. I know that would all depend on results, but such a great transition point for the program right now.
I think if it doesn’t happen within 5 years, the door slams shut. The gap is just increasing. But you are right, that certainly could be enough to retain head coaches. We’d go from stepping stone to final destination in one swoop with the proper conference affiliation.

Offensive rank
SJSU 2007 - 89th
SJSU 2008 - 113th

Wyoming 2009 - 107th
Wyoming 2010 - 116th

Oregon 2017 - 30th
Oregon 2018 - 39th
Oregon - 2019 - 25th

Cant deny the disappointment in his G5 numbers. Sjsu and wyoming un that era would have been the most challenging places to recruit in conference. Of course you want coordinators to cover up shortcomings. ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT