ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB?

I wouldn’t bat an eye, tbh.

Loyalty doesn’t mean anything anymore … get the best, win. Kids are looking for the best NIL, coaches need to get the best they can get.

I don’t like it, not one bit. I’d rather have loyalty rule both ways. But it barely exists so you gotta play the game the way it’s being played.

Odom talked about portal in his presser. Said he didn't like it but you either adapt or get left behind.

KJ Jefferson is an interesting name. He seems to have regressed some though. Question, if you had to choose between them, is whether you believe you could get him back to the level he was playing at before.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
(Ding, Ding, lol)...j/k
But seriously, I agree. If you can load up on talent and barnstorm your way into the CFB, even if it's the 1 yr rental do it... I think Maiava has a ton of potential and huge future at UNLV... but man it'd be hard to say no to that kind of talent, Maiava can always start the next year, lol
Or he can straight up beat him at QB comp. I am not disqualifying that. I think Maiava can and will probably beat him based upon his skills and familiarity of the offence. This is no joke of an offence. It is fluid and dynamic.

Wasn't he mentioned as a possible transfer before this season or am I thi king about someone else?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Wasn't he mentioned as a possible transfer before this season or am I thi king about someone else?
Yeah he was the guy. Consensus was we weren't sure he would be better than Doug, now we think he will be better than JM? His junior year looked better than his senior year.

Yeah he was the guy. Consensus was we weren't sure he would be better than Doug, now we think he will be better than JM? His junior year looked better than his senior year.
The boss of the team productions sometimes directly related to his team's make up. You can lose just one key player out off 11 can affect the QB directly. I am not saying that KJ is the same level as Bo Nix but I see it. Bo Nix jump into an established foundation. If KJ feels like he can transfers to UNLV and feels like he can further his statistics for the NFL let's do this.

some guys will be untouchable out of the portal. They’re going to the highest bidder, not to wing big necessarily, not the school they grew up rooting for, not their favorite coach.

all about the Benjamins. Basically an auction.

And anybody that thinks all our players are staying because of success and Vegas is so great … think again.

some guys will be untouchable out of the portal. They’re going to the highest bidder, not to wing big necessarily, not the school they grew up rooting for, not their favorite coach.

all about the Benjamins. Basically an auction.

And anybody that thinks all our players are staying because of success and Vegas is so great … think again.

Up to $2m for a portal QB

So does the open competition approach apply when the coach’s son is one of those QBs? It should but…..

So does the open competition approach apply when the coach’s son is one of those QBs? It should but…..
I don't see Garyt being a good college QB. He was splitting time this year as a JUNIOR at Faith Lutheran. Of course he can improve and get better but usually by your junior season, you're established.

I highly doubt that we get KJ, but if we did, that would mean the staff told him that it's an open competition. I think he'd beat Maiava.

He wasn't that good this year because Rocket was hurt and the OC was ass.

I highly doubt that we get KJ, but if we did, that would mean the staff told him that it's an open competition. I think he'd beat Maiava.

And this is not a knock on Maiava either it’s just the truth!

Reactions: lobbybuu

It would come down to how quickly he grasped the offense.

But I could see him winning the job.

I think in the modern college football game, you take every chance you can to increase the talent on the roster because you never know who is going to leave on a free transfer. I really didn't think DougieB would lose his position to an injury, but the person that worked best in the offense won the job, and that's a guy who was the point of your spear on keeping a lot of those guys trying to transfer to stay in Vegas.

I have no issue with increasing competition--but most of those guys like KJ aren't going someplace where they're going to have to compete with a returning incumbent who had historically one of the best best seasons in program history, and they usually aren't taking a step down from P4 to a G6 position to do so. I think a guy like Maalik Murphy out of Texas might take a step down to get more immediate playing time and has a ++ arm, but there's signs that Arch Manning might be leaving to join Lebby at Mississippi State, and there's almost no way Ewers sticks around another year. I also get a little nervous when a pro-style QB throws for sub 60% completion.

Make the room better if you can, and if it ruffles feathers then pluck those and move forward.

If Uiagelelei wants to come here then sure. Otherwise no. If we bring in another QB you better be certain it will improve the team. We were a top 20 scoring team in the country this year. And he is a freshman. If you bring in another QB and he doesn’t live up to the billing then you lose Maiava too?

If Uiagelelei wants to come here then sure. Otherwise no. If we bring in another QB you better be certain it will improve the team. We were a top 20 scoring team in the country this year. And he is a freshman. If you bring in another QB and he doesn’t live up to the billing then you lose Maiava too?
I think DJU will be a Duck.

I don't think we can proceed with the what if the portal QB doesnt live up to the billing narrative. Its easy to play that game. What if Maiava doesnt take a step forward like he's supposed to? What if he folds under pressure at Houston, at Kansas, at Boise, and vs Wazzu/Oregon State. There are a lot of what ifs. I think competition will be healthy and push all of these competing for a starting job.

I don't think we can proceed with the what if the portal QB doesnt live up to the billing narrative. Its easy to play that game. What if Maiava doesnt take a step forward like he's supposed to? What if he folds under pressure at Houston, at Kansas, at Boise, and vs Wazzu/Oregon State. There are a lot of what ifs. I think competition will be healthy and push all of these competing for a starting job.
I was being facetious I know there is no way he would come to UNLV. I like competition too but the portal has changed things and guys jump around no problem now. I feel better about the staff developing Maiva than bringing in another Bailey equivalent and hoping he pans out.

I was being facetious I know there is no way he would come to UNLV. I like competition too but the portal has changed things and guys jump around no problem now. I feel better about the staff developing Maiva than bringing in another Bailey equivalent and hoping he pans out.
There is no chance they bring in someone like Bailey, guys like him don’t fit the system. Maiava can develop while competing for the position. We need to recruit over guys here not placate to guys in the program or this football team will always get boat raced in big games like today!

Maiava played really poorly today. A lot of things he got away with vs lesser teams early in the season caught up to him.

The fumble was 100% on him. One of the picks was definitely on him. Sliding a yard short of the 1st down on 4th down 100% on him. He also missed multiple wide open guys.

He's a freshman, he should improve. But I think you absolutely bring in a QB if you think he can push him for the job if not win it out right.

There are some holes in his game that need to be corrected.

I think he's the best QB prospect we've had at UNLV in a long time.

If he's a student of the game and takes to coaching well, he could be special.

Last edited:

Agreed.

He played well enough this year I think he could be MWC Offensive player of the year next year if he cleans a few things up.

There are also enough holes in his game I don't think you can count on that 100%.

Maiava played really poorly today. A lot of things he got away with vs lesser teams early in the season caught up to him.

The fumble was 100% on him. One of the picks was definitely on him. Sliding a yard short of the 1st down on 4th down 100% on him. He also missed multiple wide open guys.

He's a freshman, he should improve. But I think you absolutely bring in a QB if you think he can push him for the job if not win it out right.

Our defense was just as bad,

Maiava is high maintenance. Marion has to spend a lot of time talking to him between offensive series. The talk seems to be more about getting Maiava to focus on the game going forward. Maiava seems to get into his own head too much and Marion has to talk him off that ledge. Maiava needs to grow up fast. He has skills but, I'm concerned about his confidence. At the AF game Marion spent a noticeable amount of time with him and then versus Boise Marion had to sit next to him while the kid was crying. I mean, damn, Marion can't be spending all this time with one guy.

Maiava is high maintenance. Marion has to spend a lot of time talking to him between offensive series. The talk seems to be more about getting Maiava to focus on the game going forward. Maiava seems to get into his own head too much and Marion has to talk him off that ledge. Maiava needs to grow up fast. He has skills but, I'm concerned about his confidence. At the AF game Marion spent a noticeable amount of time with him and then versus Boise Marion had to sit next to him while the kid was crying. I mean, damn, Marion can't be spending all this time with one guy.
Unless you’re one of those two guys, you have no idea what conversations are happening between them on the sidelines.

Maiava is the QB. Most important position on that side of the ball. If Marion isn’t spending the majority of his time talking to the QB, then something is wrong there.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Unless you’re one of those two guys, you have no idea what conversations are happening between them on the sidelines.

Maiava is the QB. Most important position on that side of the ball. If Marion isn’t spending the majority of his time talking to the QB, then something is wrong there.
You are correct. I don't know what they are saying. That is why I used the words "seem to be". Just my observation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT