ADVERTISEMENT

Two Pre-Season All-Americans and more....

Boise gets picked because its the easy pick. Requires 0 effort to say "Its Boise's league to lose" and publish an article about a Good RB and a former 5 star QB transfer(who might not even be the starter)... and there's 0 accountability in return for lazy preseason predictions. Personally and I've said it multiple times, they got baited into hiring a less than qualified HC(only 6 years of experience at D1) for the level of program Boise is supposedly at because he flipped their season back to something salvageable. I get he was a Boise guy and his ability to win at the end of the year defiantly put them in a bind with the coaching situation, but Im not sure hes at the level that people are putting him at and it will still need to be seen how he runs a program.
Again, had we not lost Maiava, we might even be ranked in the preseason, thats how big a loss your incumbent starter is with respect to preseason expectations. Our team got deeper and better at every position it seemed and except for the battle at QB, were a better team with a favorable schedule.
Agree 100%.

Their coach hadn't been there that long, and he is a disciple of their worst coach in decades. And Avalos was a defensive minded head coach, so it is hard to say how much Danielson had to their success on the defensive side of the ball.

He rallied the team last year, and they got better as soon as he took over. That is great. But there are a lot of factors. Getting a head coach fired can really get your attention. We see it a lot, where that kind of change can really spark and motivate the team.

But that type of thing is a flash in a pan. Hard to say for certain they continue to play at that level of above.

If I were a Boise fan, I would be disappointed with the hire. They are a name program and could have landed a more experienced "sure thing" type of coach.

Already he was named as one of the top coaches in the league a few places. Odom was conference coach of the year, and national coach of the year finalist. Even with him, I would like to see more to see what happens. I feel very confident in his abilities, but also don't think he should be crowned king of the league just yet.

I thought that chicks dig the long ball

Totally! I have no other life than doing that. How did you figure me out so easily?

By the way, why get mad about a thread that is labeled as OT and clearly about baseball for the entire time. I don’t get mad that you go to movies or still follow Star Wars.
You can say whatever you want but your a pissy little poster with anger issues - probably stems from being a total nerd who got his ass kicked in school and tries to enact his revenge behind a keyboard

DUDE STAR WARS is cool AF

I agree that basketball players are a bit more soft, and they tend to have more inflated egos and self worth. But to be fair, basketball also has much more impact on your joints.

Running is much more impactful than skating, and it exponentially increases with all of the jumping.

So chronic injury is higher risk with baketball.

The NBA season is ridiculously long and the games are lengthening for no good reason other than to artificially increasing the final score.
This GUY know his STUFF ^^^^^^^ its a HUGE difference _ BASKETBALL IS HORRIBLE FOR KNEES ( joints)

Fair about impact on your joint, but stopping, starting, turning on skates isn't hard on ligaments and tendons? Especially ankles and knees? The weird angles it creates?

That's not even bringing in the physicality of the sport. Hockey plays back to backs just like NBA and you don't see dudes 'load managing' except goalies.

I mean the league has stepped in saying you need to play X amount of games to win awards it's gotten so bad with guys taking nights off.
Basketball IS 1000x more hard on your joints- Ankles -knees and hips- more than any other major pro sport. Maybe MMA is close - I cant think of anything else. MMA risks - all joints....for knee tho - Jumping randomly in a split second without a programmed route and action is dangerous as all hell _ takes an incredible amount of ability and agility and risk

Hockey is definitely more physical and has more direct impact for collisions. It definitely has much higher risk for some injuries, like concussions for instance.

But skating vs running and jumping, actually protects their joints, and muscle/ligaments for that matter. The ground reaction forces are significantly lower, and the plyometric activity also much lower, which loads muscular tissue more.

I agree that hockey players are tougher, no question. But I also believe that there is a bigger need for load management in basketball. The combination of running, jumping, the long season, the long games, and the size of the athletes themselves makes basketball maybe the most dangerous sport for chronic injuries.
Very TRUE

The aging physical therapist can’t even answer the damn question.

It’s okay though.

#feelings
The only thing he knows about sports is what he reads on the internet - His job is -He helps old ladies' with tendinitis from playing too much video poker - if you want to direct your question to someone who actully TRAINS Athletes at all levels including those who get PAID to do their sport _- that would be me

Exactly. You can't just be a freak athlete and be good at baseball. It takes athleticism, but also a lot of skill and hand/eye coordination. The #1 overall draft pick in the NFL, Caleb Williams, recently took some swings in the batting cage and it was very cringe worthy. I'm thinking, this guy is an athlete? It was pretty bad.

Edit to add that he's just hitting it off a tee and looks that bad. Imagine him trying to hit a ball being thrown

Login to view embedded media
SKILLZ are learned behavior thru REPS - MOST sports require a decade of SKILL training to reach high levels - Athletism is usually something innate - Freak Athletism and genetic freaks of nature rule the world of professional sports. Take the #1 pick at anything and put him up against a Olympic ping pong player - how is that going to look - eye to hand coordination MY ASS ...lol

The big difference in basketball compared to 20 -30 years ago _ players are much more skilled at dribbling and shooting and far less proficient in the intangibles - passing - defense - integrity - effort

Yet still, I keep seeing publications saying that Boise is the "clear favorite" to win the conference.

Because of their overlwhelming talent? Ok, maybe not. Their heavily experienced head coach? Oh, whoops 0 for 2. Their... I don't know what else?

Boise will be good, and they have possibly the best player in the league in Jeanty and probably the best O-Line. (We may have more players with accolades, but they return everyone and performed better as a unit last season).

But people are either not looking close enough and picking based off of reputation (most likely), or just haters?
Boise gets picked because its the easy pick. Requires 0 effort to say "Its Boise's league to lose" and publish an article about a Good RB and a former 5 star QB transfer(who might not even be the starter)... and there's 0 accountability in return for lazy preseason predictions. Personally and I've said it multiple times, they got baited into hiring a less than qualified HC(only 6 years of experience at D1) for the level of program Boise is supposedly at because he flipped their season back to something salvageable. I get he was a Boise guy and his ability to win at the end of the year definitely put them in a bind with the coaching situation, but Im not sure hes at the level that people are putting him at and it will still need to be seen how he runs a program.
Again, had we not lost Maiava, we might even be ranked in the preseason, thats how big a loss your incumbent starter is with respect to preseason expectations. Our team got deeper and better at every position it seemed and except for the battle at QB, were a better team with a favorable schedule.

White, De Jesus Earn Preseason All-America To Lead 14 Rebels Honored By Phil Steele​

Story Links​

LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – UNLV football has a pair of preseason All-Americans heading into the 2024 campaign as wide receiver Ricky White III (Second Team) and return man Jacob De Jesus (Third Team) were named by Phil Steele College Football Preview magazine Tuesday.

The Rebels also had 14 players on Phil Steele's Preseason All-Mountain West/Pac-2 Teams, including a league-leading seven First Team selections.

White is college football's leading returning receiver after finishing with a school-record 1,483 yards last fall. He tied the UNLV mark for receptions in season with 88 and became the first Rebel ever to post five consecutive games with at least 100 receiving yards. In 2023, White was named First Team All-America by the Action Network, Second Team by the College Football Network and Third Team by Associated Press, becoming just the second UNLV WR to appear on an AP team in history and first since 1981.

De Jesus, who also plays receiver, led the nation in total return yards with 1,079. The only player to rank in the top 15 nationally in both kick returns and punt returns, his 96-yard kickoff return in the season opener was the fourth-longest in UNLV history while his 59-yard punt return at New Mexico was the longest by a Rebel since 2003. One of three finalists for the 2023 Jet Award, given to the country's best returner, De Jesus last year earned Second Team All-America from USA TODAY and Action Network along with Third Team from Phil Steele.

De Jesus was named Preseason All-MW/Pac-2 at both kickoff return and punt return and joining him and White on the First Team was offensive linemen Tiger Shanks and Jalen St. John, linebacker Jackson Woodard and cornerback Cameron Oliver.

Defensive lineman Jalen Dixon and punter Marshall Nichols were on Phil Steele's Second Team while running back Jai'Den "Jet" Thomas, tight end Kaleo Ballungay, center Jack Hasz and safety Jalen Catalon (a transfer from Texas) were Third Team picks. Linebacker Marsel McDuffie rounded out the Rebel contingent on the Fourth Team.
Yet still, I keep seeing publications saying that Boise is the "clear favorite" to win the conference.

Because of their overlwhelming talent? Ok, maybe not. Their heavily experienced head coach? Oh, whoops 0 for 2. Their... I don't know what else?

Boise will be good, and they have possibly the best player in the league in Jeanty and probably the best O-Line. (We may have more players with accolades, but they return everyone and performed better as a unit last season).

But people are either not looking close enough and picking based off of reputation (most likely), or just haters?

UNLV vs Oregon State game

Home of Steve Prefontaine.

I moved from LV to Oregon (only lived there a year) I remember the first time flying back into LV seeing just the ugly brown desert everywhere as we were about to land saying to my wife how the hell did we live in here so long. Oregon is awesome, after a year moved to Seattle for 5 years which is also awesome but the weather started to wear on us. The summers are amazing but seemed to get shorter every year and the winters longer.

Hope you will make some Oregon football games this season. I go to games all over the country and Autzen is right up there with the best atmospheres in college football. Ive had season tickets since 2002 and go up for a lot of games. The Ohio State game this year should be crazy. I sold 4 of my six season seats for $600 each to that game and then will be using the other 2 myself. We have a good tailgate group so if you want hit me up and you can join us.
I’m coaching track and field at Prefontaines HS, it’s pretty surreal being a life long track field fan to then end up coaching at his school. This school has been around since 1900 and the old sports memorabilia in the gym is crazy to see.
I definitely want to see a Ducks game this year!
I was so sick and tired of the heat I had to get out, so I don’t mind the rain in the winter and 65-70* summer days.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT