ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic candidates...

rickyb55

Lottery Pick
Oct 5, 2004
Houston Nutt and Butch Jones are reportedly interested per the Football Scoop site.
Would fans be excited for either one of those coaches?
What other names are being tossed around??

Houston Nutt and Butch Jones are reportedly interested per the Football Scoop site.

Butch Jones yes.

Did great at Central Michigan and Cincy...Had a rough go at Tennessee.

Houston not so much...

Reactions: RebNReno

Jim Mora is another..

Coordinator names that are interesting but probably not likely are the DC at Utah Morgan Scalley and Danny Gonzles the DC at ASU..

Jay Hill the Weber State coach is another. He was rumored to be a top candidate for BYU if Sitake continued to struggle. With Sitake being extended he could be a viable option..

Last edited:

Go google search Todd Graham..

One of the first results is Todd Graham headset....

It was a running joke with ASU fans because the headset he wore looked like Madonna on the Blonde Ambition Tour or Backstreet Boys...

I'll take Todd Graham but only with the headset..

What does it matter who they hire we’ll be having this same exact conversation 4 or 5 years from now.
No matter how hard you try you can’t fix stupid.

Even a guy like Butch Jones?

Obviously no guarantee of success, but that would be a very good hire at least on paper..

Reactions: rickyb55
I'm fairly certain DRF and Butch Jones were at Cincinnati and Tennessee at or about the same time.

No on Sark, Graham and any coordinators! Former or current HC's only.
1st tier - B. Jones, J. Jones, P. Hill, J. Hill, J. McElwain, R. McNeil.
2nd tier - J. Mora and B. Hoke!

Reactions: BostonRebel

You realize every coach has been a coordinator at some point.

The absolute worst way to conduct a search is to eliminate a pool of potentially good candidates.

June Jones hasn't coached in awhile and is a lot closer to the end if his career than the beggining. 5 years ago..Sure..Now..No..

Same with Pat Hill.

Reactions: reagan21
Bob Davie 2.0

Reactions: rickyb55
You realize every coach has been a coordinator at some point.

The absolute worst way to conduct a search is to eliminate a pool of potentially good candidates.

June Jones hasn't coached in awhile and is a lot closer to the end if his career than the beggining. 5 years ago..Sure..Now..No..

Same with Pat Hill.

I know you love the scalley guy but we need a former HC not a never has been a HC. They may get their chance down the road but former HC should be a pre-requisite for this job!

Jones is intriguing, just wonder about his recruiting/coaching ties out West?

Jay Hill = interesting.

Jim McElwain = interesting.

June and Pat may be old but so what! They have a track record in the MWC that stands against any of the top MWC coaches!

Hoke = luke warm.

Mora - ship has sailed on that enthusiasm.

Graham was a HC at ASU and had some success, though not as much as Mora.

Anyone that has HC experience at a power school, without baggage, is worth at least exploring.

Age should be a factor. Though the older guys should not be eliminated, I'd rather take a younger guy if everything else is comparable.

I know you love the scalley guy but we need a former HC not a never has been a HC. They may get their chance down the road but former HC should be a pre-requisite for this job!

Let me get this right.

Scalley is likely the heir apparent of a top 25 program when Whittingham walks away. He's also likely to draw heavy interest for higher profile jobs than UNLV. Utah upped his pay partly in an attempt to keep him...But he'd be 'meh' for UNLV...

Got it.

He's probably not even being considered.

But Yes, let's go get June Jones, who since leaving SMU, his jobs were HS OC, Hamilton Tiger Cats and now the XFL.

There are reasons other schools aren't knocking down Hill or Jones' door but UNLV should..

Reactions: reagan21
Graham was a HC at ASU and had some success, though not as much as Mora.

Anyone that has HC experience at a power school, without baggage, is worth at least exploring.

Age should be a factor. Though the older guys should not be eliminated, I'd rather take a younger guy if everything else is comparable.

No stone left unturned..

Orgeron would have been perfect!

Excellent recruiter despite maybe 2 or 3 people in the world, total, who understand anything he says. I love the guy for his enthusiasm and would sign up for anything he sold.

What if he sold adorable pet snails that he said, "light up your life"...but that really meant that they self-destructed in your hands with the force of a tactical nuke when you picked them up? Would you sign up for that?

Asking for a friend.

The new coach will be a former P5 HC with no baggage who “just didn’t win enough” at their prior school. Ready to be hired. No other commitments. No pending bowl games. Will be ready for early signing period on December 18.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The new coach will be a former P5 HC with no baggage who “just didn’t win enough” at their prior school. Ready to be hired. No other commitments. No pending bowl games. Will be ready for early signing period on December 18.

Butch Jones? I could live with that.

This is the best possible scenario.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT