ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic candidates...

I love that the guy is all about his alma mater but damn that was a stupid thing to say publicly. I think it ultimately did lead to his firing.

He didn't get a fair chance in Seattle. He might have done well if given another year but when the opportunity to land Pete Carroll presents itself you have to take it.

I think he'd put together a good staff but I would hope he goes with some college guys and not an NFL staff.

Jim Mora is the plain, in the variety pack of instant oatmeal.

You get past your maple and cinnamon and fruit and all that's left is plain.

You're happy you still had some oatmeal left. Just not excited about it.

Reactions: Rod_the_Rebel

Ha- maybe that's true, but when you've been eating $hit sandwiches for the last 2 decades at UNLV some plain instant oatmeal seems like a Thanksgiving meal.

I think he could hire a very competent staff. No argument there.

When did Vick get in trouble and suspended? Wasn't that the year after Mora left? That might have played into the Falcons rapid decline..

The trend in Atlanta was likely concerning.

11/9/7 wins.

I'm not against a Mora hiring. Plenty of things to like. Considering our previous hire had zero FBS experience Mora's resume is plenty solid.
Yep that was the year. Though I think the decline was more the NFL figuring out how to defend Vick than coaching as they didn't have a ton of talent. I don't remember a single player outside of Roddy White from that era. Also won't hold Seattle against him as they sucked when he took over. UCLA is another school with unrealistic expectations. I believe they made a bowl game and were ranked in the top 25 all but one year? Arguably the best results there since Donahue (though the guy after him whose name I can't recall did pretty well a few years). I don't think Mora is taking us to the top 25 but I can envision a few bowl games and more success than we have had in a long time.

Probably a fair comparison as long as you add that about 25% of the strawberry and maple flavored packets in the box turn out delicious while 75% of them contain strychnine as an added ingredient.

There are some really good names on that list. Jim Mora being the hire would solidify the football team's next generation of failure.

Reactions: ricovegas
Wow, Jim Mora is way more qualified than some of the total shots in the dark like a FCS coach and the coordinators. Not getting why your so negative on him. That his track record was not perfect? Plenty of coaches have way worse track records than him.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Houston Nutt left Boise after one season, and it was 4-7. How he parlayed that into the Arkansas job, I'll never know. He blew out in the middle of the night without even saying goodbye to the team. Not interested in UNLV hiring a guy like this.

Last edited:
Wow, Jim Mora is way more qualified than some of the total shots in the dark like a FCS coach and the coordinators. Not getting why your so negative on him. That his track record was not perfect? Plenty of coaches have way worse track records than him.

He's has a solid resume..

Would he be a good fit? Hard to say...

Here's another list by some Youtuber who appears to have a big following:

The most interesting thing I learned from this was that Norv Turner sent his son to play for John Robinson at UNLV.

• Nick Rolovich
  • Jim Mora
  • Todd Graham
  • Marcus Arroyo
  • Jedd Fisch
  • Shane Beamer (Oklahoma Assistant, DRF connection)
  • Troy Taylor (Sac St HC, former Utah OC)
  • Jay Hill
  • Scott Turner (former UNLV QB, QB coach at Pathers, Norv's son)
  • Morgan Scalley (Utah DC)

Last edited:
Here's another list by some Youtuber who appears to have a big following:

The most interesting thing I learned from this was that Norv Turner sent his son to play for John Robinson at UNLV.

Nick Rolovich
Jim Mora
Todd Graham
Marcus Arroyo
Jedd Fisch
Shane Beamer (Oklahoma Assistant, DRF connection)
Troy Taylor (Sac St HC, former Utah OC)
Jay Hill
Scott Turner (former UNLV QB, QB coach at Pathers, Norv's son)
Morgan Scalley (Utah DC)

Saw that this morning.

Interesting.

Houston Nutt left Boise after one season, and it was 4-7. How he parlayed that into the Arkansas job, I'll never know. He blew out in the middle of the night without even saying goodbye to the team. Not interested in UNLV hiring a guy like this.

He's been out of the game too long. I don't mind a guy that's taken a year or two off but he hasn't been coaching or recruiting kids in over 8 years. He needs to stay in the booth at this point and keep that cbs sports job. Best case he turns out to be another Bob Davie.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
He's been out of the game too long. I don't mind a guy that's taken a year or two off but he hasn't been coaching or recruiting kids in over 8 years. He needs to stay in the booth at this point and keep that cbs sports job. Best case he turns out to be another Bob Davie.

He'd be fun at press conferences.

That's about it...

Oh..

And the inevitable 'Nutt' jokes.

Reactions: 220reb and dcut03
He'd be fun at press conferences.

That's about it...

Oh..

And the inevitable 'Nutt' jokes.

If UNLV being bad is absolutely inevitable, "Nutt" Jokes can definitely help add something to the depressing cycle of suck that is UNLV football.

And yes, I did just put suck and Nutt in the same sentence.

I'm already feeling better.

With early signing and junior college signing dec 18, doesn't this make UNLV to have new coach announced next week? And coach would have to have at least a few guys ready to be on staff and recruit immediately. So does not that wipe out anyone from any team that still has a chance for football playoffs as they would not be able to leave their teams till dec 8 when championship games
Done and playoffs announced?

With early signing and junior college signing dec 18, doesn't this make UNLV to have new coach announced next week? And coach would have to have at least a few guys ready to be on staff and recruit immediately. So does not that wipe out anyone from any team that still has a chance for football playoffs as they would not be able to leave their teams till dec 8 when championship games
Done and playoffs announced?
I think you're right in the recruiting aspect.

IMO, DRF already had her lineup of prospects months before Sanchez was fired. Most likely at the end of last year. I think getting a coach early enough to impact recruiting will be important to her but not enough to change the list or it's order.

If the coach isn't coaching currently I think we'll hear as soon as the fine points of a contract can be negotiated. Maybe the end of next week. I think the same holds true for assistants or coordinators. A head coach will let that person go to take a head coaching job. But if she wants an up and coming FCS head coach who is in the FCS playoffs then she may have to wait quite a while (second week of Jan). Same holds true for a bowl bound head coach.

Weber State plays their first game on Dec. 7. If they keep winning it goes for another 5 weeks.

I think you're right in the recruiting aspect.

IMO, DRF already had her lineup of prospects months before Sanchez was fired. Most likely at the end of last year. I think getting a coach early enough to impact recruiting will be important to her but not enough to change the list or it's order.

If the coach isn't coaching currently I think we'll hear as soon as the fine points of a contract can be negotiated. Maybe the end of next week. I think the same holds true for assistants or coordinators. A head coach will let that person go to take a head coaching job. But if she wants an up and coming FCS head coach who is in the FCS playoffs then she may have to wait quite a while (second week of Jan). Same holds true for a bowl bound head coach.

Weber State plays their first game on Dec. 7. If they keep winning it goes for another 5 weeks.
I don’t think this will take long at all once the season ends…

Someone said Weber State coach may not be available for weeks depending how far they go in fcs playoffs. It would depend on how he wanted to go out, but North Dakota State coach last year left in December for Kansas State even though North Dakota State played till early January

If you're talking about Schiano, it was reported that financial terms were agreed upon... $32M over 8 years... but that his other demands were not met.

The $4M/year would currently be 10th in the Big-10 (11th if Minnesota's PJ Fleck gets his deserved bump from his current $3.6M/year).

I don't think we're going to have much horsepower trying to lure teams with Big-10 options.

Wow didn’t think he would get that kind of $$

It's being reported that Schiano has reached a deal with Rutgers. Reportedly both sides were always in agreement on $4M/year, but were haggling on 6 or 8 years and some other details like facilities progress:
  • An 8-year contract worth $4 million per year, with $400,000 retention bonuses after Years 4 and 6.
  • A buyout starting at $25.2 million.
  • The freedom to walk without penalty if the school did not improve its football facilities by 2023.
  • Unlimited private jet use.
  • A staff salary pool starting at $7.7 million, increasing by at least 3 percent per year.
  • Other standard bonuses and perks common to coaching contracts at the Power 5 level.
The $7.7M for staff salary pool will put Rutgers near the level of the top teams in the Big10. For example, the current top Ohio State staff don't make as much as Urban Meyer's crew did, but if you add up their salaries their in that range:

Greg Mattison Co-defensive coordinator $1,100,000
Jeff Hafley Co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach $950,000
Kevin Wilson Offensive coordinator/tight ends coach $950,000
Mike Yurcich Passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach $950,000
Larry Johnson Associate head coach/defensive line coach $900,000
Tony Alford Running backs coach/assistant head coach for offense $600,000
Greg Studrawa Offensive line coach $600,000
Al Washington Linebackers coach $500,000
Matt Barnes Special teams coordinator/assistant secondary coach $350,000
Brian Hartline Wide receivers coach $345,000

Reactions: BostonRebel
Is
It's being reported that Schiano has reached a deal with Rutgers. Reportedly both sides were always in agreement on $4M/year, but were haggling on 6 or 8 years and some other details like facilities progress:
  • An 8-year contract worth $4 million per year, with $400,000 retention bonuses after Years 4 and 6.
  • A buyout starting at $25.2 million.
  • The freedom to walk without penalty if the school did not improve its football facilities by 2023.
  • Unlimited private jet use.
  • A staff salary pool starting at $7.7 million, increasing by at least 3 percent per year.
  • Other standard bonuses and perks common to coaching contracts at the Power 5 level.
The $7.7M for staff salary pool will put Rutgers near the level of the top teams in the Big10. For example, the current top Ohio State staff don't make as much as Urban Meyer's crew did, but if you add up their salaries their in that range:

Greg Mattison Co-defensive coordinator $1,100,000
Jeff Hafley Co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach $950,000
Kevin Wilson Offensive coordinator/tight ends coach $950,000
Mike Yurcich Passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach $950,000
Larry Johnson Associate head coach/defensive line coach $900,000
Tony Alford Running backs coach/assistant head coach for offense $600,000
Greg Studrawa Offensive line coach $600,000
Al Washington Linebackers coach $500,000
Matt Barnes Special teams coordinator/assistant secondary coach $350,000
Brian Hartline Wide receivers coach $345,000
is that all?

Chris Peterson is stepping down from Washington... any info on why? Would love to see DRF go after him

Joe Arrigo is smoking bleach out of a bong if he thinks Shane Beamer would take the job here lol. Does this guy follow college football at all?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT