ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB?

It’s a tough call.

As the HC (not the OC), do you see the potential with this portal QB to elevate the program higher? Does he fit what you want well?

I mention the HC since coordinators come and go (yearly per Mr Go Go) but Odom may be more deeply rooted here.

Also, despite schools wanting the portal QB to play in NV, the general fan may bond more with JM since he did play for one of our schools and is a “local talent.”

Great topic, @lobbybuu

It’s a tough call.

As the HC (not the OC), do you see the potential with this portal QB to elevate the program higher? Does he fit what you want well?

I mention the HC since coordinators come and go (yearly per Mr Go Go) but Odom may be more deeply rooted here.

Also, despite schools wanting the portal QB to play in NV, the general fan may bond more with JM since he did play for one of our schools and is a “local talent.”

Great topic, @lobbybuu
Not because of JM play for our school or a local, it because that kid win games for us. Yes, we as UNLV did not make a come back against SJSU after down 17 pts but we did make it against Vanderbilt which set off our winning ways. We as in UNLV beat Air Force for the first time since when? We beat Wyoming for the first time since when? Did we ever feel like we out of the games vs Fresno State or SJSU? We lost those games by 1 score. Yes, I agree, the SJSU game was not as close.

Ok, I missed a thread somewhere along the way and have to ask the dumb question…. Who is Bo??
Ugg… you BB guys …. Love you 🥴
seriously, LOVE that you ask!!!!! And are on this thread now!!

he can add crazy upside on our current QB roster!!! - already in the system. Surprised he didn’t make playing time, but I can understand with how the season played out.

Interesting topic.
I just want to add that Corderio wasn't on those lists and we just saw up close and personal that he was the best QB in this league.
Maiava has had a very solid year. Easy pick for FOY. Local guy. He is nails. You want to keep him here.
Bringing in competition isn't a bad thing, obviously without promises.
It also depends on depth. If we lose Doug and Cameron you have to bring in another experienced guy.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
What happened with highly ranked QB transfers Harrison Bailey and Tate Martell? That’s my point.
Bailey was freakin’ great. Sucked the soul right outta Brumfield in the Reno game.

I wonder what he’s up to this year.

There were signs that Martell wasn’t going to work out and Bailey wasn’t the right fit here. All QB transfers aren’t bad and we don’t need Lamar Jackson here to be good but we do need competition here because clinging to just one guy is not the best plan. Anything could happen and you need to have the “next man up” mentality, it’s called depth!

Harrison Bailey was balling out last year. It's a shame we couldn't keep him. Dude could throw a ball.
I think the problem was he didnt fit into Marion's offense. Would he have worked, probably. But I dont think he fit and that was reason enough to go. I too think he definitely should've at least been in the conversation as the starter during Spring, but once that didnt happen and Maiava became the 2, it was portal time..

Okay now we have a name to bring up. Would yall like if they brought in KJ Jefferson to compete with Maiava?

Reactions: rebel5280
The only thing that Maiava needs to improve on is his speed. Quick enough when he is going but a little quicker first few steps would help him I think. Do we need to improve the qb room. I don't know, as I think the kid from Austin area can be really effective if he is healthy.

I wouldn’t bat an eye, tbh.

Loyalty doesn’t mean anything anymore … get the best, win. Kids are looking for the best NIL, coaches need to get the best they can get.

I don’t like it, not one bit. I’d rather have loyalty rule both ways. But it barely exists so you gotta play the game the way it’s being played.

I wouldn’t bat an eye, tbh.

Loyalty doesn’t mean anything anymore … get the best, win. Kids are looking for the best NIL, coaches need to get the best they can get.

I don’t like it, not one bit. I’d rather have loyalty rule both ways. But it barely exists so you gotta play the game the way it’s being played.
Grudgingly, I agree with you.

Okay now we have a name to bring up. Would yall like if they brought in KJ Jefferson to compete with Maiava?
If anything, this would thrust UNLV to the next category of football elite. Bring all the ballers we can and let it works itself out. Just as long as the coaching staff feels that is the right thing to do.

If anything, this would thrust UNLV to the next category of football elite. Bring all the ballers we can and let it works itself out. Just as long as the coaching staff feels that is the right thing to do.
(Ding, Ding, lol)...j/k
But seriously, I agree. If you can load up on talent and barnstorm your way into the CFB, even if it's the 1 yr rental do it... I think Maiava has a ton of potential and huge future at UNLV... but man it'd be hard to say no to that kind of talent, Maiava can always start the next year, lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT