ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado will discuss move to the Big 12 tomorrow.

What is so sad about the current state of UNLV right now, is that if the basketball program was at the level it was under Lon Kruger and with all of the major infrastructure improvements in football, even with the lack of winning in football the chances of UNLV to the Big XII would have increased in a major way IMO.

This is the school that fired Jerry Tarkanian. Been tripping over their own feet for its entire history, no reason to think that after all of these years they get it right by now...

There wont be a Pac 12...

And I dont think athletics performance isn't necessarily the only driver for selecting who is up next. Our facilities scream P5, the city is a destination, and our other programs on campus have been recently or are competitive enough to match some P5 schools... and also if you were the Big 12 school Presidents/ADs, while competitive teams are great, bottom dwellers are just fine as long as your TV market brings value... Vegas market value is exploding and Harper has the Big 12 connections, time to use those

2024 All things will be revealed. Pac12 media rights will finally have some clarity. The NFL YouTube streaming model will have a year of data to ascertain the value of streaming. Geography will still play a big deal in this. Has anyone checked out flights these days the prices are crazy. ESPN is cost cutting right now balance sheets are being audited. Costs of travel costs of NIL deals the margins? Bigger is not always better. If the Pac12 has a guaranteed playoff conference winner why would Oregon or Washington leave. SDSU UNLV and SMU are my replacements. They all have infrastructure for P5 levels competitive non revenue sports and are destination cities. They don't need Fresno, San Jose, Boise or CSU.

Reactions: Vegas_Sooner21
What is so sad about the current state of UNLV right now, is that if the basketball program was at the level it was under Lon Kruger and with all of the major infrastructure improvements in football, even with the lack of winning in football the chances of UNLV to the Big XII would have increased in a major way IMO.
It’s extremely disappointing to know we just haven’t had a leader remotely competent.

Arizona will more than likely jump to the Big 12 with Colorado. PAC will try and survive and I would be surprised if they didn't. PAC won't drop below 10 so I expect SDSU and SMU to get invites soon. If two more get taken from the PAC then I think UNLV gets an invite. I know many consider it a watered down PAC but even at that better than the MWC. If the PAC reconstructs I am guessing they will try and follow the big conferences and have more than just the west coast and go after teams through the south and midwest. Better than the current MWC
Oregon St
Washington St
Cal
SDSU
SMU
UNLV
Tulane
CSU
UTSA
UCONN
Memphis
Tulsa
East Carolina
Hawaii/Gonzaga
If the PAC just raids the mwc they will never get any kind of a TV deal because there isn't enough eyes on the tv's if everything is in the west.

If they lose 3 more schools (AZ,ORG,UW) they are done. NCAA rules mandate A Football conference 7 members. Again I not sure any MWC schools have the $$$$ to pay the 34 Million exit fee. The only way to fix this is to Merge ASAP!!

Reactions: TimothyC3
Float a revenue bond. @ $ 2 mil a year to cover the bond payment. More than covered with additional revenue.

If they lose 3 more schools (AZ,ORG,UW) they are done. NCAA rules mandate A Football conference 7 members. Again I not sure any MWC schools have the $$$$ to pay the 34 Million exit fee. The only way to fix this is to Merge ASAP!!
If multiple MW teams get poached that $34 million fee will cease to exist. I’ve made this comment a ton on multiple forums but no team that’s joined a new conference during the recent moves has been forced to actually pay the full amount. None. I’d be floored if any team leaving the MW actually paid 34 million.

Arizona will more than likely jump to the Big 12 with Colorado. PAC will try and survive and I would be surprised if they didn't. PAC won't drop below 10 so I expect SDSU and SMU to get invites soon. If two more get taken from the PAC then I think UNLV gets an invite. I know many consider it a watered down PAC but even at that better than the MWC. If the PAC reconstructs I am guessing they will try and follow the big conferences and have more than just the west coast and go after teams through the south and midwest. Better than the current MWC
Oregon St
Washington St
Cal
SDSU
SMU
UNLV
Tulane
CSU
UTSA
UCONN
Memphis
Tulsa
East Carolina
Hawaii/Gonzaga
If the PAC just raids the mwc they will never get any kind of a TV deal because there isn't enough eyes on the tv's if everything is in the west.
It’s so strange to me why SMU seems like such a slam dunk. They’ve got money and education but their sports have been meh. They’re obviously is the city of Dallas and a major market but growing up in Dallas and having done my undergraduate at OU, I can tell you there are a ton of OU, UT and Aggie alums in Dallas so this idea that SMU captures that massive market just doesn’t quite land with me.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
It’s so strange to me why SMU seems like such a slam dunk. They’ve got money and education but their sports have been meh. They’re obviously is the city of Dallas and a major market but growing up in Dallas and having done my undergraduate at OU, I can tell you there are a ton of OU, UT and Aggie alums in Dallas so this idea that SMU captures that massive market just doesn’t quite land with me.
I don't understand it either... yeah, it's Dallas/Texas market, but no one is tuning in to see SMU vs Cal over Texas vs LSU in same time slot... and are they anymore athletically ahead of the big 4 of MWC(Boise, UNLV, SDSU, CSU)?

The reason SMU is so attractive is due to the money they bring in research. We are not talking $10-$20 million but in the hundreds of millions of $$$. Not always is it about sports sometimes it really is about academics and in this case research. That is also why Tulane has been thrown around as an option

In terms of SMU vs say UNLV there are some parallels.

Right now not a huge share of the markets that each school is a part of. College sports fans in each city have a hierarchy of fans well above the local school.

The difference is the DFW market is soo much bigger than UNLV. Also, they have had much more success and support recently, especially in football.

I don't know how much academic endowment matters with these conferences. They are strictly athletic partnerships. It is not like they are sharing donations for research.

I am sure that the new commissioner will be by the book on exit fees for the next school that chooses to leave. I believe that valuable lessons were learned from The SDSU situation. Things are about to get interesting.

In terms of SMU vs say UNLV there are some parallels.

Right now not a huge share of the markets that each school is a part of. College sports fans in each city have a hierarchy of fans well above the local school.

The difference is the DFW market is soo much bigger than UNLV. Also, they have had much more success and support recently, especially in football.

I don't know how much academic endowment matters with these conferences. They are strictly athletic partnerships. It is not like they are sharing donations for research.
I agree with this... In the past maybe it wouldve... But in todays new superpower conferences, it doesnt matter. The Pac 12 is going to have to compromise on its Academic standards to admit more members or it wont exist. The rest are looking for where geographically it will help position their conference for the next big payday. You dont want to be the one sitting in the Pac 12 shoes 5 years from now as your larger pieces are picked off and you are trying to scramble for market shares that "fit" your member schools academic endowments or research $..

I don't know how it works but i do allot of work for a few of the research facilities at the University of Utah, and have had quite a few conversations with people there. I have been told several times that if SMU joins the PAC that it brings in several millions of new dollars to Univeristy of Utahs research programs. Don't know how or where the several millions of dollars come from but comes from somewhere.

I don't know how it works but i do allot of work for a few of the research facilities at the University of Utah, and have had quite a few conversations with people there. I have been told several times that if SMU joins the PAC that it brings in several millions of new dollars to Univeristy of Utahs research programs. Don't know how or where the several millions of dollars come from but comes from somewhere.
Interesting. Curious how that works.

Currently universities partner up with other schools academically all the time, but not just because they are in the same athletic conference. Unless they have some sort of stipulation in the conference agreements in research revenue sharing? That may not be all the conferences.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You are hitting on what really matters to the high level research universities. Research $$$$ for the BIG drives the bus. That’s why, IMO they want Cal, Stanford and UDub. Way more money in research than football and the BIG currently raises more research $$$$ than the Ivy’s to the tune of $10 billion per year! Based on vetting I feel UU and UO also have a shot. Because when you think about football, the BIG already has two of the top 3 most viewed college football programs in Michigan and Ohio State. Now they have added USC. Not much more value will be added to any tv deal by expanding. But in research Cal, Stanford and UDub bring a lot to the table

Last edited:
You are hitting on what really matters to the high level research universities. Research $$$$ for the BIG drives the bus. That’s why, IMO they want Cal, Stanford and UDub. Way more money in research than football and the BIG currently raises more research $$$$ than the Ivy’s to the tune of $10 billion per year! Based on vetting I feel UU and UO also have a shot. Because when you think about football, the BIG already has two of the top 3 most viewed college football programs in Michigan and Ohio State. Now they have added USC. Not much more value will be added to any tv deal by expanding. But in research Cal, Stanford and UDub bring a lot to the table

That does show some light on the preference to academic research.

But also that alliance is not all inclusive to the Big 10 athletic conference, with university of Chicago remaining membership .

Now it is possible that the Big 10 can require membership into the Big 10 academic alliance for athletics members, Conversely they can try to recruit universities outside of the athletic conference to be members as well. Though universities may hesitate to do so if they do not reap the benefits of the TV money.

I still think the markets and TV deal potential ultimately drive the bus for conference inclusion. But for sure academics does play a role. I would imagine that the PAC has a similar alliance.

With the PAC however, beggars can't be choosers. For them to survive, they need to do their best to find schools that will maximize their TV contract first and foremost in order to survive as a conference. I think research and academics could break some ties. SMU and Tulane are in big markets and have good research to offer. Tulane does offer some problems in terms of distance, they have poor market share, and have not been great in athletics. I can see them getting passed over for a less academically inclined school.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
A little trivia. Tulane was once a member of the SEC and went independent back in the 70’s. Huge mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT