ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin should be ashamed:

Y\
And Lindy?

It’s happening in our own backyard. You don’t catch lightning in a bottle twice in a week.

She didn’t need excuses. Fast growth. Poor history, poor recent history, young, first time HC, garbage budget. Very little experience.

But that’s different.
Yea, seems like CKK and people still on board with him are running out of excuses. RAN OUT IMO! I dont see any end of the tunnel with him. Wish it was different! Vegas does not like Vanilla. Which CKK has in spades. Recruiting at a high level is the key obviously . CKK has proven not to be able to do that. Nobody is going to throw money(NIL) at UNLVBB with him as the HC. Few exceptions. If we are in a close $ tie with other schools for a player we probably lose more time than not. They come here for PT and thats about it. Maybe Vegas nightlife? They sure are not coming here for chance to go dancing.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Kevin should be ashamed:

Tinkering, trying to slide in through the back door …. Just do the work, win. Win the league itself, regular season. Don’t depend on 3/4 in March.

Like Odom did. No excuses. Crappy team. Historically terrible program.

Like Lindy did. No excuses. Crappy team. Historically poor program.

With less resources, less history, less backing and a much worse starting spot.

Stop dicking around. Get to it. Incremental (and arguable) slow growth doesn’t cut it. That’s a sham, it’s a built in excuse to fail.

Just win. Enough is enough.

Everything is an excuse as to why we should accept the sub mediocrity that we’ve had.
I agree. But using Odom as an example that the idea of slow growth being a sham doesn't make sense.

He has a somewhat unique approach that I like. Building around talent that he already has. But that is the exception rather than a rule. Most coaches rise through the ranks due to a particular approach which made them unique and successful. Most of then those approaches need specific personnel to run that may takes years to develop.

It is easier to turn over a roster in 1 year now more than ever, but Odom didn't do that. The majority of his contributing players last year were legacy players. Good players brought in from another coach who was a good recruiter if nothing else.

I don't see Kevin for instance, using slow growth as a crutch. In fact until this year he has tried the opposite. Going with temporary players over longer term players, which is what you were implying he should do. So if your "slow growth" is meant to be a shot at Kevin, which is obviously what you are implying, then that doesn't fit either. In fact, we probably would have been better last year if we tried to build with more multiple year players, you know, like the majority of our peers that have done with more success than us.

Kevin himself needs growth being a first time HC, and one without the experience as an assistant as other first time head coaches. But even with that, he took us to our objectively best finish since Rice's first year in year 3.

Before you put words in my mouth like you always do, he doesn't deserve a raise or extension, and we need to see more. Last year was still somewhat of a disappointment. No one is super happy with where we are. Some just are more realistic with our situation.

But you also can't just hone in on Kevin and make a decision. The athletic department has a budget. Football deserves all it can get, it is our one and only ticket to substantially increase media revenue that can completely change the all of our programs. Maybe there is a way to get a high dollar basketball head coach and give the football program all that it needs to make waves. But I don't know where that will come from, do you?

Harper is a football guy, he made a bold decision to fundraise and hire Barry, who wasn't even his first choice. It looks great right now. I couldn't be happier about it. But making a move like that at a place like UNLV, probably means that the other programs, including basketball may get less capital.

UNLV +7 vs Kansas

I was surprised how good Kansas defense was after their games. Sure they played a team maybe worse than Utah tech in game 1. But defense isn't why they lost game 2.
My point was that their run defense is good. The idea that we will can control the game with the run is probably false
Agree. Will have to control the game through short and intermediate routes with our skill players in space. Take shots down field 4-5 times in the game.

Some Interesting things related to realignment and the MWC / Pac2

The article said something that I thought was wrong. I thought the poach penalty (Withdrawal Fees) ended August 1, 2025 because they did not extend the scheduling agreement for the second year. In studying the Agreement I was wrong and they were right. Article 7 does say that the withdrawal fees do apply for 2 years following the termination of the Agreement.

Holy shyt. OSU and WSU are screwed if they try to take any of our programs earlier than the August 1. 2027 date.

Tyrin Jones Thoughts?

You tell us. Is he good or does he suck?
I don't know, I don't have enough data to evaluate--but he doesn't really pop on AAU tournament highlights where he's posting up a 6'4" guy or cleaning up rebounds in a situation where he's at the top of the height/wingspan/athleticism rankings. That's why I'm asking the question. Based on the 12 minutes of highlight videos I can find I think his 247 ranking of 212th seems closer than on3s 124th. I just figured there's a few Utahans on the board who might have seen him play. Layton Christian Academy were the 4A Utah champs last year, and he had some decent box score numbers. But Utah is a 6A state for Boys Basketball, and their game against the 13th ranked 5A team in Wasatch Valley saw them get their doors blown off last year by 33.

I'm hoping someone knows something more than I do is all.

UNLV +7 vs Kansas

Lets throw rankings on defense out the window.. Because I think were like 10th in the nation defensively against the run and you know KU is going to try and pound the rock vs us.. In fact I dont see them airing it out too much this week, just out of the conservative nature Liebold will have with Daniels throwing 3 picks. I think the message early will be very clear that they intend to try and pound Neal/Hishaw and run the RPO with Daniels. There will be a good mix of play action and the option read.
I was surprised how good Kansas defense was after their games. Sure they played a team maybe worse than Utah tech in game 1. But defense isn't why they lost game 2.
My point was that their run defense is good. The idea that we will can control the game with the run is probably false

Oregon State v UNLV

Depending on what happens against Oregon this next game, Oregon State very likely will play UNLV while ranked in the top 25 if they can beat Oregon in a game they are an underdog of 6 points (I think Oregon is way overrated). Oregon State is solidly favored over Purdue, Colorado State, and Nevada which are the games prior to playing UNLV which would make them 6-0 against UNLV.

I don't think Oregon is nearly as good as last year.

But..

I know the Idaho score looked close but it wasn't a close game. The yardage total was one sided (Oregon doubled Idaho yardage total). It was something like 30 1st downs to 10.

Oregon State is a solid defensive squad. They might even pull the upset.

But I don't think Oregon is as bad as they have played either.

Dan Lanning is a solid coach.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Tyrin Jones Thoughts?

We got a commitment from Tyrin Jones this weekend

On 3

Looks like On 3 has him rated as 124th overall player as a 6'9" 200 lbs PF. 247 has him as 212th over all, and he is unranked and unscouted by ESPN and Rivals. We beat out UNM, Utah State, UI-Chicago, and College of Charleston (those are his best offers)

I watched a few videos--unfortunately mostly AAU circuit stuff where he plays like a traditional 4 and is bouncy but very slight with a good wingspan (he looks like someone put Chris Wood on a starvation diet). Uses glass well, but seemed to feast on posting up much shorter players. I think On3 might be a little too high on him--seems like a project to me especially since I didn't see a single jumpshot. Has anyone had the chance to see him live or have any insight?
You tell us. Is he good or does he suck?

UNLV +7 vs Kansas

We will still do a heavy dose of run, but we need chunk plays and variety.
Sure our offense allows a good amount of variety in the run game by design, but we rarely get more than 5 yards a run. We have fewer plays of <3 years per run this year which is great.
But to truly keep Kansas on their heels, and really any of the better teams we will face, then we will need to mix things up.

Kansas is 26th in rushing defense and 47th in passing defense. FYI. I think we can get yards and keep them honest on the ground, but indont think we win with < 200 yds passing this game. Mostly because I don't think our rushing attack is good enough to turn us into Air Force, at least not against Kansas
UNLV only tried one pass in the second half of the Utah Tech game, and I only think they tried a handful in the second half against Houston. UNLV could have easily had over 400 yards passing in both games.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT