ADVERTISEMENT

This is insane

I believe he's an extremely talented QB... that could certainly get the starting job there a couple weeks in.
I think that he did not have chemistry with our OC or they conflicted for whatever reason. In fact I think the HC was hoping the OC would jump to keep the QB. Just my gut
I'm really concerned with the QB position for this year - hope I'm wrong and the talent recruited will come through, but the chemistry/momentum lost... stupid imo
In the last few games of the season I really didn't feel like the chemistry was clicking on all cylinders!
Reactions: RedCannon

How good are our quarterbacks for this year?

Who knows. He could be the next best thing since Randall Cunningham. Or, he could end up be like a previous QB who emphasized tuck and duck.

I for one have high hopes. We need him to be at his best. He needs to be at his best if he wants a future at the professional level.

Overall, I'm somehow believing that we will be a better team with him and he will be a better QB with the players in front of him.
Playing for Holy Cross he had to do everything to keep the team in the games, at UNLV there are way more options on offense that can play at a very high level. The receivers are through the roof in regards to talent!

OT Movies 2024!!

dude, I respect old movies but I don’t have the patience to watch it.

Watched Them! 1959 about killer gigantic ants. Not bad but not good either.

Can you guys recommend old good movies that an older gentlemen might like?

what sucks about basic cable is that they literally show the same movies over and over again. And Fox and msn. Just awful stuff to watch.

I haven’t watched any Mob movies believe it or not. Still haven’t watched Godfather 1,2 or 3.

I don’t have a clue what’s on any movies 2024.. planet of the apes??? The original one was great. Ughhh just ranting.

I have officially hit older middle age so movies I am out of the loop.

OT: Star Wars

What did you guys think of episode 7?

Looks like Sol needs to come clean. If you played knights of the old republic for the X box…a couple of dark side powers make their debut on live action screen.

The Jedi lie all the time, that’s kinda not a good virtue to have…

overall im pretty happy. I like lightsabers so anything with shiny swords, I can watch for hours on end.

This is insane

What is the general consensus on here re: Maiava; he is not a good QB, he isnt good enough to play at USC regardless of who he is competing with, or Miller Moss is straight up better than him?
I believe he's an extremely talented QB... that could certainly get the starting job there a couple weeks in.
I think that he did not have chemistry with our OC or they conflicted for whatever reason. In fact I think the HC was hoping the OC would jump to keep the QB. Just my gut
I'm really concerned with the QB position for this year - hope I'm wrong and the talent recruited will come through, but the chemistry/momentum lost... stupid imo
Reactions: LVRebel2000

What is your opinion on Matt Sluka and how he will fare?
Who knows. He could be the next best thing since Randall Cunningham. Or, he could end up be like a previous QB who emphasized tuck and duck.

I for one have high hopes. We need him to be at his best. He needs to be at his best if he wants a future at the professional level.

Overall, I'm somehow believing that we will be a better team with him and he will be a better QB with the players in front of him.

I'm curious about everybody's feelings on our new quarterbacks for this coming football season. I know that Sluka's stats from Holy Cross are very impressive. But is he exactly what our football team needs next year? And how do you think that he'll do against the Mountain West's competition?
What is your opinion on Matt Sluka and how he will fare?

Can’t wait to see the 3rd stringer that’s been lost in the shuffle.
We've seen him already. He gets the yips anytime hes asked to make a read since his freshman season. no thanks.

As for the OP question... Thats the G5 Invitee million dollar question. If Sluka can manage to lead the offense with anywhere near the same efficiency or better than Maiava did then we will be in a position to be playing for a National Championship in the playoff... Our defense is going to be better and the offense around the QB is going to be better, and the conference outside the top 3 is mediocre to really bad. We get to play the entire slate of bottom half MWC teams while avoiding traveling to Fresno and Boise and completely avoiding AFA, CSU, and Wyoming... So yeah, I think Sluka will benefit with the talent around him and fits into things the G-Go might want to do that just didnt work with Maiava's inexperience or skill set.

Holy Cross lost 17-14 to Army. Sluka had 37 carries for 171 yards & 16-23 for 156 yards (Army destroyed AF 23-3). Army finished the season 6-6

Holy Cross lost 31-28 to Boston College. Sluka had 18 carries for 135 yards & 10-15 for 130 yards (Boston College beat 22 ranked SMU in the bowl game 23-14). Boston college also beat Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Army Virginia, etc.). Boston College finished the season 7-6.

Based on the above games, he showed he can be competitive with mid level programs at the upper level that are similar to the MWC teams without the skilled players to back him up that will be available at UNLV.
He was meh in that BC game I happened to be at that one. When will our first look at him be in camp?

MW reaches "deal" with TNT, will air games on their networks this season.

Yessir!, UNLV to play 10 "Nationally-Televised" games in 2024

5 on CBSN
3 on FS1
1 on ESPN
1 on CW

CBSSN - Can't Be Seen Sports Network - is always on a more expensive tier and I decided a couple years ago to stop paying extra for it.

MW reaches "deal" with TNT, will air games on their networks this season.

It is interesting that UNLV, Boise State and Hawaii are the only teams not playing on the TNT network. Says a lot about the popularity of UNLV football this coming year!

Yessir!, UNLV to play 10 "Nationally-Televised" games in 2024

5 on CBSN
3 on FS1
1 on ESPN
1 on CW

Boxing Thread

Speaking of boxing brawlers; I would have loved to have seen prime Rios and Provodnikov fight. Both those guys used to eat shovels to the face. All that would have mattered is who could stay standing longer.
Yeah they don’t make boxers like they used to.

Erik morales vs Marcos Maidana was an excellent fight. I wish I saw it earlier.

I see that the yawner boxer and I totally respect the hit and not hit philosophy..

Shakur Stevensen is a free agent..Sign with Eddie Hearn or sign with Floyd.
Reactions: RebelinWA

Holy Cross lost 17-14 to Army. Sluka had 37 carries for 171 yards & 16-23 for 156 yards (Army destroyed AF 23-3). Army finished the season 6-6

Holy Cross lost 31-28 to Boston College. Sluka had 18 carries for 135 yards & 10-15 for 130 yards (Boston College beat 22 ranked SMU in the bowl game 23-14). Boston college also beat Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Army Virginia, etc.). Boston College finished the season 7-6.

Based on the above games, he showed he can be competitive with mid level programs at the upper level that are similar to the MWC teams without the skilled players to back him up that will be available at UNLV.

2nd place predicted

There should be no reason why we cant get through conference schedule with 1 loss... The rest of the conference is trash and we need to split Fresno/Boise to make the championship game. The 5 of the bottom 6 all changed coaches and I'm not exactly sure that was an upgrade for most of them outside UNM getting Mendenhall. CSU probably gets more credit because of the Horton/Fowler combo... but still, 1 loss doesnt seem out of the realistic possibility when you look at how bad the bottom half of the conference is and the fact that we get Fresno and Boise at home along with avoiding a trip to CSU, Wyoming or Air Force.

2nd place predicted

Love when there aren’t built in excuses for failure, when slow build isn’t in the vocabulary. Get down to business from day one and do all you can … respect.

View attachment 225
To me, it is wild the drop off after 1-4. I think it's a decent fall off from 3 to 4, but in my opinion CSU is so far from 3rd in conference this season, they aren't even in the conversation.

I have seen people are thag everyone in the 8-10 spots will win the conference or at minimum be in the title game. I find that laughable for all 3. Wyoming landing at 6 makes sense given everyone behind them is so abysmal. But man the middle of this conference ain't good.

This is insane

I think everything on this thread is true. He may have gotten a little too much flak on these boards given he was a freshman who wasn't expected to start. That being said, he did make some big mistakes over and over, and he wasn't a perfect fit for this offense.
I think he would do better with more success on traditional run plays where we struggled. A more true option at QB would have helped, but doesn't automatically fix some of our run game struggles on early downs.
I agree with his return we would be more in the conversation as a MW contender. Being Freshman of the Year and second team all conference and all. Though he did feast early and struggled down the stretch.
Hr is going to perhaps the best QB developer on the country. And their staff liked his game enough to pay to bring him over. Though I agree, he will gave to improve greatly not to be relegated to 3rd string for thr foreseeable future.
Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT