ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado will discuss move to the Big 12 tomorrow.

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Colorado will dicuss their intentions to move the Big 12 Tomorrow at 3pm during the Board of regents meeting. This will be their 2nd meeting this week. Hearing that they have been talking with the Big 12 everyday for the last 2 weeks. Now I understand why the Pac 12 Commissioner and the Colorado AD left media day early.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Pac-12 will be back to the Pac8 really soon. They are scrambling to see what's next. They'll have to be reactive almost immediately. SDSU will only get the invite if more that CO moves on, and that's almost a guarantee. Washington and Oregon want out at this point and Arizona wants to partner with CO. It was AZ reaching out to the Big12 which started this mess. This gives them the opportunity to bolt.

I think the fact that Oregon and UW have been very quiet may be telling. We knew nothing about SC and UCLA leaving until they did. Even the coaches at those schools said they got calls on golf courses letting them know basically at the same time we all found out.

Reactions: RRebel and 220reb
I think the fact that Oregon and UW have been very quiet may be telling. We knew nothing about SC and UCLA leaving until they did. Even the coaches at those schools said they got calls on golf courses letting them know basically at the same time we all found out.
I still think the Big “10” uses this pac12 collapse to get Washington and Oregon

Oregon and Washington State to MWC…or is it us to the PAC”12”?

Reactions: TimothyC3
Not sure if any MWC school has the 34 Million to pay the exit fee. There are only 2 more years left on the media deal.

If the conference champion in football was given an auto bid to the football playoffs that would be BIG.

If 8 MWC teams left that would mean the remaining 4 would get $ 68 million each.?

If 8 MWC teams left that would mean the remaining 4 would get $ 68 million each.?
I don’t know the answer. it would depend on the conference bylaws. But I would anticipate there would be a requirement that the conference must have a minimum number of members to exist. Also, the ncaa could have a similar requirement.

I’d imagine if majority want to dissolve, they can. Meaning 7 or more. Happened to the big east over a decade ago.

But I’m not sure the MW would have 7. Think best case scenario for invites is 6.

Hopefully Arizona leaves too. This would be best case for unlv.

Colorado st will definitely be invited now with Colorado’s departure.

Be interesting in PAC implodes or of just a couple schools leaves.

If I’m taking the full time apple streaming all day now and sending invites. We’ll see. They have not been proactive at all.

Worst case it sounds like Stanford, Cal, Washington St. Oregon st will be sticking together. Mostly because they have too.

That means San Diego st. Boise, UNLV, Fresno, Colorado st. SMU and maybe Tulane and Air Force.

Here’s something to think about. I remember reading an article from around 10 to 15 years ago and the author gave the opinion that the Old WAC-16 was ahead of its time and it was a tremendous mistake to break up when it did. Yeah the quad system was ill conceived. But this was pre BCS and based on number of members (strength in numbers), the on field performance of some of the football programs, members from the old Southwest Conference which was at the time considered major and location of WAC members in major media markets, the author felt there was a legit shot at BCS membership similar to the Big East at the time. IMO he was onto something there and could have been right.

MOUNTAIN DIVISION, 1996-98PACIFIC DIVISION, 1996-98
BYUAir Force
New MexicoColorado State
RiceFresno State
SMUHawaii
TCUSan Diego State
TulsaSan Jose State
UtahUNLV
UTEPWyoming

Colorado roots were in the Big 12 they had zero success in the Pac12 made sense. Pac12 will suffer in the short run they need to add the right filler schools hang onto what they have and hope that the bloated conferences fail as travel costs for non revenue sports drags them down. Geography has a way of stopping many conquering empires. We shall see.

I would think if the Pac12 loses one more school then they need to forget the media rights deal and focus on long term survival. I mean what can you negotiate in the media world when you don't know who is staying or going. The Pac12 should seriously consider a merger with the MWC. I'd fire the Pac12 commissioner and let the MWC commissioner take over.

The Pac12 down to 9 schools and in the next couple of weeks it could be down to 6 schools. At that point they are a dead man walking.

But, don't expect this to actually happen as the Pac12 commissioner doesn't seem to me to be on the ball with anything.

There was talk of doing something with the ACC but, travel costs for those non-revenue sports is going to be a killer. The MWC - Pac12 merger is the best solution from my view from the Rockies.

The BIG has already vetted Oregon, Cal, UDub, Stanford and Utah. I predicted in another thread that when the dust settled The PAC will be OSU, WSU, UNLV, SDSU, CSU, UNM, FSU, Boise, USU, Air Force, Reno and Hawaii for Football only. Gonzaga will be a basketball only member.

Troy Calhoun questions Air Force’s placement in the Mountain West: “I don’t know if it’s really a match” (c. 2019)

If the conference name changes but most of the members are still the same, is it still not a match? Maybe Howdy Doody could wangle an invite to the AAC (Navy) or go indy (Army). Wouldn't break my heart to see him go and take his cut blocking scheme with him.

Reactions: RebelsDen
I sure hope we aren't going to jump to a failing Pac 12... The Big 12 needs bodies and we should volunteer as Tribute... natural
When it's all done how many teams does the Big 12 have?
16-18... SEC and Big 10 aren't done adding snd they'll want to keep up

What is so sad about the current state of UNLV right now, is that if the basketball program was at the level it was under Lon Kruger and with all of the major infrastructure improvements in football, even with the lack of winning in football the chances of UNLV to the Big XII would have increased in a major way IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT