ADVERTISEMENT

How many games will we be favored?

Off the top of my head...

Probably one.

Vs SJSU at home.

Other possible games

Maybe pick'em at CSU.
And possibly Hawaii based on home teams edge in this series..

Wyoming should be a win

Why do you think that?

They have some flaws for sure.

Not particularly good on defense. At least not against the pass..

Offense is a bit limited because of their QBs limitations in the passing game.

But...

Its in Laramie where UNLV has struggled over the years.

This will be their coaches 3rd look at Sanchez. There is another thread detailing how bad Sanchez has been the second time facing a coach. Its pretty damning.

Its at altitude. And our defense has worn down in games.

If the offense struggles to maintain possession it could be a real long day for the defense.

Wyoming has a P5 win this year. They could enter the game 4-0 (although I think they may lose their next one to Tulsa).

Rebs could be facing a pretty confident Cowboy squad.

UNLV will be in as close to a must win scenario as you can have in week four of a season. Not to mention the fact the coach is very much on the hot seat. Thats a lot of pressure and outside noise.

All I know is they need to win it to keep on track for 6 wins and Sanchez' record in these type of games is not good.

I think they match up well with Wyoming. But, its hard to have a lot of comfidence at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarthogRebel
Wyoming should be a win

Wyoming will be a tough trip for the Rebels.

Aside from losses on all of their last 5 trips to Laramie, the Rebels are not performing as well as the Cowboys. In Wyo's three games this season they have outscored their opponents 81-37 in the final 3 quarters of games (Q2,3,4).

I don't see how a roadie in altitude (with tough travel) against a possible 4-0 team with a big P5 victory under its belt should be a win.

Could be a win? Sure. we do have an extra week to prepare.

But that hasn't serve us all that well. Remember that home drubbing against a bad UNM team after a bye?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Wyoming quarterback Sean Chambers has similiar struggles as Armani.
Coming off of a bye week to prepare for a fellow one dimensional offense, Sanchez should be able to come up with a decently effective game plan to pull off a win.

Coming off of a bye week to prepare for a fellow one dimensional offense, Sanchez should be able to come up with a decently effective game plan to pull off a win.
Agree with the above. Not saying this should result in a 100% win, but I'm not 100% sold on this Wyoming team just yet.

Yes, they took care of Mizzou in Week 1. However, WYO had a +3 TO margin and only won by 6 points.

Week 2, they beat Texas State on the road by 9, with a +2 TO margin. Texas State appears to be a bad team, but they still netted +150 yards in total offense compared to WYO.

Last week, WYO beat a crappy Idaho team by 5 at home. WYO put up only 287 total yards in this game.

Point being, WYO's record looks impressive right now, and they do have a win against a SEC team. However, as far as our schedule goes, this should be one of the easier road games on the year (2nd to only CSU). If the season is going to right itself, it must start with a W at Wyoming. Stick with a game plan and win the turnover battle and there is a realistic chance at victory.

Reactions: willlevi
ESPN "matchup predictor" shows us a dog in every game except San Jose.

IMO, if we lose every game up until San Jose the team will have rolled over and who knows what the outcome could be.

Last year.

He had an extra week to prepare for UNM.

A one dimensional team.

And got run off the field.

At home.

My confidence in Sanchez game planning prowess is pretty low at this point...

I think Rebs match up well. But I wouldn't bet a dime on them.

ESPN "matchup predictor" shows us a dog in every game except San Jose.

IMO, if we lose every game up until San Jose the team will have rolled over and who knows what the outcome could be.

If they lose every game up to that point.....

I'm typically against mid season firings..

But it would be completely justifiable in that scenario.

Agree with the above. Not saying this should result in a 100% win, but I'm not 100% sold on this Wyoming team just yet.

Yes, they took care of Mizzou in Week 1. However, WYO had a +3 TO margin and only won by 6 points.

Week 2, they beat Texas State on the road by 9, with a +2 TO margin. Texas State appears to be a bad team, but they still netted +150 yards in total offense compared to WYO.

Last week, WYO beat a crappy Idaho team by 5 at home. WYO put up only 287 total yards in this game.

Point being, WYO's record looks impressive right now, and they do have a win against a SEC team. However, as far as our schedule goes, this should be one of the easier road games on the year (2nd to only CSU). If the season is going to right itself, it must start with a W at Wyoming. Stick with a game plan and win the turnover battle and there is a realistic chance at victory.

Why should UNLV be favored or expected to win any game.

Wyoming has 8,8 and 6 wins the last three years.

I get thinking UNLV matches up well.

But UNLV matched up well with...

SJSU and UNM last year. Bowl hopes were still viable and they got rolled.

I hate to be the negative guy...

But Sanchez lost by double digits to San Jose State last year. Rebs were their only win...

Sure Wyoming's record may be inflated...

But they have a win over a P5 school.

We beat...SUU..

Rebels got killed at home by a school from the Sun Belt with a QB making his second career start..

With Sanchez resume at this point..I don't think any game can be viewed as a should win..

I would go take a look at the thread detailing Sanchez' record vs coaches he's faced a second time.

Its bad...Real bad..

I think Rebs will be competitive. Its a game they have a legitimate chance to win.

Maybe its semantics but I can't look at any game as a 'should' win anymore.

I think there's enough talent on this team to be competing for a bowl bid.

I have little faith in the guy with the headset anymore.

Last edited:
If they lose every game up to that point.....

I'm typically against mid season firings..

But it would be completely justifiable in that scenario.
I fully expected DRF to swing the axe had UNLV been boat raced at Northwestern last weekend but a somewhat respectable loss bought him 2 more weeks due to the bye. From here on out it is week by week depending on how bad the loss is, what our bowl possibilities look like and does she feel more confident in somebody presently on staff to take over on an interim basis.

No inside info just a gut feeling.

I would much rather see Rogers moved to receiver and have Oblad or Gilliam come in and light it up cause after 3 years I just can’t see Armani suddenly turning into a QB.

Why should UNLV be favored or expected to win any game.

Wyoming has 8,8 and 6 wins the last three years.

I get thinking UNLV matches up well.

But UNLV matched up well with...

SJSU and UNM last year. Bowl hopes were still viable and they got rolled.

I hate to be the negative guy...

But Sanchez lost by double digits to San Jose State last year. Rebs were their only win...

Sure Wyoming's record may be inflated...

But they have a win over a P5 school.

We beat...SUU..

Rebels got killed at home by a school from the Sun Belt with a QB making his second career start..

With Sanchez resume at this point..I don't think any game can be viewed as a should win..

I would go take a look at the thread detailing Sanchez' record vs coaches he's faced a second time.

Its bad...Real bad..

I think Rebs will be competitive. Its a game they have a legitimate chance to win.

Maybe its semantics but I can't look at any game as a 'should' win anymore.

I think there's enough talent on this team to be competing for a bowl bid.

I have little faith in the guy with the headset anymore.
Where did I say we should be favored or expected to win?

I will say again, if the season is going to right itself, then this is a must W game.

If TS can’t pull off a win at Wyo, then looks like the season isnt going to right itself. If that’s the case, we’ll have a new coach heading into the new stadium next season.

Either way this goes, next year is looking up.

I dont think he is fired mid season.... I am sure the search continues to go on behind the scenes though.

Let him have his 5 years, thank him for his committment to the school and the city.

Thank his backers for thier financial committments.

All parties have had thier chance to prove themselves.

Time to move on.

We will be in a better spot than we were 5 years ago. Just not where we need to be.

Where did I say we should be favored or expected to win?

I will say again, if the season is going to right itself, then this is a must W game.

If TS can’t pull off a win at Wyo, then looks like the season isnt going to right itself. If that’s the case, we’ll have a new coach heading into the new stadium next season.

Either way this goes, next year is looking up.

I didn't say you did specifically.

But you quoted Will, saying I agree with this.

Will said UNLV 'should win'

Unless you were agreeing with a different part of his statement.

I dont think he is fired mid season.... I am sure the search continues to go on behind the scenes though.

Let him have his 5 years, thank him for his committment to the school and the city.

Thank his backers for thier financial committments.

All parties have had thier chance to prove themselves.

Time to move on.

We will be in a better spot than we were 5 years ago. Just not where we need to be.

Season isn't over.

Beating Wyoming would keep them on pace for a six win season.

But through three games it sure looks a lot like last year.

I didn't say you did specifically.

But you quoted Will, saying I agree with this.

Will said UNLV 'should win'

Unless you were agreeing with a different part of his statement.
I agreed that TS should be able to put a game plan together to beat WYO, who is a team that should not scare anyone. IMO, WYO is not as strong of a team as people are making them out to be.

If TS fails, then the season is most likely lost, and we end up with a new coach next year.

I agreed that TS should be able to put a game plan together to beat WYO, who is a team that should not scare anyone. IMO, WYO is not as strong of a team as people are making them out to be.

If TS fails, then the season is most likely lost, and we end up with a new coach next year.

What leads you to believe Tony Sanchez can put a game plan together to beat Wyoming.

I'm asking honestly not sarcastically..

Like I said look at the thread that discusses Sanchez' record facing a coach a second time.

Its brutal.

The coaches he beat 1st meeting were all close victories. He was beat by double digits in the second meeting in most cases.

I think the Rebels should be able to compete because of the guys inside the lines. I think UNLV is at least equal to Wyoming in terms of talent if not more talented.

Its the dude with the headset that makes me nervous at this point.

What leads you to believe Tony Sanchez can put a game plan together to beat Wyoming.

I'm asking honestly not sarcastically..

Like I said look at the thread that discusses Sanchez' record facing a coach a second time.

Its brutal.

The coaches he beat 1st meeting were all close victories. He was beat by double digits in the second meeting in most cases.

I think the Rebels should be able to compete because of the guys inside the lines. I think UNLV is at least equal to Wyoming in terms of talent if not more talented.

Its the dude with the headset that makes me nervous at this point.
I’ll re-state my point for a 3rd time.

UNLV should beat this WYO team. Not predicting a win. I’m saying the expectation is there, as it should be. IMO, WYO is not as tough as they seem. See my post above with reasons why I think this.

Based on previous results, who knows what’s going to happen.

If TS does not pull it out, then he’s gone since there is next to no chance he makes a bowl game. That’s it. New coach on the horizon. Hopefully it’s a hire that can draw up excitement to go along with the new stadium.

Bohl vs Sanchez has actually been one of the few exceptions. But the Bohl/Sanchez matchups have followed the strong "home team wins" tendency, which doesn't fare well for the Rebels this season.

The last meeting between Wyoming and UNLV was the 69-66 3OT Rebel shootout win in Las Vegas. It was Kurt Pallendech's career day - 3 TD passes, no turnovers, and 157 yards rushing including a 76 yard TD run late in the 4th quarter. The Rebels produced 653 yards of offense and committed just one turnover, while the Cowboys had 485 yards but committed four turnovers.

Last edited:
Bohl vs Sanchez has actually been one of the few exceptions. But the Bohl/Sanchez matchups have followed the strong "home team wins" tendency, which doesn't fare well for the Rebels this season.

The last meeting between Wyoming and UNLV was the 69-66 3OT Rebel shootout win in Las Vegas. It was Kurt Pallendech's career day - 3 TD passes, no turnovers, and 157 yards rushing including a 76 yard TD run late in the 4th quarter. The Rebels produced 653 yards of offense and committed just one turnover, while the Cowboys had 485 yards but committed four turnovers.

I think that is a game that I was unable to watch..

Yikes. To win in triple overtime with a near 200 offensive yardage advantage and a +3 turnover battle is rough. That on a career Kurt day. Hard to remember him connecting on 3 TD passes, let alone the completions on a given game!

And we lost to them for their whopping 2nd win of the season that year.

I’ll re-state my point for a 3rd time.

UNLV should beat this WYO team. Not predicting a win. I’m saying the expectation is there, as it should be. IMO, WYO is not as tough as they seem. See my post above with reasons why I think this.

Based on previous results, who knows what’s going to happen.

If TS does not pull it out, then he’s gone since there is next to no chance he makes a bowl game. That’s it. New coach on the horizon. Hopefully it’s a hire that can draw up excitement to go along with the new stadium.

Honestly not trying to be difficult.

But..

Maybe its a difference in how we view the word should..

'Tony should be able to put a gameplan together'

His record states otherwise. These are exactly the type of games he's been blown out in.

'Wyoming is not as tough as they seem'

Agreed. They have some flaws. They look a lot like this UNLV squad in fact. I think UNLV matches up well athlete for athlete. Its a game where UNLV 'should' be competitive.

Maybe you are viewing it as UNLV 'should' win based on its year 5 and these are the type of teams UNLV should be beating if there has been growth.

I'm viewing it as, based on Coach Sanchez history and current play by his team, its hard to say they should beat anybody anymore.

And that's the disconnect..

I'm starting to think the books were right at 4 wins. I thought it was a 5 win team with a chance at 6...

Last edited:

Correct.

UNLV should be able to move the ball.

If there is a game Armani could get 'right' it would be vs this Wyoming pass defense.

You could flip Wyoming and UNLV in that statement and it would also be true.

That's the problem..

Exactly. It's a pick em game at best on a neutral field.

Now in Wyoming, with the altitude, the extra travel...

Exactly. It's a pick em game at best on a neutral field.

Now in Wyoming, with the altitude, the extra travel...

The teams are near mirror images of each other.

Wyoming's 3-0 start is a little fluky.

But wins are wins.

I could totally see UNLV going to Laramie and stealing a win.

I could also see the Rebels wear down and lose by two + scores.

But wins are wins.

inconceivable.jpg

But wins are wins.

And I could see DRF swinging the axe after the game.

Heeeerreee’s Dezzzzzy!

Her THE SHINING moment!

And I could see DRF swinging the axe after the game.

Heeeerreee’s Dezzzzzy!

Her THE SHINING moment!

That's funny. But I don't think so..

When you break this game down by position matchups etc lot of things point to UNLV having a realistic chance to come away with the win.

Which makes this one of those games we typically walk away from scratching our collective heads thinking what the hell just happened.

The only way I could see an in season firing would be if things went really South and it looked like the team had stopped playing for him.

Something like 1-7. And at that point there are only 4 games left. What would you gain out of it.

He's got plenty of season to get this figured out. The remaining schedule will make it tough though..

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm viewing it as, based on Coach Sanchez history and current play by his team, its hard to say they should beat anybody anymore.

And that's the disconnect..
Agreed and that is fair. I don’t blame anyone for having absolutely zero faith in TS.

I’m still looking at this situation as very black and white. Been that way since after last season when he was given the ultimatum.

Win and we keep moving forward along the same path.

Lose, and we’re on to the next coach.

Pretty simple situation if you ask me with the picture becoming clearer as each game goes by.

Agreed and that is fair. I don’t blame anyone for having absolutely zero faith in TS.

I’m still looking at this situation as very black and white. Been that way since after last season when he was given the ultimatum.

Win and we keep moving forward along the same path.

Lose, and we’re on to the next coach.

Pretty simple situation if you ask me with the picture becoming clearer as each game goes by.

Pretty much...

The defense has played better.

Sort of...

They are 101 in total defense.
They are struggling to stop the run.
Aren't forcing many turnovers.
Are on pace for about 20 sacks which is just not going to get it done.

But they have kept the Rebs in games.

Even the Ark State game they played a decent first half.

But if the offense continues to struggle, they could start to wear down.

I wasn't as high as some heading into the season.

I thought this was a 5 win team that would need help/breaks to get to 6 wins.

But I didn't think they would be facing essentially a must win in the fourth game of the year.

I hate to say it, but we are pretty much where I expected at this point.

I was hopeful about a win with Ark State, but wasn't automatically chalking it up as a "dubya" like most people. Sure we played them tough on the road last season. But the weather made it flukely, we do better when it's tough to pass for everyone. Plus they have one of the longest group of 5 bowl streaks for a reason. They are good, at least much better than us.

NW was never a game we could realistically win. Hanging for a half then getting blown out feels exactly right.

Good news? Wyoming may not be as good as their record, Vandy looks to be worse than last year. Hard to chalk them up as wins, but at least win opportunities.

Bad news, rest of the conference still looks better, though maybe not as they did week 1.

I always thought 2-4 wins, more if Armani made a leap.

I hate to say it, but we are pretty much where I expected at this point.

I was hopeful about a win with Ark State, but wasn't automatically chalking it up as a "dubya" like most people. Sure we played them tough on the road last season. But the weather made it flukely, we do better when it's tough to pass for everyone. Plus they have one of the longest group of 5 bowl streaks for a reason. They are good, at least much better than us.

NW was never a game we could realistically win. Hanging for a half then getting blown out feels exactly right.

Good news? Wyoming may not be as good as their record, Vandy looks to be worse than last year. Hard to chalk them up as wins, but at least win opportunities.

Bad news, rest of the conference still looks better, though maybe not as they did week 1.

I always thought 2-4 wins, more if Armani made a leap.

Northwestern games was always going to be competitive for a few reasons.

1: Their style of play rarely leads to blowouts.

2: They have Michigan State this week. Pretty sure they weren't going to show a lot.

Watching the game in person, Northwestern wasn't noticeably bigger or faster. Something you definitely saw in other P5 matchups like West Virginia or Ohio State or even Michigan..

Rebels had every opportunity to win that game.

But an interception and two fumbles basically squashed any chance.

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT