ADVERTISEMENT

Couldn't crack cbssports top 25+1

Not that the team deserves or is actually top 25 but I've been curious how much national recognition they might be getting especially with receiving votes already prior to the tournament.

Guess we'll find out more on Monday.

Ooc

Trying to see if there is a way to see how good we really are. We are 6-0 but look at the teams we have played. Not one of them have a win against a team with a pulse. Southern Illinois has a win against Oklahoma St but looking at Oklahoma St I am not sure they are that good of a team this year. I am not trying to diminish anything UNLV has accomplished so far just saying I am not sure we have had a real test yet to be able to know how good UNLV really is. Nor do I think we will until we play SDSU. Sorta seems like the same type of excitement our football team had when we were 4-1. Hoping the basketball team has way better outcome.
Reactions: GreedyGreg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I hope you all get to spend time with family and friends, the people you love most this Thanksgiving. Cherish the moments, as we’ve seen in the world the last few years, they might not always be there. Even with things so messed up, you can still find things to be grateful for - think about them, remember them … those are the things that take the sting out of life sometimes and give you reasons to look forward.

With kids, the holidays have taken on extra meaning for me. Things can be fragile, protect them as best you can.

It can be a tough time of year for a lot of people. Reach out to those who may need it. It doesn’t always take a lot of effort … and the benefits can be worthwhile.

Was hoping to have the day off but with the work situation as is, no such luck. At this point I get happy to avoid doubles and splits. But it’ll be worth it once I get home and see everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Aztecs

Aztecs can score this yr, nice 11 point win tonight in maui over Ohio state, Arizona next, Maui is non conference resume NCAA building tournament.

I hope next yr KK will schedule better, this yr schedule has no excitement at all. 2015 was last time in maui, UNLV beating Indiana, UNLV fans being excited, seems like millions years ago, I lost interest, havent been to Mack since Rice was coaching, I hate being depressed by UNLV hoops, I just want to be excited again, is that too much to ask, dammm it's 341 now,

Just beat Minny on Wednesday.

Technical Difficulties vs SIU

I wasn’t sure if it was the audio that cut out or if one of the play-by-play guys finally choked while gargling SIU’s ballsack.

They seemed to know everything about this super duper senior SIU team but nobody told them that the Runnin’ Rebs adjust and smack dat ass in the second half.

For the sake of all fans of future games, I hope those two dudes have many, many, many technical difficulties.

Tre’Von Spiller

I heard Coach Peery was in attendance at the Juco Jamboree back in November to watch Spiller play. At 6’8” and long Spiller has a motor and is 10th in rebounding in juco at 11.3 rpg and 2nd in shot blocking at 5.3 bpg. Very active and appears to be the type of defensive minded player that fits CKK’s style of play. Also, the kid is following UNLV very closely on twitter.

Defensive identity consistency vs being adaptive and adjusting to your opponent.

It is very clear how CKK wants us to be playing defense. A lot of ball pressure, traps, jumping passing lanes, collapsing on penetrarion etc.

Now it does work quite well at creating turnovers and "havoc". It definitely gives other teams fits.

But ...

It does not really change much. Regardless of what is happening in the game. For better or worse.

Last night SLU was able to use our tendencies against us to create wide open shots. This has happened to us a good amount this year.

I am torn on this. I like the identity, I like the frustration on the other teams, and I like the fast break opportunities it creates.

However I hate wide open shots, especially created by helping defense that was likely unnecessary. We have such good on ball defenders they often do not need help. Especially last night. They had no one that could really hurt us off the drive or one on one against us.

At times we have a very soft weak side where our guy cheats over Into the paint quite a bit leaving guys wide open on the perimeter. Making tough close outs and relatively good looks.

They did have one or 2 decent shooters that were often left wide open. Personally if they have 1 or 2 guys that are capable of hurting you i would rather not help off of them. Especially this team where you know guys can hold their man quite well. Similar situation against high point.

It is early in the season and perhaps they just want to establish the identity. I get that. And hey it has worked so far. Also to be fair minor adjustments have been made.

But it feels like we sometimes are getting away with it, instead of just playing complete lock down D. Which we 100% have the dudes to do.

5-0 and playing like the Aztecs and Houston

KK, is building a culture and team like Aztecs and Houston, I watched Houston other night, not great shooting team, but they play hard defensively and on the glass, they have bunch of 6'6-6'8 players, and athletic, so if this is how KK is going to recruit, I am all in, have culture and style and go with it, and hope a couple of guys can shoot.

5-0, not the toughest schedule like Aztecs, but Dayton is good win, playing Minnesota/Washington St from P5 schools, plus USF and Southern Miss, granted the rest is not the best, hopefully moving forward
starting next year, go back to Hawaii or host on-campus thanksgiving tournament would be nice.

I like to see Utah/BYU back on the schedule, see if you can get Houston on home-home, look to the east coast getting with VCU/Richmond and maybe NC State type teams if you can get top 20 teams, playing Pacific Life and IMAC Ward do nothing, except everyone plays.

Gilbert is total different player this year, if they can get Thomas, be nice to have Vegas back court for the next 2 years.

I really like this team, not great offensive team, outside of the Aztecs, they should compete against everyone, I wish the Aztec home game was in January with the students in school.

Really like Rodriquez, he's my favorite new comer so far.

Harkless is going to be guy to take the big shots.

It's early, but I do have some hope, lets take care of Minny and enjoy thanksgiving at 6-0.

I wish everyone Happy Thanksgiving, be safe and enjoy being with your family. Go Rebs.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT