ADVERTISEMENT

We are toast!

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa...-unprecedented-agreement-report?intcmp=tw_fnc NO way are budget will allow us to divert money to players. So u could go to even the lower P5 schools and make 10x more money. We must have the most incompetent people in charge. We all knew this day was coming. Yet we never put us in position to attract the P5. WE are not good enough. Yet all the P5 wants to play all of their Tournaments and Championship games here. Lets face it most of these degrees these kids are playing 4(USE TO) are not worth the paper they are printed on. The NCAA got greedy with all of these rules and regulations NOW it time to pay the piper. 20 Million per school? Plus other NIL money?? Some of these kids are going to be set 4 life by the time they graduate. I do wonder how TITLE ?( what ever allows the same rides for both women and men be the same). IF they have to share the revenue equally. I would assume that day is coming also.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Allow these players to go after Multiple degrees. Maybe that would spread out the talent a bit more and allow lower teams(US) to compete at some level. When they get the templates of how the money is distributed. IT will be the end of the lower schools. Kids will transfer mid year to fill in other schools that have major injuries. They are also protesting limits on how many scholarships teams can have. The athletes want a NO-LIMIT. Imagine DJ getting a call from a Kentucky in December and say if u come RIGHT NOW we will give u half a mil? Dont know the numbers ,but it will be mind boggling on the difference we can pay vs THEM!

How are Washington State and Oregon State going to handle the back payments since they won't have the same TV contract that they've had before? Draining the conference bank account causes the Pac to be even less attractive to potential schools.

This is going to decrease the value of the NCAA product overall. It's already in decline but fans like me watch NCAA games because we are hopeful for kids who are auditioning for their future jobs, so to speak. Since they will be getting paid more and more, the illusion of being amateurs is fading even quicker. There's a reason that I don't know anything about other NCAA programs. I don't care about watching pros (even though we employ some players as well).

How are Washington State and Oregon State going to handle the back payments since they won't have the same TV contract that they've had before? Draining the conference bank account causes the Pac to be even less attractive to potential schools.

This is going to decrease the value of the NCAA product overall. It's already in decline but fans like me watch NCAA games because we are hopeful for kids who are auditioning for their future jobs, so to speak. Since they will be getting paid more and more, the illusion of being amateurs is fading even quicker. There's a reason that I don't know anything about other NCAA programs. I don't care about watching pros (even though we employ some players as well).
Why do you hate the Pac-2?

Ncaa is made up of member schools, how could non p5 ever go for something like this?

its been over 11 years since we have even been to the NCAA tournament -

WE were cooked - fried and burnt TOAST a long long time go. This will have little or no impact to our irrelevant program.

And still does despite only having 2 schools! The audacity!
This!

Cougar Fan - I don't hate your conference at all. I'm a realist: The two remaining schools were only 'brands' because of their affiliation with all of the other schools that have moved on from you. Cal and Stanford are traveling across the country for Women's Softball to avoid being in a conference with you. Is that ME hating or the rest of the P5's hating?

I don't hate UNLV in the least. I'm a realist when I criticize aspects of the school: The PT program graduating 50-60 young adults just for profit? Don't worry about flooding the market! We graduated 19 in my class and got grief that we would flood the market. Haha.
The basketball program having two quality guards, one decent PF, and the rest are huge questions at best and I'm a hater of my two-time alma mater. Our football brand is suddenly better than our basketball brand and it's my fault for 'hating?'

What did I say that wasn't the truth? We were only accepted into the NIT last season because others declined yet this was the height of our program since Dave Rice got fired 3 games into the MWC season. This is the reality. We aren't a solid basketball team. That's not me hating. That's what I see on the TV. I trust my eyes and my intuition.

You may know in your heart that what I'm saying is the truth but you are still hoping for Cal, Stanford, USC, Oregon, etc. to come crawling back.

One day, perhaps, "Cal, Stanford, USC, Oregon, etc." will look up and say, "Hey, nobody knows who we are anymore." Then they'll just shrug and go back to counting their money. This is what is known as the Nebraska Effect, and it's just what they asked for.

This article doesn't have some of the specifics, but if it is what was proposed a week or 2 weeks ago, some things to consider.

There will be a cap on how much schools will pay players. Around 22 million I think. Which is a huge chunk of change no doubt, but having a cap is a good thing at the very least.

Also paying players directly is completely optional for the schools.

How does that affect NIL? hard to say. For some schools I think is will just move around where the money is coming from. I think the next logical step is maybe cracking down on NIL without some sort of actual exchange. People are being paid for the use of their "Name, image, or likeness" without any actual use of that exchange.

I can see that there may be a crack down on boosters paying players straight up for nothing eventually. Lets be real, the idea that players are just being paid to be spokespeople is a complete farce. The rule technically is being abused. In theory I think a player should be able to use his/her celebrity to make money in this matter. But using NIL as a justification to simply pay players to attend their favorite college team is wrong.

Back to UNLV, sure this may hurt some sort of merger with the PAC if they owe some back money. BUT, UNLV should do whatever it can to maximize their TV revenue. If they can make 2x's the money in a new PAC conference that poaches the best markets from the MW, they should do that. Cut out the dead weight. The ship is sinking, we need to toss out the luggage.

Last edited:
This article doesn't have some of the specifics, but if it is what was proposed a week or 2 weeks ago, some things to consider.

There will be a cap on how much schools will pay players. Around 22 million I think. Which is a huge chunk of change no doubt, but having a cap is a good thing at the very least.

Also paying players directly is completely optional for the schools.

How does that affect NIL? hard to say. For some schools I think is will just move around where the money is coming from. I think the next logical step is maybe cracking down on NIL without some sort of actual exchange. People are being paid for the use of their "Name, image, or likeness" without any actual use of that exchange.

I can see that there may be a crack down on boosters paying players straight up for nothing eventually. Lets be real, the idea that players are just being paid to be spokespeople is a complete farce. The rule technically is being abused. In theory I think a player shoulder be able to use his/her celebrity to make money in this matter. But using NIL as a justification to simply pay players to attend their favorite college team is wrong.

Back to UNLV, sure this may hurt some sort of merger with the PAC if they owe some back money. BUT, UNLV should do whatever it can to maximize their TV revenue. If they can make 2x's the money in a new PAC conference that poaches the best markets from the MW, they should do that. Cut out the dead weight. The ship is sinking, we need to toss out the luggage.
Whatever the “rules” and “bylaws” may be, they’ve opened up Pandora’s box and made “cheating” far more easy and acceptable. That’s why the rich will get richer. Really no different than before in a sense … we all know a lot of schools cheated and got away with it … but I think it will become even easier for schools to go above and beyond …

Whatever the “rules” and “bylaws” may be, they’ve opened up Pandora’s box and made “cheating” far more easy and acceptable. That’s why the rich will get richer. Really no different than before in a sense … we all know a lot of schools cheated and got away with it … but I think it will become even easier for schools to go above and beyond …
Welcome to the new XFL college pro league! How much higher will they raise the price of tickets to offset the cost of paying players in many cases more than NFL players make for players that are not even talented enough to become water boys in the NFL? Maybe it is time to dump the NCAA for the rest of the colleges that are not part of the big 2 and make their own national championship playoff system? Less stress but still putting out a fun product while not trying to keep up with the joneses!

Last edited:
Reactions: WarthogRebel
I think the schools are asking for this because right now it is getting out of control, and everyone knows it. I think they want more rigid rules because exorbitant amounts of money is being thrown around and it is not sustainable.

As for cheating? Actually we know a lot of this has been going for decades. The fact that paying for players now is technically legal, cheating really hasn't happened yet. As I mentioned above, using NIL to pay players has been abusing a legal workaround, but I can see this as a first step at tightening up the language and endorsement of NIL with schools paying players directly with a salary cap.

But players need to earn their NIL money, and I'm not talking on the field/court. If they are getting paid for their likeness, then they their likeness should be being used.

The new NCAA football video game is playing every player that opts in 400 bucks or something. So that is an example.

More structure mean perhaps more cheating. For sure that will happen, but at least there will be potential consequences. But if college becomes essentially another pro league, then these money issues will matter. Imagine if the New York Giants paid players under the table to skirt the salary cap. That would be a big deal.

Welcome to the new XFL college pro league! How much higher will they raise the price of tickets to offset the cost of paying players in many cases more than NFL players make for players that are not even talented enough to become water boys in the NFL? Maybe it is time to dump the NCAA for the rest of the colleges that are not part of the big 2 and make their own national championship playoff system? Less stress but still putting out a fun product while not trying to keep up with the joneses!
i agree

But the new league would just get sued by some enterprising athlete and be forced to pay the players.

Sounds like a big lawsuit needs to happen from the G5 against the P5
For sure, allowing someone to a settle a lawsuit that you have no say in will absolutely result in a suit. In the long run I expect congress will intervene whether it be government oversight or something else negotiated I would imagine not even the courts will be able to straighten this out. There are plenty of reps from states with smaller schools affected by this and imagine they will want a say.

But the new league would just get sued by some enterprising athlete and be forced to pay the players.
I say this again. Let them play 6-8 years. 2 degrees or more. Kids are going to redshirt ALL THE TIME NOW. In the P5 even more. MORE $$. I would expect smaller schools closing down or splitting into 2 divisions of the HAVES and HAVE NOTS. Lots more changes coming ONCE all the nuances are played out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT