ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 8?

Seems lean but if you think about it who else would not be dead weight in the MWC (Not trashing programs but TV markets).

I think and expansion fron 8 would include the following candidates.

As unappealing as it would be for a lot of WSU/OSU fans, taking Cal and possibly Stanford back if ACC collapses would seem a no brainer to me.

I think in that scenario you then pursue SMU and try and get UTSA to get into Texas market.

That would be a pretty solid football conference and not a bad basketball conference.
I really wonder what happens if the ACC blows up for the NoCal schools.

They are the only exceptions to the rule of chasing money. They opted to not take any money AND travel across country rather than be shackled with the PAC 2, for seemingly academic reasons.

The suggested new PAC 8 isn't that bad academically, but some aren't very good at all. I can see them going indy before rejoining the PAC again. Which is ridiculous btw, but it would track with their previous decisions.

Or they can finally smarten up ( oh the Irony) and rejoin the league and actually get some money to help pay for the exponentially increased overhead to compete in college athletics.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

PAC 8?

We just saw Texas and Oklahoma leave for greener pastures. We saw 10 members of a 12 team Pac-12 leave for money. 2 of em said we'll do it with half the money to not be stuck. Why would anyone left, including us in the MWC, expect different than trying to turn the corner to national relevance?

If these 8 teams in a different conference match the TV payout of the MWC (seems like that's the minimum that would happen), at worst, it's fewer schools to split with. Maybe a benefit of this would be to get out from the awful bowl tie-ins. To get out from the poorly negotiated deal with BSU. Fewer mouths to feed from the NCAA tourney revenue that SDSU gives everyone. There's lots of small reasons to consider it. Obviously it has to make sense, and for only 6 MWC teams to leave and be on the hook for $9m per school (assuming Pac2 assist with that?), that means money and exposure above all.

Having possibly the 6 most visible MWC schools plus 2 former Pac 12 teams and losing Reno, SJSU, Hawaii, USU, Wyoming, and UNM isn't the worst thought. It's probably not the best way either, but that's why I'm not an AD or college president... or anything close.
How is this any better than the MWC? Honestly, it's like MWC lite... why would TV contracts be any better than with the 10-12 MWC schools? Besides watching Reno and UNM fans cry about being left in the dust, this conference alignment smells like a bunch of programs who are more likely to disband on each other at the next bigger offer than stick together and make a true P5 conference
The reason is simple, money! Competitively it may not be much better than the MW. We would be cutting out some decent football teams and some decent basketball teams.

But taking all of the best markets from the MW is going to drive the per team payouts significantly.

and if they add teams from the ACC fallout that will boost payouts more.

This will still be a huge step down from the power conferences, by a mile. But it could be the best payouts of the rest.

PAC 8?

Key points:

If the Pac-2 doesn't sign up for the 2nd year of the Scheduling Agreement which has to be signed by 09-01-2024 then maybe, big fkin maybe, there is some smell to that fart of a tweet. Even if there is a smell then if any kind of announcement is made prior to 08/02/2025 then the Pac-2 WILL have to pay withdrawal fees per the Scheduling Agreement. At that point which MWC team is going to risk paying double the $20 million dollars exit fees for less than one year notice to begin the 2025 Pac-8 football season? No one. We couldn't afford the $40 million dollar exit fee and the Pac-2 would be STUPID to pay the withdrawal fee. If we give notice following 08/02/2025 then we wouldn't be available to join the Pac-8 until the 2026 season provided we are willing to pay the $20 million exit fee at that time. In the mean time the Pac-2 will have to play the 2025 season of football as independents unless they invite some WAC, Sunbelt, AAC, or some other cross country teams. Good luck with that.

This tweet is all nonsense and unbelievable.
There is a window here, and it isn't that crazy.

The departing 6 schools announce on 8/2/25, and are set to join in 2027 or 2026, not sure on the language there. Then the fees may be as low as 5.5 mil per school. Which I'm sure the PAC could eat some of that.

Pac 2 re-ups their agreement for year2

Even with fees, are the PAC 2 happy about reducing their annual TV contract by half just to not pay fees up front? Are the MW 6 happy to do that as well?

What is stupid is creating a 14 team conference that is already diluted where it would be tough to add possible ACC defector or make an agreement with leftover ACC teams. Keeping things trim keeps those options open for the future.

PAC 8?

this conference alignment smells like a bunch of programs who are more likely to disband on each other at the next bigger offer
We just saw Texas and Oklahoma leave for greener pastures. We saw 10 members of a 12 team Pac-12 leave for money. 2 of em said we'll do it with half the money to not be stuck. Why would anyone left, including us in the MWC, expect different than trying to turn the corner to national relevance?

If these 8 teams in a different conference match the TV payout of the MWC (seems like that's the minimum that would happen), at worst, it's fewer schools to split with. Maybe a benefit of this would be to get out from the awful bowl tie-ins. To get out from the poorly negotiated deal with BSU. Fewer mouths to feed from the NCAA tourney revenue that SDSU gives everyone. There's lots of small reasons to consider it. Obviously it has to make sense, and for only 6 MWC teams to leave and be on the hook for $9m per school (assuming Pac2 assist with that?), that means money and exposure above all.

Having possibly the 6 most visible MWC schools plus 2 former Pac 12 teams and losing Reno, SJSU, Hawaii, USU, Wyoming, and UNM isn't the worst thought. It's probably not the best way either, but that's why I'm not an AD or college president... or anything close.

Insane Recruiting Weekend

We didnt think that you meant it in any negative way. We were simply saying that when these young men make their announcements public, there will be a full list. DL Blake Robinett from Texas just announced this morning.
Thank you

He makes thing looks easy. Oregon State is our highest competitor

Boxing Thread

Watched Leonard vs Duran 1 because today is the day it happened some blank blank years ago and watched it with my roommate.

Holy f’n hell. I think it’s one of the best fit ever saw. These guys throw punches non stop for 15 rounds.

Hard to tell who won..I mean I can’t score boxing anyways.

Weird to see the ref actually let them fight instead of separating them.

Oh and in other news..Roy Jones Jr’s son commits suicide. Awful awful news.

Reactions: RebelinWA

PAC 8?

How is this any better than the MWC? Honestly, it's like MWC lite... why would TV contracts be any better than with the 10-12 MWC schools? Besides watching Reno and UNM fans cry about being left in the dust, this conference alignment smells like a bunch of programs who are more likely to disband on each other at the next bigger offer than stick together and make a true P5 conference

You mean I'm not the only one on the planet who doesn't do Twitter or Instagram or any of that shit? I do have Facebook but it's so locked down that I can barely get into it.

OT - I have never been to Vegas (promise to visit after the MW lets my soon to be groveling Cougs into the conference) but I watched The Hangover and parts of Hangover 3 last night. That scene where they come over the rise at night with Vegas in the distance is pretty cool. I like girls, but that Bradley Cooper? I'd let him do me...... :)

Oh and I see that Rivals re-branded. Not impressed.
I was at Sam Boyd when you guys came and thrashed us.

I was walking back to the car on your side of the stadium and some trailer trash frmale UNLV fan was talking smack. I was kinda embarassed.

OT - I have never been to Vegas (promise to visit after the MW lets my soon to be groveling Cougs into the conference) but I watched The Hangover and parts of Hangover 3 last night. That scene where they come over the rise at night with Vegas in the distance is pretty cool. I like girls, but that Bradley Cooper? I'd let him do me...... :)
Hangover was always just a bad rip-off of Very Bad Things. Check that one out. Much better actors and can never go wrong with Daniel Stern.

Didn't mean it that way, I just thought they had already announced, and since I do not have twitter, I had just missed it.
We didnt think that you meant it in any negative way. We were simply saying that when these young men make their announcements public, there will be a full list. DL Blake Robinett from Texas just announced this morning.

Sexy Hot Girl GIF
You mean I'm not the only one on the planet who doesn't do Twitter or Instagram or any of that shit? I do have Facebook but it's so locked down that I can barely get into it.

Only if Bradley Cooper looks like her!

Didn't mean it that way, I just thought they had already announced, and since I do not have twitter, I had just missed it.

Pacific December 14

I'd say we're a quad 2 team, generally speaking if we're being honest with our recent history. But really only a mid tier quad 2.
We were on the cusp of being a quad 1 road team (for opponents) last season, but otherwise quad 2 pretty firmly.
Being a quad 1 neutral site team is probably what is necessary to be a at large candidate. Or at least close to it.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT