ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB?

If a talented QB were to hit the portal, would you want the staff to go after them or prefer that we just ride with Maiava?

Always look to add depth. Especially at that position. I want there to be competition.

On flipside only one plays typically (barring injury). So personal opinion, 3 scholarships max there plus walk on. Because inevitably one is likely going to transfer either because of lack of playing time or gets poached.

Steve Sarkesian was asked about it and that was his feeling and it made a lot of sense.

If a talented QB were to hit the portal, would you want the staff to go after them or prefer that we just ride with Maiava?
Tough question. I think its always good to have 2 solid QB's on the roster since injury is pretty common. I'm assuming Brum will be leaving, and I don't know about the abilities of the other qb's on the roster, so I'd be open to adding. Possible that it would ruffle feathers though, so hopefully the coaches navigate that well

Last edited:
I really depends on what happens.
Assuming Maiava sticks around and Brum decides to transfer. Also what Friel wants to do.
Hard to say how this like Friel. He had some snaps, but mostly just handed it off this season.
Odom has said we have 3QBs that can run this offense at a high level, and Friel was one of those 3.
Also how they feel about Bo. He looks like he is still 14, not that matters that much, but he still at least looks like a project physically.
Grab a freshman, but they may stay put even if Brum leaves. If they want an upgrade for the depth, I can see they bring someone in.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
That is a really hard call. As a freshman Maiava has done a great job, and I fully expect he will have a significant improvement in his game by next season. I fully expect him to be the starter for the next 3 seasons as long as he doesn't get injured or decide to transfer. But on the other side of things if he does get injured or transfers out, shouldn't we have a quality QB that is ready to play?

If Maiava stick with UNLV, I will stick by him. Kid got the "it". Yes, he made mistakes but he can ball.

In college you dont have to be a future NFL QB or have all of the talent in the world to be a good college QB and lead a team to a lot of wins. Too many examples of guys that werent that talented that were highly successful, heisman winners, National champions, etc but had average skill, high IQ and were natural leaders. Stetson Bennett won two Natty's dude is just a baller, nothing more.

What does the team think of Maiava? Is he their guy? If so you probably shouldnt go recruit a portal QB to come in and be QB1 unless you are damn sure that guy can significantly improve the team and win over the locker room.
Maiava has been their guy since spring ball. I mentioned this in a post probably 6/7 months ago. He really balled during the spring and gained the trust of the entire team.

I only pose this question because there is a guy that will hop in the portal soon that I'd love to see here next season. I think he'd overtake Maiava as the starter and hes familiar with Marion too.

If you have paid attention to my posts, you know who I'm referring to.

Let's forget high school rankings at this point. Even though some high school player rankings had J Maivia ranked as the number 25 pro style QB coming out of high school with offers from Auburn and Tennessee. Right Now the College Sports Football Network ranks JM top 25 in Country as a starting College QB and he is the highest ranked Freshmen. I would take a pass! https://collegefootballnetwork.com/top-college-football-quarterback-rankings-2023/

17) Jayden Maiava | UNLV​

Mountain West Rank: 1/12
Last Week’s Ranking: 19th (+2)
Yards: 2,399 | TDs: 13 | INT: 6 | Comp. %: 63.8% | YPA: 9.2

• Wow
I only pose this question because there is a guy that will hop in the portal soon that I'd love to see here next season. I think he'd overtake Maiava as the starter and hes familiar with Marion too.

Are you thinking that Marion will stay another season then? It would suck to bring in a portal guy, piss off everyone, then have Marion jump ship and take the new guy with him, while we lose Maiava due to being mad about the whole situation.

Is it dependent on if Marion is actually here?

Sorry I didn't see that. Probably slightly different metrics with similar results. Consensus top 20 QB as a freshmen.
He's doing great for UNLV, Tim. That is a good company in the WC teams. As a freshman, he is the best ranked or one of the best we seen in the FBS.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Ride with him! I think he’s pretty damn good for a freshmen. Yes he’s had an incredible wr to throw to, but he’s shown to be pretty accurate. What impresses me about him is he has a short memory and is pretty even keel for as young as he is. It’s not a quality that is easy to come by at that position esp that young. Imagine if he is the starter for the next 3 years… have had zero stability at QB forever. Think it would be silly to move to someone else. Kid could be special for us

Is it dependent on if Marion is actually here?
Yes, this hypo is dependent on if Marion stays. @LVRebel2000

I only floated this because I was just told today that OU is going in house for their next OC. I think Marion would have been a good fit there. Also heard that Marion's opportunities are dying as each day passes. Of course things change daily, but this is what I was told a few hours ago.

And who is to say that Maiava will be here next season? I have said that I personally think he will be back for various reasons, but Idk what is going on in his mind or his family's mind.

Please, no one think that I'm hating on Maiava or insinuating that Marion wants someone else. Just thought this would be an interesting question and wanted to hear everyones opinions. I like Maiava a lot and have since spring ball. However, I think if Marion stays, I think we do get a portal QB. Doug is most likely out, Friel wont see meaningful PT here, we have no QB committed in 2024 as of now, I dont think Bo is ready to play, and Lenhoff is scout team.

Maiava a 4x + freshman of the
week…. Top seven or 25 stat as a QB in the nation.
  • Would you want to undermine local recruiting? - or support getting more of what the top 25 programs are getting out of the valley?
  • Did that QB put up stats like Maiava in HS?- including playing the tops HS in the nation(BG)?
I support bringing in anyone to grow, but don’t get twisted on true talent and stars

• Would you want to undermine local recruiting? - or support getting more of what the top 25 programs are getting out of the valley?
  • Did that QB put up stats like Maiava in HS?- including playing the tops HS in the nation(BG)?
I support bringing in anyone to grow, but don’t get twisted on true talent and stars
Let's just say if it's who Lobby has discussed before and this player transfers, he'd be an incredible fit within Marion's system and has more tools than Maiava... and I love Maiava. Kids got a great future with UNLV, could be our "Josh Allen" ... but I'd 100% be willing to at least create that competition with this guy...

I hope you dont think that I'd want someone that isnt truly talented. But he was Top 200 prospect in the nation and still underrated because he had to sit behind talent all of his hs career.

This QB led his team to a California CIF State Title in Division 1. He threw for 2973 yards and 22 TD his senior season, almost 900 more yards than Maiava. He played in one of the toughest leagues in the state and beat Long Beach Poly twice. Everything @Masked_rebel just said is true.

I dont believe that bringing in this portal QB would undermine local recruiting either because some schools in Vegas actually wanted him to come play for them.

Maalik Murphy? That’s a tough one. You are essentially choosing potential over proven unless you can convince Murphy (or whomever) to come without making any promises which would be incredibly difficult. You also would need to convince the team, that this a genuine competition or you risk losing the trust of the team. Again incredibly difficult. Even then, the loser is essentially guaranteed of transferring.

In a vacuum though, I think anytime you can improve your roster, you do it. Each situation, especially at QB, has to be made individually though as I do think circumstances dictate the course of action.

I do think we could get further with Murphy (assuming he is whom are referring to) than Maiava, but don’t think it’s certain enough for me to pursue him. At least not without a conversation with Maiava first making sure he’s OK with it.

As an edit to this post. I am merely speculating on Murphy being the guy. Just heard he was thinking of transferring due to the fact that he’s sandwiched in between Ewers and Arch Manning. I must have missed the post the Lobby is referring to.

Are you guys talking about that kid that committed to Hawaii this year? Maiava is 5 times Freshman of the week.

Maalik Murphy? That’s a tough one. You are essentially choosing potential over proven unless you can convince Murphy (or whomever) to come without making any promises which would be incredibly difficult. You also would need to convince the team, that this a genuine competition or you risk losing the trust of the team. Again incredibly difficult. Even then, the loser is essentially guaranteed of transferring.

In a vacuum though, I think anytime you can improve your roster, you do it. Each situation, especially at QB, has to be made individually though as I do think circumstances dictate the course of action.

I do think we could get further with Murphy (assuming he is whom are referring to) than Maiava, but don’t think it’s certain enough for me to pursue him. At least not without a conversation with Maiava first making sure he’s OK with it.

As an edit to this post. I am merely speculating on Murphy being the guy. Just heard he was thinking of transferring due to the fact that he’s sandwiched in between Ewers and Arch Manning. I must have missed the post the Lobby is referring to.
If this is the player that you're talking about, no way. We will stick with Maiava and then Admundson. If he want to come in and competes, I will take that. Nothing given. Jayden Maiava is more than proven himself.

To clarify, I'm not saying Marion or anyone should grab someone from the portal and guarantee them anything. I was just asking if a talented portal QB wanted to come here, would yall want that. It's very nice to hear everyone's opinions. Its very refreshing. I feel like we havent had this much dialogue in a long time. Regardless of who is here and who is not here, we are now competitive and being talked about by recruits and transfers. That hasnt happened in who knows how long. Thats the most important part.

When I first joined this forum, there were a lot of productive discussions and debates and I feel like we got away from that. I hope we can continue to foster that sense of community with other Rebels, especially because we are actually winning in something now. You guys know that I'm one of the newer people here so I'm not familiar with all of the people that spoiled this forum over the years, but I hope that we can get back to that good sports talk. Thanks all!

To clarify, I'm not saying Marion or anyone should grab someone from the portal and guarantee them anything. I was just asking if a talented portal QB wanted to come here, would yall want that. It's very nice to hear everyone's opinions. Its very refreshing. I feel like we havent had this much dialogue in a long time. Regardless of who is here and who is not here, we are now competitive and being talked about by recruits and transfers. That hasnt happened in who knows how long. Thats the most important part.

When I first joined this forum, there were a lot of productive discussions and debates and I feel like we got away from that. I hope we can continue to foster that sense of community with other Rebels, especially because we are actually winning in something now. You guys know that I'm one of the newer people here so I'm not familiar with all of the people that spoiled this forum over the years, but I hope that we can get back to that good sports talk. Thanks all!
I am pretty loyal here. I think a of us here are very loyal and love out team this year. If the coach or coaches want to leave us for whatever reason, we cannot control that. The same with players. But any player or players who are loyal and again, Coaches who are loyal. Do we want to trade them for someone else because there are shinier or higher ranking. No. Absolutely not.
If Coach O want to remain with UNLV and say some flashy Coach want to come to UNLV. We'd say no. No, NO, NO.
Vegas is a big town but if you look at its fan base, it is still Sinatra and Tark in its core.

I am an old school Vegas core values at heart. Probably until the day I died. If that dies, my fandom will end. Loyalty and forgiving plus striving to a new heights that never have a ceiling.

Yes, this hypo is dependent on if Marion stays. @LVRebel2000

I only floated this because I was just told today that OU is going in house for their next OC. I think Marion would have been a good fit there. Also heard that Marion's opportunities are dying as each day passes. Of course things change daily, but this is what I was told a few hours ago.

And who is to say that Maiava will be here next season? I have said that I personally think he will be back for various reasons, but Idk what is going on in his mind or his family's mind.

Please, no one think that I'm hating on Maiava or insinuating that Marion wants someone else. Just thought this would be an interesting question and wanted to hear everyones opinions. I like Maiava a lot and have since spring ball. However, I think if Marion stays, I think we do get a portal QB. Doug is most likely out, Friel wont see meaningful PT here, we have no QB committed in 2024 as of now, I dont think Bo is ready to play, and Lenhoff is scout team.
The Auburn community thought Bo Nix would be there till he graduated. You never know what is in a players mind.

The Auburn community thought Bo Nix would be there till he graduated. You never know what is in a players mind.
You can never control that. But if the player like Bo Nix or Maiava want to stay, dont ruin it.

I hope you dont think that I'd want someone that isnt truly talented. But he was Top 200 prospect in the nation and still underrated because he had to sit behind talent all of his hs career.

This QB led his team to a California CIF State Title in Division 1. He threw for 2973 yards and 22 TD his senior season, almost 900 more yards than Maiava. He played in one of the toughest leagues in the state and beat Long Beach Poly twice. Everything @Masked_rebel just said is true.

I dont believe that bringing in this portal QB would undermine local recruiting either because some schools in Vegas actually wanted him to come play for them.
I’m all about bringing in competition! , go for it. I think current QBs will dominate for a bit, including, and especially BO!!
I really think that’s an ace untold at this point for our future!

I’m all about bringing in competition! , go for it. I think current QBs will dominate for a bit, including, and especially BO!!
I really think that’s an ace untold at this point for our future!
RS him and bring him next year?

Ok, I missed a thread somewhere along the way and have to ask the dumb question…. Who is Bo??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT