ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic candidates...

This probably doesn't belong under the thread "Realistic Candidates..." but Mark Anderson's LVRJ article tonight listing five potential candidates really made me wonder...

Anderson says UNLV would be willing to pay about $900k/year, then went on to list Clay Helton as one of his five names for UNLV to hire. WTF? Helton is still employed by USC, and is under contract for 3 seasons after this one at about $3.75M/year, meaning his buyout would dwarf anything a G5 job would pay him.

This probably doesn't belong under the thread "Realistic Candidates..." but Mark Anderson's LVRJ article tonight listing five potential candidates really made me wonder...

Anderson says UNLV would be willing to pay about $900k/year, then went on to list Clay Helton as one of his five names for UNLV to hire. WTF? Helton is still employed by USC, and is under contract for 3 seasons after this one at about $3.75M/year, meaning his buyout would dwarf anything a G5 job would pay him.
If all we pay is 900000.Then I give up.

I don't think Clay Helton is realistic, but if the Fertittas pony up..

I don't think Clay Helton is realistic, but if the Fertittas pony up..
Why do people think that the Fertittas are married to UNLV?

Dad built a tennis complex long ago.

They gave big money for the facility because their buddy, who they got the job for, had the head coaching job.

They aren’t overly philanthropical to UNLV. The Fertittas aren’t our T Boone. Do you think that little old “UNLV” enters their thought process on a daily basis? No, it doesn’t.

Reactions: 220reb
Why do people think that the Fertittas are married to UNLV?

Dad built a tennis complex long ago.

They gave big money for the facility because their buddy, who they got the job for, had the head coaching job.

They aren’t overly philanthropical to UNLV. The Fertittas aren’t our T Boone. Do you think that little old “UNLV” enters their thought process on a daily basis? No, it doesn’t.

Fertittas are also boosters for USC, USD, and Notre Dame so UNLV has to compete for a share.

I had been waiting for UNLV to shrewdly start scheduling Houston to get some rivalry going with the Houston branch of the Fertittas, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Exactly..
I just looked at his Tennessee results, 3 bowl games in 5 seasons 3-0 with two top 25 rankings. Do some of these schools realize that not every school in the SEC, Big 12, Pac12, ACC and Big 10 can compete for a national championship? 4 teams out of 50+ schools have a chance yet all 50+ fire coaches when they aren't one of the four. I crack up when I hear about Michigan firing Harbaugh. He has disappointed vs expectations but maybe they should check his record vs the previous coaches there. Some of these schools need a reality check.

I just looked at his Tennessee results, 3 bowl games in 5 seasons 3-0 with two top 25 rankings. Do some of these schools realize that not every school in the SEC, Big 12, Pac12, ACC and Big 10 can compete for a national championship? 4 teams out of 50+ schools have a chance yet all 50+ fire coaches when they aren't one of the four. I crack up when I hear about Michigan firing Harbaugh. He has disappointed vs expectations but maybe they should check his record vs the previous coaches there. Some of these schools need a reality check.

Agree...Maybe he wasn't liked behind the scenes or there was turmoil...

Don't know..

Yes, it's insane now with the expectations at some of these P5 schools. Guys are getting fired because everyone thinks their school should be as good as Alabama and making the playoffs regularly. A lot of these "Retread" names that don't excite some Rebel fans are actually good coaches.

I wonder where Anderson got the $900k number. That would be the worst paid coach in the American Athletic, 7th in Conference USA, and just top tier of the Sun Belt.
I really think it will be north of that. Whether UNLV gets it right or not, who knows, I’d bet against it. But I do believe UNLV fully realizes this is truly “last chance”. If next falls flat on their face and UNLV loses a lot of money in the process ... without any power conference .... it will be effectively over. It’s seriously going to take money to make money on this one unless they want to roll the dice as they have with 7 of the last 8 coaches.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Sanchez is owed $600,000 next year so I have a hard time seeing more money thrown on the table. There isn't an athletic budget available to pay out $2.1 million next year.
Las Vegas also has to hitch a horse to UNLV football no matter what happens in the future to fill the event schedule at the $2 billion stadium. I can't see a throw in the towel option regardless of future results.
They also financed another $16 million in loans for the football complex.

Last edited:
Sanchez is owed $600,000 next year so I have a hard time seeing more money thrown on the table. There isn't an athletic budget available to pay out $2.1 million next year.
Las Vegas also has to hitch a horse to UNLV football no matter what happens in the future to fill the event schedule at the $2 billion stadium. I can't see a throw in the towel option regardless of future results.
They also financed another $16 million in loans for the football complex.
You do know that the deal with the new stadium/Raiders brings in extra cash, correct?

Wow, he must have wanted some big $$. There goes my pipe dream of him coming here lol.

He could still end up there.

Saw somewhere Butch Jones might be in the mix for Rutgers...

If you're talking about Schiano, it was reported that financial terms were agreed upon... $32M over 8 years... but that his other demands were not met.

The $4M/year would currently be 10th in the Big-10 (11th if Minnesota's PJ Fleck gets his deserved bump from his current $3.6M/year).

I don't think we're going to have much horsepower trying to lure teams with Big-10 options.

If you're talking about Schiano, it was reported that financial terms were agreed upon... $32M over 8 years... but that his other demands were not met.

The $4M/year would currently be 10th in the Big-10 (11th if Minnesota's PJ Fleck gets his deserved bump from his current $3.6M/year).

I don't think we're going to have much horsepower trying to lure teams with Big-10 options.
Wow didn’t think he would get that kind of $$

Wow didn’t think he would get that kind of $$

Rutgers is Big-10 now. Every team in the conference is now getting over $50M per year on the TV deal, so every team is expected to spend on their program to build the brand.

Last season Schiano made $1.5M for the season as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State.

Rutgers is Big-10 now. Every team in the conference is now getting over $50M per year on the TV deal, so every team is expected to spend on their program to build the brand.

Last season Schiano made $1.5M for the season as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State.

Which shows what UNLV (and G5 in general) is up against in hiring vs P5...

A DC in the Big 10 would be a top 3 paid HC in the MWC.

Sarkisian and Mora

What about Mora do you like?

There are a lot of UCLA fans who were happy to see him gone.

He had a couple nice years with Rosen. Put a number of dudes in the NFL.

His overall record was good, but last two seasons were very disappointing.

He has name value...

What I like about Mora.

He brought UCLA to heights they haven't seen in years. The objectively most successful coach there in the last 25+ years.

He had good success with the Falcons, obviously not in Seattle.

He's still young, has name value, which helps when will have an influx of new casual fans with the new stadium.

What I don't like, well the same stuff that everyone else doesn't like about him.

Didn't end well in UCLA, though i do think he was forced out a little prematurely simply because they had Chip Kelly, the hottest name out there, ready to take over.

Not known as a great x's and O's guy, and maybe not the greatest leader.

But I do think his negatives are somewhat unfairly blinding people to his accomplishments.

I'd put him in my top 5 for sure. #1 Jones, #2 Scalley, #3 Gonzales, #4 Hill, #5 Mora

We will hire Kiffen (even though he's initially declined) and alienate The Raiders, as well as some fans. We might as well pursue someone from Duke or BYU while we are at it as well.

What I like about Mora.

He brought UCLA to heights they haven't seen in years. The objectively most successful coach there in the last 25+ years.

He had good success with the Falcons, obviously not in Seattle.

He's still young, has name value, which helps when will have an influx of new casual fans with the new stadium.

What I don't like, well the same stuff that everyone else doesn't like about him.

Didn't end well in UCLA, though i do think he was forced out a little prematurely simply because they had Chip Kelly, the hottest name out there, ready to take over.

Not known as a great x's and O's guy, and maybe not the greatest leader.

But I do think his negatives are somewhat unfairly blinding people to his accomplishments.

I'd put him in my top 5 for sure. #1 Jones, #2 Scalley, #3 Gonzales, #4 Hill, #5 Mora

I'm not against it.

But he seems to wear his welcome out pretty quick wherever he goes.

Three years with the Falcons. 1st year very good, 2nd year meh third year bad GET OUT!

1 year with Seattle...Get out!

His UCLA stint was solid. Bad finish, but you coach long enough you're going to have bad seasons.

He can recruit well. Name value. NFL and college ties should help in building a solid staff.

There are coordinators and a few other options out there that I like more, but I wouldn't be upset if this was who UNLV landed on..

I'm not against it.

But he seems to wear his welcome out pretty quick wherever he goes.

Three years with the Falcons. 1st year very good, 2nd year meh third year bad GET OUT!

His 3rd season in Atlanta he was still 7-9 and the Falcons dropped to 4-12 the season after he was gone. He may have survived going 7-9 if not for making comments (when the Falcons were still in playoff contention) that he would take the University of Washington job if it was offered to him.

Mora at UCLA did well hiring staff. Most of his guys who weren't kept by UCLA now have NFL jobs, including Jedd Fisch (Assistant Offensive Coordinator Los Angeles Rams) and Jeff Ulbrich (defensive assistant with the Falcons) who would be great hires as OC and DC if UNLV has a legit budget for staff.

His 3rd season in Atlanta he was still 7-9 and the Falcons dropped to 4-12 the season after he was gone. He may have survived going 7-9 if not for making comments (when the Falcons were still in playoff contention) that he would take the University of Washington job if it was offered to him.

Mora at UCLA did well hiring staff. Most of his guys who weren't kept by UCLA now have NFL jobs, including Jedd Fisch (Assistant Offensive Coordinator Los Angeles Rams) and Jeff Ulbrich (defensive assistant with the Falcons) who would be great hires as OC and DC if UNLV has a legit budget for staff.

I think he could hire a very competent staff. No argument there.

When did Vick get in trouble and suspended? Wasn't that the year after Mora left? That might have played into the Falcons rapid decline..

The trend in Atlanta was likely concerning.

11/9/7 wins.

I'm not against a Mora hiring. Plenty of things to like. Considering our previous hire had zero FBS experience Mora's resume is plenty solid.

Last edited:

I love that the guy is all about his alma mater but damn that was a stupid thing to say publicly. I think it ultimately did lead to his firing.

He didn't get a fair chance in Seattle. He might have done well if given another year but when the opportunity to land Pete Carroll presents itself you have to take it.

I think he'd put together a good staff but I would hope he goes with some college guys and not an NFL staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT