ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic candidates...

Joe Arrigo is smoking bleach out of a bong if he thinks Shane Beamer would take the job here lol. Does this guy follow college football at all?
Why wouldn’t he? He’s never been a HC. Are you, perhaps, thinking of his dad, Frank?

Maybe she already has her guy and fired Sanchez a week early to let the mystery guy know she was serious and that there was no question about a vacancy for 2020. Maybe she had this same guy lined up for this year LAST year, but got overruled and of last season forcing CTS to stay....so we need to look at who was on the hot seat LAST season and got to keep their job as possible replacements for this coming season. I'm not saying any of that is true, but it's a line of coaches that have not been discussed yet. Just trying to broaden the minds a little. I've also been drinking heavily. So, who was on the hot seat LAST season and got to keep coaching this year?

ESPN runs a story..

'I can confirm'...
Everyone seems to do that nowadays. It’s why journalism is a sham. A few really good writers out there that are old school.

The rest of it, PC conglomerates, fake news and no school “journalists” that essentially function as a flow through hub. But they want the props.

Man, I tried it for a couple years early 2000. I just couldn’t do it. It was sooooo.... I don’t know. Fraternal. It wasn’t all bad but the gist of it just wasn’t my speed at all. Too many games and hoops ...

I trust when Mark Anderson of the RJ says something because he’s vetted his source at the time. Is he 100% on what he says? Nope. Nobody is. But he’s done his due diligence prior to any announcement.

Graney will say anything to get clicks. If “the sun rises in the West and sets in the East” gets clicks he’ll make an argument supporting that POV.

That’s part of why print media has taken a hit. Most of it is not facts, just the opinion of the authors.

I trust when Mark Anderson of the RJ says something because he’s vetted his source at the time. Is he 100% on what he says? Nope. Nobody is. But he’s done his due diligence prior to any announcement.

Graney will say anything to get clicks. If “the sun rises in the West and sets in the East” gets clicks he’ll make an argument supporting that POV.

That’s part of why print media has taken a hit. Most of it is not facts, just the opinion of the authors.
There are definitely guys who do their work. Then there are guys who think they’re important and try to be and make the news. The latter group has enveloped most of the media. It’s pretty gross and it keeps me away. Which is unfair to the guys that do the actual work. It used to be a very professional and even noble job. That has been obliterated.

It is pretty much the internet’s fault though.

I'd like to see Troy Taylor or Beau Baldwin.

As far as Petersen (not Peterson), it's long been thought that Lake would eventually be the HC. Nobody thought that it would be now, most thought 3-5 years down the road. I don't see Petersen going to another big school, if he coaches again at all.

Thanks but I don’t get the joke of that at all. I’ll admit that I don’t watch any of the “political” channels or the local news so if they use it in reference to something then I don’t know about that, either.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Why wouldn’t he? He’s never been a HC. Are you, perhaps, thinking of his dad, Frank?
1. Because he's in line for a head coaching position at much more prestigious programs
2. His recruiting connections are in the DMV/SEC. He couldn't recruit to UNLV and would be foolish to try
3. He wouldn't last two years here (see post #1)
4. His name is being tossed out there because of a connection to DRF (probably to prop up our program a little). Without those connections I imagine he would laugh and hang up the phone.
5. The title of the thread is "realistic coaching candidates". Let's get realistic

Reactions: j. spilotro
1. Because he's in line for a head coaching position at much more prestigious programs
2. His recruiting connections are in the DMV/SEC. He couldn't recruit to UNLV and would be foolish to try
3. He wouldn't last two years here (see post #1)
4. His name is being tossed out there because of a connection to DRF (probably to prop up our program a little). Without those connections I imagine he would laugh and hang up the phone.
5. The title of the thread is "realistic coaching candidates". Let's get realistic

Ok. Was just wondering what your reasoning was. I personally don’t think he’s in line anywhere (including here). Guy has never even been a coordinator so other than his last name being Beamer, I don’t see the allure personally.

Ok. Was just wondering what your reasoning was. I personally don’t think he’s in line anywhere (including here). Guy has never even been a coordinator so other than his last name being Beamer, I don’t see the allure personally.
I can state with a very high degree of certainty that he will be the leading candidate to take over should South Carolina decide to move on from Will Muschamp. Although having never been a coordinator, he carries the title of Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma, which carries a ton of weight.

I can state with a very high degree of certainty that he will be the leading candidate to take over should South Carolina decide to move on from Will Muschamp. Although having never been a coordinator, he carries the title of Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma, which carries a ton of weight.
Understood. Never heard his name connected to South Carolina and figured if he was that highly regarded that his name would be connected to jobs like Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc. Other than Feldman connecting the dots to DRF here, I haven’t heard his name at 1 other opening. But if you have inside information to South Carolina, I have no reason not to believe you.

Reactions: karaoke_jesus
Understood. Never heard his name connected to South Carolina and figured if he was that highly regarded that his name would be connected to jobs like Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc. Other than Feldman connecting the dots to DRF here, I haven’t heard his name at 1 other opening. But if you have inside information to South Carolina, I have no reason not to believe you.
Makes sense from Carolina's perspective, in that he recruits that area heavily, as well as Georgia

Waiting on a specific P5 HC opening is playing the long game, and when it opens up there will likely be tough competition emerge from coaches with proven head coaching experience. Beamer is actually an Assistant HC and position coach, which is less prestigious and lower paying than being an associate head coach. There are 5 guys at Oklahoma that make as much or more than Beamer... he might consider this "stepping stone" job that would probably triple his salary and put "head coach" on his resume.

More likely than a move to SC or a G5 HC spot for Beamer would be joining Lincoln Riley's Dallas Cowboy coaching staff.... or at least letting that play out since it is a much shorter wait than the South Carolina job.

Waiting on a specific P5 HC opening is playing the long game, and when it opens up there will likely be tough competition emerge from coaches with proven head coaching experience. Beamer is actually an Assistant HC and position coach, which is less prestigious and lower paying than being an associate head coach. There are 5 guys at Oklahoma that make as much or more than Beamer... he might consider this "stepping stone" job that would probably triple his salary and put "head coach" on his resume.

More likely than a move to SC or a G5 HC spot for Beamer would be joining Lincoln Riley's Dallas Cowboy coaching staff.... or at least letting that play out since it is a much shorter wait than the South Carolina job.
I'm not so sure. Muschamp is on pretty precarious footing there. Unless that Dallas spot opens up this year, of course. Regardless of the potentials, UNLV does not factor in to any of them.

Bill Clark is going to get paid. The Alabama news made him a hero. I saw more coverage of him than the Auburn coach. Should get looks from the SEC.

I see someone mentioned that Joe Arrigo guy and that Oklahoma coach. Don’t take those guys seriously at all. I can’t believe how much false stuff they put out there. I think they just want to get hits for their site. They literally just make stuff up. Pitiful...

I see someone mentioned that Joe Arrigo guy and that Oklahoma coach. Don’t take those guys seriously at all. I can’t believe how much false stuff they put out there. I think they just want to get hits for their site. They literally just make stuff up. Pitiful...

Shane Beamer is son of Frank Beamer. Desiree worked with Frank Beamer at Va Tech.

All he did was play seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.

It's a pretty easy name to throw on a list based on connections.

In fact this guy did a week or so back...

Reactions: RebelinWA
When he was here with Caleb Herring, the offense was legit and the rebels went bowling that year with 7 wins. He brought Herring back to QB and put a magical season together. He knows offense. And with the talent UNLV has, they could win 7-8 games. IMO

When he was here with Caleb Herring, the offense was legit and the rebels went bowling that year with 7 wins. He brought Herring back to QB and put a magical season together. He knows offense. And with the talent UNLV has, they could win 7-8 games. IMO

Tim...

This is not where your resume goes...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I would argue that was more Caleb and Tim Cornett shining. Remember that they started Nick Sherry for the first 3 games that year and the guy played abysmal. When they switched to Caleb after being down 21-0 at home to CMU in week 3, that's when it turned. Caleb and Tim Cornett carried that team. That was the year Cornett broke the Mike Thomas school rushing record for a career. Also Devante Davis was an absolute monster that season. If memory serves, the following year they had Davis and Boyd and a different QB (can't remember who it was?) and a new RB... nothing materialized and regressed to a 2-win team.

Short version: I don't know if that was Rosie or Caleb who made that thing so successful in 2013.

Everyone always forgets that the last time UNLV went to a bowl game, they didn't beat a single team with a winning record, which showed when they got blown out in the bowl game.

Reactions: MauiRebel
https://footballscoop.com/news/update-as-unlvs-search-progresses/

The other day we provided an update on UNLV, where we had been hearing that athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois has been “on the hunt for a young, up and coming coordinator” in the mold of the next Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day.

This search is headed towards a hire, and the coaches we continue to hear are in it fit the description of young, up and coming coordinator.

A well traveled play caller, Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo has had the offensive coordinator title at San Jose State, Wyoming, Cal, Southern Miss, and Oregon dating back to 2007, with a stint as the Tampa Bay Bucs’ quarterbacks coach in there for a season in 2014. Arroyo is considered a very sharp offensive mind who has worked under Mike Gundy, Todd Monken, Jeff Tedford, and Mario Cristobal during his time as an assistant and coordinator.

The other coach we continue to hear involved in the search process is former Maryland offensive coordinator and interim head coach Matt Canada. A few years ago, Canada was one of the hottest names on the coaching market, leaving Pitt to become one of the highest paid coordinators in college football at LSU in 2018. Philosophical differences with Ed Orgeron led to him leaving after a season and he ended up at Maryland. While stepping in during very difficult circumstances to lead the Terps, Canada nearly led Maryland to a top 10 upset of Ohio State in their second to last week of the season. Canada has spent this past season away from the sidelines after leading the Terps to a 5-7 mark to close the season, and the Terps (of course) decided to hire Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley for the job.

Reed-Francois has spoken with quite a number of people during this search. We don’t believe Arroyo and Canada are the only two still in consideration, but they are in it as this search appears headed towards a hire.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT