ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava in portal...

This confuses me. I don't know what he could want. I guess the only thing would be a starting spot in P4.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This confuses me. I don't know what he could want. I guess the only thing would be a starting spot in P4.
And last week they all said they were coming back so that must've been one interesting post game flight/end of year meeting... What P4 job is he going to go to? There's not a lot of immediate openings

Someone told him they have $$$$.

So much for that Guaranteed Rate Bowl presser announcing your coming back for 2024. Guaranteed BS that was.
Wish him the best of luck on getting whatever it is he’s looking for.

As for us, that hurts. He’s the only dude that I can remember who could consistently hit on the deep ball. Was nice to have that for a change.

I sure hope there is a plan here?
If he got a bag, there is nothing we can do about that, the question is who’s next, White?

Now we need a pickup up in the portal!

I was told I was dumb and didn't know anything for saying I wanted a portal QB lmao
People may have called you dumb, but at the time, and in context, the argument for bringing in another player was for “competition” sake.

If everyone knew that Maiava was transferring out (which sounds like you knew the entire time), I’m sure their tune would’ve changed quickly.

People may have called you dumb, but at the time, and in context, the argument for bringing in another player was for “competition” sake.

If everyone knew that Maiava was transferring out (which sounds like you knew the entire time), I’m sure their tune would’ve changed quickly.
Yeah this is where the disconnect is

There are some good options available. I’m not that upset.

It’s a damn shame that these kids get pulled by their family and hustlers looking to make a dollar. This is a dirty business.

He was called dumb and was blocked by Brian Odom for some weird reason. I don’t know, the whole situation was weird.

Either way, I was one of the few that thought Maiava was not a fit for what Marion wants to do. I was surprised to hear he wanted to come back in the Guaranteed Rate presser, his demeanor and style didn’t mesh with the gogo. He is replaceable and Marion will get a dual threat guy to allow the offense to be even more dynamic.

I'm guessing that the staff is not shocked by this, and has some options. With today's CFB world, you almost have to expect to lose every player, whether or not it happens

Reactions: reagan21
While the GoGo “will adapt to any style of QB,” Maiava is a passer only. He didn’t do so well with the “option” pitch as he’d sometimes pitch it forward or just soft toss it to the back. That is something that can be improved but him not being a good runner really can’t improve much.

He was a good passer for us but I didn’t think that he was a great passer for a college QB.

We can bring in someone who fits the GoGo better. I don’t see Brumfield or Friel winning the job next season. Brumfield proved that he isn’t a good college QB. He’s a skinny, injury-prone Armani Rogers.

While the GoGo “will adapt to any style of QB,” Maiava is a passer only. He didn’t do so well with the “option” pitch as he’d sometimes pitch it forward or just soft toss it to the back. That is something that can be improved but him not being a good runner really can’t improve much.

He was a good passer for us but I didn’t think that he was a great passer for a college QB.

We can bring in someone who fits the GoGo better. I don’t see Brumfield or Friel winning the job next season. Brumfield proved that he isn’t a good college QB. He’s a skinny, injury-prone Armani Rogers.
I don’t think any of those guys will be in the running for first nor second string. It’s all portal.

I reserve the right to be wrong... but I'd much rather have a QB that was the starter for majority of season return with another offseason under his belt to work with his OC and develop into a better QB...
I like the known vs the unknown and right now, it looks like our better options out there are a bunch of former P5 backups with either no starting experience or very little and that scares me because it makes us dependent on that players HS skills translating into a complex system they aren't familiar with.

Whether it’s scary or not, it is the situation now. Maiava left and I was never one for not bringing in someone else to compete with Maiava. We need depth all over the place especially at QB. In today’s game, there needs to be another guy ready to go regardless. I’m hoping for someone that is a better fit!

Whether it’s scary or not, it is the situation now. Maiava left and I was never one for not bringing in someone else to compete with Maiava. We need depth all over the place especially at QB. In today’s game, there needs to be another guy ready to go regardless. I’m hoping for someone that is a better fit!
Correct. I'm just not going to say like some will that "we will be better off" and "The next starter will be better" till I see it on the field all year. I was all for getting a transfer to push and provide depth. Now we have to find a QB or we already have one ready to go that may or may not be "better" or an improvement.

I reserve the right to be wrong... but I'd much rather have a QB that was the starter for majority of season return with another offseason under his belt to work with his OC and develop into a better QB...
I like the known vs the unknown and right now, it looks like our better options out there are a bunch of former P5 backups with either no starting experience or very little and that scares me because it makes us dependent on that players HS skills translating into a complex system they aren't familiar with.
I’d rather have him. Familiarity with the offense, his receivers.

Don’t like that he can’t run well. I thought his reads were spotty much of the year but he was a freshman and it’s a new system … but I know his IQ was questionable from the start, it wasn’t his arm keeping him from beating out Doug. It was lack of recognition/poor reads. And we saw that during the year. That said, he performed far better than I think everyone expected and it was the primary reason for UNLV as an overall surprise.

Just don’t fall in love with players. They’re year to year rentals.

Don’t like that he can’t run well. I thought his reads were spotty much of the year but he was a freshman and it’s a new system … but I know his IQ was questionable from the start, it wasn’t his arm keeping him from beating out Doug. It was lack of recognition/poor reads. And we saw that during the year. That said, he performed far better than I think everyone expected and it was the primary reason for UNLV as an overall surprise.

I've taken the same approach with coaches as well. Both programs. Just leave it better than the last guy

I understand your point. I wanted a portal QB regardless if Maiava left. Friel and Doug will probably leave and that leaves us no depth.

Yes, I knew Maiava was leaving but you know how that goes when I say too much too early.

Last edited:
This is why I’m souring on college sports. Feel good story like JM, Liberty HS, leads UNLV to one of its best seasons, fans and the community are 100% behind him, and it just doesn’t f’n matter. Put yourself out there for a better offer. Zero loyalty, zero consideration for anyone but yourself. Yes I get it, it’s a business now, and that’s exactly why it’s gotten worse. Hell at least in the pros you can lock a player in by contract. Fans have more consistency in pro sports than college nowadays. Coaches are more long term than players. Horrible system.

This is what the off-season is for, the new guy will have plenty of time to get acclimated to the WR’s!

It will really suck if he goes to a G5 school. Even more if it's a MWC school. Especially if he's successful.

This is why I’m souring on college sports. Feel good story like JM, Liberty HS, leads UNLV to one of its best seasons, fans and the community are 100% behind him, and it just doesn’t f’n matter. Put yourself out there for a better offer. Zero loyalty, zero consideration for anyone but yourself. Yes I get it, it’s a business now, and that’s exactly why it’s gotten worse. Hell at least in the pros you can lock a player in by contract. Fans have more consistency in pro sports than college nowadays. Coaches are more long term than players. Horrible system.
I’m pretty much done with college sports. It’s become a meme of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT