ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava in portal...

Dude needs to figure out commitment and it's definition. Heading to UF would be a disaster for him, especially given the late nature of the hire. And Napier is a bit of an Offensive control freak given his running of things the last 2 years. Can't see why other than being around 5 star talent and $$ that it would be better career wise for Marion than turning UNLV offense into juggernaut

$$$

And because it's a much bigger stage than UNLV.

What if he turned Florida's offense into a juggernaut?

He's already shown he's ready at the drop of a hat to take HC interviews.

Honestly what's getting him bigger job offers?

Second year at UNLV.

Or

Showing his offense can work at the highest level..

That dude gets Florida offense rolling...

He's not entertaining calls from Utep anymore.

Last edited:
I’d take De Laura in a heart beat. I double as a coug fan and I thought he had so much potential after his freshman season. Granted, he was a bonehead… got a DUI, transferred, then acted like a little sissy in the presser before UA played WAZZU saying it was “personal” like it wasn’t his fault his career in Pullman went down the drain. Needless to say, he’s a step up from Maiava, can run and has a cannon… but will throw some picks.

Maiava was no stranger to picks himself...

Reactions: art8
$$$

And because it's a much bigger stage than UNLV.

What if he turned Florida's offense into a juggernaut?

He's already shown he's ready at the drop of a hat to take HC interviews.

Honestly what's getting him bigger job offers?

Second year at UNLV.

Or

Showing his offense can work at the highest level..

That dude gets Florida offense rolling...

He's not entertaining calls from Utep anymore.
Difference is, you can make mistakes at Utep and learn from it. You make a mistake in the SEC and they will not hesitate to can you on the spot.

Look at Sunbelt Billy, made a huge jump and struggled right out of the gate.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Difference is, you can make mistakes at Utep and learn from it. You make a mistake in the SEC and they will not hesitate to can you on the spot.

Look at Sunbelt Billy, made a huge jump and struggled right out of the gate.

Correct.

What I'm getting at is, if he lights it up at Florida as OC, the job interviews that come his way aren't going to be UTEP and the like. He's going to be getting upper end G5 lower end P4 looks.

Correct.

What I'm getting at is, if he lights it up at Florida as OC, the job interviews that come his way aren't going to be UTEP and the like. He's going to be getting upper end G5 lower end P4 looks.
I see your point but the odds are pretty low with Florida losing guys to the portal and Marion will be handcuffed by Sunbelt Billy in terms of game plan and playcalling. It will be a very short lived marriage.

OTOH, UNLV almost won conference and almost was ranked. If they can do those things next season, the offers will come and they will be more stable situations for Marion.

If Marion cared about stability or longevity that would have shown up before now. This is his 14th year coaching and he's had 12 jobs. If Florida comes and offers double your salary, and guarantees 2-3 years then you jump at that chance. He's had a positive effect on the offenses just about everywhere he's been, so I'm sure he could find work after.

If it's a real offer you have to think he's entertaining it, the downsides to it are relatively small and having P4 coordinator/play calling will help your CV if you have to look for a job after one year.

If Marion cared about stability or longevity that would have shown up before now. This is his 14th year coaching and he's had 12 jobs. If Florida comes and offers double your salary, and guarantees 2-3 years then you jump at that chance. He's had a positive effect on the offenses just about everywhere he's been, so I'm sure he could find work after.

If it's a real offer you have to think he's entertaining it, the downsides to it are relatively small and having P4 coordinator/play calling will help your CV if you have to look for a job after one year.
He’s not going to have anymore control than he did at Pitt/Texas. Florida’s top recruit in years said he anticipates Sunbelt Billy calling the plays. They will probably retain staff for another year and if it doesn’t work out they’ll be cleaning house.

He’s not going to have anymore control than he did at Pitt/Texas. Florida’s top recruit in years said he anticipates Sunbelt Billy calling the plays. They will probably retain staff for another year and if it doesn’t work out they’ll be cleaning house.
I don't think that first par is true. A WR coach, and a WR coach/passing game coordinator by default have less control than a coordinator. However, I think you've got a solid point about Napier if he's deciding to keep play calling duties I don't know that Marion will take that deal--unless he's coming with a high 6 figure contract. Then I think he might listen at least a little. And if he gets 3 years guaranteed, then I don't think he'll mind too much when Florida has to pay him for another 2 years (less what he gets from making money OCing someplace else). If, on the off chance Florida's offense gets turned around, there is way more upside there for moving on to head coach status. And I don't think Coach Marion minds packing his bags and moving on at all.

For the record, I do think that Napier is probably going to fail. The SEC really punishes you if you are a step behind in any facet of the game, and even guys with really good P4 track records have had hard times. But I don't think that necessarily means it's a bad professional move for Marion.

I have no qualms of Marion going to spread the word about his Gogo. Odom took a chance on it, and we as fans benefited from it. It will be nice while it lasts. I trust Odom will have a solution waiting in the wings just like when Petrino left. Marion has “exceeded expectations” in my book.

I wouldn’t say no to a substantial increase in income, especially with a kid on the way. I’d make that same choice. Double my salary for the same work in a more prestigious place? Sign me up. I’ve done it before, and I would absolutely do it again.

You can very well like where you work, like the work that you do, and like your co workers. You could be exemplary at your job and well recognized. But when push comes to shove, a company will set you outside to “protect business interests” without a second thought.

Same to Maiava. He performed better than expected. Good luck to him. Thank you for the “exceeded expectations” season.

Every time they mention Marion as a contender somewhere else or if they display his journey; I hope there are a few photos and highlights during his time here. I’ll take the free press.

I don't think that first par is true. A WR coach, and a WR coach/passing game coordinator by default have less control than a coordinator. However, I think you've got a solid point about Napier if he's deciding to keep play calling duties I don't know that Marion will take that deal--unless he's coming with a high 6 figure contract. Then I think he might listen at least a little. And if he gets 3 years guaranteed, then I don't think he'll mind too much when Florida has to pay him for another 2 years (less what he gets from making money OCing someplace else). If, on the off chance Florida's offense gets turned around, there is way more upside there for moving on to head coach status. And I don't think Coach Marion minds packing his bags and moving on at all.

For the record, I do think that Napier is probably going to fail. The SEC really punishes you if you are a step behind in any facet of the game, and even guys with really good P4 track records have had hard times. But I don't think that necessarily means it's a bad professional move for Marion.
Marion is not going to call any plays at Florida, Napier isn’t in a rush to hire a OC. He’s probably going to do his last season on his terms. His 5* QB said he was told Napier is calling the plays and is comfortable with the offensive staff.

To translate, that means Sale (ol/oc) will probably be retained for another season.

I thought he burned that bridge when he said Florida has no integrity.

So, in general, the way modern college football works I'm never surprised or hurt if a guy hits the portal, especially if I think they're at a talent level where they're not going to be playing on Sundays and the can make some coin while doing it. That's just capitalism But I don't like it when someone says something, and then was clearly using that statement just as a lever to get a better deal and changes their tune. I guess that's sort of capitalism, too but I value my word too strongly to say something publicly then change my position due to self-interest. But the kid didn't just lie to me, he lied to his teammates and the coaching staff. He gave his word, appeared in social media giving his word, etc, then reneged. Had he just said, "I'm still considering my options but I'm leaning towards staying," then I'd have no beef.

But I do kind of have beef now and I hope he's happy where he goes, but I'm glad it's not here anymore.
This reminds me of Nick Saban when he coached the Dolphins

Reactions: Couev
Looks like Malachi will be taking that potato money. I mean isn’t there anyone in this town who can outbid Boise?
Makes me wonder just how underwhelming he must of looked at SC. I was wondering why SC was trying hard to get someone like Cam Ward...If the rule about unlimited transfers sticks, he’ll likely be gone after a year if he does well.

Malachi has been checked out of football mentally since his senior year at Los Al. These past few months have been a reality check for him.

I know people in his camp and they've even admitted it.

Malachi has been checked out of football mentally since his senior year at Los Al. These past few months have been a reality check for him.

Makes sense as to why he’s in this position

Yet somehow he'll get a nice NIL check from someone, compete for a starting job, if he doesnt get it, ride the bench for a year or 2, then do it all again...

Any chance Maiava doesn’t go elsewhere? DB entered last year and removed himself. Not being naive but I would also be a bit surprised a P4 school would hand him a starting role. He got a helluva lot of national pub for playing at UNLV. If he can’t secure a starting job at a P4, is his best move to return to UNLV?

He was the top freshman QB in NCAA last season with a ton of passing yards and TDs.. What else would he be ranked. Dont be fooled by the negativity on his "skills". Wherever he ends up, if he has a shot at being the starter, hes going to do well.

Cuts down on turnovers yes.

If his 2-1 TD to INT ratio continues he'll be back in the portal after being benched.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Any chance Maiava doesn’t go elsewhere? DB entered last year and removed himself. Not being naive but I would also be a bit surprised a P4 school would hand him a starting role. He got a helluva lot of national pub for playing at UNLV. If he can’t secure a starting job at a P4, is his best move to return to UNLV?
Based on what weve been fed on here, not likely. His and Marion's relationship doesnt seem stable and thats what has created the rub for him to go elsewhere. Unless BM isnt around, I doubt he would return.

I feel like Marion definitely made idiotic play calls and then got mad at JM on the sidelines - you could just tell from the body language he looks to blame others at times when he knows he did something stupid. Maybe JM had enough of that, but well never know

He was the top freshman QB in NCAA last season with a ton of passing yards and TDs.. What else would he be ranked. Dont be fooled by the negativity on his "skills". Wherever he ends up, if he has a shot at being the starter, hes going to do well.
I never wanted to lose him, but understand loyalty changes in a second with this new NIL world!

I feel like Marion definitely made idiotic play calls and then got mad at JM on the sidelines - you could just tell from the body language he looks to blame others at times when he knows he did something stupid. Maybe JM had enough of that, but well never know
Rumor is Maiava could not make the correct reads and/or understand the playbook.

He’s thrown into double and triple coverage for whatever reason.

I’d be shocked he starts at USC. Is being #2 at USC better than being the starter at UNLV?
I would be surprised if he starts too I only saw Moss play two quarters in their bowl game but he looked good. On the other hand I don't see anyone agreeing to be a backup and potentially never playing over having a starting role locked up. So I would think he is going planning to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT