ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV transfer portal class 2024

It wasnt the portal back then but these are the types of transfers JRob used to get. They either transfered directly from a P5, were bounce backs from a P5 to JUCO, or a JUCO kid that was good enough to go P5 either out of HS but didnt have the grades or was fringe good enough to go P5 out of JUCO but chose ot play for JRob.

Everyone says the portal will kill lower tier schools like UNLV because anyone good enough will get poached, which is true but a school like UNLV can take advantage of it and make the portal be a bigger positive than it is a negative. There are some players you will never keep, but there are a lot more of them that want to be on the football field rather than running with the 3's at a P5 for 5 years.

Everyone says the portal will kill lower tier schools like UNLV because anyone good enough will get poached, which is true but a school like UNLV can take advantage of it and make the portal be a bigger positive than it is a negative.
Yup, I was one of those people who posted that. It appears I was wrong... And I couldn't be happier about it!

It wasnt the portal back then but these are the types of transfers JRob used to get. They either transfered directly from a P5, were bounce backs from a P5 to JUCO, or a JUCO kid that was good enough to go P5 either out of HS but didnt have the grades or was fringe good enough to go P5 out of JUCO but chose ot play for JRob.

Everyone says the portal will kill lower tier schools like UNLV because anyone good enough will get poached, which is true but a school like UNLV can take advantage of it and make the portal be a bigger positive than it is a negative. There are some players you will never keep, but there are a lot more of them that want to be on the football field rather than running with the 3's at a P5 for 5 years.
This is true. On the flip side it sorta makes HS recruiting for G5 schools somewhat irrelevant. As we usually won't get many studs from HS and the ones we do - or develop into studs - will xfer out to a P5. It's really all about the portal now for a school like us.

I can't access Twitter/X, but UNLV is claiming that their transfer class is rated #1 in all of G5
Yeah. I've looked at UNLV's transfer rank in 247 and we sit at 57. But if you look at all the schools sitting ahead of us they are P5. So, they may be right.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This is true. On the flip side it sorta makes HS recruiting for G5 schools somewhat irrelevant. As we usually won't get many studs from HS and the ones we do - or develop into studs - will xfer out to a P5. It's really all about the portal now for a school like us.

G5s were already behind power conferences in this regard typically.

What I'm starting to wonder is this...

If you are a 4* QB that is recruited, let's say by Oregon. And Oregon goes out and signs another former 4* QB from the portal or they snatch up a G5 guy that had a big year, do you still want to go to Oregon knowing you are likely going to sit for 2 or 3 years?

Elite 5* dudes definitely still going to P4 schools. But some of those 4* guys may start to trickle down possibly.

I don't know, it's still early in the whole figuring the portal out process, but I can see where you might see some higher end HS guys actually commit down.

I think P4 coaches who don't have the luxury of time might start attacking the portal even heavier vs HS looking for quick fixes.

Who knows, it could go a lot of different directions really. Probably more school/case specific vs blanket across all of football.

G5s were already behind power conferences in this regard typically.

What I'm starting to wonder is this...

If you are a 4* QB that is recruited, let's say by Oregon. And Oregon goes out and signs another former 4* QB from the portal or they snatch up a G5 guy that had a big year, do you still want to go to Oregon knowing you are likely going to sit for 2 or 3 years?

Elite 5* dudes definitely still going to P4 schools. But some of those 4* guys may start to trickle down possibly.

I don't know, it's still early in the whole figuring the portal out process, but I can see where you might see some higher end HS guys actually commit down.

I think P4 coaches who don't have the luxury of time might start attacking the portal even heavier vs HS looking for quick fixes.

Who knows, it could go a lot of different directions really. Probably more school/case specific vs blanket across all of football.
I was thinking the same thing. More 4 star players looking for a place that will get them PT and a place to shine, raises their stock for NIL in the transfer portal.

In a weird way it can actually create more parity in college football. The big time schools just stacking 5 star and high 4 star dudes in their 3 deep may not happen as much anymore, knowing they will still have their shot at the big time power schools if they go elsewhere first.

And with so much offseason player movement( and coach for that matter) every year for all teams, the idea of staying in one place and learning the system just doesn't apply that much anymore.

I was thinking the same thing. More 4 star players looking for a place that will get them PT and a place to shine, raises their stock for NIL in the transfer portal.

In a weird way it can actually create more parity in college football. The big time schools just stacking 5 star and high 4 star dudes in their 3 deep may not happen as much anymore, knowing they will still have their shot at the big time power schools if they go elsewhere first.

And with so much offseason player movement( and coach for that matter) every year for all teams, the idea of staying in one place and learning the system just doesn't apply that much anymore.
I can see it going that way as long as everyone realizes they are rentals only like I guess Cam Jenkins was. I can see G programs seperating between those who are OK with the 'come here out of HS and get promoted just as long as you're here for a year' model and those who fall more into the 'final destination' portal model.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I can see it going that way as long as everyone realizes they are rentals only like I guess Cam Jenkins was. I can see G programs seperating between those who are OK with the 'come here out of HS and get promoted just as long as you're here for a year' model and those who fall more into the 'final destination' portal model.
I truly hope the unlimited transfer rule gets shot down. I don't think it has legal bearing. Lebron couldn't sue the Cavs because he signed a contract in Cleveland, knowing he could make more endorsement money as a Laker. This is the same thing. NCAA has rules, you sign a LOI that confines to those rules. You already get one free transfer. Also the school doesn't pay you, others do. You also get a shot at a second free transfer if you graduate.
If that were to happen, the transfer portal would be a big plus for UNLV, get high quality dudes buried on the bench from bigger schools and then they have to stick around for at least

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT