ADVERTISEMENT

Will the future of the Pac-12 name really mean that much?

Meister_Rebel

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 6, 2020
As we wait to see what the Pac-12 will do regarding a rebuild or merger will that name really mean that much in the future? I've been reading that the B12 is looking at selling the naming rights of the conference. Possibly to "Allstate". It could possibly happen for the right amount of money where you might have the new conference name, as mentioned in the article linked below, as the "Allstate 12 Conference". Per the article it could land the B12 an additional 30 to 50 million dollars per year. They aren't the only ones that have talked about this. The Mountain West Conference could be one of those conferences in the future to sell it's naming rights. The NYTimes has an article about G5 conferences having that discussion however I can't get behind that paywall.

Anything that will get us more money I'm all for it.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
As we wait to see what the Pac-12 will do regarding a rebuild or merger will that name really mean that much in the future? I've been reading that the B12 is looking at selling the naming rights of the conference. Possibly to "Allstate". It could possibly happen for the right amount of money where you might have the new conference name, as mentioned in the article linked below, as the "Allstate 12 Conference". Per the article it could land the B12 an additional 30 to 50 million dollars per year. They aren't the only ones that have talked about this. The Mountain West Conference could be one of those conferences in the future to sell it's naming rights. The NYTimes has an article about G5 conferences having that discussion however I can't get behind that paywall.

No way do I want to keep the MWC as long as BSU gets paid more!

Well guys I have been harping on this for months now, that The Pac-2 just needs to get over itself and reverse merge with the MW. Like-size schools, half of your league are R1 Universities, multiple land grant institutions, similar sized enrollments and locations. And similar stadiums for the most part, and your BB programs are good. Tell me that Fort Collins and Laramie are much different than Pullman. WSU and OSU are good fits. Does the "Pac" name have any cachet left? Well not much, but our schools will elevate the MW profile a bit. We just need to F-ing do it.

I'm a natural contrarian in business. If everybody is selling I'm buying If everybody is buying I'm selling. I would like to see OSU and WSU go all in and join the MWC. While all these conferences are poaching teams to set up transcontinental leagues, which I believe due to travel costs(a lot of mouths and egos to feed)will have a quick spike than cool off. The MWC with new members could see its biggest gains going against the tide and remaining geographically close. These two great state schools will expand our footprint that includes all the West Coast states to the Rockies which is truly The MWC not Pac 2 and friends.

I'm a natural contrarian in business. If everybody is selling I'm buying If everybody is buying I'm selling. I would like to see OSU and WSU go all in and join the MWC. While all these conferences are poaching teams to set up transcontinental leagues, which I believe due to travel costs(a lot of mouths and egos to feed)will have a quick spike than cool off. The MWC with new members could see its biggest gains going against the tide and remaining geographically close. These two great state schools will expand our footprint that includes all the West Coast states to the Rockies which is truly The MWC not Pac 2 and friends.
I'm even more contrarian than you on this issue. Why add Washington State? (Sorry, loyal coug)

They are going to develop into the equivalent of Wyoming/New Mexico in 3-4 years. If we are thinking long-term, they may not be a solution to 'more eyeballs.'

I don't disagree with changing the MWC to another name in order to raise revenue and put BSU on a level playing ground again. Just call the conference the "MGM Grands." No number, no region, no limitations. Hell, it doesn't even call itself a conference.

Allstate 12 sounds like a Bud Light exec came up with that (in terms of not reading your audience).

I'm even more contrarian than you on this issue. Why add Washington State? (Sorry, loyal coug)

They are going to develop into the equivalent of Wyoming/New Mexico in 3-4 years. If we are thinking long-term, they may not be a solution to 'more eyeballs.'

I don't disagree with changing the MWC to another name in order to raise revenue and put BSU on a level playing ground again. Just call the conference the "MGM Grands." No number, no region, no limitations. Hell, it doesn't even call itself a conference.

Allstate 12 sounds like a Bud Light exec came up with that (in terms of not reading your audience).
That Wyoming/New Mexico comparison is scary. I've thought about that before but with the thought that they could become another University of Idaho. But, somehow if they can maintain their sports in the near term they will be alright. However if they wait too long and their recruitment drops off in football then yes, they could be in trouble. Their Pac-12 affiliation in the past has helped them establish a good alumni base statewide. If they start seeing an appreciable drop in enrollment then over time that won't help. They've also expanded with other campuses in other cities like Spokane, medical school, and the Tri-Cities area. They may be hurting themselves by doing that. Maybe, not so much with their medical school as those students aren't going to become automatic Cougar sports fans anyway.

Right now I still like what they bring to the table in athletics. If that changes with time then you may be right. But, I think they need to make a move sooner rather than later.

I don't have much feel for OSU. From what I can tell they think they are destined for better things and will be the holdout from joining with the MWC.

Can fans form LLCs and fund conference names? Like if MWC fans got together and funded a 10 million dollar naming rights deal for like "Go Fu** yourself San Diego" or what if some larger corporation wanted to do naming rights with another conference but its like "Fan Duel West Coast Conference?"..... I mean I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to get money for your schools to keep them happy where they are, but this is the dumbest deal Ive ever heard of and is just a middle finger to college fans.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Well WSU had more eyeballs on TV than anyone in the MW, and it wasn't even close. WSU has always travelled well. How many WSU fans went to the at CSU game last year? How many went to the various Holiday Bowls? Or the Aloha Bowl when it existed? I think we took 7,000 fans one year.

The Pac-2 has to maintain its identity or it will lose around $30 million in future NCAA BB distributions. A reverse merger is the easiest way to eliminate the BSU premium deal. Otherwise joining the MW would be OK with me. The thing is, the Pac-MW would be better positioned to play the Pac traitors in non-com games, putting us all on display nationally. Yeah I know we and you already play some of them. But let's get completely rid of playing Big Sky teams. 9 conference games, plus one game against each of the B1G, Big-12 and ACC (traitor) schools.

Semi-related, what is the temperature these days in the MW regarding merging all schools as opposed to kicking 2 or 3 to the curb? I'm OK with taking them all. A 14-team league, playing a robust non-con schedule, looks good to me. Maybe Alaska Air would become our sponsoring corporation. Any of you ever see the Alaska WSU Cougar painted plane? It is pretty cool looking.

And to Meister's post, WSU will never become another U of Idaho. One last thing, let's not forget BB. I see my Cougs just inked home-and-homes with the hated huskies. Another opportunity for the new league to play more nearby P4 non-con teams instead of Northwestern Central Eastern Bum-F State matchups.

Last edited:
I prefer to UW one when flying out of SeaTac... lol
Honestly, Id like to dump some of the conference dead weight and would love to see Reno try and survive in the WAC or whatever is left over while we flourish.. but the best and easiest thing to do is to merge all together and keep strong conference together.. Im holding out hope that the Big 12 comes calling with another competent season in football, they are already moving Championship game and media week to Vegas.

I prefer to UW one when flying out of SeaTac... lol
Honestly, Id like to dump some of the conference dead weight and would love to see Reno try and survive in the WAC or whatever is left over while we flourish.. but the best and easiest thing to do is to merge all together and keep strong conference together.. Im holding out hope that the Big 12 comes calling with another competent season in football, they are already moving Championship game and media week to Vegas.
This is one of the many reasons that I give to my idiot fellow Cougs to support a merger ASAP. We are going to sit on our hands with our lame Commissioner, and WSU's lame AD and lame duck President, and be shocked when the Big-12 snags UNLV and SDSU.

This is one of the many reasons that I give to my idiot fellow Cougs to support a merger ASAP. We are going to sit on our hands with our lame Commissioner, and WSU's lame AD and lame duck President, and be shocked when the Big-12 snags UNLV and SDSU.
They should hurry up and figure out whatever concessions are necessary to pave the way... KU might be heading to the SEC and Im sure another Big 12 team like a Baylor or Oklahoma St. wont be far behind...

Why aren’t we thinking big and going to the Big 12?

We would get massacred every game but we have a nice shiny stadium that people can go to..

Thumbing your noses at us like you’re Pac 12 royalty.

GTFO here!!!

• Haha
Thumbing your noses at us like you’re Pac 12 royalty.

GTFO here!!!

The WSU eyeballs were due to the competition played but I’ll stop now.
Well you guys are getting kind of surly toward the friendly and forward-thinking Loyal One. I'm not thumbing my nose at you at all. My idiot Coug brethren? Well, that's not me.

And yeah, eyeballs because of the competition played? Of course. Which is why I posted that a "PacWest" OOC schedule against the P4 Pac traitors would garner more eyeballs for everyone. And playing OSU and WSU would garner more eyeballs for you all. And our fans at your home games.

I am warming up to the idea of the "Alaska Air PacWest-14" conference. And to speak to royalty, how many of the MW teams get to see a plane like this painted in your colors land at your airports? (Link below, had to throw in a little dig) Somewhere I have a picture from our airport when Robert Gates (then Secretary of the Defense?) spoke at commencement, and on the tarmac were his United States of America plane parked right next to the then turboprop Coug plane.

Well you guys are getting kind of surly toward the friendly and forward-thinking Loyal One. I'm not thumbing my nose at you at all. My idiot Coug brethren? Well, that's not me.

And yeah, eyeballs because of the competition played? Of course. Which is why I posted that a "PacWest" OOC schedule against the P4 Pac traitors would garner more eyeballs for everyone. And playing OSU and WSU would garner more eyeballs for you all. And our fans at your home games.

I am warming up to the idea of the "Alaska Air PacWest-14" conference. And to speak to royalty, how many of the MW teams get to see a plane like this painted in your colors land at your airports? (Link below, had to throw in a little dig) Somewhere I have a picture from our airport when Robert Gates (then Secretary of the Defense?) spoke at commencement, and on the tarmac were his United States of America plane parked right next to the then turboprop Coug plane.

Have you not figured RebelScrub out yet?

SDSU had an Aztec plane for a while, we hated on them back then too... Boise too I think has a plane... Vegas has too many airlines as a major hubs, not the tiny little regional thing you got up there in Pullman...
And we get US Presidents at UNLV debating in the gym where we hang our National Championship banners...USA basketball plays at our facilities... I'd say it's a little bigger scale than a turbo prop and Sec Def...

Now that we have a football season that is worth waiting for, our expectation is that UNLV will go to a bowl game again, thus UNLV is quickly moving upwards as an impact athletic program!

SDSU had an Aztec plane for a while, we hated on them back then too... Boise too I think has a plane... Vegas has too many airlines as a major hubs, not the tiny little regional thing you got up there in Pullman...
And we get US Presidents at UNLV debating in the gym where we hang our National Championship banners...USA basketball plays at our facilities... I'd say it's a little bigger scale than a turbo prop and Sec Def...
Now you all are getting under my skin. I am proud of my Cougs. I support the merger with the entire MW. And your big-ass airport and large metro area clearly outclasses my poor Cougs and our tiny airport. We should just go to Division 2.

2023 FB attendance: UNLV, 23,661, WSU, 28,023
2023 TV viewership: UNLV, 287K, WSU 1.08M.

Now you all are getting under my skin. I am proud of my Cougs. I support the merger with the entire MW. And your big-ass airport and large metro area clearly outclasses my poor Cougs and our tiny airport. We should just go to Division 2.

Surely we can at least all agree that Pullman is better than reno.

No direct hate, just being realistic with you.

Your tv viewership was because you’d play Oregon, USC, UCLA, etc. We play New Mexico, San Jose, etc. If you can’t see why you were more “attractive” then me explaining it more that this is like talking to a wall.

I’m truly not trying to be a jerk about it. I’m trying to see things as objectively as possible, given that these are only my subjective opinions.

My opinion: You were viewed as elite to MWC members due to your affiliation with P5. Now that it’s gone, I see you becoming.. maybe.. MWC level.

So, keep thinking that you are still elite. I truly don’t care since I only care about UNLV.

The biggest drag on UNLV football viewership in the past was because UNLV wasn't a good team that could draw in the casual viewer, played a schedule with half of the games either not on TV or on a network with a small potential viewership audience, and without enough big name teams on the schedule (it should be noted that many of the games on streaming networks show up as a zero audience since they are not publicly rated which lowers the viewership of UNLV games). In 2023 UNLV had five games on the Silver State Sports and Entertainment Network (SSSEN), one game on CBS, two games on the CBS sports network, two games on FS1, and one on the MWC network (not rated).. The TV networks and streaming services scrambled to add games when they figured out UNLV actually had a good team, but it was too late to get them on better networks, so they took what they could get.

UNLV verse Kansas in the bowl game had 2.69 million viewers, and UNLV verse BSU in the MWC had 1.26 million viewers. Since Washington State did not go to a bowl game, there is no way to compare. It should be noted that the Washington State verse Washington (ranked #4 in the country) game had a round 5.5 million viewers which does skew the numbers also. It should be noted that Boise State verse UCLA on ABC only had 2.38 million viewers.

Overall UNLV was first in the MWC in viewership with an average of 1.46 million viewers in five publicly rated games. The problem for UNLV viewership is that games with CBS sports network, MWC network and other streaming networks are not publicly rated so show up as a zero for UNLV in regards to viewership audiences which lowers all the numbers for MWC teams. https://www.idahostatesman.com/spor...ty/boise-state-football/article284130098.html

This next season it appears all the games UNLV plays in will be on TV, but some will still be streaming games that will not be publicly counted in regards to viewership audience averages. UNLV will be playing on FS1 (3) and ESPN (1) as well as the CW (1) along with streaming on CBS sports network (4). The only game that is not currently listed as a TV game is Utah Tech which will most likely end up on the Silver State Sprts and Entertainment Network which is Fox 5.

Last edited:
No direct hate, just being realistic with you.

Your tv viewership was because you’d play Oregon, USC, UCLA, etc. We play New Mexico, San Jose, etc. If you can’t see why you were more “attractive” then me explaining it more that this is like talking to a wall.

I’m truly not trying to be a jerk about it. I’m trying to see things as objectively as possible, given that these are only my subjective opinions.

My opinion: You were viewed as elite to MWC members due to your affiliation with P5. Now that it’s gone, I see you becoming.. maybe.. MWC level.

So, keep thinking that you are still elite. I truly don’t care since I only care about UNLV.
I have never said or implied this. I never thought we were ever elite. And yes, we are now MWC level. I get it. The rest of the idiot Cougs don't.

And on the TV numbers, I don't disagree at all with what you say. My only comment there is that our TV eyeballs were better than numerous Pac-12 teams. AZ, ASU, Stanford and Cal specifically.

I have never said or implied this. I never thought we were ever elite. And yes, we are now MWC level. I get it. The rest of the idiot Cougs don't.

And on the TV numbers, I don't disagree at all with what you say. My only comment there is that our TV eyeballs were better than numerous Pac-12 teams. AZ, ASU, Stanford and Cal specifically.
ASU didn't show their hot women during the game (I'll argue that they have/had the hottest women of any school). They could draw more eyeballs than Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan combined!

Cal and Stanford are too good to pay attention to measly sporting events when they could be discussing why Pythagorean Theorem is so important in daily life.

UofA is a basketball school, even though it does surprise me that you were had a higher viewership. I'll give you that one.

The rivalry with Washington is the main game you should try to keep. Close to 6 million viewers, which was one of the top viewed college football games of the season. The interesting thing is how far down Boise State has dropped from where they were in the past considering UNLV had much better viewership against Kansas than BSU did verse UCLA.

The rivalry with Washington is the main game you should try to keep. Close to 6 million viewers, which was one of the top viewed college football games of the season. The interesting thing is how far down Boise State has dropped from where they were in the past considering UNLV had much better viewership against Kansas than BSU did verse UCLA.
They haven't really been nationally relevant in almost 10 years... their fan base/market isn't large enough to sustain the decline in relevance.

They haven't really been nationally relevant in almost 10 years... their fan base/market isn't large enough to sustain the decline in relevance.
I know this last season was helped by the Michigan game, but the increase in viewers was also noticeable. UNLV has a great chance to be the new breakout program which could be great for national viewership! Everyone loves an underdog.

I know this last season was helped by the Michigan game, but the increase in viewers was also noticeable. UNLV has a great chance to be the new breakout program which could be great for national viewership! Everyone loves an underdog.
Year one was tremendous in terms of setting a strong foundation. Well, it seems like that, I guess we will know more moving forward but it’s what I have my eye on as much as I do wins or losses.

From where we were - which had been, at least the way I saw it - a disorganized mess without any direction or guardrails. Not just Arroyo … every coach before him to varying degrees, back to Robinson, who I thought was pretty organized, the program was “tighter” …. And I thought Odom brought that in year one (I could be wrong but that’s the way it appeared to me). Which is more impressive than the results to me.

It would be cool if Alaska Airlines dedicated an aircraft to each conference member school. Well, with the exception of boyzee. They can paint a service truck for them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT