ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Pac-2

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
Below is a copy and paste from Jon Wilner. Great info for the Pac-2, that Rose Bowl payout was unknown by most of us.

Let's get the reverse merger going. FY '26? The MW won't suffer, you can only be in as good or better of a spot. So the Pac-2 shouldn't have to pay anymore through the nose to get y'all. And the Pac-2 has $30M of BB money out there, which we get only is our conference exists in 2 years. Lots of wins out there.

Tallying cash available to Washington State, Oregon State for rebuilding Pac-12​

Jon WilnerMarch 30, 2024 at 2:40 pm
The process required eight months, a lawsuit, a negotiated settlement, clarity from the College Football Playoff, readings and re-readings of the Rose Bowl contract, an entire basketball season and multiple rounds of the NCAA Tournament. But finally, we have clarity on the cash.

It’s time to calculate the pot ‘o gold waiting for Washington State and Oregon State.

Once the other 10 schools depart the Pac-12 this summer, the Cougars and Beavers will have sole access to the conference’s assets and revenue.

They have time to plot a course of action, but not an unlimited amount.

the latest from jon wilner​

NCAA rules provide a two-year grace period for conferences gutted by realignment. Once the summer of 2026 arrives, the Pac-12 must have at least eight schools. Otherwise, WSU and OSU must join another conference.

Based on four key revenue streams, the Cougars and Beavers seemingly have enough cash to create strategic flexibility, maintain athletic operations at a reasonable level and attempt to lure other schools into a rebuilt conference.

How much cash?

With the Pac-12 eliminated from the men’s NCAA tournament, we can tally the revenue and assets available during the 2025 and 2026 fiscal years — the crucial 24-month period in which WSU and OSU will be alone in open water.

The revenue due to the conference prior to that period (i.e., this spring) must be shared with the outbound schools, which officially depart at the close of business on Aug. 1, according to the negotiated settlement.

The four primary revenue buckets for the Cougars and Beavers are:

— Conference distributions withheld from the outgoing schools

— College Football Playoff payments

— The Rose Bowl contract

— NCAA Tournament unit distributions

Let’s take them one at a time.

Conference distributions withheld​

Earlier this week, WSU and OSU finalized the negotiated settlement with the 10 outbound universities. Section 2 addresses conference revenue generated in the 2023-24 competition year.

Each of the departing schools will have $5 million withheld in the following timetable:

“The $5,000,000 per Departing Member amount will be withheld on the following schedule: one million dollars ($1,000,000) from each Departing Member’s first Fiscal Year 2024 Distribution; two million dollars ($2,000,000) from each Departing Member’s April Fiscal Year 2024 Distribution; and two million dollars ($2,000,000) from each Departing Member’s June Fiscal Year 2024 Distribution.”

Additionally, each outbound school is responsible for a $1.5 million “supplement contribution” to the conference.

The amount can be withheld from the 2024 distributions this spring or repaid to the conference by Dec. 31. If that deadline isn’t met, then (per the settlement): “The Conference shall be entitled to a binding and enforceable order from the Special Master.”

The math: $6.5 million withheld from 10 schools is $65 million for WSU and OSU.

College Football Playoff payments​

Because of the NCAA’s grace period, the Cougars and Beavers are eligible for their full share of the CFP revenue per the terms of the contract signed a decade ago, when the four-team event was created.

That 12-year contract runs through the 2024 and 2025 seasons. While WSU and OSU will be treated as at-large teams with regard to their access to the playoff, they remain full-share Power Five members — just like the 10 outbound schools.

A full share is roughly $6 million per year.

The math: $6 million for each school for two years is $24 million.

Rose Bowl revenue​

In addition to the CFP payments, the Cougars and Beavers have sole access to the terms of the Rose Bowl’s agreement with the Pac-12, its longtime partner. That deal remains in place for the next two seasons, to coincide with the CFP’s contract cycle.

And it’s a whopper: The Pac-12 receives approximately $50 million annually as part of the agreement with the Granddaddy.

The math: $50 million for two years is $100 million.

NCAA Tournament revenue​

This is the most complicated piece of the cash calculation, with the amount of revenue based on tournament success over a rolling timeframe.

In simplest terms, the process works as follows:

Each game played is worth one unit. Each unit carries a six-figure dollar value paid to the team’s conference over six years, beginning the following spring.

So the money due to the Pac-12 this spring from the NCAA Tournament is based on the units accumulated by all the member schools from 2018-23. And it will be shared by all the schools, since the payment period falls within the 2024 fiscal year.

Sponsored​

But the cash headed to the Pac-12 in the spring of 2025, based on units accumulated in the 2019-24 tournaments, is available only to WSU and OSU. The outbound members won’t take their units with them to their new leagues.

How much? The Pac-12 accumulated the following units:

2019: 7
2020: 0 (no tournament played/no units allocated)
2021: 19
2022: 7
2023: 7
2024: 10

That’s 50 units to be paid next spring, when each unit will carry a value of $350,000 (approximately).

In the spring of 2026, the Pac-12 will be paid for 43 units at $360,000 per unit (approximately).

(WSU and OSU will compete as affiliate members of the West Coast Conference for the next two seasons. The revenue from any NCAA units earned would go solely to the permanent WCC schools, according to the contract.)

The math: 50 units at $350,000 each in the spring of 2025 is $17.5 million, and 43 units at $360,000 each in the spring of 2026 is $15.5 million — for a two-year total of $33 million.

If the Pac-12 exists beyond the summer of 2026, the conference would continue to collect the NCAA units earned to this point through the end of the six-year payout cycle.

But that amount — approximately $30 million — would be distributed from the spring of 2027 through the spring of 2030.

In other words, it would not be available to WSU and OSU during the two-year NCAA grace period, as they stay afloat and work to rebuild the conference.

That said, the ‘Pac-2’ schools have a substantial amount of cash available from their four primary revenue streams.

Conference withholdings: $65 million
CFP payouts: $24 million (approx.)
Rose Bowl: $100 million (approx.)
NCAA units: $33 million

The grand total during the critical 24-month window: roughly $222 million.

It guarantees them nothing, except a fighting chance.

Jon Wilner: jwilner@bayareanewsgroup.com

Thanks for posting that here.

That is a great deal of money for you guys. Just have to wait see now do you rebuild or keep the money and merge. Good luck and congratulations on getting that money resolved.
The thing is, the Pac-2 is reeling. We need that money to fill the gaping holes. What we can offer the MW is an enhanced profile, for what is it worth. As I've opined, there is no downside for y'all to join us. Upside? I think so. But we shouldn't have to beg and pay the MW to take that. Build the best and basically only real conference out West. F-all this coast-to-coast BS. You guys are doing fine but can do better. We need the MW but shouldn't have to spend all of our savings to do it.

This is good for the Pac-2. I really don't see how this helps the MWC.
Well IMHO it gives the Pac-2 financial stability. It gives us the opportunity to work out the reverse merger with the MW. Joining the Pac-whatever can only raise the MW profile. No way would it be a negative. But again IMHO the Pac-2 should not need to spend all of our money begging Gawd knows who to join up with us. Not arrogance, just reality.

Well IMHO it gives the Pac-2 financial stability. It gives us the opportunity to work out the reverse merger with the MW. Joining the Pac-whatever can only raise the MW profile. No way would it be a negative. But again IMHO the Pac-2 should not need to spend all of our money begging Gawd knows who to join up with us. Not arrogance, just reality.
The other option is to keep all of that money while remaining a 2-team league with (soon to become) less attractive schools as the 'main draw.'

The other option is to keep all of that money while remaining a 2-team league with (soon to become) less attractive schools as the 'main draw.'
Tell me about it. Of course none of us know shit about what goes on behind closed door, just a bunch of uninformed fans. It appears that OSU fans think they are too good for the MW. Cougars are blathering about standing pat and/or trying to cobble together some ACC-castoff, multi-division conference. Oh and pay a few of you all to come aboard. In the meantime, the Big-12 traitors left for the same ESPN deal that the then Pac-10 turned down. And the other traitors made major financial concessions to join the B1G and ACC. But

I am on a bit on an island, going on and on about the reverse merger with the MW as the most logical and only real choice. Which in concept is what I thought we agreed to pursue back in December. The WCC interim decision was stupid IMHO. Way to degrade what remains of our stature.

To your point, why shouldn't the Pac-2 keep all of our money. We need it. We've ponied up a chunk to you guys for the scheduling agreement, which IMHO benefits the MW more than the Pac-2.

So, instead of sitting around for 2 years, let's just do this. Get some stability out West and weather whatever shit the East throws at us.

It isn't the job of the two PAC2 schools to pay any of the cost of the MWC teams if they wish to join, but if they go after a selected number of the schools instead of take the entire MWC, or at least 75% (can vote to change rules), then there would be a large cost which some of the MWC couldn't afford, which would likely be a more than the new PAC2 TV contract years income.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It isn't the job of the two PAC2 schools to pay any of the cost of the MWC teams if they wish to join, but if they go after a selected number of the schools instead of take the entire MWC, or at least 75% (can vote to change rules), then there would be a large cost which some of the MWC couldn't afford, which would likely be a more than the new PAC2 TV contract years income.
Exactly why the full reverse merger is the only way to go. Doesn't cost either side anything. If the MW wants to jettison a couple of your low hangers along the way, fine. And I assume a reverse merger would mean the MW would divvy up whatever assets you have (among yourselves), including your future NCAA BB credits.

And to your other post, no f-ing way would the Boise Junior College and Trucking School get any special treatment. In fact, dump their asses along the way. And bring Gloria with you.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There is again a way to have your cake and eat it too.
The buyout from the MW is based off the remaining tv contract. It's roughly 20 mil per school now, likely 10 mil next season, and nothing after that without a new TV contract.
If you poach enough schools that would tank any new TV contract negotiations then it could be practically free to add whichever MW schools that you want. This is something that likely happened with the PAC negotiations last year.
But it sure looks like the PAC 2 has a bunch of capitol to build a new conference and maximize future revenues. If they want to pick and choose to rebuild.
Also if it ends up becoming reverse merger, I'm pretty sure Boise's extra share gets voided. That is a MW thing. Also I don't think a true reverse merger would send any schools packing that would not be a 'merger' at that point.

The buyout from the MW is based off the remaining tv contract. It's roughly 20 mil per school now, likely 10 mil next season, and nothing after that without a new TV contract.
If you poach enough schools that would tank any new TV contract negotiations then it could be practically free to add whichever MW schools that you want. This is something that likely happened with the PAC negotiations last year.
But it sure looks like the PAC 2 has a bunch of capitol to build a new conference and maximize future revenues. If they want to pick and choose to rebuild.
Also if it ends up becoming reverse merger, I'm pretty sure Boise's extra share gets voided. That is a MW thing. Also I don't think a true reverse merger would send any schools packing that would not be a 'merger' at that point.
I believe they get an extra $1.8 million a year for perpetuity of the MWC! As soon as the MWC goes away, that money is gone, and BSU has no other choices. It sucks for them that UNLV is quickly becoming the leader of the conference.

I wish the exit fees would be reduced as you say to $10 million. But, that isn't how it works. The media rights contract doesn't reduce the payout in the last year. There will be a new media contract before the old one expires anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't negotiations going on with our media partners to get increased revenue over the next year with OSU and WSU on our schedules. If that isn't happening then Gloria needs to be fired. If that happens then again, our exit fee goes up. It's a hell of a way for Gloria to keep this conference together. I don't underestimate her.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
And won't WSU and OSU want an extra share?

I wish the exit fees would be reduced as you say to $10 million. But, that isn't how it works. The media rights contract doesn't reduce the payout in the last year. There will be a new media contract before the old one expires anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't negotiations going on with our media partners to get increased revenue over the next year with OSU and WSU on our schedules. If that isn't happening then Gloria needs to be fired. If that happens then again, our exit fee goes up. It's a hell of a way for Gloria to keep this conference together. I don't underestimate her.
Again, the schools need to agree on the new contract. If near half or more of those schools are looking to be part of a rebuilt PAC vs a MW or reverse merger, they will drag their feet on the negotiations. It will become the second worst kept secret of a conference's impending demise second only to the PAC-12.
TV partners will hesitate to offer even a fair deal, if they are also negotiating to rebuild a new PAC at the same time that will be more beneficial for the TV execs and the conferences (at least the PAC).
The PAC will likely want to wait 2 years anyway to see how the ACC shakes out, plus they are pretty much locked in with the WCC until then anyway.
Gloria may be in the same boat as the possible future PAC schools in conference if she is being targeted as well. I'm sure she will show face and get in negotiations with the TV partners, but I doubt a great deal comes out of it. She still needs to do her job, and no doubt she will try, or at least make it look like she is trying.
As for the buyouts, I have not seen the breakdown, but we do know that it is based off the existing contract. That contract is worth less every year until it expires. I am guessing that the buyout would be roughly half next year, but unsure of the specific numbers. Also I am unsure if the leaving schools give advance notice, how much that effects things. But I doubt that it stays 20 mil per school next season.

Last edited:
I believe they get an extra $1.8 million a year for perpetuity of the MWC! As soon as the MWC goes away, that money is gone, and BSU has no other choices. It sucks for them that UNLV is quickly becoming the leader of the conference.
That's the thing with a reverse merger, the MW ceases to exist. I'm sure with the dissolving of the MW in that scenario the Boise bonus could easily be written out.
An extra share of what? The Boise State deal? Hell no. WSU had to fight hard to get a fair shake from our Pac-10/12 brethren years back. We would not try to pull the same BS on the MW schools. We don't have THAT much leverage.

I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out behind those closed doors.

Also I can see that the "founding members" of the PAC could get higher shares too. Though they have a lot of money left over from the PAC so they may not feel like they need to.

I'm sure they could get away with it, as long as leaving the MW is worth the while for the incoming schools financially. The margins wouldn't be huge, so it is possible the PAC may not get much extra if any.

Last edited:
I hope this happens because adding OSU and WSU would be good for our conference overall. But I wonder why they don't stay independent a year or two and use all this cash for NIL to become more attractive to a larger conference?

I hope this happens because adding OSU and WSU would be good for our conference overall. But I wonder why they don't stay independent a year or two and use all this cash for NIL to become more attractive to a larger conference?
Well, first off we can't use any of this cash for NIL. -0-. There are rules ya know.

Second, we basically are independent for 24-25. Paying the MW for games with no chance to be champs. Paying the WCC for BB, can win the championship, but don't get any NCAA credits even if we make it.

Third, we need to bank a bunch of this money to help carry us financially for a few years. If we aren't total idiots.

The larger conferences spoke. They don't want us. Starting to wonder if you guys do either. Shit we can't even convince a Big Sky BB coach to join us......

Well, first off we can't use any of this cash for NIL. -0-. There are rules ya know.

Second, we basically are independent for 24-25. Paying the MW for games with no chance to be champs. Paying the WCC for BB, can win the championship, but don't get any NCAA credits even if we make it.

Third, we need to bank a bunch of this money to help carry us financially for a few years. If we aren't total idiots.

The larger conferences spoke. They don't want us. Starting to wonder if you guys do either. Shit we can't even convince a Big Sky BB coach to join us......
1. You're welcome to join the MWC anytime. We want you. But, that isn't what the Pac-2 want.
2. We are just waiting to see if you are going to Reverse Merge or pick us apart. That isn't up to us.
3. You guys may just want to wait it out hoping for an invite to a P5 league. That's cool. And, good luck with that.

Everything is all up to you.

I didn't realize there were rules around that. It seems like the wild wild west nowadays. They actually have rules? And enforce them too???

Schools can't fund the NIL's. Money has to come from outside the institutions. Beyond that, it is the wild west.
I'm sure it's just a matter of book keeping. If an employee from the school had a 2nd job, or oversees a NIL group pro bono, is that against the rules? I'd assume that they're finagling around the system in a lot of ways to where the school isn't directly paying them, but they're still overseeing the NIL stuff.

UGH.

I was really hoping the unlimited transfer rule would not stick.
I thought the legal argument against it was flimsy at best, and having unlimited transfers will reduce the quality of the product in all sports. It was also a way to reduce some of the ridiculous transferring.

As for Pac 12? well, duh.

I wonder why I kept saying that Oregon State and Washington State would come down to our level. It's not a 'step up' to go to the Pac "G5" now. Sure, when USC and UCLA were there, I'd have loved to have joined.

Those schools are going to lose a lot of players and coaches.
Being included in a new rebuilt PAC would not be a notable step up competition wise, but it could provide an opportunity in getting a decent increase % wise in terms of TV revenue.
Still a huge step below the power schools, but possibly a step up from the rest of G5 which is something.
If it is a straight up merger, then it would still be a pay bump, but it would be marginal at best.

Big 12 would be great, but I just don't see it. Not for a while at least. They aren't taking any lesser schools (not already P4) until the ACC thing shakes out. And that could be years away.

Being included in a new rebuilt PAC would not be a notable step up competition wise, but it could provide an opportunity in getting a decent increase % wise in terms of TV revenue.
Still a huge step below the power schools, but possibly a step up from the rest of G5 which is something.
If it is a straight up merger, then it would still be a pay bump, but it would be marginal at best.

Big 12 would be great, but I just don't see it. Not for a while at least. They aren't taking any lesser schools (not already P4) until the ACC thing shakes out. And that could be years away.
I don't mind the move to Pac12 if we can drop Boise from getting that additional $1.8 million each year.

I don't mind the move to Pac12 if we can drop Boise from getting that additional $1.8 million each year.
I think that is pretty much gauranteed at this point.
Either PAC will rebuild and likely include them without the extra money, or it will be a reverse merger where the MW ceases to exist with their extra money disappearing with it.

I dont feel they are in a position of power any longer to negotiate more favorable $$ at this point.. Look at their major sports programs bleeding talent and staffs.. ADs and Coaches leaving, players leaving, etc. Their only holding card is the "name" of the PAC conference and the holding out hope that they can get enough programs from various conferences to "join" them in name to create a new version of the PAC conference, with whatever future financial $ payouts they have coming to either help build the conference through buyouts or to line their individual coffers to offset the losses they will likely see due to loss of TV $ revenue compared to the Pac 12. If the MWC schools negotiate against themselves like they did for Boise who was basically stuck in no mans land itd be a huge L.

I dont feel they are in a position of power any longer to negotiate more favorable $$ at this point.. Look at their major sports programs bleeding talent and staffs.. ADs and Coaches leaving, players leaving, etc. Their only holding card is the "name" of the PAC conference and the holding out hope that they can get enough programs from various conferences to "join" them in name to create a new version of the PAC conference, with whatever future financial $ payouts they have coming to either help build the conference through buyouts or to line their individual coffers to offset the losses they will likely see due to loss of TV $ revenue compared to the Pac 12. If the MWC schools negotiate against themselves like they did for Boise who was basically stuck in no mans land itd be a huge L.
This.

I agree MW schools should try to negotiate equal payouts in a new PAC, if that is what ends up happening.

But...

If a new PAC is to happen and they try to build with the best remaining markets from the MW and perhaps elsewhere, what should UNLV do? If offered a substantial increase in TV funds over what they would currently be getting, but would have to concede a higher cut to the original members, do they walk? That would be risky.

Both sides do need each other, but it is hard to decline a bump in pay, especially if other schools agree to those terms and you are left in a much worse conference because of it. Obviously the PAC needs schools to stay alive as well.

I know I'm a bit biased... but, No one is getting a bigger TV deal than what the MWC as it stands will be able to negotiate in the next year or 2 without Las Vegas. Where we once were an afterthought of TV markets, Las Vegas is now a premier market for sports. It doesnt matter the current or past relevancy of UNLV athletics, its the market that will matter. No TV executive is paying a significant enough bump for Fresno, Corvallis, Pullman, and Boise. Theres not a large enough national relevance to those markets. SD maybe, but Las Vegas is a brand in and of itself. The Big 12 is moving its media days from Dallas to Vegas for a reason. The Big 10 likely follows. So I dont think there's a market to negotiate for the any substantial TV funds without Las Vegas.

I know I'm a bit biased... but, No one is getting a bigger TV deal than what the MWC as it stands will be able to negotiate in the next year or 2 without Las Vegas. Where we once were an afterthought of TV markets, Las Vegas is now a premier market for sports. It doesnt matter the current or past relevancy of UNLV athletics, its the market that will matter. No TV executive is paying a significant enough bump for Fresno, Corvallis, Pullman, and Boise. Theres not a large enough national relevance to those markets. SD maybe, but Las Vegas is a brand in and of itself. The Big 12 is moving its media days from Dallas to Vegas for a reason. The Big 10 likely follows. So I dont think there's a market to negotiate for the any substantial TV funds without Las Vegas.
fair point, UNLV probably has some more negotiating power than some of the others.

But when it comes to TV contracts in college sports, market share is much more valuable than the market itself.
San Diego has a better market and market share, so they have more pull than anyone else. Boise is likely next at least for football. They are still holding on to a bit of a brand even though Boise itself is a small market. There is a reason they still tend to get on TV more than the rest for football even without being as dominant of a team recently, more people around the country want to watch them play. How does that play out over the next few years? Hard to say, you would think that it could drop off.

Until more fans watch UNLV on TV the won't have as much pull. But yes, there is something to being a in a good market, even if the market share is not great.

fair point, UNLV probably has some more negotiating power than some of the others.

But when it comes to TV contracts in college sports, market share is much more valuable than the market itself.
San Diego has a better market and market share, so they have more pull than anyone else. Boise is likely next at least for football. They are still holding on to a bit of a brand even though Boise itself is a small market. There is a reason they still tend to get on TV more than the rest for football even without being as dominant of a team recently, more people around the country want to watch them play. How does that play out over the next few years? Hard to say, you would think that it could drop off.

Until more fans watch UNLV on TV the won't have as much pull. But yes, there is something to being a in a good market, even if the market share is not great.
tv market is antiquated and overrated in 2024.

Nobody watches cable except grandma and grandpa.

Well tv contracts are bigger than ever.
When I saw TV I mean generally broadcasting markets. People may not have traditional TV anymore, but they are still watching sports. Mostly on broadcast networks.
It is still the same market just with different methods of delivery.

I wonder why I kept saying that Oregon State and Washington State would come down to our level. It's not a 'step up' to go to the Pac "G5" now. Sure, when USC and UCLA were there, I'd have loved to have joined.

Those schools are going to lose a lot of players and coaches.
It's happening..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT