ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava in the portal

I thought Gute the Boot was a very good kicker last year, potentially even better. He definitely had a stronger leg. Didn't have the same opportunities as Pizano did this season.
We have been very fortunate the past few seasons indeed.
Yeah, we’ve definitely had stronger legs. His accuracy was good, he had one semi-long range that I think clinked over the crossbar, probably against CSU.

I think Gutes leg was stronger, I think Aguayo’s was too, and I know Nick G’s was. But we just spanned the last 30 years.

I think his was as much about cashing in on sooooo many opportunities.

It’s kinda funny, when you are down big (as we’ve been so many times in the past), you tend to lose opportunities (especially 2nd half) because you go for it on 4th down. When you are tighter, you’re going to have more FG opportunities from start to finish.

Even if that amounts to 4 or 5 lost opportunities per season (because you’re getting smoked), that amounts to a lot.

Maiava will be fine at QB. It's been a long season with maybe a little added pressure coming down the home stretch here. The challenges of these last few games is just a learning opportunity. He'll be much stronger for it. Being challenged at his position is just part of the game. Getting the extra few weeks before the bowl will be great for the whole team to have time to refocus.

Maiava will be fine at QB. It's been a long season with maybe a little added pressure coming down the home stretch here. The challenges of these last few games is just a learning opportunity. He'll be much stronger for it. Being challenged at his position is just part of the game. Getting the extra few weeks before the bowl will be great for the whole team to have time to refocus.
And just in case he’s not, let’s bring in a QB who if he beats him out, will only makes us better going forward!

Pete Nakos reported that Brayden Schager was in the portal. Coach Timmy Chang replied to him and said he talked to Schager and Schager said he wasnt.

Now ESPN says Schager told them he's in the portal.

Do y'all see where I'm going with this?

Pete Nakos reported that Brayden Schager was in the portal. Coach Timmy Chang replied to him and said he talked to Schager and Schager said he wasnt.

Now ESPN says Schager told them he's in the portal.

Do y'all see where I'm going with this?
That there's another player at a different school with the last name Schager? Lol

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
A family friend and a person that coached the brother of Maiava's girlfriend told me he's staying. They're family friends and talk.

So with what I was told plus what @Rebel_Luv just said, it's safe to assume that Maiava is staying.

However I don't think that his departure was what people were calling for; many people just called for us to get someone to compete with him.

A family friend and a person that coached the brother of Maiava's girlfriend told me he's staying. They're family friends and talk.

So with what I was told plus what @Rebel_Luv just said, it's safe to assume that Maiava is staying.

However I don't think that his departure was what people were calling for; many people just called for us to get someone to compete with him.

Agreed, prefer him to be here and see how he develops vs not.

If he can cut down on turnovers he could be special.

It's really my only concern with him, he puts the ball in danger a little too often.

But would like to see a QB that can challenge him for the job..

I misspoke so I just wanted to clear it up; I was told that he was NOT in the portal. That was the same day as the portal entry fiasco. I was not told that he was staying, but that does not mean that he isnt.

Just wanted to clear this up so things don't get twisted. Those are two pretty different things.

I sure hope that they are recruiting hard at the following positions OL, DL, DE, TE, CB and LB’s! Yes the entire team needs to be upgraded and there also needs to be a solid addition at QB as well!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I sure hope that they are recruiting hard at the following positions OL, DL, DE, TE, CB and LB’s! Yes the entire team needs to be upgraded and there also needs to be a solid addition at QB as well!
Unlv staff isn’t in a rush to offer a bunch of guys, some interesting prospects here and there but I think they have some interest in guys that are going to be available once their bowl games are over.

Of course, same can be said for unlv football. Guys might be wanting the bowl experience and then going somewhere else.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Unlv staff isn’t in a rush to offer a bunch of guys, some interesting prospects here and there but I think they have some interest in guys that are going to be available once their bowl games are over.

Of course, same can be said for unlv football. Guys might be wanting the bowl experience and then going somewhere else.

May save a ride or two for after Spring.

Guys (including here) will enter portal then as well. Good idea to save a couple just in case.

There are a lot of guys on this current team that need to end up in the portal...
That is a statement that I can agree with like Nick Demetrius kid. WTF is he still doing on the team still?

7 years of that shit show from Rogers to Doug…

We need people that can THROW the ball.
Remember when Justin Rogers spent the first half of the Eastern Washington game throwing every ball at the WR’s feet!? Brumfield came in and looked like a world beater in the second half. So, I guess we have it much better now in retrospect.

Arroyo and Desiree were an absolute nightmare.

Remember when Justin Rogers spent the first half of the Eastern Washington game throwing every ball at the WR’s feet!? Brumfield came in and looked like a world beater in the second half. So, I guess we have it much better now in retrospect.

Arroyo and Desiree were an absolute nightmare.

Feel bad for the dude.

Never recovered fully from an injury in high school.

Forget who we played but he came in later in the year in relief and played a really good game.

Saw a glimpse of what he could have been but otherwise...Not so much.

Who said anything about being in a rush, that was you, not me.

I said we need to get better as a team at most positions or do some of you really think that next year’s schedule will be kind to this team the way we are constructed?

We need OL and DL help, our CB’s and S’s suck, don’t get me started on rushing the passer or our LB’s outside of Woodward being good enough to even compete against a Kansas, Houston or Boise State?

The last two weeks of the season happened guys or do some of you want to continue to stick your freaking heads in the sand? We need more talent and depth at most positions, I don’t care if they offer tomorrow or next month, just get better everywhere or this year will be an anomaly!

I said we need to get better as a team at most positions or do some of you really think that next year’s schedule will be kind to this team the way we are constructed?
We need OL and DL help, our CB’s and S’s suck, don’t get me started on rushing the passer or our LB’s outside of Woodward being good enough to even compete against a Kansas, Houston or Boise State? The last two weeks happened guys or do some of you want to continue to stick your freaking heads in the sand? We need more talent and depth at most positions, I don’t care if they offer tomorrow or next month, just get better everywhere or this year will be an anomaly!

I don't believe he was insinuating you said they were in a rush. Just a general statement.

Whatever happened and was said or done is over with now. It's official, both are coming back.
Good.
Hopefully they work on plays together this offseason and develop the schemes Marion wants to run around the skills Maiava has... that's the sign of real good coach and I can see how that would benefit both player and coach

We need OL and DL help, our CB’s and S’s suck, don’t get me started on rushing the passer or our LB’s outside of Woodward being good enough to even compete against a Kansas, Houston or Boise State?

The last two weeks of the season happened guys or do some of you want to continue to stick your freaking heads in the sand? We need more talent and depth at most positions, I don’t care if they offer tomorrow or next month, just get better everywhere or this year will be an anomaly!
That was Coach Odom saying that, he has repeatedly said they will recruit the HS ranks hard (2024 class is best in conference) and develop them while being selective with the portal. He’s most recently said they don’t have a lot of spots open anyway so don’t expect a wave of portal guys to come in.

We don’t talk enough about the 2024 class but the class has some heavy hitters in there that could be impact guys from the get go. Combine that with guys from this years should be a good mix.

As far as the last two games go, I’ll just say that the team has learned to win consistently but now the team is learning how to be a championship caliber team. Mistakes were unfortunately made but the experience was invaluable going forward.

You guys scream about loyalty..............

This isn't directed at you just a general statement about this ridiculous idea of loyalty applied to sports, especially in this day and age.

There isn't a single person on this board that if offered potentially life changing money, wouldn't leave their current job.

Maybe, if it was a relocation you wouldn't or family didn't want to move.

But otherwise..

You're taking it.

Why we hold coaches and athletes to a different standard is beyond me.

This is good to hear. I know BYU was going all in. They had 3 QBs they wanted. Struck out. Leavitt to ASU. Green to Arkansas. Maiava is going to stay.

Tires were kicked. I’m okay with that. Due diligence for one’s future prospects is a must.

This isn't directed at you just a general statement about this ridiculous idea of loyalty applied to sports, especially in this day and age.

There isn't a single person on this board that if offered potentially life changing money, wouldn't leave their current job.

Maybe, if it was a relocation you wouldn't or family didn't want to move.

But otherwise..

You're taking it.

Why we hold coaches and athletes to a different standard is beyond me.
If I quit doing my job, when I worked for someone else, I would have been gone immediately. Do the players still get to finish the school year in regards to their education, or are they kicked out of school the day the quit? The situation between them playing a game while getting an education (few will get anywhere near playing pro.), and a regular 9-5 job are night and day.

Even the NCAA, players, coaches, and schools have no clue how to handle this ever changing landscape of college/professional athletes.

This is good to hear. I know BYU was going all in. They had 3 QBs they wanted. Struck out. Leavitt to ASU. Green to Arkansas. Maiava is going to stay.

Tires were kicked. I’m okay with that. Due diligence for one’s future prospects is a must.
Well he was with someone with some financial influence . Plus some other recruits I believe. I heard his brother is real good.

If I quit doing my job, when I worked for someone else, I would have been gone immediately. Do the players still get to finish the school year in regards to their education, or are they kicked out of school the day the quit? The situation between them playing a game while getting an education (few will get anywhere near playing pro.), and a regular 9-5 job are night and day.

Even the NCAA, players, coaches, and schools have no clue how to handle this ever changing landscape of college/professional athletes.

I agree.

I was talking more about coaches.

As for players, with NIL it still holds true to some extent. If you feel like somewhere else is a better fit, more NIL money, better exposure to possibly make the NFL, I don't blame them for leaving.

I look at it like this, we were all pretty bummed when Widmon left. The portal sucks!

Nobody was bemoaning the portal as Ricky White raced 70 yards for a TD.

Different circumstances in that White had gotten in some trouble and that's why he was here vs Widmon getting more exposure possible NIL money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT