ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Decommits

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Its going to be a tough task to keep all of our commits intact from now until signing day. Sadly, thats part of the game. Which commit(s) do you guys think we will lose? 2 commits come straight to mind but I was wondering what you guys thought?

Last edited:
While I am a Utah fan first, I also want UNLV to succeed. I think it is a very bad and counterproductive idea to speculate about decommits in any public forum. It puts doubts in the minds of recruits mentioned and their families. You wait and let things play out. You hope that your staff has an internal list of such things and a plan to handle such contingencies.

Reactions: RRebel
While I am a Utah fan first, I also want UNLV to succeed. I think it is a very bad and counterproductive idea to speculate about decommits in any public forum. It puts doubts in the minds of recruits mentioned and their families. You wait and let things play out. You hope that your staff has an internal list of such things and a plan to handle such contingencies.
Thats fair and I apologize that it came off this way. I was just wondering if anyone on here is thinking of the same people. Several people have DM'd me on Twitter about this exact subject and told me who they thought would end up decommitting/are using UNLV as a safeplace until/if another offer turns committable. I just brought the convo here.

Decommits happen; thats definitely a part of all of this and everyone should do what is best for them and their family, but it sucks to see that kids are committed knowing that they will not end up signing because they are waiting on another offer to be committable. This does not apply to just UNLV. It happens everywhere. Oftentimes, this tactic becomes reality because of a recruits family pushing them to commit temporarily so their spot is held or to strong-arm a school for more NIL. Its a bad precedent because it takes a spot from another kid who may actually want to be here.

I've never come on here and bashed a kid for signing or not signing, but my question is not much different than when we got the highly ranked LB to commit and a lot of people, including those on here were speculating how we got the kid and if he would even sign. Its also similar to when people were speculating if Coach Marion would leave after this season. These discussions happen and as long as its not a hate campaign on the recruit, I think its fair game.

Last edited:
I have seen this staff stay very aggressive on the recruiting trail. I think things will work out nicely in 24 and 25.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Its also similar to when people were speculating if Coach Marion would leave after this season. These discussions happen and as long as its not a hate campaign on the recruit, I think its fair game.
If Marion leaves, the QB is gone for sure. I hope both remain, but I'm being realistic.

Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama lose commits so this isn't unique to lil' old UNLV.

If Marion leaves, the QB is gone for sure. I hope both remain, but I'm being realistic.

Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama lose commits so this isn't unique to lil' old UNLV.
This is the move that could hurt the most, let’s hope he stays. I wouldn’t mind him hanging around here as a potential HC, if Odom gets poached!

Lets spice this board up. Here is some tea.

Marion is definitely the key. QB is for sure gone if Marion leaves like @bcvegaspt said. I can say one staff member didnt seem happy that he took that other official visit.

One of the WR commits is gone regardless imo. Hasnt taken a visit here and the staff took his commitment after the QB commit pushed for it. They had to do additional "research" on him. He has other better offers. Who knows if they are committable but one would think they are not as of now.

The QB commit also pushed for the staff to take another commitment of a good offensive player and a friend of the qb who has SEC/Big 12 offers but they said no. I was told there was some back and forth there, heated words exchanged, and a lot of drama between the staff and that recruit. Obviously I cant say exactly what happened on here. Not sure how the qb commit feels about all that.

I also think of the defensive commits will eventually flip to the other school on his final list. They've been pressing for him hard and he posted their official offer letter to him. That means something. No other commits have posted official offer letters on social media besides him. Also, there was a comment on a post earlier this summer that mentioned the reasons why it would be hard for him to leave home.

Last edited:
Lets spice this board up. Here is some tea.

Marion is definitely the key. QB is for sure gone if Marion leaves like @bcvegaspt said. I can say one staff member didnt seem happy that he took that other official visit.

One of the WR commits is gone regardless imo. Hasnt taken a visit here and the staff took his commitment after the QB commit pushed for it. They had to do additional "research" on him. He has other better offers. Who knows if they are committable but one would think they are not as of now.

The QB also pushed for the staff to take another commitment of a good offensive player and a friend of the qb who has SEC/Big 12 offers but they said no. I was told there was some back and forth there, heated words exchanged, and a lot of drama. Obviously I cant say exactly what happened on here. Not sure how the qb feels about all that.

I also think of the defensive commits will eventually flip to the other school on his final list. They've been pressing for him hard and he posted their official offer letter to him. That means something. No other commits have posted official offer letters on social media besides him. Also, there was a comment on a post earlier this summer that mentioned the reasons why it would be hard for him to leave home.
A lot of drama with a new season ready to kickoff. Let's just win a bowl game this year and work with some momentum. Work with players that want to be here and not with guys swinging their balls around like we owe them something.

I hear what everybody saying. And I respect it. But let’s see what Marion does first.
Or it could just be the opposite of the usual “wait and see” stuff that is said on this board all the time? Marion‘s system has beat us before with less.. if things materialize and Odom gets gone, Marion should get the nod or maybe that would be too proactive for the conservatives around here!

FWIW, I have come across a family member of our 2024 Houston based QB recruit. He seems to be excited about being a rebel at the moment at the least.
Can confirm that the family is excited. I was told by the family that they are "all in" and excited to help change the culture and expectations. Again, this changes if/when Marion leaves. Thats how much pull Marion has.

Also, love the profile pic @dcut03 !

Or it could just be the opposite of the usual “wait and see” stuff that is said on this board all the time? Marion‘s system has beat us before with less.. if things materialize and Odom gets gone, Marion should get the nod or maybe that would be too proactive for the conservatives around here!
It would take a miracle season for Odom to be poached after one year. Marion is a little different. He is a known commodity in his own right, and I think many are waiting to see if his system will work at at least a G5 level before him getting a job. I do think that he probably is looking for a HC job, but OC at a major program would probably entice him enough, just because it could set up a more prestigious HC job.
So Marion is much more likely to be poached before Odom. So the idea that Marion takes over for Odom seems less likely, still possible. But IF that were to happen, it would probably mean Odom was successful for 3 straight year minimum AND Marion decided to stick around the entire time.

Theres no way Odom gets poached after this season. Give it 2-3 seasons and its a possibility.

With Marion, I can definitely see him taking taking an OC job for a SMU, Tulane, or Memphis type of school. He would take those OC jobs in a heartbeat. Schools on that level would definitely give him a HC job if he was their OC and the HC gets fired.

Theres no way Odom gets poached after this season. Give it 2-3 seasons and its a possibility.

With Marion, I can definitely see him taking taking an OC job for a SMU, Tulane, or Memphis type of school. He would take those OC jobs in a heartbeat. Schools on that level would definitely give him a HC job if he was their OC and the HC gets fired.
What sort of season do you think it would take for Marion to be hired away? We had 5 wins last season, so getting 5-6 this year wouldn't be that much of an improvement overall. Maybe 7-8 wins? Or some explosive offensive outbursts anyways?

Also, once the rest of the team, and staff, including Odom, learn the offense, do you think that we would hire someone to take his place and keep the same scheme? We'd have all the playbooks, designs, etc, so if it was successful, it seems like we could keep it going, even without him. Yeah, we'd likely lose the QB recruit, but maybe we could pick up another one looking to play in that sort of system.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
What sort of season do you think it would take for Marion to be hired away? We had 5 wins last season, so getting 5-6 this year wouldn't be that much of an improvement overall. Maybe 7-8 wins? Or some explosive offensive outbursts anyways?

Also, once the rest of the team, and staff, including Odom, learn the offense, do you think that we would hire someone to take his place and keep the same scheme? We'd have all the playbooks, designs, etc, so if it was successful, it seems like we could keep it going, even without him. Yeah, we'd likely lose the QB recruit, but maybe we could pick up another one looking to play in that sort of system.
I think it depends on how effective the offense is. If it is similar to Arroyo, where is can be decent, but often stalls, and defense makes plays and wins us some games then I don't think he gets poached.

If Marion can really get the GO GO going, (lol) then it will get people's attention. They want 300 passing yards and 100 rushing yards on average. If they can pull that off, or surpass it, then I can see him get hired away quickly.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don’t even want to think about it. We all know it’s going to happen…I’ll just cheer for the kids who sign and stay. The end.
Taking it a step further, I’ll just root for who’s here come game 1. In today’s landscape, it’s difficult to get too excited about anything. Good players will seek better competition at Powers 3/4 schools. With NIL involved now, I don’t blame them. Just have to hope that we can replace with similar caliber players that seek more playing time by going “down” a level. The fluidity of it all takes the fun out of recruiting a bit IMO. But to use one of the most overstated lines ever, “it is what it is”.

All I’m saying is “if” that’s it!

We all know UNLV is a coaching graveyard and if Odom goes bowling year 1 with 7-8 wins, his name will be out there. It may be harder to hold on to Marion after a good year but I would love him to be the HC in waiting!

All I’m saying is “if” that’s it!

We all know UNLV is a coaching graveyard and if Odom goes bowling year 1 with 7-8 wins, his name will be out there. It may be harder to hold on to Marion after a good year but I would love him to be the HC in waiting!
Odom is here 2 years, not after 1 unless things went extremely well... 1 good year to establish, 1 to win 10-11 games or more and MWC championship or more... he goes back to Big 12/SEC Midwest roots...
Yeah it's dreaming, yeah it's lofty, and yeah I have nothing other than gut to go on... but everything I can read into a Midwest coach moving West to a smaller school with big resources and that's the truth I see when you hire the way he did and we did...

Marion has shown that it doesn't matter what kind of season his teams have. He's just one of those guys who hops jobs. I'm similar. I like working at a new place, but about 6 months in, I start getting that itch to leave.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT