ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava in the portal

It says expected to. I think maybe On3 is jumping the gun. Until he’s actually in the portal I’m going to take this with a grain of salt.

Either way I think we will be fine. We are bringing in other qbs with or without him here anyway.

You wondering if this affected his game the last couple. Obviously this is not a rash decision.

I've been pushing for a certain QB for months. And I started that push for a reason. Now, lets pray. People have mentioned it before, its all about having "your guy."
Would he choose here and Marion over a certain big program whose QB1 also entered the portal?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It says expected to. I think maybe On3 is jumping the gun. Until he’s actually in the portal I’m going to take this with a grain of salt.

Either way I think we will be fine. We are bringing in other qbs with or without him here anyway.

The "expected to" I hoping is that he will not announce now. He plays the bowl game, then announces after.
There is plenty of time to get to a new school before the spring semester.
Or... he doesn't leave at all :)

Lets do some math;

Maiava starts struggling when the coaching rumors start to heat up. Marion interviews at schools that arent successful and that also doesnt have their QB of the future. Marion is about to leave for another school. He decides to come back. Maiava enters the portal shortly after. What does this all add up to?

No, he has not officially entered the portal. Things can be fixed. But why would a reputable source such as On3 just tweet that out? Its not just for fun.

Lets do some math;

Maiava starts struggling when the coaching rumors start to heat up. Marion interviews at schools that arent successful and that also doesnt have their QB of the future. Marion is about to leave for another school. He decides to come back. Maiava enters the portal shortly after. What does this all add up to?

No, he has not officially entered the portal. Things can be fixed. But why would a reputable source such as On3 just tweet that out? Its not just for fun.

I may be in the minority here but.

As good as Maiava was especially as a freshman, I do not think it's out of the question UNLV could find a replacement that may be better able to run the offense.

Pros he's a pretty accurate passer, good arm. A little more athletic than you'd think.

Cons he puts the ball in danger quite a bit. And more so as the season wore on.

Rather have him than not. But don't think it will be impossible to find someone that can post similar numbers.

Lets do some math;

No, he has not officially entered the portal. Things can be fixed. But why would a reputable source such as On3 just tweet that out? It’s not just for fun.
Had Maiava not thrown the game away the guys I was sitting with in section C111 could have just bought us a new portal QB had our bets cashed. Dude really sold us down the river his last game as a Rebel.

He would be great for a program like ours but he likely thinks he’s better than UNLV. I’m not sure he’s P4 level good but we haven’t seen enough to really judge imo.

The old adage the passing windows from college to the NFL shrink.

Same is true (obviously to a lesser degree) going from the MWC to the Big12 or 10 or SEC or ACC.

I think he's a good G5 qb potentially very good.

I do not think however he uplifts a mid tier P4 program to new heights.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe with more talent around him. But he'll be facing better talent as well.

The old adage the passing windows from college to the NFL shrink.

Same is true (obviously to a lesser degree) going from the MWC to the Big12 or 10 or SEC or ACC.

I think he's a good G5 qb potentially very good.

I do not think however he uplifts a mid tier P4 program to new heights.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe with more talent around him. But he'll be facing better talent as well.
I am talking about Maalik Murphy from Texas. Not sure if you’re referencing him or Maiava.

Last edited:
Lets do some math;

I think this is the N.I.L Math $2,000,000 from Oregon or some other P5 school JM is probably doing right about now!

I think this is the N.I.L Math $2,000,000 from Oregon or some other P5 school JM is probably doing right about now!
Is Maiaiva getting 2 mil? I don't think so.
I think he could after 2 more years here and improved a bit more, but not right now.

Lets do some math;

Break it down for me since I'm not very smart.

It's been thought for a while that Marion will only be here for a short time. As the team starts off hot this year, and JM steps on the scene, both he and Marion are getting lots of attention. Then, Marion starts talking with other programs about OC or HC spots, assuming he's going to get a different job. Do Marion & Maiava have a plan to for JM on going with Marion to his new spot? In that case, does coach Odom get news that it's most likely that Maiava is going to leave with Marion, so Odom starts targeting other QB's that are in, or likely to be in the portal?

Or am I way off base? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT