ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic candidates...

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-as-unlvs-search-progresses/

The other day we provided an update on UNLV, where we had been hearing that athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois has been “on the hunt for a young, up and coming coordinator” in the mold of the next Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day.

This search is headed towards a hire, and the coaches we continue to hear are in it fit the description of young, up and coming coordinator.

A well traveled play caller, Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo has had the offensive coordinator title at San Jose State, Wyoming, Cal, Southern Miss, and Oregon dating back to 2007, with a stint as the Tampa Bay Bucs’ quarterbacks coach in there for a season in 2014. Arroyo is considered a very sharp offensive mind who has worked under Mike Gundy, Todd Monken, Jeff Tedford, and Mario Cristobal during his time as an assistant and coordinator.

The other coach we continue to hear involved in the search process is former Maryland offensive coordinator and interim head coach Matt Canada. A few years ago, Canada was one of the hottest names on the coaching market, leaving Pitt to become one of the highest paid coordinators in college football at LSU in 2018. Philosophical differences with Ed Orgeron led to him leaving after a season and he ended up at Maryland. While stepping in during very difficult circumstances to lead the Terps, Canada nearly led Maryland to a top 10 upset of Ohio State in their second to last week of the season. Canada has spent this past season away from the sidelines after leading the Terps to a 5-7 mark to close the season, and the Terps (of course) decided to hire Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley for the job.

Reed-Francois has spoken with quite a number of people during this search. We don’t believe Arroyo and Canada are the only two still in consideration, but they are in it as this search appears headed towards a hire.
Saw that. Interesting name. Thought he OK his year as interim coach considering the circumstances. Other than that though, wouldn’t be my first choice since he’s never coached out west. Hiring the right assistant coaches would be vital for him to succeed IMO

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Saw that. Interesting name. Thought he OK his year as interim coach considering the circumstances. Other than that though, wouldn’t be my first choice since he’s never coached out west. Hiring the right assistant coaches would be vital for him to succeed IMO

Had not seen his name anywhere.

That would be a very outside the box hire.

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-as-unlvs-search-progresses/

The other day we provided an update on UNLV, where we had been hearing that athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois has been “on the hunt for a young, up and coming coordinator” in the mold of the next Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day.

This search is headed towards a hire, and the coaches we continue to hear are in it fit the description of young, up and coming coordinator.

A well traveled play caller, Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo has had the offensive coordinator title at San Jose State, Wyoming, Cal, Southern Miss, and Oregon dating back to 2007, with a stint as the Tampa Bay Bucs’ quarterbacks coach in there for a season in 2014. Arroyo is considered a very sharp offensive mind who has worked under Mike Gundy, Todd Monken, Jeff Tedford, and Mario Cristobal during his time as an assistant and coordinator.

The other coach we continue to hear involved in the search process is former Maryland offensive coordinator and interim head coach Matt Canada. A few years ago, Canada was one of the hottest names on the coaching market, leaving Pitt to become one of the highest paid coordinators in college football at LSU in 2018. Philosophical differences with Ed Orgeron led to him leaving after a season and he ended up at Maryland. While stepping in during very difficult circumstances to lead the Terps, Canada nearly led Maryland to a top 10 upset of Ohio State in their second to last week of the season. Canada has spent this past season away from the sidelines after leading the Terps to a 5-7 mark to close the season, and the Terps (of course) decided to hire Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley for the job.

Reed-Francois has spoken with quite a number of people during this search. We don’t believe Arroyo and Canada are the only two still in consideration, but they are in it as this search appears headed towards a hire.

I'm trying to figure out a connection to Canada here...

Makes no sense regionally.

He was viewed as an up and coming coordinator. Does have one season as a HC even if only as an interim.

We need a guy that’s been in the pros and has coached in college..

I'm trying to figure out a connection to Canada here...

Makes no sense regionally.

He was viewed as an up and coming coordinator. Does have one season as a HC even if only as an interim.
His agent has been throwing his name out for every job opening available. Notoriously difficult person to work with/for, though. Even if he is a supposed offensive genius

I'll be disappointed if CSU ends up with Butch. Another solid coach coming to a MWC school. Too bad DRF would rather prove she can find the next hot up-and-comer instead of just hiring the best coach that's available.

I'll be disappointed if CSU ends up with Butch. Another solid coach coming to a MWC school. Too bad DRF would rather prove she can find the next hot up-and-comer instead of just hiring the best coach that's available.

This would be disappointing.

If they can offer more than UNLV, not much we can say. Money talks....

It's a good job. New facilities. New Stadium.

If true, you have to take your hat off to CSU for taking their search seriously!
Unlike UNLV who is looking to hire an OC that was more than likely getting fired at the end of the year!

More than likely Jones was never contacted and that is the stupidity of those in charge here at UNLV!

Arroyo is low hanging fruit, should have reached higher than him!

Reactions: willlevi
I tried to tell you it was going to go this route.

The fact that the AD is leaning towards him doesn't make it a good hire by her, hell he was rumored to be replaced at season's end!

Not the guy I would put at the top of the pile!

UNLV is a freaking joke!

Reactions: j. spilotro
His track record is one year as OC at every stop he has coached, that alone says something.
I give any stats that Oregon has to Herbert being the QB and the talent the ducks have around him, not Arroyo!

Reactions: willlevi
ADVERTISEMENT